River Court Care Home

Explorer Drive, Watford WD18 6TQ

River Court is a purpose-built care home offering residential and nursing care to older people for short or long terms needs. Consisting of four separate units, the home has been designed to provide a safe and homely environment for people living with dementia. Palliative care, respite and convalescence care are also available.

Accommodation includes comfortable en-suite bedrooms that are fitted with a 24-hour call system, some offering views of the surrounding landscaped gardens. As well as mealtimes tailored to personal taste, there are cakes and biscuits always available alongside drinks, with any dietary requirements assessed soon after arrival.

Reminiscence sessions help clients with dementia, with more pleasing calendar additions that include social events, sing-alongs and trips to the local park and theatre.

Person in charge: Bijoy Philip (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hertfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 120 Service Users

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Punjabi Mirpuri, Spanish; Castilian, French, Italian, Panjabi, Punjabi, Swahili, Urdu

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on River Court Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for River Court Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.2 out of 5 from 32 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for River Court Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 17 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.185 for River Court Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (166 Excellents x 5) + (137 Goods x 4) + (60 Satisfactorys x 3) + (9 Poors x 2) + (6 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 378 Ratings = 4.185

The 4.708 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for River Court Care Home is based on 17 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 24 positive Reviews (120 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 17 Reviews ÷ 24 Target = 0.708

8.9 River Court Care Home has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.893) from 32 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend River Court Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to River Court Care Home

Generally speaking, I find life here in River Court, Watford so interesting. The staff is inventive, presenting the residents with a wide variety of engrossing activities within the home. For example, recently during an activities session, I made a Mothering Sunday card and gave it to another resident. I extend my gratitude to all concerned.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

River Court Home is clean and comfortable, the rooms are bright and welcoming. The staff are friendly and appear to treat the residents with kindness and respect.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

My mother is cared for in a compassionate way with lots of patience and understanding.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

My mother has been here for a short time but so far it is more than we could have hoped for. The staff are all warm, friendly and attentive. The rooms are lovely and everywhere is spotless.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

I'm happy and I quite like it in here. I like the resident and I like that I can have a conversation with them and they are in charge of their frailty.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

I do like the place. The food is not up to what we pay.
The nurses and carers are very caring and very good.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

My sister and I both find the care home very good. We do find the washing not so good especially white items, they seem to go grey very quickly. We think the food, on the whole, is very good, but it would be nice if they had some little treats, such as chocolate, sweets, crisps and chocolate biscuits. There are occasions when we visit we can see our mum hasn't had her hair combed, also they seem to put the same clothes on her, when she has many clothes to wear, but on the whole things are quite good.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 10 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Home overall. HC-One has its own unique detergent products and chemicals for washing and laundry. The supplier visited the Home to discuss products and provide adequate training to staff which will hopefully address your concern. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. Kitchen staff have been requested to increase supplies of snacks and chocolate treats in all our units. We apologise that your mother was given the same clothing to wear and looked unkempt when you visited. This has been raised with the team who will continue to monitor to ensure all our Residents are well looked after.

Newly refurbished clean and comfortable, excellent staff both admin and care teams (especially care team). Food seems ok but may change with change of ownership. Activities good but not much funding for this (I think). Overall couldn't ask for better care. My relative needs 24/7 nursing care.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

My dad is very happy here, that is all I was worried about when he came. He is looked after very well.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very happy with the care my husband is getting. All the staff very helpful. I am kept up to date with everything regarding him. All questions I ask are always answered best possible.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother is happy and settled in River Court Care Home. I find the staff helpful when I ask any questions about my mothers care. I have phoned the unit and have had good feedback from the staff when I have any concerns about her. They have often phoned back to keep me up to date on my mother.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff at the home were fantastic in every way
Kind, caring, sympathetic to my mother's needs especially towards the end.
Consideration at all times and also with my family.
The family were always welcome any time and mum was taken care of like she was their own.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother presently resides in Hampermill Unit, where we visit very frequently. I am always extremely impressed the professionalism, cheerfulness and compassion of all the caring staff and nursing staff who are inevitably confronted with all manner of situations be they ones of companionship to the ones of emergency nature. The care home was completely refurbished last year and the staff dealt with the inconveniences of this sort of operation in a very calm and controlled way. I would thoroughly recommend River Court Care Home to anyone considering either short-term or long-term care.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

At the moment there are no issues or any troubles, everything is all good and I am happy with the care.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father was in Rivercourt for only a relatively short time but the care and attention he received was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble for the any of the carers to offer help when asked. We will be forever grateful for the attention he received and hope he felt the same although suffering from Dementia. With his activeness, he had a smile on his face to the end so I'm sure he did.
The home had been refurbished when dad joined being very presentable and clean with new decor and furniture.
Our family would definitely recommend any families seeking a care home for a loved one.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 13 Dec 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

The staff at Hampermill Unit of River Court are amazing. Although my mother speaks English, her Dementia has caused her to revert to her 1st language Polish. At times her behaviour can be challenging but staff have learned key words/phrases in order to communicate with her.
My mother is treated with dignity and affection and I always have total confidence in staff's ability to care for her physically, emotionally and medically.
The managers at Hampermill are extremely efficient and communicate promptly medical or well-being concerns. Records are kept up to date.
The senior leadership team is accessible and members know each resident personally.
The open door policy operates efficiently.
The Admin Team is friendly and efficient and as 'first contact' do a brilliant job creating a welcoming atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 07 Jul 2017:

Overall my mum is well cared for, sometimes there is not enough staff per residents, as they age they obviously need more. I am there 4/5days a week and help with my mum's personal hygiene. As my mum is now 99years she needs more help doing simple things.
A refurbishment is going on at the moment, so not easy for the staff or residents as disruption to routine causes problems, but it is much needed in areas.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

Simone Berkeley, Customer Service Advisor at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 31 May 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service.

