Norwood, Ipswich, Suffolk

Norwood is a forty-five capacity Ipswich care home from voluntary care MHA, dedicated to the challenges faced by individuals diagnosed with a form of dementia.

The purpose-built facility is ideal for allowing carers to make the most of their capabilities, while also being a comfortable and spacious living environment where residents can pursue their personal interests and have their privacy and dignity respected.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Local Authority / Social Services: Suffolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 46 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Norwood: click here

9.6 Norwood has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.587)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Norwood is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 34 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Norwood in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.717 for Norwood is calculated as follows: ( (305 Excellents x 5) + (87 Goods x 4) + (14 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 406 Ratings = 4.717

The 4.87 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Norwood is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.2 positive Reviews (46 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 9.2 Target = 0.870

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Norwood?

Reviewer Connection to Norwood

My mother had a fall the day after her 90th Birthday and despite laying on the floor waiting for an ambulance for over five hours, the care she received from many members of staff, carers and management could not have been better.
They were also very supportive to me while I sat on the floor beside mam. Prior to me arriving, mam hadn't been left on her own at all.

Julie Peyton, Home manager at Norwood responded to this review on 02 Oct 2017:

Thank you.

My mother moved into Norwood two weeks ago. In the short time she has been there I have been extremely impressed by the kindness and dedication of all the staff.
The home is clean and welcoming. It provides activities for the residents every morning and afternoon and serves delicious home-cooked meals. I am very relieved to have found a home for my mother where I can be sure she is being well cared for and is in safe hands. I would have no hesitation in recommending Norwood to my friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 03 Oct 2017:

Thank you for your feedback which is much appreciated. I am so pleased to hear that you are happy with the care being provided at Norwood. I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.

I called into the home a few weeks ago before my mother-in-law actually moved in. I experienced a feeling of calm and comfort, which is just what you need when looking for a home for a loved one.

I have not been disappointed. Mum moved in two weeks ago and I still have that feeling when I visit. I am very happy with the care she is receiving.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience of Norwood. Thank you for your kind words. I am so pleased to hear that you are happy with the care your Mother-in-Law is receiving at Norwood. We will share your comments with our team.

I have been a resident for 14months and the experience of living in a home has been better than anticipated. The home is informal, friendly and caters to my personal needs. The staff are very helpful, willing and friendly.

The menus are regularly changed and the kitchens will accommodate likes and dislikes.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 10 Oct 2017:

Thank you for sharing your experience of Norwood. I am so pleased to hear that you are happy with the home and that the staff are very helpful, willing and friendly. We will make sure your feedback is shared with them.

Lovely friendly home. Beautiful building and grounds. Mum has been at Norwood just over 5 years and has been well looked after. Activities and events are well planned and residents are given the choice on whether to participate or not. I always feel welcome when I visit and communication is excellent - I feel able to contact the staff whenever necessary and I am kept informed by the lovely admin team. All in all very happy and def recommend!

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

My father moved to Norwood two months ago. H was understandably anxious about leaving his own home. However, the staff at Norwood are kind and caring and have helped him to feel comfortable and settle into his new environment. He benefits from having people around and is reassured to know help is on hand when needed. He is enjoying the meals and has put on a little weight. Norwood is a welcoming home and I feel confident that my father's needs will be met there.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 21 Mar 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience of Norwood. I am so pleased to learn of the kindness and care that your Father has had whilst living with us. Your feedback is very important and I will ensure it is shared with our team.

My father has received first class care at Norwood all his needs are met and it has been wonderful to have the chance of a twin room with his wife. It has been a great comfort to them to be able to take part in the church services and to still feel a part of The Methodist Church. The staff are very attentive and keen to undertake anything that will make them feel more at home. Also it is a wonderful to have such beautiful views.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 20 Mar 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experiences of Norwood. I am so pleased to hear that you have found our team to be attentive and they have made your Father and Mother feel at home. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our Team. Thank you.

My mother has been treated with dignity, understanding and respect by the staff at Norwood. I am a frequent visitor to the home and am always made to feel welcome. My mother is totally dependent on the staff for all her care needs and when the staff go in to care for her, her face lights up.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

The carers at Norwood identified a need for my aunt to have a medical bed for health and safety reasons. This meant that the furniture in my aunties room had to change and she was upset by this. The carers handled this sensitively ensuring the family were aware of what needed to happen, and we worked together to make this change with minimum disruption. The staff at Norwood are all kind, friendly, polite, understanding and professional. They support me as well as my aunt.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 02 Sep 2016:

Thank you for telling us about your experience of Norwood. I am sorry that the change in the layout of your Aunt’s room was upsetting but pleased to hear that this was handled sensitively by the team here at Norwood. Your feedback is important to us and I will ensure that it is shared with the team.

