River Court Care Home, Watford, Hertfordshire

River Court is a purpose built care facility offering residential and nursing care to older people for short or long terms needs. Consisting of four separate units, the home has been designed to provide a safe and homely environment for people living with dementia. Palliative care, respite and convalescence care are also available.

Accommodation includes comfortable en-suite bedrooms that are fitted with a 24-hour call system, some offering views of the surrounding landscaped gardens.

As well as mealtimes tailored to personal taste, there are cakes and biscuits always available alongside drinks, with any dietary requirements assessed soon after arrival.

Reminiscence sessions help clients with dementia, with more pleasing calendar additions that include social events, sing-alongs and trips to the local park and theatre.

Person in charge: Russell Sharp (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hertfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 120 Service Users

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Punjabi Mirpuri, Spanish; Castilian, French, Italian, Panjabi, Punjabi, Swahili, Urdu

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on River Court Care Home: click here

7.4 River Court Care Home has a Review Score of 7.4 (7.399)

The Review Score of 7.4 (maximum of 10) for River Court Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.1 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for River Court Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.3 out of 5 from 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.066 for River Court Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (88 Excellents x 5) + (68 Goods x 4) + (44 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) + (6 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 212 Ratings = 4.066

The 3.333 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for River Court Care Home is based on 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 = 3.25

2. Target of 24 positive Reviews (120 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 2 Reviews ÷ 24 Target = 0.083

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend River Court Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to River Court Care Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

The staff at Hampermill Unit of River Court are amazing. Although my mother speaks English, her Dementia has caused her to revert to her 1st language Polish. At times her behaviour can be challenging but staff have learned key words/phrases in order to communicate with her.
My mother is treated with dignity and affection and I always have total confidence in staff's ability to care for her physically, emotionally and medically.
The managers at Hampermill are extremely efficient and communicate promptly medical or well-being concerns. Records are kept up to date.
The senior leadership team is accessible and members know each resident personally.
The open door policy operates efficiently.
The Admin Team is friendly and efficient and as 'first contact' do a brilliant job creating a welcoming atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 07 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager

Overall my mum is well cared for, sometimes there is not enough staff per residents, as they age they obviously need more. I am there 4/5days a week and help with my mum's personal hygiene. As my mum is now 99years she needs more help doing simple things.
A refurbishment is going on at the moment, so not easy for the staff or residents as disruption to routine causes problems, but it is much needed in areas.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

Simone Berkeley, Customer Service Advisor at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 31 May 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service.

The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Very happy that Mum is safe and being cared for. The staff couldn't do more. Mum loves the food which is generally very good and there's always a cup of tea available. I take my hat off to the staff who have an unenviable job but do it with a smile on their face.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 21 Nov 2016:

My mother has now been a resident at Gade House, River Court for more than 6 months.

We are very happy with the care she is receiving from the staff at the home and her general wellbeing has improved greatly from how she was when she was first admitted.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My sister only resided at Rivercourt for approximately 2 weeks before passing away but throughout this time, I found the staff very caring, and totally devoted to their residents. Treatment to me and my family was exceptional.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 11 Oct 2016:

The home is light and bright and sunny. the lounge is well designed and staff can keep constant observation. the bedrooms are light and airy with adequate space. The staff are friendly and helpful and any issues are dealt with immediately if possible. My husband has been in the home for 4 years and they have kept him alive on many occasions. Nothing is perfect but I would recommend it very highly, especially as I visit nearly every day so is a second home for me too! The gardens are well kept and accessible and the home is easy to reach. Sometimes there does not seem to be enough staff especially at weekends and I think relatives need to constantly check on events.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staffing levels and standard seem to have declined recently. On several occasions my mother has been left in her nightie, soiled and with her teeth missing. The staff had tried to get her to change but she had refused. But they should have a plan for each resident with ways that they can use to persuade them or as I did yesterday just get a wheel chair and away you go.

JW, ME at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 12 Nov 2015:

We take all comments extremely seriously and are very disappointed to hear that you are unsatisfied with your experience of care at one of our homes. Our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We would like to contact you so that we can discuss this in more detail and investigate it fully. Please can you contact our customer services team by emailing feedback@bupa.com so that we can discuss this feedback further.

Sometimes mum is kept waiting for the toilet but she is bordering on obsessive about this. It is appreciated however that most of the residents in this unit need assistance. The food sometimes is not good i.e dry cakes, instant desserts. The standard of professional staff is excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

JW, Marketing Executive at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 27 Oct 2015:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service.

When a family finds themselves in need of a nursing home, it is a very emotional time. At the onset, I could not imaging leaving my father in anyone else's long term care. My mother felt exactly the same. Each family will have its own set of needs. River Court have exceeded our expectations. My father being a resident for almost three years. The staff are excellent and have almost become extended family and have provided the "home" that proved necessary for dad, a Parkinson's sufferer since 2002. Thank you to all involved in this care.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has resided at River Court Residential & Nursing Home for about 8 months. In this time her care has been first class. The staff are always friendly and very efficient. We, as a family are very happy with everything about this home.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father;s cousin has been a resident of River Court for six months. During this time I have noticed how kind and caring the staff have been to him, who is not always an easy man to look after. The only time things went wrong was when he was taken outside for the fete. It was a cold day, although sunny, and his wife, found him outside very cold and miserable. He was sitting in a wheelchair and wanted to be back in bed. I did not see this myself, but his wife told me about it. I like River Court and I am pleased that my father'c cousin is with you. Thank you all very much.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

River Court Care Home, Bupa Care Homes at River Court Care Home responded to this review on 27 Oct 2015:

My brother has had Parkinson's disease for close on fifteen years. He is quite happy at River Court but is now in a stage where he needs quite a lot of attention and gets rather confused. The staff look after him well and he enjoys the activities. He must like the food as he has tended to put on weight!

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Likely

My sister has been in River Court Residential & Nursing Home for almost 3 years. We are happy with the service she and myself receive, she is well cared for and wants for nothing apart from wanting to come home (which is impossible). The staff are excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

We have no problems with River Court and were pleased to move our Uncle there. Our father has previously been at River Court and received good care up until his death.

My mum has been a resident at this home for over eight years in that time I have visited at various times and days. I have always found the home to be well staffed clean and my mum, depending on the time of day/evening up and dressed, well fed, wearing glasses and false teeth. As she was not capable of putting them on/in herself. I have to thank the caring staff, who when she recently passed they were very helpful and supportive.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care home is doing the best that it can on limited staff, but I felt that some of the communal areas were in need of a deep clean and tidy up. Some of the food (so I have been told) is sometimes tough (meat etc.) or overcooked and dry.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Safety / Security: Poor

Unit smells of urine. Poor staffing levels, only one trained nurse on shift. Bedroom not en-suite, separate toilet only.
Staff that can only speak in broken English. No activities for fee paying residents. No interaction between staff and clients, left in chairs with no motivation.
Clothes changed only when wet. Very poor staffing levels for a unit that has 30 clients, staff overworked.

How likely would you be to recommend River Court Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Activities: Very Poor

Management: Very Poor

Rooms: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

My sister has received excellent care in the past 2½ years. Her every need has been met and when needed medical attention has been called promptly. Whenever this happens we are always informed. When visiting I find the staff friendly and approachable and their interaction with residents is understanding and compassionate. This is very re-assuring for relatives in a unit for those with dementia. They carry out a very difficult task professionally and with great care.

Submit a Review for River Court Care Home

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at River Court Care Home