Townsend House

Bayswater Road, Headington, Oxford OX3 9NX

Townsend House is a forty-five capacity care home located in Oxford, dedicated to person-centred methods and offering quality care for older people, adults diagnosed with dementia or with a physical disability.

Care charity and provider The Orders of St John Care Trust are respected in the care sector for a flexible range of care provision, making the most of voluntary sector contributions in order to help vulnerable adults achieve a more dignified lifestyle.

Carers respect clients from all backgrounds, support an active and fulfilling lifestyle, and a nutritious diet, while maintaining strong local links.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Vicki Morl (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Oxfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 45 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Townsend House: click here

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Townsend House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Townsend House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.35 for Townsend House is calculated as follows: ( (111 Excellents x 5) + (69 Goods x 4) + (32 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 214 Ratings = 4.35

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Townsend House is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9 positive Reviews (45 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 9 Target = 1.000

9.4 Townsend House has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.350) from 18 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Townsend House?

Reviewer Connection to Townsend House

Lovely home - good atmosphere - all staff polite, kind and very understanding, nothing too much trouble. Beautiful garden to sit out in good weather - very well kept.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

Being here is building up my confidence as I feel very safe and secure.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

From the moment the managers had been in touch with us as a family in need of care due to family carers going into hospital, their support has been overwhelming, and staff have been so helpful. A staff member who met us on our first day with mum has supported her with care and compassion a male member of staff is great and has made our mum feel welcome and nothing is ever too much he has gone over and above what's expected of him.
All the other staff are a true credit to you as well.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

Staff very kind and can put up with my many queries.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Likely

My father has been a resident for over a year and I can't speak too highly of the love and care he has received at Townsend House. The setting is beautiful and rooms comfortable, but most importantly, the staff are amazing. Nothing is too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

My aunt has been at Townsend House for about 2 years now. She was very awkward to handle at first and would not leave her room, but she settled after a while and is now mixing in the sitting room and eating in the dining room. She can still be quite a handful at times but the carers manage her very well. The family is pleased with the way the home is run.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Likely

My father has been in this home for several years and has slowly lost cognitive abilities. Throughout, the staff have cared for him with care and consideration. The home has provided the one and the only continuum for him and in many ways has shaped and structured his whole existence in the last few years. I have the greatest admiration for the care, patience, attentiveness and commitment provided by the staff in demanding and sometimes demeaning circumstances in spite of rather basic working conditions and poor pay.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

Although my mother was only at Townsend House for a short while, we felt she received excellent care. We were especially appreciative of the way in which she was received even though not in good health and in the way that her individual needs were handled. The staff were always friendly and helpful. We so enjoyed taking mother around the lovely gardens where we visited.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

My mother is 96 years old and due to severe memory loss is unable to live alone.
I am grateful for her care.
Any problems I try to deal with immediately.
My concern is the management turnover.
Nobody is long term so there is no bonding with them.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Likely

Vicki Morl, Home Manager at Townsend House responded to this review on 01 Aug 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, which is appreciated. I hope you will be reassured to know that after a transitional period, we have a new full-time dedicated Manager at Townsend House.

It has recently become apparent that the home is unable to give our dad the care he now requires. We, as a family, are devastated by this as Townsend House is a fantastically friendly, homely home. The staff have been brilliant with Dad and have tried so hard to keep him with them. All the staff at Townsend are caring and supportive with both Dad and us as a family. We are so grateful for all they have done. Thank you!

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

The staff are always friendly and helpful. They seem to go the extra mile to assist the residents, even collecting a paper for Dad so that he does not have to pay extortionate delivery charges. Dad looks clean and well cared for and the home staff seem to take pride in the work that they do

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

Excellent care for my mother over the past 10 months. Although not the smartest of homes, the manager, head of care, run a tight ship with the welfare of residents at the heart of their ethos. Very caring staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

My husband was admitted as an emergency. I called the home at 4.30pm and the manager arrived at 5pm to assess. She new I needed support urgently, everyone is so friendly and caring. I know my husband is well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

I am writing this review on behalf of my husband who was admitted about 18 months ago when he deteriorated due to Alzheimers, which meant I could not care for him at home alone any more, especially due to his lack of mobility. After feeling a lot of guilt for him entering the home, I feel happy to know he is content in his new environment and now enjoy visiting on a regular basis. I always go home knowing he could not be in a better place because of his treatment from his carers and catering staff. I wanted to write this as a special thank you to the team who care for him so well.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

My father went into Townsend House in November 2015 for a one month trial to see if the staff could handle him as dad has dementia. He loves it there and that is where he is living now. It was upsetting for me to leave my dad there but the staff were wonderful, put my mind at rest. He is looked after so well, he calls it home which is great for me to hear that. I can't fault anything there. He loves the food.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

My wife was very happy in Townsend House during her three and a half months she in the home. The staff were very caring and considerate. The rooms she was in could have been kept cleaner, both my daughter and myself cleaned the room when we visited.

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Likely

My father has been in Townsend House for a considerate time. I visit regularly (usually at the weekend). However I have visited at different times and days during the week. On every occasion my father has been clean and happy. He enjoys a cigarette and wine/whiskey at bedtime, which is provided by the family and this gives him a good nights sleep. I visit during meal times, the food is plentiful and I am always offered lunch tea/coffee depending on what time I visit. The staff are extremely friendly and I have watched as they treat all residents with respect and dignity.
I am extremely grateful that my father is in Townsend House. He is very precious to me and seeing him so well looked after gives me great peace of mind. I cannot thank the staff enough for all they do for him and the other residents. A happy, clean and loving environment. Thank you!

How likely would you be to recommend Townsend House? Extremely Likely

I really love living here, the staff are fantastic and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Submit a Review for Townsend House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Townsend House