My friend has been in Norwood since December 2015, it is now July 2016 as I write this review. Norwood is a very caring home, the trouble and effort that they go to keep the residents happy is exceptional. Anyone trying to find a home for their loved ones, you cannot go wrong with choosing Norwood. There are many activities to try and keep residents alert and happy, the food looks superb!
I could not fault this wonderful care home, beautiful gardens overlooking Christchurch Park, kind, caring staff. It's hard being a carer but they all seem to do a marvellous job.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 30 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of Norwood. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

My mother has been at Norwood for 18 months and is very happy and settled at the home. The staff are all particularly kind and nothing is ever too much trouble. My mother always has high praise for the staff and she particularly enjoys all of the activities that are on offer each day. Our family have been delighted by all that Norwood has to offer in the knowledge that our mother is both safe, happy and well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 11 Aug 2016:

Thank your for taking the time to feedback your experiences of Norwood and in particular your comments regarding the staff team which I will share with them. I am so pleased that your Mother is happy living at Norwood.

Since joining Norward, dad no longer complains that he is no longer in fear of falling over and lying undiscovered. He is not happy at growing old but he is no longer completely miserable and fearful as he was. I would say that some of his confidence is returning.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your comments. I am glad to hear that your Dad’s confidence is returning and that he is no longer fearful about falling. I will ensure your feedback is shared with our team.

My father-in-law is not a happy man, he has lost his wife, his home and his health. The staff at Norwood are doing their best to make him welcome and feel at home a difficult and not always rewarding process. I hope that one day he may be in a position to appreciate where he is and how hard people are trying to help him.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 10 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experiences of Norwood. Please be assured that the staff team at Norwood will do our very best to assist your Father-in-law to settle in his new home over the next few months. If we can do anything else to support you or your Father-in-law, please let us know.

Norwood is the best care home I have come across. The calm atmosphere and friendliness of staff is immediately apparent; it feels comfortable and well run and my relative has often told me how lucky she feels to be living there. Throughout the years staff have worked hard to help her to remain as independent as possible, often going the extra mile by altering the way they do things to accommodate her. She and I, appreciate very much the kindness and care staff show, and their efforts to help residents maintain their dignity despite the often very undignified circumstances their frailties create. They do an excellent job of remaining focused on their residents needs despite the challenges presented when relatives/friends have differing opinions. This requires a huge amount of tact and diplomacy but Norwood staff seem very capable of managing this well - they take the time to listen, to explain, and to work with relatives/friends to help provide the best care possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 05 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your experience of Norwood. It means so much to us all to receive such wonderful comments and I will ensure that they are shared with the team.

From the minute you enter the home, it actually feels like home; a lovely atmosphere with caring people on hand. Lovely rooms and some, fortunately, with amazing views. Mum is very happy there and would be far less happy living in some of the other homes that were reviewed before we chose Norwood.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

My mother-in-law is in safe, capable hands at Norwood so I never worry when I have to leave her. I know there will always be someone with a cheery smile or word for her or if she's feeling a bit down. Staff are always friendly and cheerful and always willing to go the extra mile to make visitors and residents feel comfortable. Very happy with our choice!

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Having my mum fall ill to dementia has been very hard on our family. Norwood staff have not only took in my mum and taken care of her every need with such dignity, love, care and support, but they have also been there to offer such comfort and support to my dad, who is finding all of this very hard. Dad visits mum every day and I know he was difficult towards the staff in the beginning. They continued to work with my dad, until he got more comfortable with the situation of my mum's illness and being in a home. Mum seems very happy at the home and loves the staff who care for her. I live in the USA, and Norwood keep in good contact with me, letting me know how mum is doing. I could write much more.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 11 Jul 2016:

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback your experiences of Norwood. I am so pleased to hear of the care that the team have shown towards both your Mum and Dad and especially pleased that your Mum has settled in well and that the staff have also supported Dad through what is a very difficult time. Thank you again. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our team.

The last thing my mother ever wanted to do was to leave the family home, where she had lived for 53 years and where my father had died 27 years ago. And as for living in a care home, that was unthinkable. We live 150 miles away in Suffolk so when she could no longer manage at home because of her dementia, she came to live with us until a place became available at Norwood.

