Broad Oak Manor Care Home

Broak Oak Close, Arnolds Lane, Sutton-at-Hone, Dartford DA4 9HF

Broad Oak Manor provides a range of personalised residential and nursing care plans including Parkinson’s disease, as well as providing respite, palliative and convalescent care.

Well-located for local amenities and transport routes, the accommodation at Broad Oak Manor is well appointed to ensure residents feel comfort. Bedrooms have en-suites facilities, flat screen TV's and views of the gardens and surrounding countryside.

A varied food menu is available and meals can be enjoyed in a dining room, though residents can choose to eat in the privacy of their bedrooms if they choose. Snacks, lighter options and homemade cakes are available throughout the day as well as a night bite menu.

Bingo, quizzes, reminiscence sessions and arts and crafts are among the many activities that residents can choose from, and local entertainers often visit.

Person in charge: Liza Burchell (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Kent County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 42 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Parkinson's Disease

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Broad Oak Manor Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Broad Oak Manor Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Broad Oak Manor Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.371 for Broad Oak Manor Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (130 Excellents x 5) + (94 Goods x 4) + (21 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) + (4 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 251 Ratings = 4.371

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Broad Oak Manor Care Home is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.4 positive Reviews (42 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 8.4 Target Reached = 1

9.4 Broad Oak Manor Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.371) from 21 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Broad Oak Manor Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Broad Oak Manor Care Home

I find the home very friendly, kind and caring. Always treated with care and respect and dignity. Made to feel at home by everyone at Broad Oak Manor. I am able to go out with my friends and family and I don't feel like I am missing out.

How likely would you be to recommend Broad Oak Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

Natalie Krisman, Customer Services Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 09 Apr 2018:

I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying life a the homes as well as quality time with friends and family. Thank you for sharing this.

Well looked after - warm - well fed - friendly atmosphere - I feel safe. My children know I am safe and it gives them peace of mind.

I'm really glad to hear you feel comfortable and safe in our home. Thank you so much for your review.

My mother stayed here for palliative care. Whilst she sadly only stayed here for 1 month, during her stay the staff did everything in their power to make it enjoyable, comfortable and homely. It was a clean and well maintained environment. She was treated with the greatest respect and care. The nurses, carers, maintenance and catering staff were professional, friendly, compassionate and genuinely took an interest in the welfare and lives of the residents. They kept us informed of the changes in my mother's health and in her last hours provided both her and our family, with all the support we needed. They handled the situation with dignity and respect.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 09 Feb 2018:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and kind words. I hope that in time when you look back on the short time that your mother spent with us it gives you comfort knowing that she was well cared for.

On July 2017 there was an afternoon tea arranged by the activity staff. Due to the weather, it was held in the dining room and was a great success. The food was lovely and the entertainment was superb.
A good time was had by all. A big thank you to to the ladies that organised it and all the staff that helped too.

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 30 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that a good time was had by all and I hope that you enjoy things that are on offer this year.

Personally speaking, I have found all members of staff to be friendly, helpful and dedicated. The home is always inviting, clean and tidy. The room my mother has is a good size and provides her with all she needs. My mother has expressed some concern about how long it can take when needing assistance but has grown to understand that staff are extremely busy caring for all residents and not just her. An aside - they could do with more external lighting at the end of the parking area.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 02 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

My wife has had to hemorrhagic bleeds which has left her paralised on her right side and with apraxia so she has special nursing needs which are catered for very well and the carers give her a lot of attention.

How likely would you be to recommend Broad Oak Manor Care Home? Likely

Thank you for your review. It is lovely to hear your kind words about our staff and that your wife is been well cared for.

Just before my father-in-law’s terminal illness diagnosis, he needed some short-term respite. We chose Broad Oak Manor as we felt it was the best home, it’s set in peaceful surroundings and the staff were lovely.
Despite not wanting to leave his own home, our relative really took to staying there. Each room had a flat screen TV, ensuite facilities and internet connection for those with a smart phone/tablet. There’s easy access around the building and call buzzers to attract staff.
The home is clean and residents eat meals in the communal area or their own rooms, taking part in activities if wanting to.
The biggest assets are the staff who are very attentive, treating residents with dignity, care and respect and they keep residents safe. Staff always made us feel welcome and we’d recommend Broad Oak to anyone. Our loved one eventually passed away from his terminal illness and we’ve missed seeing the staff since but we hope to see them at one of their barbeque days later this year.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 14 Aug 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review, it is lovely to hear that our staff are appreciated and we hope to see you again soon.

My husband's dementia had deteriorated so the management helped to find a home more appropriate.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 27 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

I have the highest praise for the manager and all of the staff at Broad Oaks Manor; they do a wonderful job. I researched the local provision of care homes extensively to find the best place for my Mum; Broad Oaks Manor is the best by far.

