Larkland House Care Centre

London Road, Ascot SL5 7EG

Larkland House Care Home, near Ascot, offers a comfortable environment with scenic surroundings to elderly residents with a number of personal care needs.

While being skilled in nursing care, the team also offer a valuable respite service to the local community which adds to the social atmosphere of the home with visitors always made to feel welcome.

Many activities are available for residents to enjoy, with other events occurring throughout the calendar, including fireworks displays and summer barbecues.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Shawndell Barker (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Windsor and Maidenhead Royal Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 55 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Substance Misuse • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Larkland House Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for Larkland House Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Larkland House Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.445 for Larkland House Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (105 Excellents x 5) + (28 Goods x 4) + (30 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 164 Ratings = 4.445

The 4.727 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Larkland House Care Centre is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11 positive Reviews (55 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 11 Target = 0.727

9.2 Larkland House Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.2 (9.172) from 14 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Larkland House Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Larkland House Care Centre

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

I find carers are very comforting and caring to all residents. Activities are plentiful with expert care from activity staff. The home is very clean and everyone is only too pleased to help with anything. I would recommend this home, definitely.

How likely would you be to recommend Larkland House Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I find it difficult to keep finding nice things to say about Larkland House without repeating myself. The best way to say it is the proof is in the end result. In my wife's case, she will have been in the care home for 4 years in February. When I brought my wife into this care home, I thought I was going to lose her. As it is, she has put on weight and is much happier.

How likely would you be to recommend Larkland House Care Centre? Likely

As you can see the care that my mother has received has been of the highest order.
All the staff are extremely caring and always concerned for her welfare.
Nothing is too much trouble for them.
It is a great comfort to know that she is being looked after so well.

I can't thank Larkland staff enough for the excellent care they give my mother. They allow me to breathe a sigh of relief as I know she is in good hands. The staff are caring, friendly and very polite when dealing with my mother and they know her mood issues well.
Larkland retains their staff and it's great to see familiar faces when I visit. My mother is clean and dressed, her room and bathroom spotless, food is excellent, and someone is always popping in to see if she wants anything.
If she's not well, I'm always informed by the staff with follow-ups from the GP. Larkland has many activities but my mother, unfortunately, chooses not to partake. I am grateful at having discovered Larkland which came first after visiting 5 facilities last year. Other family members who visit are always commenting on the good care she is receiving.

Since my husband has been in here he has really got a lot better.
The staff are really caring, also nothing is too much trouble for them and his appetite has come back as the food is very nice.

We have always found Larkland very satisfactory but as the floor is getting more difficult with the range of residents and their needs and behaviour becoming more of an issue.
The staff numbers are often inadequate which is very concerning.
The regular staff, however, are excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Larkland House Care Centre? Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Larkland House Care Centre responded to this review on 22 Nov 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and we were very pleased to hear your good scores and comments, particularly for the team at Larkland House. I understand that the home manager has been in contact and has hopefully been able to allay your concerns regarding staffing levels, but please rest assured that we always make sure that we have enough team members on hand at all times to ensure that the home is safe and that residents are well cared for, including during the night and at weekends. There are occasions, for example, to cover holidays, staff illness, or whilst we are recruiting, where we do have to utilise agency staff, but we always try to keep this to a minimum. We currently do have a small number of vacancies for team members at the home and are actively looking to fill these roles, and in the meantime where we are using agency staff, we are making sure we book individuals that we have already used in the home so that residents already know and are happy with them. In terms of changing behaviours and needs, we do review care on an ongoing basis for all residents and adjust support where this is needed. Thank you again for taking the time to review Larkland House, and of course please do let the home manager know if you have any comments, questions or feedback now or at any time in the future and we’ll be happy to help.

I find the carers and activity ladies very loving, caring and understanding. A birthday party was held for my Mum and shared it with family and residents. All the staff were exceptional with a lovely spread. Everything went very smoothly with help from all the staff. A big thank you and your efficiency is always going on.

