Ferndale Mews Care Home

St Michael's Road, Ditton, Widnes WA8 8TF

Located in Ditton in Widnes, Ferndale Mews Care Home is a care home offering residential dementia and dementia nursing care.

This small, friendly home is tastefully decorated with specially-designed furnishings for maximum comfort. The landscaped garden, pretty patio and conservatory are favourite places for residents to sit, relax and socialise with family and friends

All the bright and comfortable bedrooms and living areas are easily accessible by wheelchair.

Chefs can prepare a choice of home-cooked, fresh, nutritional meals and cater for any dietary and cultural needs.

The Home Manager, together with the rest of the team, will make sure that all Residents receive the kindest possible care.

Person in charge: John Holland (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Halton Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 34 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Separate Dementia Care Unit • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Ferndale Mews Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Ferndale Mews Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.2 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Ferndale Mews Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.254 for Ferndale Mews Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (81 Excellents x 5) + (108 Goods x 4) + (22 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 213 Ratings = 4.254

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Ferndale Mews Care Home is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 6.8 positive Reviews (34 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 6.8 Target Reached = 1

9.3 Ferndale Mews Care Home has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.254) from 18 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Ferndale Mews Care Home

The care, kindness and understanding we have received from all staff members have been second to none.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

A welcoming and friendly care home where any concerns can be liaised and will be addressed as far as practicable.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Likely

Improvements made during this year. Due to my husband's level of communication he doesn't participate in activities although I have seen interactions with other residents. Food is satisfactory for his needs but this was not the case a few weeks back when I stopped mashed potato. Management/team are working well together.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Ferndale Mews Care Home responded to this review on 25 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review, we value all feedback received as this helps us to improve our Service where required.

My father has been in this home a few years now. Initially, it seemed unorganised but since the current manager has been in place, the place is transformed. The staff are very caring and approachable. Nothing is too much trouble for them to address. They are always there with a smile to help in any way that is needed. My dad is happy and content in his home and I have every confidence in their ability to take care of him.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lovely small care home. Very firendly staff and helpful. Can't fault it at all.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I was very upset to have to put my dad in a care home. I had cared for him in my own home for six years. Dad has been in Ferndale Mews Care Home for three months and it has been a big adjustment for me to relinquish dads care.
I have found the manager to be approachable and empathic. The staff compassionate and willing to explain things. They treat the residents with love and respect. A family could not ask for more.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Helpful and caring. The staff work very hard, also they have a lot to deal with but do it very well. One issue, short staffed regularly.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Katie Price, Careline Advisor at Ferndale Mews Care Home responded to this review on 21 Sep 2017:

Ferndale Mews have been using an additional amount of agency carers over the last few months due to sickness and holidays, as we have been in the middle of the holiday period during July and August. We have booked agency carers to cover these shifts and they have unfortunately been last than reliable and have let us down on more than one occasion. Trying to replace them at the last minute has proved extremely difficult.

We have taken this up with the agencies in question as this is totally unacceptable, we have also been going through a recruitment drive to address this. This takes time with the necessary checks. We have turned this corner and have interviewed more candidates and have recruited an additional 132 hours as we only want staff committed to our residents who we support.

Unfortunately, recruiting good quality staff is a national problem and Ferndale Mews is no exception to this. However, we have been following a proactive approach to this over the last few months to deal with this problem and the management are very confident we have been able to resolve the problem.

This home has completely turned around. (Which was long awaited). The staff and management can not be faulted. The care staff work around the clock to ensure each and every resident are met with their daily needs. My dear friend of many years appears much happier and settled than ever before, which puts a big smile on my face. Food is good but still much room for improvement. My main issue with the home was the activities. Nothing ever seemed to be happening, to be put rather bluntly it was extremely dull. But based on my previous visits over the past couple of weeks, the activities appear to be improving, with new live entertainment and activity staff. On my last visit, I was greeted by the new activity coordinator who was dancing and singing to all residents including my friend, which was extremely heart warming to see. My last issue would be the laundry often clothes do go missing and never return, despite constant complaining. But none the less this is a fantastic care home with fantastic staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Ferndale Mews Care Home responded to this review on 31 Aug 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.
Your positive comments about the staff are appreciated and will be passed on to the team.
Making sure residents have a choice of their favourite foods is really important to us. Each home has its own dedicated catering team, who prepare all meals using fresh, raw, ingredients. All fresh meat and meat products are British Farm Assured.
You have highlighted a concern around lost clothing and we apologise for any upset or distress this caused.
We endeavour to ensure each residents’ clothing is washed and returned to them and we apologise again that on this occasion this has not happened.

Caring staff who treat residents with dignity. The facility is warm and clean.
Like most home possessions go missing due to patients accessing rooms. Washing and subsequent return to individuals needs improving. Despite all clothes being labels many items, don't return.
In general, no complaints about the home or staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Ferndale Mews Care Home responded to this review on 11 Jul 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to fill in a review. We are always looking for ways to improve our service and welcome your feedback. The team will continue to monitor the laundry systems.

