Barchester The Warren Care Home

157a Wroxham Road, Sprowston, Norwich NR7 8AF

Barchester The Warren Care Home, Norwich, Norfolk

The Warren is ideally located close to the stunning Norfolk Broads and English coastline as well as the everyday buzz of Norwich city centre. A purpose-built care home providing first-class residential care, they pride themselves in having created a relaxed, happy and safe community.

At the Warren, the varied range of activities and entertainment offers something for everyone. The Warren hosts a lively and stimulating environment, and in addition to residents gardens, a new vegetable garden development opened earlier this year. Professionals feel confident in providing a true home from home.

Why not pop in for a chat over coffee or lunch and see for yourself all that they have to offer - you're always welcome.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Ameilia Perriss (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 44 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester The Warren Care Home: click here

posted 30 Oct 2017

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

9.6 Barchester The Warren Care Home has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.582)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Barchester The Warren Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester The Warren Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.582 for Barchester The Warren Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (156 Excellents x 5) + (76 Goods x 4) + (10 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 244 Ratings = 4.582

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester The Warren Care Home is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.8 positive Reviews (44 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 8.8 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester The Warren Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester The Warren Care Home

The excellent chef who made special gluten-free meals interesting.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester The Warren Care Home? Extremely Likely

My 93-year-old mother has been in the Warren for almost one month for respite care following several falls leading to debilitating fractures of her hip and lower back. We are now hoping mum will become a permanent resident as she has improved both mentally and physically.

The level of care and encouragement demonstrated by all members of staff cannot be faulted. I feel supportive management is ensuring a very happy atmosphere.
Nothing is too much trouble and the staff are so helpful and are looking after mum with compassion and empathy.
Mum's room is kept clean and fresh as is her laundry. Mum loves the home cooked meals which are served in a beautiful dining area.She can have food in her room if she wants.
The activity ladies are helping mum join in the many fun/music/craft sessions ensuring her deafness is not making her isolated.

This is the 3rd time I have been to The Warren for respite care. A very refreshing fortnight. A good atmosphere and a great kindness shown by all members of staff and excellent food. Interesting activities by devoted leaders. I noticed that 2 or 3 times more residents attended the exercise group with an instructor and the quiz afternoon, could more stimulating events be introduced? e.g
A) "Table games" afternoon (in dining room) with Scrabble, Dominos/chess and card games.
B) The "Knit and natter" expand to include art/craft groups and residents to have own folder to keep their pictures - colouring being the "in thing".
C) The Parish Church which holds communion once a month, to be asked to take a "Song of Praise" for half and an hour to three-quarters of an hour on Sunday at 6.15pm, once a month. We love to sing the hymns we learnt in our youth.

The staff were exceptionally kind and helpful. Food and drinks were good. I liked the dog.
Enjoyed outings, especially cider in a pub.
Liked mixing with other residents and made new friends.

Nearly 5 years ago, I came to The Warren after having an operation at Papworth on heart valves. I received wonderful care as for a time I couldn't walk. Since then, I have been a regular guest coming 2-3 times a year and always at Christmas as I am elderly (92-year-old lady) living on my own. I am able to wash and dress myself and use the dining room for all meals. I feel very fortunate as I still have my brain and it still works. I find the cost now quite expensive as I pay the full rate. Do you have a lower charge for people like myself? I would enjoy coming more times in the year to enjoy a happy time at The Warren.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester The Warren Care Home? Likely

Tracey Cumby, General Manager at Barchester The Warren Care Home responded to this review on 29 Jun 2017:

Thank you so much for your feedback Marian. I am sorry that you do not enjoy the range of activities we offer here at The Warren. We do try to offer something for everyone including entertainers coming in to the home and a weekly mini bus outing in addition to the in house knit & natter group, quizzes etc. I understand that you enjoy jigsaw puzzles so I will ensure that you have these available to you on your next visit and ask the activities coordinator to chat with you to identify things you would enjoy. We look forward to seeing you at The Warren again in the very near future!

All Ok

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester The Warren Care Home? Likely

My mother was resident at The Warren for just over four and a half years and during this time I had complete confidence in the medical and social care which she received. It has always maintained a friendly and helpful staff thanks to a good management and administration.

I cannot speak highly enough of The Warren, to such an extent that if I, myself, were needing residential care, this is the place I would want to be. The home itself is a lovely building and the surrounding grounds and gardens are well maintained and very inviting. Every member of staff I have come into contact with is always very friendly, outgoing and does their best to accommodate the needs of the residents. It is a consequence of this and all the lovely activities and celebrations that are organised, that all the residents I see and speak to say how much they enjoy being there.

