Pitkerro Care Centre

146 Pitkerro Road, Dundee DD4 8ER

Pitkerro Care Centre is a purpose-built Dundee accommodation, specialising in many forms of nursing and also in achieving sound care provision for people with dementia.

While looking to achieve consistent and top quality care methods, the Pitkerro service is also keenly focused on helping residents achieve a sense of independence and satisfaction with their daily lifestyles.

A programme of activities and outings allows for many fulfilling days and hobbies, with loved ones welcome to join in, including for mealtimes and other social occasions.

Group: Hudson Healthcare

Person in charge: Chima Banda (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dundee City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 70 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Pitkerro Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Pitkerro Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 40 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Pitkerro Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.611 for Pitkerro Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (321 Excellents x 5) + (123 Goods x 4) + (21 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 471 Ratings = 4.611

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Pitkerro Care Centre is based on 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14 positive Reviews (70 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 15 Reviews ÷ 14 Target Reached = 1

9.6 Pitkerro Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.611) from 40 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Pitkerro Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Pitkerro Care Centre

My mother-in-law has been in Pitkerro Care for over 3 years. In this time, I have found the staff to be very professional and very caring towards all the residents. They also keep us informed if a doctor has to be called for my mother-in-law if she needs medication. We are alerted should there be virus's etc in the home. My mother-in-law is very happy and well looked after. I can't praise the staff enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 11 Apr 2018:

Thank you very much for taking your time from your busy schedule to review us. I have taken note of the cleanliness we will try to improve in this area.

Excellent care and attention from staff and management. Happy environment. My father is very happy with the medical attention he receives, staff are very attentive to his needs, always a pleasure to visit him. I am always made very welcome. Staff always take time to keep me updated towards his progress.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 10 Apr 2018:

Thank you very much for taking time from your busy schedule to review us. As a home, we are open to all suggestions that you may have to help us with improvement. Please feel free to see me for any concerns. We also appreciate the contributions you make to the home.

I am very happy with the care my brother gets. It is very friendly. The staff are always very happy to help you and are always smiling.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 09 Apr 2018:

Thank you Malcolm for taking time from your busy schedule to review us. We really appreciate your support, however, should you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact or see me in person.

Very helpful and provide excellent care for my mother. All staff very friendly. Would recommend any friends to look into any family they may wish to put into care.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 05 Apr 2018:

Thank you for taking time to review us. We also appreciate your support please do not hesitate to see me when there are concerns.

My family are happy with care which is being provided. My Aunt is well looked after and is always giving good compliments to the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Thank you for reviewing us and please do not hesitate to see me should there be any concerns.

Staff are kept busy, run off their feet but manage.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Likely

My mum is very well looked after in Pitkerro Care Centre. Staff are sensitive to her requirements in respecting her medical condition and let her lead her daily routine. She has a lovely room with wet room within and also a nice lounge/dining area which she uses.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 03 Apr 2018:

Thank you very much for taking time to review us. We really appreciate your support and as always said please do not hesitate to see me for any concerns. Thanks again.

My mum fell and broke her hip just before Christmas last year and sadly my mum was the carer for my dad which left us looking for a respite place in a care home for my dad very quickly. The manager kindly managed to help us and had a room available for respite care. My dad has had to stay here altogether now as my mum sadly cant look after my dad anymore. We as a family are delighted with Pitkerro Care Centre the manager and all the staff have been fantastic they have managed to make this move so comfortable for my dad and less painless for us. The staff are very caring, patient and kind, my dad has settled in very nicely. We are all made very welcome when we visit my dad.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mum has been a resident of Pitkerro Care Centre since May 2017. She has settled well and I am happy with her care. The staff are lovely and always treat her with dignity and respect. Any issues I have raised have been addressed and dealt with promptly and I have always been kept fully informed.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 08 Mar 2018:

Thank you very much for reviewing us we appreciate your contribution to the home. As always, the home still holds an open door policy, and you are still welcome for any concerns that may arise.

