Cheney House

Rectory Lane, Middleton Cheney, Banbury OX17 2NZ

Cheney House Care Home is part of the Regal Care Trading Ltd portfolio and has access to an extensive range of expertise from many healthcare professionals that enable it to achieve a high standard of care.

The service is open for residential dementia care, with the aim of helping those with neurological difficulties to achieve a quality lifestyle for as long as possible.

The facility itself includes its own sensory and relaxation room, a private and secure garden where residents can relax, as well as providing both physio and aromatherapy.

Group: Regal Care Trading Ltd

Person in charge: Paula Munday (Registered Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Northamptonshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 34 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Over 60 only. Ages 60+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Urdu

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £700 – £900 , Personal Care Shared (per person) £700 – £900 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Cheney House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

No set visiting times, everyone welcome even throughout mealtimes.

Cheney House has parking and private

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Cheney House: click here

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Cheney House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 31 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Cheney House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 23 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.371 for Cheney House is calculated as follows: ( (197 Excellents x 5) + (120 Goods x 4) + (45 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 369 Ratings = 4.371

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Cheney House is based on 23 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 6.8 positive Reviews (34 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 23 Reviews ÷ 6.8 Target Reached = 1

9.4 Cheney House has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.371) from 31 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Cheney House?

Reviewer Connection to Cheney House

During my recent visit to Cheney House, I found my sister well cared for. I thought that the staff looked after her and myself very attentively. The surroundings whilst ageing were kept in a clean condition. I am looking forward to my next visit.

Paula Munday, Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 24 Apr 2018:

It was lovely to see you all in birthday celebrations.

Pleasant, helpful staff. Agreeable but well disciplined and carry out procedures with respect and care. We visit regularly but on different days and always receive a greeting on arrival. The house is warm and clean.

Paula Munday, Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 19 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your positive feed back John.

I have now made several visits to my aunt and each time I have found the staff to be very helpful and kind to the residents and myself. She always seems to receive sympathetic attention which fully takes into account the treatment she requires.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

Since moving into care at the end of last year my brother has settled quite well, although after a lifetime working on a farm he finds it hard not to be able to go outside. Hopefully, with the better weather, he will be able to enjoy the garden area.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Likely

Paula Munday, Home Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 14 Mar 2018:

Thank you Bill, weekly outings to the Church in the village are being enjoyed at present. Once the warmer weather is here we will be using the outside/community daily.

I'm very pleased with dad's care. He's happy and content. His room is clean and he always looks presentable.
Staff are pleasant and ask if we want refreshments.
He's well fed and enjoys his food. Management are always available if we have any questions.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

Paula Munday, Home Manger at Cheney House responded to this review on 06 Mar 2018:

Thank you Charlie.
Your Dad is very settled at Cheney House.

Very pleased with dad's care. Food is good and dad is eating very well and has put on weight. his room is clean and he's very content. Staff are very caring and management are excellent. we always get asked if we want a drink. Overall, very pleased with dad's care.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your positive feedback Carole.
How we've seen Your Dad settle over the past few months.

I visit my mum every day. She is settled and happy at Cheney House. The manager makes me feel welcome and will update me on my mum's care. All the care staff are fantastic and care for my mum very well. I like to see the activities lady flower arranging with my mum.
The staff will offer me drinks when I go to visit mum, I have no concerns and know she is safe.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

Brother went to the care home in a very poor state after not looking after himself and being in hospital. Within a few weeks, he was looking a lot better, eating well and putting on weight. He joins in the activities, which he would never have done before. We have no complaints whatsoever about the way he is being cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

Paula Munday, Home Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 01 Mar 2018:

Thank you, Elizabeth, what a change a few months make.

I am very happy here at Cheney, I like to play bingo.
The meals are very good and they always give me extra when I ask.
I like to spend time with my daughter when she visits on a Wednesday and Sunday.
All the staff are very caring. The manager comes to see me every day to make sure I am OK.

Paula Munday, Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 11 Jan 2018:

This is lovely and we appreciate your feedback - I will pass on to all staff at Cheney House.
Thank you kindly.

The care at Cheney House so far has been exceptionally good. My grandad is always clean, well groomed and smart. The staff treat him with respect, dignity and always attend to his needs. His bedroom/bathroom are always immaculate. The whole facility is well looked after, including the grounds.

All staff including the cook, carers and the caretaker have given such great care, thought and attention to my grandfather, but in particular, the manager is so very kind, attentive, thoughtful and respectful not only of my grandfather but the whole family. She has taken the time to send updates and photos which have been gratefully received and offer reassurance that he is well cared for.

Paula Munday, Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 24 Oct 2017:

Thank you. It's been an emotional time for all.

I feel that all the staff are very caring, I feel loved. When I worry about my family, the staff support her. The food is lovely and plenty of choices - often too much.

The bedroom is always kept clean and tidy.

Paula Munday, Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 23 Oct 2017:

Thank you, Gladys.

Mum admitted 14th August 2017. She has settled in well and the family are very pleased.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

Mum seems very happy whenever I visit. No worries with her at all here. Always clean and tidy and the room is kept clean. Food is nice and she seems to enjoy it. The manager is very good, any problems she informs me right away and sorts them out asap which is very good for me as I know Mum is well looked after. She is a very caring person and she only cares for the welfare of the residents and it shows in everything she does for them. She is a lovely person, I would not want my mum here if she was not.