Moving in was traumatic for all of us but the staff managed it so well that her mantra soon became "If I have to be somewhere, this is the best place to be, the girls (carers) are all so lovely".
A year on she has made good friends, she is very relaxed and there is no longer any angst about going home. As a committed Christian her spiritual needs are very well catered for at this Methodist Home with twice weekly services.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 23 May 2016:

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback your experience of Norwood. It is wonderful to hear how the staff assisted in supporting your Mother when she moved into Norwood and I am pleased to hear that she has settled well with her spiritual needs being well catered for. Thank you again. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our team.

My mother-in-law has been a resident of your Ipswich Norwood care home, for 8 years. She has been a very independent woman, who was a teacher in Ipswich. She has said so many times to me how much she appreciates the care she has received at Norwoods. She has said over the past 8 years that she went there to live. Norwood have respected and carried out her wishes, her menu choices and the fact that she has her meals in her rooms. She has been able to live an independent life surrounded with staff who care for her. This is very important. She will shortly be 105 years old. Her brain is fine, but she has failing eye sight and hearing. This makes days long.
She has some anxiety problems and staff, especially a member of staff have sat with her her room and made her feel secure.
Norwoods have always valued and respected her choices, she has always been treated with dignity.
Thank you Norwoods and staff for your work.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 03 May 2016:

Thank you for your review of Norwood which is very much appreciated. It is so encouraging to hear that the values we believe in and strive to achieve in day to day life at Norwood are reflected in your feedback. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our team.

In my experience my mother-in-law has been well treated and so thoroughly looked after, that we have no worries about her care. We trust the staff absolutely and all our questions are speedily answered. First class!!

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 14 Apr 2016:

Thank you for feeding back your experiences of Norwood. Your comments regarding our staff team are much appreciated and will be shared with them. Thank you again.

My mother has been a resident at Norwood for 2 years now and has always received excellent care from staff who routinely go over and above the 'call of duty'. She feels completely at home, safe and valued, which in turn gives us, her family, peace of mind. We really can't praise Norwood enough. the standard of accommodation is very high, the food excellent, the activities very inclusive and access to staff extremely easy. Norwood ia a warm and caring place where everyone is made to feel welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 08 Apr 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experiences of Norwood. It is so pleasing to hear that you are happy with all aspects of our Home. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our team. Thank you again.

Thorough and friendly review covering various issues from domestic arrangements to health issues, associated with ongoing arthritis.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 18 Mar 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experiences of Norwood. Your feedback will be shared with our team.

On entry to the home one experiences a warm welcome from the staff, residents are very satisfied and happy. Staff work hard to meet the various needs in management and care. On a daily basis, a variety of activities are offered by the facilitator but it is the residents choice as to what they do - or not do.
Meals are variable, and look varied and nourishing.
Outings are organised in larger numbers for a day to a local facility by the sea, fish and chips are always popular. Small groups are taken to local theatre, and out for lunch, or a visit to the park, where there is a park-mobile. Visitors, friends and relatives are made welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 16 Feb 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience of Norwood. I am so pleased to hear that you are pleased with so many aspects of our home. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our team.

For many years I have visited the home to visit residents who were members of the church. I have come to know some staff very well and have found them caring and welcoming. I have assisted with the spiritual life of the home by conducting occasional services of worship, in addition I have assisted with money-raising for the home and organisation.

I have found that residents have welcomed contact with "the outside world" and have appreciated interest shown in their families.
The emphasis is stressed that this is their "home", it is not an impersonal institution and respect is given to all involved, whether serving or being served.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 22 Feb 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience of Norwood. It is great to hear that you find the staff caring and welcoming. The spiritual life of the home is very important to us and would to thank you for your assistance with this. Your comments will be shared with our team. Thank you.

I much rather be at home like most people would, however, I feel Norwood is the best option as I needed support and care. I feel well cared for at all times, I always feel safe and secure in my environment. All meals are lovely that are provided daily. I am a diabetic and I feel it's maintained very well with regards to meals and fluids.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 12 Feb 2016:

Thank you for kind comments. I am glad to hear that Norwood is the best option for you taking in to account the support and care you need. I am so pleased to hear that you feel well cared for, safe and secure. I will ensure your feedback is shared with our team.

Carers are always available. It is clear how much they care. Staff are excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 02 Feb 2016:

Thank you for your feedback regarding the team at Norwood. I am so pleased to hear that you feel the staff are excellent and caring. I will ensure that your comments are shared with them.

