Sunrise of Sonning, Reading, Berkshire

Sunrise of Sonning lies on the outskirts of the picturesque village of Sonning, a short distance from the River Thames. The community is ideal for those looking for forward-thinking residential care, dementia care and nursing care. Set over two and a half acres, it’s one of the largest Sunrise communities – offering a wide range of accommodation options and beautiful landscaped gardens. With Reading town centre a short car journey away, easy access to London via the local train station, plus excellent links to the M4 and M40, the location makes it easy for family and friends to visit.

Group: Sunrise Senior Living

Person in charge: Malcolm Hague (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wokingham Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 103 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Sunrise of Sonning: click here

9.5 Sunrise of Sonning has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.462)

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Sunrise of Sonning is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 28 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Sunrise of Sonning in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.782 for Sunrise of Sonning is calculated as follows: ( (270 Excellents x 5) + (57 Goods x 4) + (8 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 335 Ratings = 4.782

The 4.68 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Sunrise of Sonning is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 20.6 positive Reviews (103 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 20.6 Target = 0.680

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Sunrise of Sonning?

Reviewer Connection to Sunrise of Sonning

I first approached Sunrise of Sonning about care for my 98-year-old Aunt in December 2017. The Community Relations Director was extremely helpful and kept in touch with me whilst my Aunt spent 5 weeks in the hospital. I was able to choose a lovely room which I felt my Aunt would like. My Aunt was discharged from Hospital on 9th January to Sunrise. She was treated with care, compassion and dignity by all the staff who came into contact with her. They respected her wishes at all times. All the staff that I came into contact with were extremely friendly courteous and so kind and helpful.

Sadly my Aunt passed away 20 days later, but I know that during her time at Sunrise she received the best care and attention possible. I would have no hesitation in recommending this home to anyone.

Activities: Don't Know

Marketing, Marketing at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 15 Feb 2018:

Firstly, please accept our sincere condolences for your recent loss and thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Sunrise of Sonning – particularly at such a difficult time.
Your feedback is important to us, as is the care and well-being of all of our residents. We take great pride in ensuring we deliver high-quality care and facilities to make a difference to our residents and their families lives.
The Sunrise of Sonning Team.

Making a choice of a home is not an easy decision. The staff at Sunrise have met all expectations. The care is delivered to a high standard, most importantly, I feel my relative is safe and I feel supported with my family. The care is outstanding, incorporating good communication and dignity and always with a smile. There is a wonderful feeling when you visit as the environment is friendly and happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

Marketing, Marketing at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 09 Feb 2018:

The Sunrise of Sonning Team

This home has provided a level of care above excellent. This care extended my mother's life and is now extending my father's life. It is the best home I have ever seen and I used to inspect these types of premises for various London boroughs.
Staff provide an above excellent level of support and care. The value of this type of premises is reasonable in relation to the overall package of support provided to the residents. I am very thankful we found this service provider. Merry Christmas.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

Marketing, Digital Marketing Executive at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 12 Jan 2018:

The Sunrise of Sonning Team.

My uncle lived at Sunrise of Sonning for three years before his death this November. The care and attention he received for the whole of the 3 years was excellent and particularly so far his last month. The carers are all very good indeed and the surroundings very pleasant. Sometimes the food could be a wee bit better. My mother in law is also at Sunrise in Sonning and is always receiving excellent care. The communication between the nursing staff and myself was excellent too. I couldn't really fault anything.

The Sunrise of Sonning Team.

