Alexandra House, Harwich, Essex

Alexandra House combines professional residential care with a friendly environment, with personally tailored care packages and staff dedicated to a 24-hour service.

The aim is to help individuals achieve a fulfilling later life, with peace of mind and security, a respect for personal interests and a person-centred direction to all care provision.

With the property having been converted from a private hotel, Alexandra House residents enjoy scenic grounds, including views of the seafront, and an interior adapted to suit reduced mobility.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 47 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Alexandra House: click here

9.8 Alexandra House has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.821)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Alexandra House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 15 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Alexandra House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.821 for Alexandra House is calculated as follows: ( (147 Excellents x 5) + (32 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 179 Ratings = 4.821

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Alexandra House is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.4 positive Reviews (47 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 9.4 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Alexandra House?

Reviewer Connection to Alexandra House

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

My father went into Alexandra House at the end of April 2016, having prostate cancer, which we knew had spread to a kidney. My mother was transferred from an LA care home to Alexandra House and she was given a room next to Dad. They were both treated very kindly and with dignity and love. Dad was taken ill on 28/12/16 and we were asked if he should be transferred to the local hospice - we said No, as he was so settled and mum was with him. He passed away on 1st Jan 17. Mum was really cherished by staff and she had a stroke on 18/03/17 and taken to the hospital, where she passed away on 28/03/17. The staff at Alexandra were marvellous. We still keep in touch.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 07 Jul 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experiences of Alexandra House. Please accept my sincere condolences following the passing away of your Father and Mother. I am so pleased to hear that your parents were really cherished by the staff and it is wonderful that you will keep in touch with the staff.

My partner had a new lease of life following his admission from hospital to Alexandra House - we didn't think that he would still be here with us and we have the home to thank for this.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 15 Jun 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience of Alexandra House. I am so pleased to hear that your partner found a new lease of life following his admission to the Home from Hospital. Your valued feedback will be shared with our team. Thank you.

I am very lucky to be here. It is a lovely home and we have the sea, so enjoy every day.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 19 Jun 2017:

I am so pleased to hear that you are happy at Alexandra House and enjoying the sea views. Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments to us. Very much appreciated.

My Mum has been at Alexandra House for over a year and we are grateful to everyone as they made us all feel very welcome especially for all the kindness and care given to Mum. It has taken a huge worry from us knowing that Mum is being cared for so well in such beautiful surroundings.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding Alexandra House. I am so glad to hear that the care and kindness shown to your Mum has taken a worry away from you. Your feedback is important to us and will be shared with the team. Thank you again.

I love it here, everyone is kind and help me. I am very lucky.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 25 May 2017:

I am so pleased to hear that you love it at Alexandra House and that everyone is kind and help you. I will share your feedback with our team. Thank you.

Lovely home, kind staff, nice food, lots to do here.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for sharing your experiences of Alexandra House. I will ensure that your comments regarding the care staff and the kitchen team are shared with them. Thank you.

My partner is very happy here and being at Alexandra house has been a great help to him. Fantastic views!

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your kind comments about Alexandra House. I am so glad to hear that your partner is very happy living there and appreciate the lovely views. I will ensure they are shared with our team.

My overall experience has been good. The location of the home is fantastic. Overall, I have had few complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experiences of Alexandra House. Your comments are much appreciated.

Alexandra House staff are superb! They are compassionate, caring and extremely hard working. Management is supportive and do their best to provide quality service for each individual. Concerns or requests are quickly and positively dealt with. Accommodation is luxurious, with plenty of room to manoeuvre. Ensuite facilities are better than some starred hotels! Sea views and close proximity to shops and facilities and transport are available.

The grounds are well kept, but with poor entrance facility lying in a wind tunnel between sea and car park gives little weather protection. Food is tasty and plentiful, and help for special needs is provided. A daily menu offers a fair food choice.
The house manager keeps residents abreast of craft activities, podiatry, hairdressing visits etc. The MHA Christian ethos is unobtrusive but in evidence. A chaplain visits and holds non-obligatory services or meetings. Access to other faith is available. Alexandra House is the best I have visited and good value for its charges. It provides a Rolls Royce service to its guests!

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 24 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your feedback regarding Alexandra House. It is particularly pleasing to hear that you feel the team are compassionate, caring and hardworking. I will ensure that your feedback is shared across the whole staff team. Your comments are much appreciated. Thank you.

I cannot fault Alexandra House. The care and support they have provided for my nan has been outstanding and all the staff are very friendly and my nan loves them!

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

I have a lovely room overlooking the sea and my wife has now moved in, so that brings me great comfort knowing she is here.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 11 May 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience so far of Alexandra House. I am so pleased that you are enjoying the views from one of our lovely sea view rooms. I will share your comments with our team.

I have been lucky enough to move into Alexandra House to be with my husband. I have a fantastic room overlooking the sea and the staff have been very nice. The food is good and if my husband is unable to make it to the dining room, we can have our meals together in his room. There is a good activity programme but we have yet to attend as my husband does not always feel up to this. Overall I am very happy to be here at Alexandra House.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Your feedback regarding Alexandra House is much appreciated. I am really pleased to hear that you are happy with the Home. I will ensure your comments are shared with our team.

I am so pleased to have finally moved into Alexandra House. It was a big decision for me to make but I am positive it was the right one. Being able to bring in my own furniture from my home, is a really big comfort for me, so it continues to feel like a home from home. I am positive that I will enjoy living here.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your experiences to date at Alexandra House. I am so pleased so hear that your have settled in to your new Home. With very best wishes from all at Alexandra House.

Fantastic views- good care are provided and always felt welcome. My aunt was there for respite and she really enjoyed her stay- staff made it positive for my aunt to return home with their support as she regained her confidence- our one and only choice of where we wanted her to stay. Thank you Alexandra House and also MHA.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Extremely Likely

Hayley Salter, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 13 Apr 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your experiences of Alexandra House. I am so pleased that your Aunt’s respite stay with us was so successful. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our staff team.

The staff are very good with my mother and patient as she can be very awkward at times.

How likely would you be to recommend Alexandra House? Likely

Vanessa Pratt, Home Manager at Alexandra House responded to this review on 11 Jan 2016:

Thank you for your positive feedback. I am glad you feel we are very good with your Mother. I will pass on your comments to the staff team.

Submit a Review for Alexandra House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Alexandra House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Alexandra House