Before living at Broad Oaks Manor, my Mum began to experience high anxiety; she then had a diagnosis of mild dementia. The staff are very experienced and understanding; within a few weeks of being at Broad Oaks Manor the improvement in her well-being was evident.

My Mum is now happy and well looked after at Broad Oaks Manor. There is a real community feel and, as a family, we feel welcomed at any time.

The cleanliness is excellent, as is the quality of food. The garden is absolutely beautiful and well maintained - a haven to sit out in when the weather is warm.

As a family, we feel reassured that Mum is safe and as a result, we have peace of mind.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jun 2017:

It is lovely to know that your Mum has settled in so well and to know that the family have peace of mind knowing that she is safe and looked after. Thank you for your review. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My 93-year-old mother was booked for 2 weeks respite/convalescence care here on a self-funding basis, but I moved here elsewhere after 12 days. For the most part, the nursing staff, carers and male support staff were very helpful and friendly, and to be fair, my mother (having previously lived independently) did not take to being here from the outset.
However, the W.C seat in her toilet was not properly fixed (both hinges were broken), the handles for both taps were broken, the sink basin plug did not fit, and a plastic washing up bowl was wedged into the sink presumably to stop it emptying, in all rendering the in-room washing facilities virtually unusable.
The room was not cleaned at weekends. My mother chose to have meals served in her room rather than in the ground floor dining area, in consequence of which meal times were erratic, the food was cold when it arrived and she was regularly missed from the afternoon tea round. I accept that this was the wrong type
of accommodation for my mother who required residential convalescent care rather than full-on nursing care but my impression is that the staff have too much work to do dealing with patients in far worse health than my mother, and to that extent I accept that this was the wrong type of accommodation for my mother who required residential convalescent care rather than full-on nursing care.

How likely would you be to recommend Broad Oak Manor Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service.

Broad Oak Manor is a haven of peace, calm and respect for its residents. It is beautifully situated with lovely gardens and three lounges. The resident's rooms are clean, well maintained and easily accessible. The homes main attribute, however, is its staff who without exception are caring, loving and attentive of all their residents. The care they give each of them is outstanding. All of these factors were in evidence during my mother's last days at the home. The nursing staff could not have been more sympathetic and understanding. Thank you to all at Broad Oak Manor.

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 19 Apr 2017:

Thank you for sharing your lovely review with us, we really appreciate your feedback. I am so pleased that you are happy with Broad Oak Manor, and the care and support they provided for both you and Mother. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The care home staff were kind and helpful. My mother was well cared for and comfortable in her surroundings.

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 04 Apr 2017:

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback, I am pleased that you would recommend Broad Oak Manor to others. The Bupa Customer Care Team

The standard of cleanliness together with the attentive and caring nature of all members of staff is exemplary. I am very pleased that my husband and I chose Broad Oak Manor as we have every confidence that my father is receiving excellent care and attention. I would not hesitate to recommend the home.

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 05 Apr 2017:

Thank you so much for such a lovely review, we really appreciate your feedback. I am so pleased that you are happy with Broad Oak Manor, their staff, and that you would recommend this home to others. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My wife was dying of brain tumours.
The care she received was first class - the gentle, caring staff made her final days as comfortable as possible.

Nurses are excellent so are most of the carers. Food does not always look appetising and the ensuite is too small to be usable. Carers not always available to answer calls quickly and sometimes there is a shortage of staff.

My mother has felt safe and comfortable for the last 9 months.
The rooms are nice and so are the staff. There are many activities if you want to participate and they check on my mother regularly.

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 17 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your lovely feedback. I will pass on your kind words to the home manager. Thank you again, The Bupa Customer Care Team

Pleased with the care and the amazing staff. The food could be better as the chef needs to have more responsibility over what is cooked. Residents find it difficult to find available staff to return them to their rooms when desired, this can be frustrating.

How likely would you be to recommend Broad Oak Manor Care Home? Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Broad Oak Manor Care Home responded to this review on 21 Nov 2016:

A lovely home, cosy, clean and very friendly. I would recommend this home to anyone.

During the time I visited my sister we found the care provided to my sister - excellent.
The management and staff showed compassion, love and care for the period of time she was a resident and treated her with dignity. Many of the staff made their time available throughout the day and night to keep her company when we wouldn't be there which we know she appreciated and made a difference to her quality of life.

My Father has been a resident for 2 years and we could not have wished for him to be in a more caring nurturing Home, it is like a home to home.
He is treated with respect and love by ALL the staff. They were are also very supportive to the family. Broad Oak has a happy feeling to it. Living so far a way I never worry about my Fathers care.

My father entered Broad Oak Manor in Dec 2014. My opinion of it has been nothing other that superb. My father has improve beyond my dreams and is confident and relaxed. The staff are all exceptional.

Submit a Review for Broad Oak Manor Care Home

posted 20 Apr 2018

Nursing and private residential ensuite beds available.

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Broad Oak Manor Care Home