Mum moved to Norwood in October and we very soon realised what an amazing home Norwood is, from the management to the carers the level of care mum has received has been first class. Nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are comfortable and spotlessly clean, the food appetising and well presented and the activities organised, interesting and stimulating. The staff are cheerful, caring and supportive have given mum her dignity and confidence back. A fantastic home which is happy and comfortable. We have our mum back to her old cheerful and happy self. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 15 Dec 2015:

Thank you for your comments regarding the whole staff team here at Norwood. It is very much appreciated and I will ensure that this is shared with the team.

I have visited Norwood for several years and the residents always look happy and well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 03 Dec 2015:

Your comments regarding Norwood are much appreciated. I will ensure that these are shared with our team.

I feel the carers at Norwood "Go that extra mile" with the residents. My father (and all the residents) always look clean and happy. My father has been at Norwood a short time but from what I have seen the care has been exceptional.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 17 Sep 2015:

Thank you for your comments regarding Norwood and the care that your father receives. It is good to hear that he is happy and that you have found the care to have been exceptional. I will ensure that your feedback is passed to the team.

My father has been a resident at Norwood for over seven years, throughout which he has continually said how fortunate he is to live at the home. His needs have increased as time as passed, with a failing memory leading to extra work for staff as they check on him (24 hours a day) to ensure that his desire to be as independent as possible, trying to walk with his frame when he can no longer really stand unaided, has not led to a fall. They answer his call bell with friendliness, always addressing him by name and carefully provide the extra bathroom assistance he requires.

All the staff continue to look after my father with unfailing patience, kindness and courtesy, even when his deafness can make dialogue very difficult. He is well fed and that is so important, since my father has always enjoyed his meals. The twice weekly religious services held in the lounge mean a lot to my father, as does conversation with the home's chaplain. Living 125 miles away, I have been so grateful for the close care and attention which my father receives. His medicines are scrupulously managed and his care plan is regularly reviewed. I am immediately informed of any accident, however minor and records of these are available for tracking of overall health.

I recommend the home unreservedly, in common with relatives of other residents who, when I am visiting, so frequently make unsolicited comments of praise for the management and staff of the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 14 Sep 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. I am so pleased to receive such wonderful comments. Thank you. I will ensure that your comments are shared with our team here at Norwood.

I find Norwood a clean and lovely place to visit. There are activities on a daily basis (AM and PM) for example; arm chair exercises, music therapy, games etc. The home is kept in a good state of repair - rooms are in excellent condition, decorated well, modern en-suite wash rooms.
Gardens are extensive planted with shrubs, trees, flowers with beautiful tubs with lots of colourful plants. Staff are cheerful and helpful. The home also provides Christian services weekly.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 10 Sep 2015:

Thank you for your feedback regarding Norwood. It is much appreciated. I will ensure that your comments are shared with the staff team.

After two weeks residing, I am still trying to find out how the home runs. Staff are courteous but it would help if we could have a daily feedback from a staff member who had cared for my relative. They are good at organising medication and outside help such as district nurses. There do not seem to be sufficient staff on at night to deal with restless residents. I understand there are only 3 night staff for 45 residents. My relative requires quite close monitoring. I wonder if so few staff falls below the statutory limit? Close monitoring of catheter, shaving, teeth cleaning could be improved, keeping an eye on the correct returned laundry is a daily sort out but with only a few men in the home it should not be such a problem.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Likely

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments regarding Norwood. I am sorry to hear that you are not fully aware of how Norwood runs on a day to day basis. We always try to spend time with new residents and their relatives regarding day to day life at Norwood when they first move in to the home and will happily arrange to meet with you again so that you have a further opportunity to ask any questions you may have. I review staffing levels frequently and I am pleased to confirm that the number of staff on duty means that all residents needs can be fully met. Thank you for identifying the areas which you feel require improvement and, again, I would be happy to meet with you so that we can discuss in person how we can address the concerns that you have.

My mother has been resident at Norwood for 4 years. In that time she has received excellent care. The atmosphere at Norwood is pleasant and welcoming. The carers are professional and most importantly "caring".

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 03 Sep 2015:

Your feedback regarding the team at Norwood is much appreciated. I will ensure that your comments are shared with them.

We have always found the care and attention of the staff team at Norwood to be of a high standard over the last 4 years. Dad and Mum have had no complaints and feel they are in the best possible place.

How likely would you be to recommend Norwood? Extremely Likely

Sarah Claybrough, Home Manager at Norwood responded to this review on 02 Sep 2015:

Thank you for your feedback and in particular in regarding our staff team. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the team.

Submit a Review for Norwood