Generally, overall review is satisfactory.
Laundry appears to be an issue i.e items don't get back to my mum's wardrobe. Every garment has been named tagged as previously advised.
Short staffed ( activity staff) now done to two and only one person Mondays and Fridays

How likely would you be to recommend Larkland House Care Centre? Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Larkland House Care Centre responded to this review on 24 Aug 2017:

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your feedback for Larkland House. I’m very sorry to hear about some of the issues you have raised and have passed your comments onto the laundry team – however, I am pleased to say that last week we did recruit a new team member in this department and you should not have any problems in future. In regards to activities, we understand at Care UK we know how important these are to residents’ daily life in the home, helping them to stay active and engaged. We do have two activity coordinators in the home currently and I’m happy to say we are currently recruiting for an activity coordinator to cover Saturday and Sunday as well - we will, of course, let residents and their families know as soon as they are in post. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions for activities you’d like added to the weekly plans at Larkland House, of course just let us know and we will do our best to include these. Many thanks again for your testimonial, and please do let us know at any time now or in the future if you have any comments or questions and we’ll be happy to help.

Overall we are happy with the care my father receives at Larkland House. The only main problem is the lack of disabled car park bays and as an idea think some of the lawn facing the reception doors should be taken back by about 4ft so that other cars can pass when there is an ambulance or doctor taxi that often is parked outside the entrance door. On a few occasions, we have been stuck unable to get out for quite some time.

How likely would you be to recommend Larkland House Care Centre? Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Larkland House Care Centre responded to this review on 22 Nov 2016:

We’re grateful for your feedback and are delighted with the positive comments regarding the care at Larkland House. In regards to the parking at the home, we do realise that this can be difficult at busy times and, although there are further spaces to the rear of the home, that these are not disabled bays, so would not be suitable for all our visitors or residents. We are currently investigating possible solutions as to whether an additional disabled parking bay can be added to the front of the home, and as soon as we know more about this or any other developments at the home we will pass this on. Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback and kind words, and of course please do contact the home manager or any other members of the senior team at the home if there is anything else we can help with now or in the future.

Hard working friendly staff always cheery, very helpful and welcoming. Coming to Larkland to visit is always a happy experience however I do feel it is understaffed at times as the staff seem to be doing three things at once but always selflessly. The rooms seem to be clean and orderly as are the toilets etc. The food is imaginative and tasty. This is a good place.

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Larkland House Care Centre responded to this review on 19 May 2016:

We’re grateful for your feedback and are delighted with the positive comments and scores for the care and support we provide. We would also like to thank you for the constructive feedback and I understand that since submitting your review you have spoken to the home manager about how good you feel the team are at the home, which is great to hear. Recruitment is a high priority for us and we pleased to have several new team members starting very soon. Over the last 6 months there has been no use of agency staff and this has been a huge benefit to residents and their continuity of care. We hope that you feel reassured and of course do let us know if you have anything else you’d like to raise and we’ll be more than happy to help.

Staff are lovely. Entertainment is very good for the residents. Very comfortable room and always very clean and tidy.

I cannot speak highly enough of Larkland the staff are always very cheerful and helpful. I have the fact that there are activities everyday and the activity staff are so lovely, cheerful and caring with the patents, nothing too much trouble. Larkland is very clean, lovely bedrooms and what I've seen of the food it is excellent.

It's always a real pleasure to visit my aunt in Larkland House. The staff are very caring and friendly and my aunt of 96 years is very well looked after. The Activities staff go out of their way to provide all sorts of interesting entertainment from outside and my aunt loves to take part in the quizzes, arts and crafts, cooking, keep fit etc. She is now looking forward to their next trip out to lunch.

I felt there was a very happy atmosphere and I received great care. I only attended one session of the activities which I found very helpful.
I attended one Religious Service which I found very prayerful.
Thank you for all your care and concern.
I will remember you all in my prayers.

Submit a Review for Larkland House Care Centre

posted 16 May 2018

Please call us on 0134 498 9496 for current bed vacancies

December 2017

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Larkland House Care Centre