I am happy with the care my parents receive at Pitkerro. The staff are friendly and diligent. The place is kept very clean and the food is of a nutritious nature. The management are helpful and courteous. I would recommend this home to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Likely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 29 Nov 2017:

Thank you for reviewing us, we so grateful for your support. As a home, we are open to suggestion to help us to continue moving forward. Once again thank you

My mum has just gone in to Pitkerro Care Centre. She has settled in really well as the staff have gone out of their way to make her feel very welcome and is being given excellent care. As her daughter I feel very happy to leave her in the care home after I have been to visit her.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

As a family we find our mother's care to be excellent. The staff are very patient and knowledgeable of all the resident's needs.
Any questions that we may have are always addressed immediately and we have no concerns leaving our mother in their care.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 20 Nov 2017:

Thank you very much, Linda, for taking your precious time to review us. As I have always said please feel free to see me if there are any concerns. As a home we happy to hear from you and we will work hand in hand with you to ensure that we make Pitkerro a home and not just a place to live in.

Pros - Really good home, very happy, good care.
Cons - Clothing tends to go missing (often) having renewed my mum's slippers 4 times!

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 16 Nov 2017:

Ian, I am very sorry to hear about the missing slippers. Please come and speak to me so that we can arrange to reimburse you for these. Our staff do try very hard to avoid clothing going missing, but it can be difficult at times when clothes aren’t labelled.

I feel there isn't enough going on to stimulate the resident's minds or body. TV on, not loud enough to hear and music playing from another source at the same time. Never seems to be enough staff for the residents that are in the sitting room, where most of them are during the day and where most of them are sleeping due to no stimulation and being dehydrated most of the time.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Unlikely

Management and staff have always been on hand to answer questions and help my husband when needed. He has had excellent care and is treated with dignity at all times. This has been a great help to me at this stressful time. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 08 Nov 2017:

Thank you June for reviewing us and again. I would like to urge you to let me know where you have concerns.

The home is bright and reasonably modern. Mum's room is south facing which makes it nice and bright and cheery. The room is a nice size with en-suite shower room and special adjustable bed. The staff are very caring and usually upbeat.
I feel mum is much safer in the home than she was in her own house with carers coming in each day.
I like that the unit mum is in has just 11 residents rooms with lounge etc. So it is a small number who live together within the larger home of a total amount of about 75 residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Likely

Chima Banda, Home manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 08 May 2017:

Thank you very much for reviewing our service. we really appreciate and value that you took the time to complete the questionnaire.

What a welcoming care home, my father has been in for over a week now and they have been so caring towards him. Beautiful inside and the staff are great, the care home manager is a true gem. A well-organised home and the care they provide is outstanding. Thank you so much.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 17 Feb 2017:

Thank you for sending such kind words and Thank you for taking the time to complement our service, we certainly appreciate hearing them. Your positive feedback allows us to know our efforts are appreciated and we are pleased that you’re happy with dad's placement.

Mum has settled very well into Pitkerro care home. Staff have been very kind and attentive.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

chima banda, home manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 18 Aug 2016:

Thank you very much for your review and the home continues to have an open door policy and are welcome to discuss anything that would help us continue to provide the best standard of care.

Very impressed to see residents are so well cared for. Having visited many nursing homes, it is such a relief to know that the people we know and love are well cared for. The care and attention shows from the minute you walk in the door. Would recommend to anyone looking for care for a relative.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Prisca Katsande, Business Administrator at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 05 Jul 2016:

Thank you so much for your kind words, we strive as a team to make our home a happy home for all.