The home pays a lot of attention to detail and is very thorough in all aspects of the care and I am very confident that my mother is well looked after.
Facilities are generally very caring, enthusiastic and genuine in their work. Although there are one or two who do not attain the same high standard set by the majority.
I would struggle to find genuine criticism or fault with the home or care generally.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

UK Marketing, Marketing Assistant at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 28 Jun 2017:

The Sunrise of Sonning Team

The level of care is generally excellent and the environment, both communal and rooms/suite is generally 5 star hotel. The high cost is thus value for money.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

UK Marketing, Marketing Assistant at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 22 Jun 2017:

The Sunrise of Sonning Team

My mother was extremely reticent about changing her lifestyle to one where she would rely on others for her daily needs, but since moving to Sunrise, with few exceptions, she has settled in and is now very happy to be living in this community. It has given my siblings and I a great deal of comfort to see Mum so happy and surrounded by both caring staff and vibrant company.
The staff are attentive and concientious, and have enough time to answer any and all questions from my family, and have created a stimulating environment of friendly people for my mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

UK Marketing, Marketing Assistant at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 19 Jun 2017:

The Sunrise of Sonning Team

Very caring and friendly staff. Excellent care. The home is very clean and is always kept at a high standard.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

UK Marketing, Marketing Assistant at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 14 Jun 2017:

The Sunrise of Sonning Team

This is an extremely well run care home (nursing) where there is a genuine interest in and care for residents.
The nursing care for my mother has been first class.
There is very little turnover of staff and they are all wonderful without fail. The care and attention given to my mother has stabilised her condition. I have every confidence that she is being well looked after all the time. The adherence to proper policies and processes is consistent and excellent. I am hopefully grateful to management, nurses and carers here. Could not ask for more.

The Sunrise of Sonning Team

My Nana has been at Sunrise for a few months now and each time I see her, I notice how happy she seems to be.
She has made quite a few like-minded friends and always seems to have enjoyed some sort of activity during the day....hand pampering was lovely apparently!
The food is good quality with plenty of choices and the staff always seem to have a smile on their faces.
Most importantly, the care she receives is fantastic and both my Mum and I are confident that we made the right choice in her living at Sunrise.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

UK Marketing, Marketing Assistant at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 13 Jun 2017:

The Sunrise of Sonning Team

I am very happy here and I like living here.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

UK Marketing, Marketing Assistant at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 15 Mar 2017:

The Sunrise of Sonning Team

No complaints what so ever.

The Sunrise of Sonning Team

Plenty of activities freely available. Pretty rooms. Friendly, caring and happy staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Likely

The Sunrise of Sonning Team

My friend has been with Sunrise for about 3 months now. She says this is the best decision she has made. She is looked after really well and is enjoying making new friends. I can't wait to hopefully move in myself one day.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

UK Marketing, Marketing Assistant at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 24 Feb 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Sunrise of Sonning.
Your feedback is important to us, as is the care and well-being of all of our residents. We take great pride in ensuring we deliver high-quality care and facilities to make a difference to our residents and their families lives and look forward to welcoming you in the future.
The Sunrise of Sonning Team.

My parents moved into Sunrise of Sonning soon after it opened. Sunrise looked after Mum for four years and Dad for seven years. The staff there are very kind and considerate to residents and their families. I cannot fault the care given. It is obvious that most of the staff are carers because they genuinely love their work and the residents - so much so that when a resident dies staff are very genuinely upset and are keen to attend funerals, even when off duty.

Naturally, the primary objective for staff is to care for residents - and that is what they are good at. Some of them are less gifted at administration and communication, however, we understand as that isn't why they are there.

After its early years of frequently changing management staff, Sonning is now in a stable period of good, consistent management. I would gladly recommend it. It has the comforts expected of a good hotel, with the high standard of care that you would expect for your loved one.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

UK Marketing, Marketing Assistant at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 20 Feb 2017:

The Sunrise of Sonning Team.

Sunrise of Sonning came highly recommended at a time when my 86-year-old mother-in-law needed care urgently. We were concerned about moving her out of her home, but from day one, she took to life at Sunrise of Sonning with great enthusiasm and is very happy. All aspects of her care are delivered professionally but with great sensitivity and compassion. I cannot speak highly enough of the care that Sunrise of Sonning provides.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

UK Marketing, Marketing Assistant at Sunrise of Sonning responded to this review on 11 Nov 2016:

The Sunrise of Sonning Team.

