Marston Court

Marston Road, Marston, Oxford OX3 0DJ

Marston Court is a thirty-nine capacity care home located in Oxford, dedicated to person-centred methods and offering quality care for older people, adults diagnosed with dementia and a physiocal disability.

Care charity and provider The Orders of St John Care Trust are respected in the care sector for a flexible range of care provision, making the most of voluntary sector contributions in order to help vulnerable adults achieve a more dignified lifestyle.

Carers respect clients from all backgrounds, support an active and fulfilling lifestyle, and a nutritious diet, while maintaining strong local links.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Sharon Fenn (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Oxfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 39 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Marston Court: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Marston Court is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 34 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Marston Court in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.613 for Marston Court is calculated as follows: ( (271 Excellents x 5) + (101 Goods x 4) + (25 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 398 Ratings = 4.613

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Marston Court is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 7.8 positive Reviews (39 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 7.8 Target Reached = 1

9.6 Marston Court has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.613) from 34 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Marston Court?

Reviewer Connection to Marston Court

On all my visits to the home over a four year period I always found staff to be friendly and helpful. It was clean, warm and well managed at all times. My mother's personal care was excellent, a good blend of informal and professional. Throughout her stay I was reassured that she was warm, well fed and cared for. I would highly recommend this home.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

My mother in law was a resident of Marston Court for 4 years until she died. The care was always excellent - whenever we visited the atmosphere was open, honest and caring. Her main carer was so good at engaging my mother in law to care for herself, accept food and to feel relaxed and comfortable. Both my mother-in-law and I are nurses and we know good care when we see it. Marston Court was the best we could have hoped for her final years. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

Given my mother's character traits are exacerbated by her dementia, I feel the home do an amazing job to look after my mum because I cannot any longer.

They provide a lot of warmth, support and more importantly the continuity of kind care and persistence that allows my mother to continue to live as well as she does. Thank you.

Sometimes cerebral differences are not always considered.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

I use the home daily and there is a nice warm welcome, very homely, very clean and good. My partner is very happy there, it suits him.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

This is an amazing care home. From the atmosphere of warmth and happiness that meets you when you enter, to the fantastic care received by all. I can only describe it as one big family.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

Extensive changes during February are being made to the activities and restaurant area of the home. This has resulted in great difficulties for the staff because of major interruptions to the normal mealtimes and social routines.
Despite this, the staff have ensured that the residents are able to continue with the minimum of disruption and the excellent care has continued.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

My mother spent just over 3 very happy years at Marston Court. The staff looked after my mother with love and compassion and I can't thank them enough.
All the staff became more like friends to our family. My mother enjoyed all the activities that she participated in.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

My mother had a week's respite at Marston Court. This is her first time and was very anxious about her stay.
My first impression was what a relaxed atmosphere and "no" smell. Mum was made to feel at ease and I liked how the staff talked to mum rather than through me.
I came to pick mum up today, she looked so well and wanted to stay another week.
I would like to thank everyone for their kindness I would not hesitate to use Marston Court again for respite or longer term if the time comes. Many thanks

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

Very helpful, very overworked staff. Doing an excellent job keeping all of the resident and visitors happy. Looking forward to our mother using their day service as well as respite care in August. Very clean and friendly place.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

I would like to thank you Marston Court for excellent services I attended on 30/1/17. I would love to recommend Marston Court to anyone who needs in the future. Keep up the good work. Thank you again.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

All the staff at Marston Court were very helpful and good at their respective jobs. The carers looked after my husband with great care, kindness and patience. The group responsible for entertainment were really fantastic in getting the residents interested and involved in many different types of activities. The food was good and wholesome and the chef made extremely delicious cakes which the residents enjoyed a lot. I would certainly recommend this care home to any prospective resident.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

My friend says she is happy and her attitude shows this to be true. The friendliness of other residents and care of the staff is evident. Lists of activities show consideration of needs not just care sitting of residents. Day visits before living in Marston Court was a valuable way of meeting social needs whilst still living in a fairly independent life before moving into resident care.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

Marston Court is my mums home now and she really could not be happier. There is no doubt that her contentment is solely due to the most wonderful team - each and every one of them are angels. It's like a family and they all work so hard to keep things fun and ship shape. I hope they get some rewards for their work - an extra 1/2 day off or a massage - just a little something to show we relatives care about them, as they care for our relatives.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

From the first time my mother attended the day centre to her death in Marston Court she was treated with dignity and care. When completing her advance care plan she stated that Marston Court felt like family. Mum was unwell on several occasions and each time the staff dealt with her needs in a professional manner and kept the family fully informed. I would thoroughly recommend the care home. The staff are amazing and we are so grateful as a family that this was where she spent her final days.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

I visit Marston Court approximately twice each month in the afternoons. I am always made very welcome by all the staff who are cheerful and give the residents kind attention according to their needs. There is always something going on to entertain the residents who appear happy and join in with singing etc.
I am not there at meal times so cannot comment on the food. Always a lovely happy atmosphere at Marston Court.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

