Gills Top, Skipton, North Yorkshire

England’s largest provider of housing and care for those aged over 55 years, Anchor’s Gills Top is located in the picturesque village of Grassington, providing quality care and facilities within a comfortable and relaxing environment. The home is a short distance from the River Wharfe and enjoys an idyllic location within the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

The home provides residential care which is personally tailored to meet the individual needs of customers and enhance their quality of life. The care team works closely with customers and their loved ones to create detailed care plans. This ensures each individual’s health and care needs are continually met. Dementia care training is regularly provided for care staff to ensure their approach always reflects best practice.

As a Sunday Times Top 100 Not-for-Profit Organisations to work for both in 2016, Anchor reinvests profits into its retirement and care homes, which allows them to ensure standards are high and exceed expectations. The Dementia Care Team achieved the Outstanding Dementia Care Innovation for the Anchor Inspires Programme and the use of iPads at the Dementia Care Awards in 2015.

Group: Anchor

Person in charge: Andrea Smith (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: North Yorkshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 27 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Gills Top: click here

posted 16 Feb 2018

We currently have two vacancies for care. Please contact Gills Top directly for more details.

9.7 Gills Top has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.749)

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Gills Top is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Gills Top in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.749 for Gills Top is calculated as follows: ( (165 Excellents x 5) + (46 Goods x 4) + (4 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 215 Ratings = 4.749

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Gills Top is based on 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 5.4 positive Reviews (27 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 18 Reviews ÷ 5.4 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Gills Top?

Reviewer Connection to Gills Top

Gills Top is an excellent home for the elderly. The home is clean and tidy, the staff are helpful and friendly and the food is good.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

My wife and I visited my mother last weekend. Ever since she has been at the home we have been impressed with the quality of care she has received. On this occasion, with a recent fracture to her arm after a fall during the night, we came away totally reassured that she is receiving the best possible care. The staff could not have been more helpful and attentive and their concern for her welfare was evident throughout our visit which extended from late morning and over lunch. On every visit, we have been impressed by the continuity of care that carers are obviously well trained and motivated staff a real tribute to the manager. My mother has told us she loves living at the home and always tells us of the activities laid on for residents. The home is warm and cosy and we're grateful mum is in such good hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

My husband was admitted to the Gills Top, Scar Street for respite due to him having had a fall at home and I needed surgery to my back. I found all the staff very professional in their approach to my husband i.e. washing, food, personal care, room clean and tidy and always with a smile and always made me and my friends and family very welcome. Long may we have Anchor Homes!

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Likely

There is always a friendly atmosphere as one enters the home. It is very much care for the individual's needs. The catering appears to be excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Likely

My friend is happy here and that is all I am bothered about. Bedrooms could be made into bed-sitters.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

Excellent care for my mother-in-law nothing too much trouble whether it is for her or my family. It is so homely and clean lots going on to stimulate the residents. Every member of staff is always smiling and looks happy with their work. Always helpful and keen to ask if everything is ok. They deal with individual food requirements and ages of residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

Everything that my mother needs have been taken care of. The staff are always attentive nothing is too much trouble. The facilities are clean and well maintained.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

Gills Top is homely, respectful, clean and comfortable. Caring, considerate, attentive, efficient staff who do not rush. Busy but peaceful. Activities on offer but residents not pressured to take part. Food is excellent with good, well balanced, nutritional choices.
This I received and observed - staff and residents did also. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

My friend who I have known all my life has been in the above care home for the last two to three years.
I have visited her regularly and have found the home immaculate.
The staff are all very friendly.
The residents are very well cared for by all.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

Caring, friendly, enthusiastic staff made our time at Gills Top a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Every effort was made to ensure that we wanted for nothing - we were made so welcome.
The warm atmosphere, lively banter, range of activities and truly fantastic food made it a real home from home.
I think Mum would have liked to stay!
The kindness shown to us and the concern for my needs as well as my mums was really touching.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

The kind and loving care my daughter and I have received from the staff has been wonderful and the food has been excellent.
I have thoroughly enjoyed the break and will return home feeling greatly refreshed. I will miss the warm and friendly atmosphere on my return home and also the fun of the quizzes and exercise sessions.
A happy, clean and well-run establishment.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

My review relates to my whole experience of Gills Top and the staff there.
All your staff are friendly, professional and approachable. This is both mine and my mother's first experience of the care home environment. The staff have assisted us both in offering both support and reassurance. More importantly, my mother is settled and is flourishing.
The staff are fully aware of my mother's needs and of how to meet them with dignity and respect.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

It was with considerable unease, not to say dread, that I approached my fortnight's at Gills Top never having experience living in a care home in my 97 years. It took me quite a while to adjust to the new experience, but during this period, and throughout most of my stay, the staff at Gills Top were most supportive and encouraging. In the second week of my stay, I really enjoyed my 'holiday' and meeting some of the other residents. I greatly appreciated the support of the staff and I really enjoyed the food! I hope to spend further respite stays at Gills Top when I trust I will settle back into the experience quickly and without trepidation.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

Both my parents have stayed in this home - my father for almost 3yrs and my mother for more than 4yrs. Gills Top is a small, homely, residential care home, located in the centre of Grassington. In recent years, it has been partially refurbished with new lighting, sprinklers, fire alarms, floor coverings etc installed. The ground floor lounge/dining area is attractive, modern and welcoming. The rooms are small and a little cramped so the home suits residents who are sociable and like to spend time with other people in the lounge/dining area.

The level of support I've received from the staff and management has been excellent - they've gone out of their way to keep me informed of my parents' condition and have supported me with excellent advice when my parents have required hospital admission and subsequent advanced care.

Both my parents have now moved on to nursing home accommodation and I shall genuinely miss my daily visits to Gills Top for tea, cake and a chat.

Highly recommended.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

If I have ever to go into care again I wouldn't hesitate in returning to Gills Top. The Queen couldn't have been looked after better. Spotlessly clean, kind, attentive staff, excellent food. Thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

A very friendly and helpful organisation. Their attention to " room service" was first class. The staff were very thoughtful and caring especially the infirm in wheelchairs. The permanent residents are very content as far as I could see. The number of residents seems large enough. The wall light switches are on the opposite side of the room to the bed but there is a table lamp. There are no full-length mirrors only small wall cabinets.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

My mother enjoyed her time at the care home and made friends with staff and residents. They let me visit when I wanted to so all in all the staff were pleasant.

How likely would you be to recommend Gills Top? Extremely Likely

My Mother has been a resident in Gills Top since August 2015 until she sadly passed away on the 5th of May 2017.

We as a family highly praise the staff and management of Gills Top for their dedicated care and support given to my mum, always willing to go the extra mile to make it her home. We thank them all sincerely.

Submit a Review for Gills Top