Barchester St Thomas Care Home

St Thomas Close, Basingstoke RG21 5NW

Barchester St Thomas Care Home is set in the heart of the Basingstoke community in close proximity to the town centre and within walking distance to both rail and bus links.

As you enter this home you will see a stunning Chapel dating back to 1885. This is now used for functions and is available for residents and families to use for social gatherings. Carers pride themselves in providing highly trained dementia care to residents, tailoring the care to meet their individual needs as they appreciate that no two people are the same.

The care team consists of registered general nurses, registered mental nurses and carers, who are all experienced in caring for residents with various stages of dementia. All rooms are individual and offer en-suite facilities. The home is also very fortunate to have well-established gardens with a colourful courtyard garden.

Each day there is a full activities programme facilitated by a dedicated activities team. Activities are arranged to suit the interests of residents and can vary from group to individual programmes. The home also has its own minibus which enables the team to arrange regular trips out for residents.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Helena Hawkins (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hampshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 72 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Filipino, Greek, Modern, French, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Nepali, Romanian

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester St Thomas Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Barchester St Thomas Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester St Thomas Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.547 for Barchester St Thomas Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (133 Excellents x 5) + (65 Goods x 4) + (16 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 214 Ratings = 4.547

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester St Thomas Care Home is based on 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14.4 positive Reviews (72 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 15 Reviews ÷ 14.4 Target Reached = 1

9.5 Barchester St Thomas Care Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.547) from 18 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester St Thomas Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester St Thomas Care Home

The home has a welcoming atmosphere. Staff are generally courteous, considerate and friendly in their observed interactions with residents and visitors alike. They treat my mother with respect for her dignity and privacy. The staff know my mother by name and when we walk in will immediately tell us where she is before we can ask e.g "She's in the garden". We like being able to make ourselves a cup of tea/coffee at will and enjoy the excellent cakes made in the kitchen.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester St Thomas Care Home? Extremely Likely

Helena Hawkins, General Manager at Barchester St Thomas Care Home responded to this review on 05 May 2018:

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Your kind comments will be passed on to the team.

I really don't know how the staff coped with my husband today as he was in a funny mood. He has only been here for nearly three weeks but in that time the staff have been fantastic to him. He found his stay in hospital something he couldn't cope with but since he has been here he has settled better despite the occasional outburst he really is a different person.

Helena Hawkins, General Manager at Barchester St Thomas Care Home responded to this review on 18 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your comments. We are thrilled that your husband has settled so well at St Thomas and that you can spend quality time with him. Your feedback is very important to us

My sister has been a resident for almost 5 years and in that time we have always found the care home to progressively improve. The staff are possibly your greatest asset. Their friendly ways and despite everything they have to do they manage to find time to assist when asked. I hope that if I need a care home in the future I will be treated in the same way. Thank you for all you do.

St Thomas strives to continually improve our service for our residents and feedback is always appreciated. I will ensure your kind comments are passed onto the staff. Many thanks for taking the time to submit this review.

We were made so welcome as we first arrived. The staff were such happy people, I would be happy to stay here if I needed to when I can no longer stay in my own house.
I would recommend it to anyone. I can't say enough good things. The chapel is a lovely quiet place to sit and be calm.

My lovely partner is very happy here, everyone has been so very caring, warm and happy. It's made a very difficult time so easy and I know he is safe whilst I'm at work. I can come and see him whenever I want and I always receive a warm welcome. Thank you.

Dad's only been here a few days and already he feels very welcome and at home and the staff are so friendly with him and completely understand his needs.
Extremely clean and homely. Totally perfect.

I am very happy with care my father receives. His medical care is very good. My father appears to be happy and content.

