Larchwood Care Centre, Braintree, Essex

The newly refurbished Larchwood Care Centre is located in a quiet rural location on the outskirts of Braintree, and close to the village of Bocking. The purpose-built 64 bedded accommodation offers residential, dementia and respite care.

At Larchwood Care Home residents have a choice of lounge areas with lovely views of the gardens or surrounding countryside, which feature comfortable and specially designed furnishings. The home has a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms; some rooms also have a choice of views.

There is a small coffee room, where residents can sit with their friends and relatives and enjoy fresh cakes, a selection of teas and coffee whilst having a chance to catch up.

Chefs at Larchwood pride themselves in knowing the tastes of residents and preparing a choice of home cooked, fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs. At HC-One, experienced home managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Jade Smith (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 64 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Parkinson's Disease

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own Furniture if required • Near Public Transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Larchwood Care Centre: click here

posted 31 Oct 2017

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

9.3 Larchwood Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.319)

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Larchwood Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 28 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Larchwood Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.319 for Larchwood Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (167 Excellents x 5) + (123 Goods x 4) + (34 Satisfactorys x 3) + (7 Poors x 2) + (4 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 335 Ratings = 4.319

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Larchwood Care Centre is based on 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12.8 positive Reviews (64 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 13 Reviews ÷ 12.8 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Larchwood Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Larchwood Care Centre

• Sister-in-law of Resident/Service User

My mother has been in Larchwood for nearly 2 years.
I am so impressed with the whole place, the staff stay the same, everyone is happy, caring and helpful.
It is a home from home, music playing, people chatting and residents being encouraged to take part in activities.
I cannot praise this unit highly enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Very caring. Will call if there are any problems or incidents that relate to my mother. Good value for money, activities lack at present due to relevant staff leaving. Care is taken in personal appearance with hair, nails etc. A doctor is always called if needed.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Claire Hurworth, Careline Manager at Larchwood Care Centre responded to this review on 16 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate all feedback received as it helps us improve our service where required. Larchwood has a schedule of planned activities which are displayed within the home. A newsletter will be sent out to all relatives to inform them of the planned activities within the service for the next few weeks, leading up to Christmas. This will be bi-monthly going forward. We have a team of volunteers who support the service which includes delivering activities to our residents. The staff and the management team are currently supporting the activity programme to ensure that it meets the needs of our residents.

We always find the staff at Larchwood friendly, professional, helpful and compassionate. Mum seems happy and settled in the home, and has been there 18 months. The staff all seem to know mum very well. Nothing is too much trouble, and everywhere is clean and tidy. I am a little concerned that there are no social staff at present, and it seems the residents are missing out on this vital service. Sometimes items go missing in the laundry, but I realise they have a mammoth task getting everything back to the right resident. These are small quibbles. The home is excellent.

Lovely, helpful staff.
Kind and caring.
My mother is treated with dignity and respect.
I feel the staff are genuinely fond of mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The staff/carers at Larchwood are excellent, although in my opinion there should be more carers on at any one time. I feel HCOne expect too much from their employees.
There doesn't appear to have been much entertainment or activities recently.
Carers are always happy to talk about any concerns you may have.
Overall I am very happy with Larchwood.

Activities: Very Poor

Katie Price, Careline Advisor at Larchwood Care Centre responded to this review on 08 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your review, we value all feedback received which helps us to maintain the kindest care we provide to our residents here at Larchwood. Larchwood has a schedule of planned activities delivered by both internal and external people which is displayed within the home. We have a team of volunteers who support the service, which includes delivering activities to our residents and also spending one to one time with our residents. The staff and the management team are currently supporting the activity programme to ensure that it meets the needs of our residents whilst we recruit to fill the vacancy for a Wellbeing Co-ordinator. We aim to keep all relatives informed of our progress and in the meantime the management team will ensure this does not impact on the residents within the service.

At the time of writing Larchwood does not have a dedicated activity coordinator and residents do not have much stimulation. I complained about the cleanliness of wheelchairs and this appears to be improved.
The staff are caring and attentive to the residents.