The care home is about as good as it can be. The building is in lovely grounds which are very well maintained. The reception desk is welcoming. A bistro is available, all with good food and drinks to friends and relatives at all times and they are well replenished. The room which my mother lives in is bright and airy and kept clean and neat. The carers are warm and friendly, attentive and generous and generally prompt in their response to a call. The nurses are kind, patient and show a genuine interest in my mum and contact the family as and when necessary. Although my mum is not mobile and cannot attend many activities, she is included where possible and enjoys doing word games etc.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Likely

All staff members are polite, friendly and welcoming. The carers are attentive to family concerns and where practicable and possible assist in resolving issues. The nursing staff and carers are proactive, supportive and flexible to his family's approaches. Whilst the food is not always up to standard, the kitchen staff do a very good job in supporting the residents. My father recently moved rooms and we feel that an air conditioning problem took too long to sort out.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

Incredible facilities. Caring staff. Happy Place.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

From our first meeting with the manager we have been totally delighted by the professionalism and the outstanding care my mother in law has received. It was a difficult decision to move her from Cornwall but she is much happier in her new home and we have been able to see improvements following her stroke. The staff have all been brilliant and nothing is too much. Any concerns are addressed immediately and all the staff show real care and involvement in the community. If has lifted a weight off our shoulders. We thank them.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

From the four carers who welcomed him at the door, to the bowl of fresh raspberries always at this bedside, he felt welcomed and cared for. Richard needed a lot of help and this was always given. We, his family, felt part of the team and we all agreed that Richard lived in a 5 star hotel! The food was very good with choice of menu, and the staff were always willing to make alternative if the resident asked for it. To quote Richard after a two week stay 'I am very happy here' - what more can I say? I have already mentioned 'Sunrise' to many elderly friends and I would be very happy to talk to anyone who may be considering becoming a resident.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

Sunrise provides a kind, caring environment, staff work very hard and are so welcoming. I cannot find fault in anything, staff, activities, care, food, cleanliness, basically a high level standard in all categories. Sunrise is a prime example of what all nursing/care homes should be like.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

We are very impressed with the planning of the building there is so much space at the front for plenty of parking and beautiful gardens at the back to walk around. Internally the layout is also great so there is no feeling of being confined. The staff are all brilliant, everyone is so friendly and we can't fault the care mum gets. There is always a feeling of life going on her, so mum doesn't feel shut away from the world. The food is great and mealtimes are a real social event for mum. We also appreciate the range of activities that are laid on, and the enthusiasm and thought that the staff put into them. Since coming her mum has gone from being depressed and lonely to being happy and outgoing.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

From when we first visited 5 years ago we were made to feel welcome. The accommodation is purpose built set in lovely well kept garden with easy resident access. Residents fell as if they are staying in an up market hotel. There is a good range of activities and outings to suit a wide range of interests and resident capacity. Sunrises greatest asset is the staff who are really loving and caring and treat all the residents with respect. They also interact regularly with the family so that we to feel we belong to the sunrise family. Above all at nearly 97, mum is happy and contented to be part of Sunrise community.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

Mum moved into Sunrise in Sonning in December 2015, when she arrived she was traumatised, very sad and frightened, her previous care home (not part of the Sunrise group) had failed her on so many levels. Sunrise took mum under their wings and within just a few days we began to see that the expert care they offer was working its magic and now In just a few weeks mums well being is on a new level. Compassion and kindness overflows as an integral part of the Sunrise care, every member of staff seems dedicated not only doing their job to their best but they all seem so happy looking after the residents. Mum's family and friends enjoy visiting her now and are overwhelmed by the care mum receives, they see her smiling, joining in with the many activities Sunrise offers and the lovely food on the daily menus. We her family cannot express our gratitude to the team at Sunrise, seeing mum smiling again is truly amazing. Sunrise at Sonning should be used as the blue print for all care homes, what a difference that would make to elderly care.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

