Beacher Hall Care Home, Reading, Berkshire

Located near the centre of Reading, Beacher Hall provides a wide range of care services in comfortable and homely surroundings. Care is offered to young people who are physically disabled and those suffering from brain injuries as a result of an accident or disease. Care is also offered for those living with Parkinson's and multiple sclerosis – as well care for younger residents with life-limiting diseases. The home offers both long-term care, short stays and rehabilitation.

A converted listed building, Beacher Hall offers a relaxing environment that is well equipped for a range of individual care needs. First class facilities include a physiotherapy suite and a gymnasium to aid rehabilitation. All bedrooms have en-suite facilities as well as a TV and telephone point. Comfortable communal areas and lounges as well as the attractive landscaped gardens provide the ideal setting where residents can socialise and relax with friends and family.

The home goes to great effort to ensure mealtimes are satisfying and enjoyable, aiming for a balanced and nutritious diet that also accounts for personal taste.

Sensory art classes and music therapy are part of a thriving activities programme, and regular trips and outings are organised allowing residents to get out and enjoy community life or visit the cinema.

Person in charge: Lorraine Lynch (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Reading Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 70 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Head/Brain Injury • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Spanish; Castilian, Italian, Nepali, Portuguese, Russian

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Beacher Hall Care Home: click here

9 Beacher Hall Care Home has a Review Score of 9 (9.027)

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for Beacher Hall Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 11 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Beacher Hall Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.4 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.598 for Beacher Hall Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (95 Excellents x 5) + (26 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 132 Ratings = 4.598

The 4.429 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Beacher Hall Care Home is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14 positive Reviews (70 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 14 Target = 0.429

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Beacher Hall Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Beacher Hall Care Home

• Mother of Resident/Service User

My father was at Beacher Hall for a couple of months prior to his passing early in September. The care he received was excellent and as you would expect, he was treated with great dignity and respect. The support provided to my mother and family was none other than exceptional. The staff talked, listened and provided whatever we needed even when we hadn’t asked.

The facilities whilst tired and in need of a freshen up, were functional and it felt like a home and not a ‘nursing home’.

The staff are welcoming and nothing is too much trouble, they really care and it showed. Every single one of them are a credit to Beacher Hall.

How likely would you be to recommend Beacher Hall Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Beacher Hall Care Home responded to this review on 29 Sep 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and kind words about our staff. It is the little things that make all the difference especially in the sad times.

Building tired and worn, only 1 lift which is small and used for residents and bringing food, linen and supplies to all floors. Ensuite toilet inaccessible by wheelchair, no grab rails, no shower facilities except communal and in a terrible state of repair. Resident's rooms small, not suitable for electric wheelchairs.
Staff excellent from nursing to reception who had time for everybody. Language and understanding could be an issue with care staff.
My opinion was "shame on you care group" for not keeping up and improving facilities for residents and staff, especially when these residents are our most vulnerable people.

How likely would you be to recommend Beacher Hall Care Home? Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Facilities: Poor

Cleanliness: Very Poor

Rooms: Poor

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Beacher Hall Care Home responded to this review on 23 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service.

What a great care home! I would definitely recommend it. From the amazing welcome and friendship offered from the front desk to the last care assistants that I see on my way home, the staff at Beacher Lodge are smiley and helpful. Nothing seems too much trouble.
The home is well run and staff enjoy coming to work. The nurses give me confidence that my husband is being well cared for.
the physio department, entertainments, housekeeping and gardener all contribute to a high all round standard of care. Try and get a place here if you possibly can.

How likely would you be to recommend Beacher Hall Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Beacher Hall Care Home responded to this review on 14 Aug 2017:

The care could not have been better. My dad was washed and changed right up to the end. He was treated with dignity and respect. He was checked on very regularly to see if he wanted anything, was comfortable or in pain.
The room was kept to a high standard and was comfortable to be in.
The care manager and senior nurse we dealt with couldn't be more helpful. The staff were all superb. Care was definitely part of their make up.