Activities: Very Poor

Thank you for your review, we value all feedback received which helps us to maintain the kindest care we provide to our residents here at Larchwood. We review our staffing ratio on a monthly basis, or when a need arises, to ensure that our staffing ratio is suitable to meet the needs of our residents. Larchwood has a schedule of planned activities delivered by both internal and external people which is displayed within the home. We also have a team of volunteers who support the service which includes delivering activities to our residents. The staff and the management team are currently supporting the activity programme to ensure that it meets the needs of our residents whilst we recruit to fill the vacancy for a Wellbeing Co-ordinator. We aim to keep all relatives informed of our progress and in the meantime, the management team will ensure this does not impact on the residents within the service.

Has been nice so far. All the staff are very nice and quiet and caring and my mom is quite settled which has made the experience more bearable.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

There have been some issues with Larchwood, in particular, keeping the care home managers - 3 in 5 years! But, the quality of care was always good and reliable. The home has recently been totally redecorated to a very high standard, which made visiting a lot more enjoyable. All the staff seemed dedicated to their job and on the whole, most were very approachable.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Larchwood Care Centre responded to this review on 07 Aug 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.
We appreciate your positive comments which will be passed on to the team.
With regards to your comments about the Home Manager, I have now been at Larchwood for the last 3 years, of which the last 18 months as Home Manager and I look forward to continuing with the company in the future. I operate an open door policy, please feel free to call in when you are visiting to discuss any concerns you may have.

My mother was admitted to Larchwood as her place of safety in April 2017 and my father was admitted May 2017. My mother has dementia and my father has terminal cancer and is receiving end of life care. Larchwood has given myself and my family something we haven't had for a long time and that is peace of mind. The excellent care they are both receiving assures us they are safe and being well cared for. It is a difficult situation as they have very different needs but all the staff have been supportive and caring while being very professional. I cannot praise them enough for their care.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

As I live a long way away and due to circumstances I am not able to visit now, but I use to up until last year I always found it very friendly and enjoyed visiting my brother-in-law. Now I only phone and he always seems very happy and the staff are always very polite and friendly to me.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Likely

Although my husband was in this home for a short while, I found it excellent. On researching homes, I visited Larchwood Care Centre on spec and was welcomed and shown around immediately. A very good sign. It was clean and the facilities appeared to be excellent as proved to be the case on my husbands stay.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My father moved in on the 6th September 2016. I have seen a marked improvement in my father he seems happier and talkative. The staff are excellent helping him to settle in, since he has been there a lot of improvements have neem taking place but the staff have handled it well and still seem to care about how the residents are coping with the upheaval. I am so glad I picked this care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother has settled in well. She looks amazing, much of which is due to the staff chatting to her, good home cooking, mental stimulation and the activities which she joins in and enjoys very much. The staff keep on top of any health issues, referring her to the doctor when necessary. Care is taken to ensure all medications are taken at the right time. The stress and worries I had when she was at home have now gone as she is taken care of so well.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Have been a resident for four months with multiple medical problems. Was extremely ill and now I'm in good health and humour due to the wonderful care and attention I have received here. The staff are very supportive, helpful, considerate and capable in all aspects of care, even my diet problems have been supported and dealt with. I cannot speak highly enough about this care home and would recommend them to the highest degree.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother has been a resident at Larchwood since December 2015 and it would be fair to say she has taken a while to settle. However recently she said to me that the more she thought about it, the luckier she felt to have found Larchwood as a home. She still has up days and down days but hardly surprising as she approaches 90, with confusion, poor sight and arthritis. The staff have all gone out of their way to be welcoming, kind and caring. They are always cheerful and often have a laugh with her. I can't thank them enough for helping mum feel settled.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Since the first day my father walked through the doors of Larchwood he has been treated with dignity and respect. It is one of the hardest decisions to make to put someone you love into a care home. This has been respected by all staff, be it the management, care staff, kitchen staff, laundry staff, maintenance and entertainment. They have all made the move for him being an independent man, to somebody following several strokes and needs that bit of extra support, painless. I have not seen my father so happy. Thank you to all involved.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mum is extremely happy in Larchwood and very comfortable with the staff looking after her. They are incredibly dedicated to what is a very hard job. They are very respectful of my mum's dignity and desire for privacy but are always there when needed. On occasions when she has been taken ill they have always acted promptly and done all the right things keeping me informed at all times day or night.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother has only been at the home for approx 1 month but has settled in nicely. She was shown into the home after recovering from a broken hip. At 91 years of age with dementia she has not yet complained. The staff have been great. Very helpful and caring.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Just a brief chat as mum had only been in Larchwood for a month. All okay though.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

