Washington Manor, Washington, Tyne & Wear

Washington Manor is one of several homes from St Martins Care that has been established to provide a compassionate environment for individual needs and lifestyle.

Homely comforts are enhanced by specialist equipment, while there is also home-cooked food and a varied programme of activities that includes gentle exercises, cinema nights and celebrations that loved ones can also get involved with.

This purpose-built home values its local reputation and is well situated for access to Newcastle, Durham and Sunderland.

Group: St Martins Care Ltd

Person in charge: Margaret Fairrie (Care Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Sunderland City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 68 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Washington Manor: click here

9.4 Washington Manor has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.419)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Washington Manor is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 15 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Washington Manor in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.419 for Washington Manor is calculated as follows: ( (93 Excellents x 5) + (69 Goods x 4) + (16 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 179 Ratings = 4.419

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Washington Manor is based on 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13.6 positive Reviews (68 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 15 Reviews ÷ 13.6 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Washington Manor?

Reviewer Connection to Washington Manor

Washington Manor Care Home is the best facility I have ever seen. The residents are wonderful, the staff are the best.
Everyone says hello when you walk in.
So please keep up the wonderful work you do and a big thank you from me.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

My mum has recently come to live at Washington Manor and she could not be happier. The home itself is beautifully maintained, immaculately clean and tastefully decorated. I cannot praise the team highly enough. They are all without exception so kind and caring and can not do enough for mum or for us. Mum loves them all.

She has a newfound appetite for the delicious home cooking and is enjoying the regular activities provided for the residents. She has been able to furnish her room with her own possessions so it really is a home from home for her with the benefit of excellent care and company.

Overall, moving here was mum's best decision in a long time and we have no hesitation in recommending Washington Manor.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

My mam was a resident at Washington Manor for 7 and a half years, until she sadly passed away in May 2017. I cannot praise the management and staff highly enough for the way, not only was she treated, but her family too during her last few days.
During her time there, she was well cared for and looked after and the staff worked hard. They were always very pleasant and answered any questions we put to them about her welfare and any other issues we had.
There has been quite a change in staff over the past few years, but a new manager has now been appointed and things have certainly improved over the past few months. The new decor upstairs has made a huge improvement, the only downside is that the new flooring hasn't been put throughout.
I will certainly continue to visit the staff and residents and support the home in future events.
I would like to wish management and staff all the very best for the future.
I have visited a few homes in Washington and this is by far the best one.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

Washington Manor is an excellent care home my father has been there just over a year now and the care and attention he has had during this time are second to none.The staff are always friendly and helpful.The room for my father is always spotlessly clean and the care home is always well maintained. There is always plenty for residents to eat and drink and anyone who has any special needs as regards meals are catered for separately. I feel that by moving my father into this care home it has probably extended his life span as he could never get this level of care when he was in his own home.The home provides lots of activities to help stimulate the minds and bodies of residents.Overal Washington Manor is a wonderful place.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

My mam has been a resident since Oct 2016. She settled really quickly following a move from another care home and this was due to the care from the staff. I feel I am consulted and listened to when it comes to the care my mam needs. There have been some recent changes in staffing and improvements are apparent. I appreciate how hard the staff are working in implementing the new changes.I now feel confident my mam is in a safe environment, I did not have that confidence in her previous care home. I visit on a regular basis and the staff will inform me of how mam has been and assist me in getting her ready to go out if I need help.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

This fantastic nursing home has been the residence of my mother for the past 2 years and recently my father for 6 weeks respite. I could not praise the compassion, professionalism and dedication of the staff. Well done all. This nursing home is an example for all others. A big thank you to you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

I have found the staff and the management to be very pleasant and helpful. They always listen to what I have to say and help when needed. I feel that if I had a problem, it would be dealt with in a professional way. My mam said that she is happy there.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

Washington Manor has supplied care for my father for nearly three years. Various managers have come and gone which brings its own problems. However, a new manager has recently been appointed and she is like a breath of fresh air. Very experienced, helpful and her door is always open. I am confident that she will be a great manager and she knows exactly how a good care home should be run.

The empathy and help I have been shown prior to my father having to go into nursing care have been very much appreciated.
One particular senior who has worked for many years in Washington Manor is excellent in her role and she has helped my dad and me solve any issues which arise.
There are always issues in a care home environment but the staff go out of their way to help in any way they can. I wish Washington Manor staff and residents very best wishes for the future.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Likely

Catherine McLanders, Head Office Manager at Washington Manor responded to this review on 04 Jul 2017:

We have recently taken on an additional activities coordinator and offer a variety of activities throughout the week and weekends. We are always happy to amend our program to suit our resident's interests.

I visit my mam regularly. The staff always inform me how she has been and are always helpful, if there are any concerns they are always looked into. There have been a few changes lately but all for the better.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Likely

Excellent service, mum well looked after and always informed of all aspects regarding her.
Always a welcome greeting when visiting from all members of management and staff at the home. Would highly recommend this home.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

I have been visiting my Mum at this home for the last 18 month and during this time have had no serious cause to be concerned about her welfare. I attend most weeks 5 days and some weeks 7 days sometimes twice a day. From entering the premises to leaving usually 2 hours later, I find the staff to be helpful caring and informative with any and all enquiries questions or minor concerns I have raised. If there is anything going on I am informed either verbally or by reading the notices and notice board NEast reception. Senior staff have always been available to me if I have some matters to be raised. If I have informed the home over anything, I find it has been dealt with very quickly and I have been given updates is required. When I inform them of a pending day out for my Mum when I arrive to collect her, she is clean and dressed comfortably for the weather. Mum is well known to the staff and it's nice to see her been spoken to by her name so much " Hello". "Are you ok" etc....

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

This care home is very clean and well maintained, the staff are very friendly and helpful and make visitors welcome.
My father was very well looked after and enjoyed having conversations with staff and they met all of his needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

After a fall my brother was in the hospital for 3 months. He was placed in Washington Manor in April 2017. In the last three months, he has recovered extremely well due to the efforts of the staff. I would highly recommend this establishment.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in Washington Manor for approx 18 months and after a couple of management changes, we now have a new manager who seems to have rung in the changes and is starting to make her mark already. The manager has listened to my concerns about my mothers care within the home and has acted upon them where possible. I look forward to the future and new direction that Washington Manor appears to be currently taken.
The staff appointed have a good relationship with my mother, and she adores the ones that are selected to care for her needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Washington Manor? Likely

We managed to get my mother into Washington Manor for respite and the difference in her is outstanding. Because of the care, she is receiving, she is healthier and more alert and seems to be settling in very well, which we did not expect with her condition. I would recommend Washington Manor and thank the staff for their kindness and care shown to my mother.

Submit a Review for Washington Manor

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Washington Manor

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Washington Manor