We wish we could give my Dad personal care 24 hours a day ourselves, but we can't. This is as good a substitute as we are likely to find anywhere. The staff do an excellent job on the whole, in difficult situations and are genuinely caring. Considering my Dad is not the only one they are preoccupied with, as we are, I think they are to be commended. Occasionally we find fault, as is only to be expected, but on the whole, I only have praise.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester St Thomas Care Home? Likely

Mum moved into St Thomas Care Home and has settled in really well. Carers are lovely and attentive. Mum did have a fall in the garden and was left for up to 30 minutes but they acted on their mistake and all is fine.

My husband is very well looked after here. Staff are always kind and helpful. I am very happy with his care.

I find my wife is being well cared for. She is apparently quite chatty with the staff, but I don't think she talks to the other residents, but I don't see her all day. She does seem to lose her footwear a lot. She does thankfully remember me and our son and daughter, even their dog. When I saw her today, she was lucid but a little tired. I am still concerned about her drooping posture. She is as well as can be expected.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester St Thomas Care Home? Likely

The home is not ultra modern, but it has a friendly, homely feel to it. My sister seems to enjoy her meals and gets good support from staff. Also, there is a good rapport between her and staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester St Thomas Care Home? Likely

The staff look after my husband very well if something happens to him like a fall or he has knocked himself etc, the home contact me immediately. The food is a little bit samey but it is wholesome and my husband eats well. The management is always looking for ways to improve the home. At all times the staff and management are happy to hear any concerns I have.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester St Thomas Care Home? Likely

St Thomas Care Home is a well run nursing home with lots of friendly staff who take a care in their work. With most of them going beyond the call of duty. The residents are well looked after and it's a far better nursing home than most in the local area.

Laura Linwood, General Manager at Barchester St Thomas Care Home responded to this review on 20 Sep 2017:

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this review. I will share your kind words with my team who will be so pleased. We will continue to value and act on any feedback received and make improvements where needed.

Since the new manager has taken over the change is very noticeable. The home looks cleaner, tidier and great notice boards. Carers seem happier. Mum's care is better overall, meals are great, Mum loves them. Carers are eager to help. I feel listened to if any problems occur.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester St Thomas Care Home? Likely

Thank you for taking the time to review us - we will continue to improve things and really appreciate your feedback.

My sister has been at the home for 3 years. The staff are always kind and caring and patient. The new manager is always there to talk to and has really made a difference to the home. It looks and smells much better.

We visited many homes in the area before choosing St Thomas. We did so because from the minute we walked into the lovely old building, we were welcomed by everyone we came into contact with - the managers, nurses, cleaners, everyone. It has a lovely calm and relaxing atmosphere and nothing is ever too much trouble for the staff. Our uncle is well looked after and constantly entertained. He has made many new friends and we feel relieved he is happy and content. The food, since the new head chef has started work has improved significantly and on many occasions, we have chosen to eat at the home and have been made to feel welcome when we have. One of the very few criticisms we do have is that the carpets in his room and in many other areas could do with replacing. They are clean but have seen better days.

We were always impressed with the level of quality and care and very few occasions to raise any concerns. When we did, they were listened to and dealt with quickly and appropriately. Wonderful staff and we are very appreciative of the care and support given. Exceptional care at a very sad time.

Submit a Review for Barchester St Thomas Care Home

posted 09 May 2018

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

Helena

Helena Hawkins

Joined: 2018

I have been managing care homes since 1999, and joined St Thomas in February 2018. St Thomas is a unique home with the beautiful Chapel and central garden.
My focus is to work with the Care Team to provide the best quality of life for our residents

Kathryn

Kathryn Hughes

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2016

Kathryn has been working in care homes for a number of years and her role is to support the General Manager and staff in providing the best care for people living with dementia in a homely and stimulating environment

Sue

Sue Cole

Job Title: Clinical Lead

Joined: 2018

Hi. I'm Sue and have joined St Thomas as Clinical Lead. I qualified as a Registered Nurse 20 years ago and have spent the last 18 years working specifically in Care Homes.
My role is to train and support the trained nurses and care team.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester St Thomas Care Home