Dorset House

Coles Avenue, Hamworthy, Poole BH15 4HL

Dorset House is a safe and homely residential and dementia care home in the heart of the Hamworthy community in Poole.

Dorset house has 48 single bedrooms and two double bedrooms plus plenty of communal areas where residents can socialise or relax, including six lounges and a lovely, large, secure garden.

The experienced and well-trained team at Dorset House provides compassion care for those who can longer live independently, helping people who are physically frail or those living with dementia.

All residents can enjoy a wide variety of activities and entertainment in and around the home, plus outings in the Care South minibus to local landmarks and attractions.

Group: Care South

Person in charge: Paul Beasley (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Borough of Poole Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 52 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Dorset House: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Dorset House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 15 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Dorset House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.444 for Dorset House is calculated as follows: ( (83 Excellents x 5) + (82 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 171 Ratings = 4.444

The 4.865 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Dorset House is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10.4 positive Reviews (52 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 10.4 Target = 0.865

9.3 Dorset House has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.309) from 15 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Dorset House?

Reviewer Connection to Dorset House

Mum was moved from hospital to Dorset House and it was the hardest decision we have ever had to make as she could not return to her own home. I can honestly say that since she has been here she seems happier than we have seen her in many years. She tells us that the staff are lovely and we have seen the care they take with the residents.
The place is homely with lovely grounds and relaxing atmosphere for the residents. It is small enough to feel like a home rather than the institutional feel of huge, brand new, blocks that are also available elsewhere.
Some residents have higher needs but Mum enjoys chatting to many new friends and is no longer lonely. We are always welcomed when we arrive to see her and there is always a member of staff to talk to with any queries. It is early days but so far we are very pleased with our choice for Mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

Every single member of staff treats mum with dignity and kindness. They are aware of her personality and treat her accordingly and she responds well to all the staff and despite her Dementia, she has said on occasions that "I like it here and everyone likes me" and I don't feel that more can be asked of any care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

Overall I would say that I am happy that dad is in Dorset House. Most of the time he is dressed well and clean. The one thing that I would say needs attention is the lack of activities and entertainment. The two activity ladies do their best but I have been to other homes in the area and there is something happening every day. This is not the case in Dorset House. The residents are generally sleeping.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Likely

The feel of the place is very pleasant and friendly. Personal care for my father over the past nine months has been very good. The staff are very professional and pleasant, friendly to residents and families. The home all been well kept and clean.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

My mum has been in Dorset House since December 2017. She has settled in surprisingly well and now talks about the summer in the home.
The staff are very caring and I cannot praise them highly enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Likely

Whilst husband was in Dorset House my family and myself were quite satisfied with most things. One concern; thought shower room would have been more acceptable to the majority of residents.
This conversation was agreed when talking to other families. Other than that no worries!

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Likely

Simon Bird, Deputy Chief Executive at Dorset House responded to this review on 12 Feb 2018:

Thank you for your review and the feedback. We are constantly refurbishing and upgrading our homes and will look at the shower room situation at Dorset House to see if there is scope to make improvements in this area.

Since entering the home my father's wellbeing has improved immeasurably. He is now well looked after and this is showing through in his general appearance and health condition. The staff, from management to the care nurses to the cleaners are magnificent - so attentive and caring toward all residents; friendly and helpful to relatives and visitors.

The condition of the home from location to facilities to cleanliness and all round ambience cannot be faulted.

I would thoroughly recommend Dorset House to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

The staff was always friendly and always treated mum with respect and dignity. I am very grateful for care and kindness that my mum received from all staff and management.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

My uncle has been a resident at Dorset House for nearly a year and absolutely loves it here.
I would like to thank all of the staff for their professionalism and dedication to ensuring that my uncle is cared for to the highest standard.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

My nan has lived at Dorset House for seven months and we are very pleased with the care that she has received. Moving into residential care for the first time can be quite traumatic but nan and the family have been given a lot of support during this transition by all of the staff members.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

Paul Beasley, Home Manager at Dorset House responded to this review on 18 May 2017:

Hi Jane, thank you so much for your brilliant feedback, is very much appreciated. We do aim to ensure all families and residents are supported as much as possible during a move into residential care at Dorset House, and it is great to hear this is working with our actions and support making a difference.

I have been visiting my elderly friend at Dorset House every month for the past 8 or 9 years, often accompanied by my dog, who invariably gets a warm welcome. During that time I have always found my friend very clean and well turned out and - miracle of miracles because it wasn't always so! In the main, she seems happy and generally pretty contented. She even admits to liking the food and the staff! I am always extremely impressed by the gentleness and understanding of the staff, who have a difficult job at times; I have seen them being pinched and harassed by "difficult" patients but I have never once seen them respond unkindly or inappropriately. My friend is 102 and hopefully, seems set for a few years yet!

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

Paul Beasley, Home Manager at Dorset House responded to this review on 02 May 2017:

Dear Anne-Marie, thank you for your very kind words it is very much appreciated. Our staff do strive to enable exceptional care to be given to all of our residents with our Care South HEART values always in the back of our minds. Am glad you and your very friendly Collie enjoy your visits and we look forward to seeing you both again very soon.

My mother has been resident now for over 2 years.
She is treated with such kindness and understanding from all the staff without exception. I have never met an unpleasant staff member. They genuinely care for her. It's not a chore or a burden to them.
Activities are good and well planned. We enjoy the trips out on the mini bus.
I have no hesitation in recommending Dorset House to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

Mum has been at Dorset House for six weeks. The staff are all very caring, and mum is looked after very well, always nice and clean. Have a few issues about her clothes not in her wardrobe but it is being sorted. It was a very hard decision to put mum into a care home, but the staff reassure me she is fine and has settled well, which is very reassuring for me. All in all I think Dorset House was a good choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

My husband stayed at Dorset House for 4 weeks and settled in very well thanks to the staff. All the staff seemed to be aware of everyone's needs and on my visit I too got to know a good many of them. I found the lounges very attractive and inviting! In fact the whole house has a nice atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Dorset House? Extremely Likely

I enjoyed my stay at Dorset House the food was good and staff changed my meal at lunch time to evening as this is what I'm used to. My room was very comfy and good size, i had a couple of unwelcome visitors late at night but staff sorted that for me.

Submit a Review for Dorset House

June 2015

Best Care Support (Team)

Recipient: Dorset House

Date: Thursday 04 Jun 2015

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Dorset House