This relates to the intitial few days of my fathers move to the above. Excellent reception and welcoming by all the staff - very caring, allowed to settle in without any fuss. His room is well appointed with all he needs. However concerns were raised that after three days of being at the home, my father had not had a shower or bath. We had to prompt the staff that he needs a shower or bath at least alternate days. This has been addressed and are making good progress with the new action plan. Overall I am very pleased with this start.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Larchwood Care Centre responded to this review on 06 Apr 2016:

We always welcome feedback especially when a resident first comes to live at Larchwood. We strive to ensure that our residents are made to feel welcome and at home during the initial period while we support them with their transition into a care environment. The issue was addressed as soon as it came to light and we will continue to work in partnership with both resident and relatives to ensure continuity of care.

I was apprehensive about putting my mum into a care home to begin with. But when I went to Larchwood and met some of the staff, my fears were alleviated. I am impressed with the care my mum gets because her every need is taken care of, from safety; health needs; personal care such as hairdressing, pedicure, manicure, chiropodist; activities and outings. The whole place is kept very clean and tidy and every resident is called by name by ALL the staff. I feel very lucky that Larchwood could take my mum and I think she feels that way too.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

By far the most understanding and welcoming home I've experienced. As a maintenance engineer covering council run homes I see a lot of different approaches to care and Larchwood Home and especially staff are by far the most professional and supportive I've had the pleasure to be involved with.

10 out of 10 on all accounts.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Although the staff cannot force residents to do anything, my dad needs exercise because of bad circulation on hospitals request, this is not being carried out. Last Sunday my daughter visited with her dog of which fluff was left on floor from her toy, this was still there Monday lunch time. His bed was wet, when buzzer pressed to change bed it took ages for anyone to come. They stripped bed but was going to leave dirty duvet and pillows on bed. The activities are very poor, almost non existent. Some residents are just wandering around the corridors most of the time. There needs to be a great improvement.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Facilities: Poor

Cleanliness: Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

HC-One, Careline Team at Larchwood Care Centre responded to this review on 31 Mar 2016:

Thank you for submitting your review, feedback is always welcomed and acted upon.
We like to work in partnership with health professionals to provide the best level of care for all our residents here at Larchwood. We encourage our residents to exercise on a regular basis as part of their plan of care. We have a wide variety of activities throughout the home and we always encourage our residents to join in and are respectful of those that choose not to. We do have some residents that choose not to participate in activities on a regular basis so we provide 1.1 time where we spend time chatting and reading to them.

We are sorry you felt that your fathers buzzer wasn't answered in a timely manner, our staff were supporting other residents at this time, however we do endeavour to answer them as quickly as possible.

In regards to the bedding, I have addressed this with staff / housekeeping team during handover's and our daily flash meetings to reiterate the importance of infection control.

The home is very good,. Comfortable bedrooms and very caring staff. Plus plenty of good food.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother was taken into respite care at short notice on 22nd December due to my father being taken seriously ill and hospitalised. The staff are excellent in all aspects both in regard to my mother and ourselves. They show a great level of respect and understanding. The home itself is clean, bright and well presented with a very homely and relaxed feeling.