My mother has been a resident at Barchester The Warren Care Home for nine and a half years. She became very frail at the start of 2017 and her health declined rapidly. The care she received by the carers and indeed all the staff was kind, patient and always respectful. Nothing was too much trouble and she was kept comfortable and clean. Sadly, she passed away on the 20th January with my sister and I by her side. Attention was then turned to us and we were given the same kindness and compassion right up to when the undertaker took our mother away. Barchester The Warren Care Home has some exceptional staff who go beyond their normal duties. They treat all the residents with respect and understanding and make it a home from home.

When coming to The Warren, I was very apprehensive, but there was no need to worry at all. The carers came into my room to introduce themselves and made me welcome with flowers and chocolates. Since then I have had no worries. I am looked after 24 hours a day, if there's anything I need, they will get it for me. Food is lovely and you get a choice at each sitting and where possible is home cooked. Entertainment is on nearly all week in the lounge and you get a list each week to let you know. I love it here.

Very happy with all the help given, especially during an emergency involving a 3-hour wait for an emergency ambulance.

Dad enjoyed his stay in The Warren and really appreciated the help and friendship of the staff.
Dad didn't make much use of the communal area or events and his care needs were relatively low, so the cost seemed high for what he utilised, but we understand why this is the case.
All the staff were very good, especially the senior carers who were brilliant.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester The Warren Care Home? Likely

I found the staff helpful and kind, and very patient with the residents who needed it. I personally was only in the home for respite, due to the building alteration taking place in my flat. The food I thought was very good as was the hygiene. My room had everything I required with a modern en suite.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester The Warren Care Home? Likely

The one week I stayed in the above home was very pleasant. The staff were very helpful in every way. Always cheerful, meals excellent. There is one activity which I found was not covered. No Sunday services! Religious. My stay was temporary.

I come to The Warren care home once a week for a bath and I really enjoy coming. The staff are all friendly and kind. I have been coming now for several month as I have no bath in my bungalow only a shower and I really do miss my bath, so I am really grateful to all the staff. I also have been invited to several parties and social events which I really enjoy, so thank you all at The Warren. As an ex-nurse I know several homes in and around Norwich, I started my training at the Old N&N and really enjoyed it, and finished at Hellesdon Hospital in the 1950s. Thank you very much for giving me the chance to thank you all.

As a day visitor I found the activities a bit hit and miss. I enjoyed the exercise class on a Thursday afternoon. I have found that I am making friends but a lot of people fall asleep and I am left on my own to read my book. The food is average but not always enough. The staff are numerous and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester The Warren Care Home? Likely

This was my first experience of having to place a relative into a care home, albeit respite care since the early 90's and i am pleased to be able to say the service provided at The Warren were excellent. My mother-in-law has always shown a reluctance to be placed in such care and as you can imagine it was a great relief to us as a family to find she had been looked after well, enjoyed the experience and does not appear averse to the prospect of a similar placement in the future.

My father lived for over three years at the Warren and ended his life there as he wished. This is a very special care home, a true family atmosphere including a cat. The staff are wonderful, patient and kind. I visited at least twice a week and observed nothing but superb care throughout the home. It is spotlessly clean, the laundry is completed to the highest standard. The food is delicious, home made to the highest standard. Medical care is precise and the end of life care so very special, such loving staff to Dad to his life's end. The entertainment is varied, great fun and so many events celebrated. The gardens are beautiful, it all takes hard work. I cannot speak highly enough of The Warren.

Vera, my mother, was only at The Warren for three weeks, but, during that time all the staff from the cleaners, kitchen staff and carers were extremely attentive, helpful and could not have made her stay any better. In the final stages of her life the staff were brilliant e.g the chef prepared a piece of fish for her and brought it to her room beautifully presented. My family and friends were always offered refreshments and meals. On mothers death without exception all the staff showing compassion and she was treated with great dignity and respect. I cannot praise the staff enough for all they did for mother and us. I hope this ethos continues and that the staff know how much they are praised by us as a family.

Always very welcoming to my mother, by first name in all her visits. Kind and caring and very pleasant. Never smells of urine on entering the home. Activities always going on. Food very good and a good varied menu, always nice and warm. A little care over placing residents in wheelchairs in day room as my mother fell trying to go by with her walker as space too narrow to get through.

The care my aunt received was excellent. She would still be there but needed much more nursing care/memory lane care than The Warren was able to provide. The manager tactfully explained the position and my aunt was transferred to another Barchester home with careful consideration. The carers I met at The Warren were very caring and professional. She was treated with dignity throughout. My thanks to the staff.

Submit a Review for Barchester The Warren Care Home

May 2012

Julie

Julie Bayes

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2009

Julie has worked here for 6 years and has been in care for 24 years and has a variety on knowledge.
Julie has nvq3&4 in health and social care, diplome in mental health and psychology as well as being the home trainer for the Warren.
Julie says then care here is exceptional and after working for a variety of organisations Barchester is the best.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester The Warren Care Home