The Julie Richardson Nursing Home, Banbury, Oxfordshire

The Julie Richardson Nursing Home helps vulnerable adults suffering from Dementia through challenging times of their lives, supporting quality of life as well as care that is suited to the individual.

As well as professional care, the focus is on enabling residents to enjoy a homely environment, making what they wish of their daily lifestyles, whether for permanent or part-time needs.

The specialist nursing team on-site provides high quality dementia care and is are commited to ensuring that care is person centred, meeting both the physical and social needs of clients.

Group: Brooklands Nursing Homes

Person in charge: Jayanthi Antony (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Oxfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 40 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Autism/ASD • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: (These prices are only a guideline, please contact The Julie Richardson Nursing Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.) Nursing Care Single from £925 , Nursing Care Shared (per person) from £875 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact The Julie Richardson Nursing Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

The parking for the nursing home can be accessed from the rear of the building on St John's Road

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Julie Richardson Nursing Home: click here

9.2 The Julie Richardson Nursing Home has a Review Score of 9.2 (9.238)

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for The Julie Richardson Nursing Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 22 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Julie Richardson Nursing Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.488 for The Julie Richardson Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (151 Excellents x 5) + (90 Goods x 4) + (14 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 260 Ratings = 4.488

The 4.75 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Julie Richardson Nursing Home is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8 positive Reviews (40 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 8 Target = 0.750

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Julie Richardson Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Julie Richardson Nursing Home

I am very pleased with the care my wife receives at the care home. I call to see her most days. If I don't visit, I ring her up.
She is happy at the home. She is treated well and with respect. She likes the food that is served. I would recommend the Julie Richardson Nursing Home to anybody.

How likely would you be to recommend The Julie Richardson Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Very good.

I just feel I should say that my dad was in a care home just outside Banbury before he died and there is no way that dad was looked after or treated as well as mom is now. The staff are all brilliant, they look after mom really well and you can look forward to a smile and very friendly chat when visiting. When calling the home this morning, I thought just how well mom looked. A great home with great people. A care home to look forward to. (Book me a bed)!

I visit once a week different days. The home is always nice and clean and I find standards high. Staff are extremely pleasant and the standards again high. My husband is well cared for and I would say in his own little world very happy. Thank you to the manager for very well trained staff.

These comments reflect non-scheduled visits over the past year. The nursing staff are always there to provide an update on her health and well-being. They contact me immediately if there is an incident - however trivial.
Staff are always friendly and show compassion when dealing with residents. The environment is always cheerful and happy. They focus on creating interesting and entertaining activities. Outings are a frequent event.

I regularly visit my brother. I am impressed with the kind, caring attitude shown towards my brother. I feel the staff work well together and give a homely fun atmosphere. They deal professionally with sometimes challenging behaviour. I love the fact that my brother has been able to visit town, National Trust properties etc. My brother also especially enjoys visits e.g from musicians. I feel efforts are also made to treat each person as an individual.

How likely would you be to recommend The Julie Richardson Nursing Home? Likely

I think it is very friendly and homely. I find the staff extremely kind, patient and diligent in their work. I would recommend this home to family and friends without hesitation.

The Julie Richardson Nursing Home is a haven for my father. Since becoming a resident he has returned to normal eating and has gained weight and strength. Thanks to the expert and compassionate care he is receiving from all the staff he has settled in well. Knowing my father is safe and well cared for means I am able to have the peace of mind to engage more fully in my own life pursuits and relax more because the staff are so welcoming I know I can visit my father whenever I am able and enjoy quality time. All the staff are respectful of family wishes. The nursing staff are very committed and often create an atmosphere of fun and engage each resident on their own terms. All the carers are very patient and are responsive to each individual needs.

My mother died at the end of June 2016 aged 98 after three and a half years in the nursing home. Her overall mobility and ability had started to deteriorate and she needed more specialist care, which I am happy she received a this nursing home. She became bedridden and needed a specific diet, experiencing difficulty in swallowing. The staff and cook were always available to update me on her condition and I was called at home following Doctors visits. On a personal note, the proprietor and manager were with my mother as she rapidly sank into a deep sleep, and the manager was with me, as she passed away and remained after to support me. I have nothing but praise.

My mum has been in this home for 3 years and although she can be challenging, the staff are patient and kind. They treat her with dignity and respect. After a recent stay in hospital following an operation, the staff took great care in meeting her additional needs and the improvement in mum is beyond expectations.

The home is very good. My room is comfortable, clean, big, with my own bathroom. The food is excellent. The staff are excellent and help me a lot which makes me feel safe. This is the best place I have been.

I would like to say how pleased I am about my mother's care and how well she is looked after at Brooklands, Dashwood Road. The staff always seem friendly and caring and there have been numerous occasions where I have been called to say my mum has not been well and that they were getting the doctor out. It is nice to be kept informed as I love my mum dearly and it is very important to myself that she is happy and cared for. I feel confident that this is being carried out at Brooklands and I would not hesitate in recommending Brooklands to anyone who is thinking about where to send their loved ones for permanent care.

Thank you Brooklands from myself and the rest of my family for all you do for caring for my mum.