My husband is still settling in (6 and a half weeks) but our family have always felt that he is well treated, safe and secure.
We are always welcomed warmly by the staff, whenever we arrive - morning, afternoon or evening.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

We can't praise The Mews enough for all the help they have done for my father in law . The staff are so friendly and are always happy to help and his room is always spotless and clean. We can't believe the difference in my father in law he is so happy now and he loves the meals and going in the gardens. At the end of the day, we know we have no worries about him in The Mews we know he's safe and well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father has been a resident for 18 months now at Ferndale Mews Care Home. Many issues over first 6 months, very poor overall, new management made massive improvements over last year or so. Lots of areas have progressed. New nursing staff again have improved things very much.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Ferndale Mews Care Home responded to this review on 10 Oct 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, and for your kind comments. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.
We are always looking to improve the service we provide at Ferndale Mews. While recruitment of quality nurses is a nationwide problem we have been fortunate to attract good quality nurses and carers who have joined us recently, this will help us to improve the quality of care provided to our Residents. As you are aware we are undergoing a major refurbishment programme at Ferndale Mews including a hair salon, coffee bar, reminisce room, cinema room and sensory and herb garden which will provide stimulating activities within Ferndale Mews.

When we first brought my mam to the care home, we didn't know what to expect. I had an overwhelming feeling of guilt as I felt I was abandoning her, but after her being there a while I was so happy because she was happy, she was safe and so well looked after. I can't praise the staff enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

After being associated with HC One Widnes for over two years now, I am confident to say that the stay of the service user I am acquainted to has been a completely satisfactory stay on all levels. I have seen significant turn over of staff, but standards have always remained. I do believe the current management are trying for improvements wherever possible to improve lifestyle for every individual service user to benefit from, including families. I do believe rooms should be refurbished regularly though, with adequate storage. we personally have had a lot of problems with losses in property. Menus need a good review in all kitchen aspects.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Ferndale Mews Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jun 2016:

In the summer of 2015 we announced a major new investment programme, with a further £100 million investment which will enable us to complete refurbishments right across all homes. Many of the changes being made have been decided by Residents themselves, and the first phase of this upgrade programme is currently underway at 50 homes, before expanding to all homes over the coming months.
We have a major refurbishment programme in place which is planned for July 2016, and we are investing £120.000 pounds on Ferndale mews including a coffee bar, Hair Salon, and other improvements. We are also addressing the standards of food within the home working closely with our hospitality team and we have just rolled out our summer menu`s. We always welcome suggestions from residents, families and visitors as we are always looking to improve the service we provide.
The Home Manager operates an open door policy; please feel free to pop in anytime to discuss any concerns you may have.

My mum has recently moved into this home. It was very stressful but the staff have made this transition easy. They are kind and caring to my mum and our family. They treat my mum with respect and dignity, nothing is too much trouble. She feels safe and secure and we no longer worry about her care and safety. They include her in all activities and do anything to make her feel valued. The staff are happy and enthusiastic in all aspects of their daily routine.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

My husband has been a resident in Ferndale Mews since May 2014. I call there most days usually visits average about thirty minutes. While occasionally the home appears untidy, e.g laundry not put away 'toys' left around, I appreciate it must be difficult to follow residents around. However, carers do seem to care and I have never witnessed any sign of a resident being ignored, exactly the opposite in fact. Whenever my husband seems unwell, the doctor is called promptly.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Likely

The toys which have been left out are part of reminiscence therapy for people living with dementia this includes memory boxes and rummage boxes for residents so they can pick items out and wander around the home, these items are put back at the end of the day to ensure the unit stays tidy. This is part of a therapy involving distraction techniques which has proved very successful in reducing peoples anxieties.
Thanking you again for taking the time to provide really helpful feedback about the home. We value all feedback and ensure it is recorded and acted upon.

Like all jobs some are better than other at tasks they perform, there are four or five who are very good at being carers. A couple who are not very good, the rest try but don't stand out like the good ones. I visit my wife every day so I know all the staff, overall I am happy they way she is treated. She is bed all the time now, her legs have lost there use and she has serious dementia. Nurses tend to her (sores etc) twice a week and regular visits from doctor.

How likely would you be to recommend Ferndale Mews Care Home? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Ferndale Mews Care Home responded to this review on 14 Apr 2016:

HC-One aims to deliver the kindest possible care to all Residents and know how important it is to provide continuity of care with friendly and familiar staff members to support each Resident. We are committed to delivering this vision through recruiting and on-going training of both our experienced staff and new members of staff. Please feel free to speak to the Home Manager about any issues, his door is open at all times. Thank you again for your feedback.’

No home is where you want your relatives to end up in, but this home had that open, clean welcoming feel full of friendly staff. After several visits, we always found this to be so and I could see that despite mum's failing health, she was being given the best care and treatment possible. It was obvious the staff were doing everything possible to give mum a comfortable home to live in. Unfortunately, mum became ill despite the best efforts of the staff and they always kept me informed of the ongoing situation. Due to her health problems, she has had to be moved out of the current care home part and I was pleased that she has been able to move into another part of the home group, the nursing group.

Submit a Review for Ferndale Mews Care Home

posted 16 Apr 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

John

John Holland

Introducing John Holland
Home Manager at Ferndale Mews, Widnes

What does kindness mean to you?

“Kind care means placing the individual at the heart of every aspect of their care.”

As a Registered Nurse, John has gained many years’ experience in providing care and support for older people to enrich their lives. He is a knowledgeable and dedicated leader who is passionate about delivering the highest possible standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

John joined Ferndale Mews as he shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. He uses his experience to motivate his team to deliver care and support in a way that Residents gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

He also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby organisations and is always quick to welcome the local community to Ferndale Mews.

When asked what he enjoys most about his role, John remarked: “I enjoy the challenge of delivering and maintaining high standards of care for our Residents.”

If you would like to find out more information about Ferndale Mews, John has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Ferndale Mews Care Home