Firth House

18 Firth Mews, Millgate, Selby YO8 3FZ

Anchor’s Firth House is located at the heart of Selby, in a quiet area within a mile of Selby Abbey.

The home provides residential and dementia care for residents in single en-suite rooms.

The care team work with individuals to create care plans to ensure their care needs are met.

Anchor are specialists in dementia care and provide training to ensure its approach is best for people living with dementia.

Staff work hard to build relationships and ensure all aspects of the service provided is focused on personalised, compassionate care.

Group: Anchor

Person in charge: Pearl Millin (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: North Yorkshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 41 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Independent Living Training • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Firth House: click here

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Firth House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Firth House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.825 for Firth House is calculated as follows: ( (210 Excellents x 5) + (38 Goods x 4) + (3 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 251 Ratings = 4.825

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Firth House is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.2 positive Reviews (41 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 8.2 Target Reached = 1

9.8 Firth House has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.825) from 21 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Firth House?

Reviewer Connection to Firth House

As a regular visitor to my mother I have been very impressed with the way staff treat all residents. I have never witnessed any resident treated with anything but courtesy, care and kindness and above all dignity. I would recommend Firth House to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

My mum is very settled and happy living here. The manager and staff are caring and patient. The team leaders and manager are always approachable, willing to listen and address any concerns.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

All the staff at Firth House are very caring and friendly to both residents and their families. It is not just carers who interact with residents but the kitchen, laundry, cleaning and admin staff, which creates the atmosphere of a large extended family in their 'home'. Despite being a bit upset and 'feisty' on a few occasions, my mother-in-law has been handled gently and calmly resolving the problem. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

Since my mum has been in Firth House I have noticed a difference in her for the better from her last home. She is happier more settled. The staff have been very good to her any concerns we have been very good to her any concerns we have we feel have been dealt with by the manager and her staff.
I am very happy for mum to be here she is cared for well.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

My brother and I reluctantly decided that our mother's needs could not be catered for in the home environment and that she needed specialist care. She has dementia and is not as able to look after herself.

Our first meeting at Firth House was very welcoming and reassuring, and we decided that this was the place for her. We have not regretted that decision. She was very unsure at the start but the staff were really good and now she is thoroughly enjoying her time there.

Any medical concerns are dealt with promptly and I am kept informed. The hygiene and cleanliness of the home is of a high standard. She has been recently moved to a different wing after the staff decided she would feel more engaged with others there. This has proved to be the case. She is also taking part in the organised activities.

What I have liked most about Firth House is the friendliness and level of care of the staff, very ably led by the manager.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

Excellent care home. Mother is very well cared for and looked after.
No complaints at all.
Excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

Staff are always so friendly and chatty and generally interested in the family.
My uncle is much happier being surrounded by people who care rather than being on his own at his house.

Food is excellent and he loves the activities. Everyone is so kind and my uncle looks very well.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

The staff were so kind to me when I was not well and needed TLC.
Very patient with me, and now I'm back to my cheeky self and everything is OK. I'm at home here now.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

I'm happy with the care here and I have no concerns.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Likely

My mother has been in Firth House for a few months. My first impression of the home is favourable. Although there have been a few changes in the month i.e. staff and the loss of the activities coordinator which hopefully will improve. I still feel mum has not settled and seems to spend a lot of time in her room, I DO NOT blame the staff for this but I feel with a little more encouragement mum would join in with the other members of the home. On a positive note, she says she is well fed and looking at the menus there is always a variety of food.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Likely

June White, District Manager at Firth House responded to this review on 14 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review, I’m sorry you don’t think your mum is settling as well as you had hoped, I have shared this with the staff to ensure they encourage her to come out of her room and participate in the activities taking place in the home.
Whist we have recently lost our activity coordinator, we are lucky to be involved in a new Anchor Active Pilot and now have 5 new champions in the home who have received additional training and will be supported to enable them to carry out activities focused on stimulating our customer's minds and well-being with more meaningful activities. This is supported by a newly appointed regional well-being coordinator.

I visit 2 residents in Firth House and they are both extremely happy and settled in the home.
It is clean and well looked after, the staff are extremely kind and very caring.
The home is very welcoming to the both the residents and visitors.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

Mum was looked after with great care, gave mum what she wanted to eat and drink. Cannot say how much we appreciated the care and attention from everyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

My wife attends as a day stay once a week, she has Alzheimer's disease. I find Firth House an excellent environment for her and management and staff caring and friendly. We attend any function and notice how the staff do care for residents and do look after them. As a carer for my wife, married 54 years, it's hard for all. but I now find it easier to leave her knowing she is safe, cared for and happy. Thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

My dad spent his last few years at Firth House and I couldn't have wished for better care. He never socialised easily throughout his life but the staff at Firth House accommodated his eccentricities, as well as his physical difficulties, with huge compassion and care. They gave him his privacy when he wanted it, organised help when he needed it and always encouraged him to remain as independent as possible. Nothing was ever too much to ask. I visited my dad at Firth House pretty much every day and always found his room clean, his needs met and (much to my surprise!) often in the company of one of his carers, chatting, reminiscing and having a good laugh; it always resembled a friendly hotel, where everyone knew each other, rather than a care home. When given the option for my dad to die in hospital or at Firth House, we chose Firth House. The staff went above and beyond to make him feel safe, comfortable and cared for in his last days and I think that says it all.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

My husband has been having two days a week in day care. It didn't take him long to settle down. He loves all the staff there. The way they greet him means a lot to him, also me as I can leave without worrying. This is the biggest thing I have had to do in my whole life, but the help of the lovely staff have got me through and I am sure the next step they will be there for me.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

I am very pleased with Firth House. It is an excellent care home. The staff treat residents with respect and the standard of care is second to none. They go above their requirements to go the extra mile to care for residents, nothing is too much trouble, as a daughter, I have no worries as I know my mother is well cared for and is very happy. It is certainly without doubt, clean and the best care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

I am recommending this home as an excellent care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

My mother has been very happy in Firth House and generally well cared for. The facilities have been upgraded in the past few years and activities have been more frequent and interesting.The staff are kind and respectful and treat her with dignity. We are happy with the care home and feel we couldn't easily find a better place and safer home for my mother.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

Firth House is an excellent home for my mother to live in. It is clean, food very good, and the staff are always available for any questions you may want to ask.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

I've been a fool not to have come into Firth House ages ago. I have already found heaven here. Everyone is so kind I want to cry. I tell all my friends about it, god bless the staff here as well as the management.

How likely would you be to recommend Firth House? Extremely Likely

I thoroughly enjoy living at Firth House. Everybody makes me feel so welcome, the care and food are excellent.

Submit a Review for Firth House

Recipient: Anchor

March 2017

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Firth House