My brother and I happened upon Sunrise of Sonning purely by chance, when we were in need of 24 hour care for our elderly and very unwell dad. Sadly, he was not there for very long before he passed away but we all found the nursing, the care, the food, the ambience and the welcoming "at home" atmosphere to be outstanding. Whoever we met, whether they were cleaning the room, seeing him to a table or issuing his medication were kind, considerate, lovely people who were very good at what they did. Our dad called us "geniuses" for finding this care home for him. Thanks to everyone who looked after him. We would highly recommend Sunrise of Sonning to other people looking for a care home with a distinct difference.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

My husband and I came to Sunrise on Aug 11 2014. My husband needed care and I would like to say we were treated kindly in every way at all times. Sadly he died on 25.9.15 having been expertly nursed. I now take this opportunity to live in an apartment of my own very close to my children. My time at Sunrise has been unforgettable and memorable.

How likely would you be to recommend Sunrise of Sonning? Extremely Likely

Mum became a resident at Sunrise in October 2014 and really it was only the nursing function that needed improvement. However, since the appointment of the new General Manager and new team the establishment is simply out of this world. The staff are fabulous, the facilities 5 star and my family are safe in the knowledge our Mum is happy and superbly card for. When Mum said it was good to be home after a particularly stressful day at hospital, it was the pivotal moment.

Submit a Review for Sunrise of Sonning

Malcolm

Malcolm Hague

At Sunrise of Sonning we provide a homely environment for all our residents and deliver a great all-round service. We have a brilliant, experienced team who will always go out of their way to make sure that each and every resident has their specific needs taken care of. It's a lovely place to work and we all strive to ensure that we do something great every day.

Carmela

Carmela Magbitang

Job Title: Deputy Manager

I joined the team in May 2015 having worked in the healthcare industry for many years. I am extremely passionate about delivering exceptional person-centred care to our residents and ensuring the highest standards of care are met. I am proud to be the Deputy Manager and thoroughly enjoy working with our residents, their families and the entire care team at Sunrise of Sonning.

Daniella

Daniella Johnson

Job Title: Reminiscence Co-ordinator

I started working as a Lead Care Assistant for Sunrise of Sonning in Reminiscence when it opened over 6 years ago. I have since progressed to Med Tech, Deputy Reminicence Co-ordinator, acting Assisted Living Co-ordinator and now I have the privilege of becoming the Reminiscence Co-ordinator. I am delighted to lead my dedicated team to ensure we deliver the best person-centred dementia care. Every day is different and to understand the needs of our residents, building relationships with them and keeping in touch with their families, is the most important and rewarding job. Each individual makes my day worthwhile, and a smile and a hug completes it!

Sandeep

Sandeep Nandhra-Gourlay

Job Title: Director of Community Relations

My role is to support families and loved ones who are thinking about care options. I try and make the process smooth and stress free during what can be an extremely emotional experience. I am proud to welcome families to sunrise and join them on their journey in becoming part of our community. Seeing residents enjoying their new home and making new memories, is the ultimate reward.

Janet

Janet Alibaya

Job Title: Assisted Living Co-ordinator

I am delighted to be the Assisted Living Co-ordinator here at Sunrise of Sonning and I will lead by example as well as I promote compassion and an understanding that we can all provide an excellent service and show respect for all. My background has been in healthcare, and includes working as a Senior Carer for 8 years and a year as the Assistant Manager of a Nursing Home. I enjoy supporting, leading and helping my fantastic team of staff along with getting to know each and every resident here at Sunrise of Sonning.

Georgina

Georgina Williams

Job Title: Activities and Volunteers Co-ordinator

I manage the wide range of clubs, hobbies, entertainers, live music, outings, guest speakers and exercise classes we have on offer at Sonning. With input from the residents my team also holds regular family events and social evenings. Having such a variety allows the residents to pick and choose what they wish to be involved in.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Sunrise of Sonning