How likely would you be to recommend Larchwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My Mother-in-Law has been in respite since late April. On the whole communication is good, but there have been a number of exceptions.
1. Dressing of her leg to enable her to wear surgical shoes (which need to be worn in, and her confident with them for her rehabilitation).
2. As a diabetic, allowed to walk bare footed.
3. Sent to hospital to investigate a fall (her second requiring plaster during her stay). Not escorted and family were not informed. She was unaccompanied six hours. No food/drink. as no one was with her. She returned without meds. When this was highlighted by her son she was told they would sort it Monday. Her son sorted it that night. I feel that two members of staff deal with any concerns but we have had to return to the same issues time and again, 1 and 2 in particular. We are proactive in her care. What happens when a resident does not have an active advocate?

Care / Support: Poor

HC-One, Careline Team at Larchwood Care Centre responded to this review on 04 Jan 2016:

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is always appreciated and acted upon. All dressings are applied by our community nursing team and were bandaged from toe to knee in the case of your mother. This presented with some issues pertaining to wearing her surgical shoes as she found them uncomfortable and heavy to lift resulting in her choosing not to wear them or another replacement hindering her ability to wear appropriate shoes and her rehabilitation progress. In each case we have tried very hard to seek advice from the community nursing team and give feedback but we cannot always respond as swiftly as we would like as this is not part of our care home offering. That said, we will be liaising with our nurses to see how we can improve response times from family queries.

We are extremely sorry we were unable to escort your mother to the hospital but we can only do so if we have safe staffing levels to do so . We acknowledge this was disappointing and a worrying time for you for which we apologise. I understand several efforts were made to make contact with all next of kin listed but were unsuccessful. In addition it is the hospital's responsibility to ensure that the correct medication is brought back with your mother and arrangement had been made for them to be delivered.

The staff are very caring and helpful you cannot fault them but I would like to say they are not forceful enough. When you tell them your concerns about my dad needing to walk around more as his circulation is not right, as it was tested at hospital, I am very concerned. Also the cleaners in his room could be better. My sister and I am also not impressed with the cleanliness where his bed linen is concerned.

Cleanliness: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

HC-One, Careline Team at Larchwood Care Centre responded to this review on 22 Oct 2015:

"We do everything possible to provide the kindest care by respecting our residents choice and giving them the control through encouragement and engagement, we will never force a resident to do something against their wishes. This can, at times, present with identified risks which we try our best to reduce but unfortunately cannot always eliminate. We acknowledge that this can be worrying and disappointing for loved ones and so will always work together with the family to provide valuable honest feedback and work in partnership to provide the best care"

My mother is well cared for by all the carers she seems very happy and enjoys the food and activities. All staff are always friendly and very helpful. The gardens always look good no matter time of year.

Submit a Review for Larchwood Care Centre

Recipient: HC-One

Recipient: HC-One

Jade

Jade Smith

Joined: 2016

Introducing Jade Smith
Home Manager at Larchwood, Braintree

What does kindness mean to you?

“Kindness is not just saying nice words, but an act that makes that people feel extra special.”

Jade has gained more than 10 years’ experience in providing care and support for elderly people to enrich their lives. She is a dedicated leader who is passionate about delivering the highest possible standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Jade joined Larchwood as she closely shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. She uses her experience to motivate her team to deliver care and support in a way that Residents gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby organisations and is always quick to welcome the local community to Larchwood.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Jade remarked: “I love people and enjoy getting to know the various characters that I come into contact with.”

Outside of work, Jade enjoys walking her dogs, swimming and most of all, indulging her passion for shopping.

If you would like to find out more information about Larchwood, Jade has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion.

Jade

Jade Smith

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Jade remarked:

Outside of work, Jade enjoys walking her dogs,
swimming and most of all, indulging her passion for shopping.

You can contact Jade on 01376 347777 or via email on larchwood.manager@hc-one.co.uk.
Alternatively to make a new Resident enquiry, contact the Care Line team on 0333 999 8553.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Larchwood Care Centre