Pitkerro nursing home is a big bright modern home with 70 single room all with en suite shower rooms. The client rooms are also bigger than some other nursing homes. The home has a very friendly and welcoming environment. The management and staff are friendly and professional and were always willing to help mum and us adapt to this new situation, for all of us.
The staff showed compassionate care to our mum at all times. we were actively encouraged to make mums room individual and as homely as we wished. The staff appeared happy and caring at work and this transferred to mum who settled in very well and quickly, to our relief. Mum felt safe and secure in these new and strange surroundings and this was down to the staff. The staff were brilliant with mum and also us and for this I would like to thank them.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

At Pitkerro we found our mother received a high standard of care, staff were all excellent, very skilled and caring in their roles, which gave us peace of mind that Mum was being so well looked after. I would highly recommend this home, the environment, facilities are excellent and more importantly all the staff are a credit to the to caring profession.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 18 Apr 2016:

Thank you very much for your kind words, we truly appreciate positive feedback and strive towards delivering the best service that we can.

The staff have shown nothing but kindness and understanding particularly to my husband but also to the rest of us as a family. He can be a bit difficult sometimes but the staff and management are brilliant with him. the home is clean and bright, his room is the same and being able to personalise it for him makes such a difference. The staff are very friendly and approachable and will do their best to sort any problems we may have. All in all very happy with everything.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I am very pleased that my partner is looked after well from the staff. No complaints whatsoever.

Never had any problems.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Likely

Staff are very friendly, supportive and professional in manner.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Staff are fabulous management are excellent nothing bad to say about anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The staff are always very patient and helpful to my mother. They are always ready and able to answer any questions I ask relating to my mother's care and status.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Very happy with everything.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Likely

This place is very good, we can rest easy knowing he is in a safe place.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Likely

Staff are excellent, very clean home. Beautiful meals, very welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 08 Mar 2016:

Thanks so much for the lovely review.

Staff at the home are excellent as well as meals and management.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My gran has developed very well since coming to the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My brother is happy with the care and very appreciative with the help he gets from all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I am very happy with her care and support from the staff and my mum seems happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I think my mother is well looked after and all the staff, when asked know how my mother is doing. Very satisfied with the level of care and attention my mother receives.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

When arriving at Pitkerro Care Centre, you notice the building has a fresh look, in a pleasant setting. Entering the building you are made welcome by the staff and the area is clean and tidy with visitors and contractors signing in book. Entering the area where the residents are, you are met by the person in charge or by any of the carers if they can help you with a very pleasant manner and cheerfully. The area (lounge and dining room) was clean and tidy with a nice smell. I found my wife's bedroom tidy and clean with nice heat. When you leave the staff and carers ask if everything was alright. Finally security for all door codes. Perfect.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Our dad is well looked after. He is fed well. The staff are always polite and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Likely

During my visits I am quite happy with the care!

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Likely

Pitkerro is a very modern home with a friendly environment. Most of the staff genuinely care about the residents and are hard working and interested about the care of individuals. The food is reasonable. Some chefs are better than others. The domestic staff are very good, the home doesn't smell (which it shouldn't if people are doing their job properly) and the decor is ok. Some things could do with being renewed e.g. carpets, curtains and fresh paint. On the whole, we are quite satisfied with the home for our Mum, if we have any issues the staff are very approachable and will listen to what we say.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Likely

I am happy enough in the home. The carers are all very helpful and attentive. My only concern is that there are a lot of times when new or temporary staff are not so experienced in handling me.

How likely would you be to recommend Pitkerro Care Centre? Unlikely

Chima Banda, Home Manager at Pitkerro Care Centre responded to this review on 20 Jan 2016:

Dorothy, thank you so much for your kind comments and lovely praise for the staff! I am very pleased to hear that you are happy at Pitkerro and we love having you here!

While we do make every effort to keep regular staff on the same floors, you will appreciate it is at times necessary for staff to rotate to other areas of the home to gain and maintain a wider skill set. If staff are on holiday or sick, we at times must resort to temporary staff cover to ensure consistent standards of care are maintained at all the times.

Submit a Review for Pitkerro Care Centre

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Pitkerro Care Centre

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Pitkerro Care Centre