Paula Munday, Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 23 Oct 2017:

Thank you, Anna.

Whilst visiting my mother I noticed how gentle, kind and considerate a particular Kitchen Assistant was. Not enough praise is given to people who deserve it. There always seem to be plenty of complaints but this lovely girl needs some praise. A valuable member of staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

In our family's opinion, the staff at the care home are all caring, compassionate and look after the residents to a high standard. Each member of staff knows the needs of the individual and cater for them well. The food is excellent in terms of variety, quality and quantity, and snacks and drinks are bountiful. The programme of activities is varied to cater for all interests and abilities, and staff regularly display photographs of residents participating in them. Recent ongoing site updates eg blinds in the conservatory and painting are welcome. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

Generally pleased with the way my husband has been looked after. No real complaints and any issues have been put right and my husband is happy and settled.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Likely

My mother moved into Cheney House in November 2016. She was given a very nice, ground floor room. She immediately was given special care for the first month until she was more used to things. She is very fond of some of the care workers and misses them when they are not there. She particularly likes the activity lady who makes her feel needed eg making cakes for everybody. My sister and I are very happy with the way our mother is cared for, all the staff are friendly and kind to residents and family.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Likely

My dad has lived here for over two years and in that time the personal care provided has always been excellent and the carers very kind. There has been a steady but sure improvement in all other areas since the new manager took over last year. My main gripe for a long time was the lack of an activities co-ordinator providing activities for residents' mental health. Now, at last, there is an excellent new caring Activities Co-ordinator providing lots of activities suitable for the differing needs of the residents. I am very happy now that dad is being looked after in every way and I thank the manager from the bottom of my heart for being so determined to do her utmost and expect the utmost always putting the residents' needs before all else. I also thank the wonderful carers for whom nothing is too much bother and the other support staff who actively support the manager in striving to do whatever is best for the residents.

Paula Munday, Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 06 Jul 2017:

Thank you so much Carole.

Staff always friendly and helpful and always ask us if we want a cup of tea.
Residents seem happy whenever we visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Likely

A very caring atmosphere with attention to the welfare of my husband.
The general surrounding is pleasant and the carers treatment of the residents is admirable. I am very pleased that my husband is at Cheney House. They care for him and provide him with the respect that he would have got at home.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

The manager of Cheney House was friendly and approachable and advised us at every stage and made the transition from home to care home a much easier process for both my father and the rest of the family. My father has settled in very well and the staff are always caring and helpful making our visits much more pleasurable. We have always found him to be well dressed and clean. The staff clearly spend a great deal of time looking after the residents and sitting chatting to them as well as having organised activities. I couldn't thank them all enough!

Paula Munday, Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 09 Jun 2017:

Thank you Alicia. I will pass on to the team.

The home is so friendly, we can visit at any time we like which is so good as we have a fairly long journey. My husband is always clean and tidy which is something I struggled with at home. He is contented and well cared for.

Paula Munday, Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 05 Jun 2017:

Thank you Pat, very kind words. I will pass this on to our team.

My mother has been in Cheney House since March 2017. She had been in respite care at another home and was not happy. Moving here has been the best decision we have made for my mother. She feels settled and happy and has a lovely room with a bay window overlooking the garden.
The manager has been a great point of contact and all the staff I have met are really friendly and always offered a cup of tea or even a meal if I happen to be there at meal times.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

The staff are absolutely amazing settling my mother seamlessly. Her accommodation is well suited to her needs. I am well looked after when I visit her.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

All positive after first two weeks. My dad has settled in well with very good care provided so far. All of the staff have a great way of working with the residents offering all the necessary support. Excellent management from the Manager who has made this initial settling period go smoothly.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Likely

In the last 2 months, the home has improved a great deal. New manager and now got caring staff.
The place is being looked after, believe there is a new handyman on hand and this shows.
Food has improved also.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Neither Unlikely or Likely

The care my wife receives is very good.
The staff are kind and caring.
She likes the food.
The home is always clean as well as her room.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

Supervision needed with my mother - incontinence - not hygienic and constant smell of urine. This has been raised with the manager. Clothes are marked with name and keep going missing at an alarming rate and far too costly. Very unhappy with this.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Debbie Bleach, Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 26 Apr 2016:

As the manager I am looking into this.

The general ambience of the home is excellent, and the staff are very caring and obliging, I was there for three weeks respite and have no complaints at all. I would not mind going again, especially to give my wife some respite as she does everything at our house.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Extremely Likely

Tracy D'arvigny, Area Manager at Cheney House responded to this review on 19 Apr 2016:

Thank-you for your comments and we aim to action all concerns made.
The activities coordinator works 5 days a week and she has a selection of activity displayed around the home, there is a monthly planner and booked entertainment. On your next visit, please feel free to view the boards in the main entrance and she can be made available for tea and chat if you wish. The manager has an open door policy and again, feel free to call in.

This home is on its way down again always short of staff. The staff are the residents main carers and are taken away to do kitchen duties. Surely if your short of staff you get someone from and agency and not take away these peoples carers. The activities person is taken away to cover the staff shortages (kitchen and carers) this means no activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Cheney House? Unlikely

Very pleased

Submit a Review for Cheney House

posted 15 hours ago

funded/private

Rating for 2017

Recipient: Cheney House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Cheney House