How likely would you be to recommend Beacher Hall Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Beacher Hall Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jul 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

My wife has been a resident at Beacher Hall for approx. 7 weeks and I have been very impressed by the professionalism and care quality delivered by the team. There is always a member of staff available to speak to, the housekeeping is excellent and the full-time activity coordinator does a great job ensuring there is something to engage and stimulate my wife's interest each day. The building could do with a lick of paint here and there but that does not detract from the overall experience my wife is having being resident there.

How likely would you be to recommend Beacher Hall Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administator at Beacher Hall Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that your wife is settled and enjoying the activities and that you feel at ease knowing that she is been looked after.

My brother entered Beachers Hall in August 2016. He had Parkinsons disease and learning difficulties. He died sadly in January 2017 but the time he spent with Beachers transformed his life. He was well cared for, his room personal hygiene was second to none. Nothing is too much trouble for the home. They have consistent staffing levels and lots of them have been with Beachers for many many years. My brother enjoyed the activities which are on every day and in particular bingo! The home are receptive to new ideas and accommodating of all of our requests. The home manager works tiredlessly in the background and her door is always open should you need her. Many other residents parents and carers are around and you geninuinly get a warm caring feel of the place. During the last few days of my brother's life, the nurses and carers truely turned into Angels and they showed dignity and respect to both my brother and his family and we will never forget the kindness of Beachers Hall.

How likely would you be to recommend Beacher Hall Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Beacher Hall Care Home responded to this review on 20 Jan 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. Please accept our condolences. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The nursing home is very helpful and supportive. The staff are looking after the residents properly and fulfilling their requirements. The nursing home is full of helpful staff and also with a super duper physiotherapist who helps with the residents on our improvements and rehabilitation. The physio team dedicates their best for me and my needs. Without physio, I would not be able to recover like I am recovering now, all thanks to physio.

How likely would you be to recommend Beacher Hall Care Home? Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Beacher Hall Care Home responded to this review on 26 Nov 2016:

My 52-year-old daughter, a long term sufferer of multiple sclerosis is wonderfully well cared for by the teams at Beacher Hall Care Home. It is of tremendous importance to my well being and health and that of her three children- all adult now, that she is so well cared for. I would recommend Beacher Hall Care Home as the best option for any family with a relative or friend who needs professional care. The client receives a better quality of life than can usually be provided at home.

How likely would you be to recommend Beacher Hall Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Beacher Hall Care Home responded to this review on 30 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Beacher Hall is an excellent run care home and the care I am given is amazing from the care staff and activities team. The physio team works so hard to get us back on our feet and they are a dedicated team and we are very lucky to have them here working here with us. The kitchen staff give us wonderful home made food which is to die for and when we have visitors to the home I always give them a glowing report about the home. I am very lucky to be here and to be looked after so well by every member of staff.

In all, it is a fabulous care home to be in.

How likely would you be to recommend Beacher Hall Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Beacher Hall Care Home responded to this review on 11 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

I would like to say that they (the staff) provide the ultimate in service. I'm always treated with the utmost respect. I'm particularly fond of my physiotherapy team. They work very well together as a team. Thanks particularly to a certain few. The physio team fill me with motivation and they do a tremendous amount work for everyone here. The home is a happy place which I'm proud to be a resident of and a member of the resident's committee. I've made a lot of good friends here. It's truly a wonderful place to be. The staff always respect my privacy and my mood swings. They make me laugh and bring happiness to my life. Also I would like to mention the Activities team for making my life happy and vibrant.
Overall I'm impressed with the service and I recommend it to anyone who's physical needs require such a place.

How likely would you be to recommend Beacher Hall Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily WIlson, Customer Service Administrator at Beacher Hall Care Home responded to this review on 28 Jul 2016:

My son is always clean shaven and spotless, totally different to when he was in hospital. Thank you.

Submit a Review for Beacher Hall Care Home

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Beacher Hall Care Home