My aunt has been treated with respect and consideration even when she is being extremely difficult. They get her to co-operate with having a much needed, very overdue eye test, work to heal a serious bed sore she had before she spent several months in hospital. Arranged an assessment, which the hospital failed to do, on her metal health. The staff involve me and keep me informed at all levels of her care.

Mum has dementia and is confined to a wheelchair. Her dementia means she is unable to tell my sister and myself how she is cared for. However we share visiting every day and therefore have a good idea. I am very happy with the care and attention mum receives. I am kept informed about mums health, any problems, how they are dealt with and any preventative measures put in place. All staff whether nurses, in charge of a activities, cooks, cleaners etc are extremely competent and friendly. Daily activities are provided and judging by the photo's and staff comments mum enjoys these.
Value for Money - two years ago when mum became a resident the council paid £560/week when the owner realised mum had a house to sell the price went immediately up to £800/week. Only a few weeks ago in a news paper the average price for a person with dementia was £591 - £662!! Council have value for money we don't.

Value for Money: Poor

Charles Taylor, Operations Manager at The Julie Richardson Nursing Home responded to this review on 03 Nov 2015:

Dear Sir,
We would like to thank you for the comments regarding the quality of care received by your mother. In response to your query regarding the funding levels within our care home we would like to point out that the average price quoted £591-£662 is a national average that includes both residential and nursing homes and that prices vary dramatically depending on where a care home is based. The average cost for a privately funded bed in Oxfordshire for example is around £1,100 per week and we therefore believe that our prices are extremely competitive. In addition all prices paid are dependent on the individual that we care for, those who require additional assistance will be charged more, whilst those that require less assistance will be charged less.
In addition as mentioned in your other comments we provide a high quality of care in our nursing home and there is a cost associated with this. We were recently rated as “good” by the CQC and this rating makes our care home one of the top ten across Oxfordshire. We hope that this responds to your concerns however if you would like to discuss this in more detail we would be happy to do so.
We are unable to comment publicly on individual funding arrangements, however are happy to discuss this with any family members that wish to. Some of the comments received relate to the council funding levels. The council has for many years used its monopsonistic position to force low prices on care homes. These fees are not adequate to cover the costs incurred by care homes and take little account of the quality of care provided or the needs of the individual. We would also like to point out that the council target banding rates are targets that they aim for and that the average fee paid to a care home by Oxfordshire county council is significantly higher than this.
Yours Sincerely
Charles Taylor

Mum has been at the home for the past two years. She has dementia and I confined to a wheelchair and my brother or myself visit her each day. All the staff from nurses and carers to helpers and cleaners have all been most competent and very friendly to mum and to myself and brother. While I have no experience of any other homes, after reading a newspaper article stating that the average cost of a place in a home for dementia patients is £591 - £662 per week, I wonder what extras our £800 per week pays for.

Value for Money: Poor

Dear Sir,
Yours Sincerely
Charles Taylor

I have lived here for nine months. The staff are all wonderful. I have a lovely single room. No place like home but I am very happy here. The food is very good and the service is perfect.

From the moment you walk into Julie Richardson home you know the staff care. There is a happy and relaxed atmosphere, nothing is too much trouble for them, they make you feel welcome and most of all the residents are content. All the staff are kind, caring and respectful of the residents and their families. They have many challenges on daily basis and all cope in a positive and dignified manner. Medical, dental and optical issues need to be addressed far more quickly and before they manifest themselves into serious problems. Lost or broken glasses and teeth bacterial skin infections.

This care home are really caring to my husband. Staff seems well trained, honest and if I ask questions I get an informative answer and they are so helpful. Having to travel Oxford to Banbury twice a week and it's worth it. To walk in and find him in clean clothes and looking clean and smart and very happy in his little world. I feel pleased to know he is in a pleasant environment and such nice caring nursing staff.

Mother is in dementia unit with others with varying degrees of dementia. This can be challenging at times, but it is managed very well. Some can feed themselves other's can't. Mother is always clean and tidy and all are treated with dignity.

How likely would you be to recommend The Julie Richardson Nursing Home? Likely

Whilst visiting my friend in your establishment he needed to go to the toilet and got into a lot of distress as he had to wait nearly ten minutes due to not enough staff on duty.

How likely would you be to recommend The Julie Richardson Nursing Home? Unlikely

Care / Support: Poor

Treated with Dignity: Poor

Management: Poor

Mum was put in the Julie Richardson Nursing Home when my dad died, as she was not safe to be alone. She enjoys the company of the other residents and seems very happy in herself. She walks constantly and very rarely sits still. Due to the way the home is set up she never meets a closed door, so can walk round and around all day long. The home has a personal and homely feel, always displaying items relating to one season, celebration. There are teddies and dollies around, which definitely bring comfort to my mum. The staff are always friendly, chatty and helpful.

From the first time I visited The Julie Richardson Nursing Home. I had a feeling of warmth and caring. My husband has been in care there for nearly two years. I visit everyday and I still have that same feeling, the staff treat the residents with dignity and care. Some go the extra mile. Office staff are extremely helpful in as much if you have a worry relating to your husband, you are asked to please tell them so as they can try to rectify it. They are quick to call the doctor. If they are concerned about a resident, I would and have recommended the home. Home is the key word to the residents.

Submit a Review for The Julie Richardson Nursing Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for The Julie Richardson Nursing Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Julie Richardson Nursing Home