The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Very happy that Mum is safe and being cared for. The staff couldn't do more. Mum loves the food which is generally very good and there's always a cup of tea available. I take my hat off to the staff who have an unenviable job but do it with a smile on their face.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 21 Nov 2016:

My mother has now been a resident at Gade House, River Court for more than 6 months.

We are very happy with the care she is receiving from the staff at the home and her general wellbeing has improved greatly from how she was when she was first admitted.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My sister only resided at Rivercourt for approximately 2 weeks before passing away but throughout this time, I found the staff very caring, and totally devoted to their residents. Treatment to me and my family was exceptional.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 11 Oct 2016:

The home is light and bright and sunny. the lounge is well designed and staff can keep constant observation. the bedrooms are light and airy with adequate space. The staff are friendly and helpful and any issues are dealt with immediately if possible. My husband has been in the home for 4 years and they have kept him alive on many occasions. Nothing is perfect but I would recommend it very highly, especially as I visit nearly every day so is a second home for me too! The gardens are well kept and accessible and the home is easy to reach. Sometimes there does not seem to be enough staff especially at weekends and I think relatives need to constantly check on events.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staffing levels and standard seem to have declined recently. On several occasions my mother has been left in her nightie, soiled and with her teeth missing. The staff had tried to get her to change but she had refused. But they should have a plan for each resident with ways that they can use to persuade them or as I did yesterday just get a wheel chair and away you go.

JW, ME at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 12 Nov 2015:

We take all comments extremely seriously and are very disappointed to hear that you are unsatisfied with your experience of care at one of our homes. Our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We would like to contact you so that we can discuss this in more detail and investigate it fully. Please can you contact our customer services team by emailing feedback@bupa.com so that we can discuss this feedback further.

When a family finds themselves in need of a nursing home, it is a very emotional time. At the onset, I could not imaging leaving my father in anyone else's long term care. My mother felt exactly the same. Each family will have its own set of needs. River Court have exceeded our expectations. My father being a resident for almost three years. The staff are excellent and have almost become extended family and have provided the "home" that proved necessary for dad, a Parkinson's sufferer since 2002. Thank you to all involved in this care.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has resided at River Court Residential & Nursing Home for about 8 months. In this time her care has been first class. The staff are always friendly and very efficient. We, as a family are very happy with everything about this home.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father;s cousin has been a resident of River Court for six months. During this time I have noticed how kind and caring the staff have been to him, who is not always an easy man to look after. The only time things went wrong was when he was taken outside for the fete. It was a cold day, although sunny, and his wife, found him outside very cold and miserable. He was sitting in a wheelchair and wanted to be back in bed. I did not see this myself, but his wife told me about it. I like River Court and I am pleased that my father'c cousin is with you. Thank you all very much.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

River Court Care Home, Bupa Care Homes at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 27 Oct 2015:

My brother has had Parkinson's disease for close on fifteen years. He is quite happy at River Court but is now in a stage where he needs quite a lot of attention and gets rather confused. The staff look after him well and he enjoys the activities. He must like the food as he has tended to put on weight!

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

My sister has been in River Court Residential & Nursing Home for almost 3 years. We are happy with the service she and myself receive, she is well cared for and wants for nothing apart from wanting to come home (which is impossible). The staff are excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

We have no problems with River Court and were pleased to move our Uncle there. Our father has previously been at River Court and received good care up until his death.

My mum has been a resident at this home for over eight years in that time I have visited at various times and days. I have always found the home to be well staffed clean and my mum, depending on the time of day/evening up and dressed, well fed, wearing glasses and false teeth. As she was not capable of putting them on/in herself. I have to thank the caring staff, who when she recently passed they were very helpful and supportive.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care home is doing the best that it can on limited staff, but I felt that some of the communal areas were in need of a deep clean and tidy up. Some of the food (so I have been told) is sometimes tough (meat etc.) or overcooked and dry.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Unit smells of urine. Poor staffing levels, only one trained nurse on shift. Bedroom not en-suite, separate toilet only.
Staff that can only speak in broken English. No activities for fee paying residents. No interaction between staff and clients, left in chairs with no motivation.
Clothes changed only when wet. Very poor staffing levels for a unit that has 30 clients, staff overworked.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

My sister has received excellent care in the past 2½ years. Her every need has been met and when needed medical attention has been called promptly. Whenever this happens we are always informed. When visiting I find the staff friendly and approachable and their interaction with residents is understanding and compassionate. This is very re-assuring for relatives in a unit for those with dementia. They carry out a very difficult task professionally and with great care.

Submit a Review for River Court Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at River Court Care Home