Westerleigh Residential Home

Scott Street, Stanley DH9 8AD

Westerleigh Care Home is situated in Stanley, County Durham, close to the local market. An ex-colliery village, Stanley has a very friendly, warm and close-knit community feel to it.

The staff at Westerleigh are warm and friendly and visitors comment on how welcoming they are. Their interaction with residents is very ‘hands-on’ and they treat them like their own family. It is genuinely true to say that their residents are loved.

A lot of emphasis is placed on activities to keep the residents stimulated, with things like exercises, excursions, picnics, movie night, dominoes and painting. There is a local market every Thursday which some residents like to attend and a few go to the pub now and then.

Staff, like to build a close relationship with residents', families and friends and have an open door policy for them.

The residents also get involved in the running of the home and help with the post, gardening and many other activities.

Links with the community are encouraged and groups come in from local schools, colleges and churches.

Group: Akari Care Ltd

Person in charge: Tracey Logan (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Durham County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 55 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Westerleigh Residential Home: click here

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for Westerleigh Residential Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 11 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Westerleigh Residential Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.45 for Westerleigh Residential Home is calculated as follows: ( (90 Excellents x 5) + (24 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) + (4 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 131 Ratings = 4.45

The 4.545 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Westerleigh Residential Home is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11 positive Reviews (55 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 11 Target = 0.545

9 Westerleigh Residential Home has a Review Score of 9 (8.995) from 11 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Westerleigh Residential Home?

Reviewer Connection to Westerleigh Residential Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

I have visited quite a few care homes in recent years, visiting family and friends and Westerleigh Care Home is up there with the best. The staff are so helpful and nothing seems to be any problem for them. It is very clean and very secure for the residents. Would certainly recommend this home if asked. No issues whatsoever.

How likely would you be to recommend Westerleigh Residential Home? Extremely Likely

Unfortunately after 18 months, we decided it was necessary to 'rehome' our mother for many reasons. Although the majority of staff were kind towards her and appeared caring there were several issues that were not addressed despite many requests to staff, management, head office and professionals. (Infections going untreated, lack of basic personal hygiene etc) Conditions were below standard and in many areas inadequate in our opinion. Our mother was not receiving what was expected for her care. There seems to be a lack of consistency within their policies and procedures, staff make limited time to spend with residents. The home itself is modern and boasts a ' landscaped garden area' according to their brochure. Where? Residents are rarely taken outside. If ran effectively it could be much improved. We never saw many relatives visiting. My mother is much more settled already in her new surroundings, is receiving good care and given dignity, which has a big impact on her well being.

How likely would you be to recommend Westerleigh Residential Home? Extremely Unlikely

Claire Harrop, Deputy Manager at Westerleigh Residential Home responded to this review on 12 Mar 2018:

Thank you, Susan, for your comments. I must apologise if you felt that you had a negative experience at Westerleigh, however, I am pleased to see that you did find that the staff were kind towards your mother. I know you did raise some concerns while your mother was a resident with us and I can only apologise that you felt they were not dealt with appropriately. We have recently introduced a new daily living sheet which has greatly reduced the time that is spent completing paperwork, and this has resulted in staff spending more social time with residents. I would again like to thank you for bringing to our attention any concerns that you have, we are always looking for ways to improve the service. I am glad to see your mother has settled well in her new home and I hope she continues to receive good quality care.

Myself and my husband find Westerleigh care home very clean, food good, rooms very good, staff kind and very friendly (including all staff). I can't say about night time but if they are anything like the day staff they will be fine.
Must mention the laundry service which also is A1. Management, admin also top notch. One thing I will mention is the food which is always served hot and tastes fine with good variety.
I will definitely give Westerleigh care home 10/10 overall. (P.S. Xmas lunch excellent).

Claire Harrop, Deputy Manager at Westerleigh Residential Home responded to this review on 14 Feb 2018:

Thank you for your very kind comments. We love having you both with us, you are a lovely couple. We look forward to spending many more years with you both.

My mother was in Westerleigh 5 years ago, well looked after whilst in care until she passed away. Whilst visiting then and visiting now have always found the staff very friendly and caring.

Claire Harrop, Deputy Manager at Westerleigh Residential Home responded to this review on 30 Jan 2018:

Many Thanks for your kind words, I'm very pleased to know we still have the same high standards as when we cared for your loved one.

The home is really welcoming, staff are very good and eager to please and I find they can not do enough for my father.

Claire Harrop, Deputy Manager at Westerleigh Residential Home responded to this review on 25 Jan 2018:

Thanks for your review Thomas. It's a pleasure to look after your loved one.

My experience of this care home is that it is well run and my mum is well looked after and well cared for. Nothing is a bother to either care staff or the management they are always available if needed and always give a friendly welcome whenever entering and always a friendly goodbye when leaving. I highly recommend this home when speaking of it.

Claire Harrop, Deputy Manager at Westerleigh Residential Home responded to this review on 23 Jan 2018:

Thank you Carole for your kind words and high recommendation. It is a pleasure to care for your mum.

Following the recent incident of the ill health of my mother, I have needed to liaise with the manager and senior carers. On all occasions, I have found them to be very approachable and ready to speak with me regardless of their obvious heavy workloads and other commitments. Thank you.

Tracey Logan, Manager at Westerleigh Residential Home responded to this review on 20 Dec 2017:

Thank you for your kind comments.

Called and spoke with the manageress about a room for my uncle, she was very understanding and helpful, she gave us a 'tour' of the home and we were very impressed by the high standard shown. As a result my uncle is going into stay for his care.

I am happy living at Westerleigh and there have been some good changes since management changed. Overall its a good place to live.

I don't leave my room very often but I do feel very safe and secure. I know the staff are here to help and i get on with everyone.

Friendly, polite. I enjoy coming, we do different things. If I don't like the menu they would always do something to suit me. Don't know home manager. She never speaks.

How likely would you be to recommend Westerleigh Residential Home? Likely

paula Stobart, Home Manager at Westerleigh Residential Home responded to this review on 11 Nov 2015:

I speak to everyone who visits or resides within Westerleigh as I love to interact with all service users.

Submit a Review for Westerleigh Residential Home

Recipient: Akari Care Ltd

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Westerleigh Residential Home