Marston Court has looked after my mother very well over the last two years or more. The staff are always friendly and welcoming to visitors (at anytime without any prior notice) They are kind to their residents, I have often seen them chatting and helping their charges. The home is very clean and pleasant environment and my mother's room is a pleasant bedsit. She is well looked after in terms of cleanliness, meals, laundry, hairdressing etc. The staff are knowledgeable and experienced, many of them here have been at Marston Court for many years. Altogether a kind a cheery atmosphere prevails.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

I come as a volunteer one morning a week and help with activities. I started in November 2015 and have been here regularly ever since. I have been very impressed too by their patience and cheerfulness in often trying situations. The range of activities each week is excellent and great trouble is taken to stimulate residents by getting them involved in current affairs and politics.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

A first class home providing the highest standards. The staff are very friendly and compassionate. A very high standard of cleanliness. The menu looks varied and of a high standard. The home provides good services such as hairdressers and chiropodists. My mother attends 3 days a week for 4 hours of activities such as sing along, bingo and zumba classes. I cannot rate this home highly enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

Very nice party. Food and drink excellent. Staff very friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

I have a 90 year old husband, he has been in Marston Court since January 2016. The carers (all of them) and office staff are very good, the food is also very nice. Every room is kept clean, chairs wiped down, and always set up nicely for each meal.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

I visit my brother every week and we play dominoes and rummikub. the staff are very friendly and usually provide me and my brother with a cup of tea and a biscuit. The place looks very clean and there are lovely outdoor spaces which look very well maintained. There appears to be plenty of activities laid on for the residents. The whole place seems to have a very friendly atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

I am very happy and comfortable living here. I came back here soon after a hip replacement and was very well cared for and assisted. The carers are very attentive I can be taken outside into the garden whenever I wish. Everyone here seems very happy and contented. I never hear anyone calling out in distress. The home arranged for my physiotherapy as the hospital had not contacted them.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

We both visit our friend at Marston Court fairly frequently and have always been impressed with the kindness and caring nature of all the staff there, with particular mention for the day carer, whom we have grown to know quite well.

The attention, care and patience shown to those residents whom we meet when we go to see her is something we recognise on every visit. They are also so kind and helpful to us on every occasion.

The cleanliness of the home is outstanding and its so nice to see that there are numerous activities for the residents to enjoy.

We both felt that we should place these views on record.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

I would recommend Marston Court to anyone, because its carers are good, which is the most important thing. The management and administrators are helpful and approachable, and the activities team do a good job in providing interests and companionship. Nothing is perfect in this world, especially with budget constraints, and I have sometimes wished for things like cover when activities staff are away, or better evening food
(jam sandwiches not unusual) Cycle parking is near the much used staff smoking area. I agree there should be weekend activities and the home sometimes smells of urine.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

Sharon Fenn, Home Manager at Marston Court responded to this review on 28 Jan 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. I am pleased to hear that you find Marston Court a caring place for your mother to live. I have noted the points that you made and am glad that we have had an opportunity to discuss these in detail. It was helpful to be able to explain how involved the residents are in making their own choices with regard to mealtimes, activities etc. We always do our utmost to put the well-being and comfort of our residents at the heart of all we do and I appreciate any feedback that enables us to improve our service. Please do not hesitate to come and talk to me at any time should you have any further concerns.

On the whole Marston Court is good with activities however weekend and evenings no good, have asked for puzzles etc. to be displayed in lounges for residents to do if desired. Clothes go missing quite often even if they are marked. The home often smells of incontinence. The garden and animals are excellent for residents staff are helpful but more staff on duty would be nice. There are caring carers who look after the residents. It's a happy place to be in staff always listen to my concerns.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

Sharon Fenn, Home Manager at Marston Court responded to this review on 15 Dec 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am glad that you find the home a happy place. With regard to your other points, I would be happy to discuss these with you next time you are visiting the home so that we can ensure they are addressed appropriately.

Staff, manager and carers were available to talk some things through, this was welcomed and pleasant and I felt heard, although there was a lot of background noise and activity in the office. All the staff are always friendly and treat me with courtesy and dignity, as they do my mother. She is well cared for in all aspects and staff have gone out of their way to make her feel comfortable and to meet her many needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

My mother has been a resident for a few months before that my father was a resident for a good few years. They both have been treated with respect, good human and a caring way. I would not hesitate to recommend Marston Court to everyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

On the whole I am very happy that mum has finally settled, she has vascular dementia and can be very difficult, but the staff are all very good at calming her down and she feels very safe and pampered. They will go out of their way to accommodate her 'foibles'! She loves the activities and enjoys Bingo especially and I am happy for her. She actually has some quality of life now.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

My father has been having an on going problem with incontinence and has been treated with dignity throughout the medical treatment and hospital visits. We have been kept up to date by the staff and feel like members of the team.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in the home for 3 years and is very happy. Her needs are nursing care now, they have done a great job with her. All the carers are so sweet, hard working, and under-payed for what they do. Carers management are very understanding, always there when you need them.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

Our mother has been at Marston Court for eighteen months. We were so lucky to get her a room. She loves her room, the food, the staff and entertainment. All the staff cleaners, carers and nurses they all do a great job. We are always made welcome and the manager must be very proud of them all.

Quite nice.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Likely

I attend the day care. The staff are friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Extremely Likely

Go to day centre, very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Marston Court? Likely

Submit a Review for Marston Court

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Marston Court