The Polegate Care Home, Polegate, East Sussex

Specialising in care for older people, The Polegate is purpose-built and well equipped with modern facilities to ensure a high level of care can be provided. It offers palliative, convalescence, respite and Parkinson’s disease care.

Accommodation at The Polegate include bright and comfortable ensuite bedrooms and communal rooms, while outside offers a choice of well kept gardens and patio areas where residents can relax in the warmer months.

Mealtimes are an important part of the day for residents, who can expect a freshly prepared range of meals. Morning and afternoon tea is served every day and is accompanied by a selection of snacks and homemade cakes.

A full range of activities is available including gentle exercise, arts and crafts, and board games. Trips to the seaside and local pubs are frequently organised.

Person in charge: Patti Vogan (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 44 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): French, Polish, Romanian, Tagalog

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Polegate Care Home: click here

9.6 The Polegate Care Home has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.582)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for The Polegate Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 24 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Polegate Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.582 for The Polegate Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (182 Excellents x 5) + (83 Goods x 4) + (16 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 282 Ratings = 4.582

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Polegate Care Home is based on 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.8 positive Reviews (44 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 13 Reviews ÷ 8.8 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Polegate Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Polegate Care Home

Very happy and supportive home.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 17 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

I have been here for rehabilitation after fracturing my femur. I have found the staff kind and caring and cheerful, which does help.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 16 Nov 2017:

The level of care provided within the home is outstanding, from general care and 1 to 1 interaction with my grandmother. I have found occasions when my grandmother has felt stressed and care staff have calmed her down. Simple things like stroking her hair and talking to her. Or, if I found Nan uncomfortable in her bed, the care staff are very responsible in making her comfortable in a safe way and bearing in mind her dignity. Overall, the home is brilliantly run, caring and person-centred. Very impressed.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 09 Oct 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind review of our home and staff. I'm so glad to hear that your grandmother is well cared for this must give you such peace of mind.

My mum received excellent care with The Polegate Care Home. The staff were friendly and patient and when it became obvious that end of life care was required they were fantastic.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 27 Sep 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

My mother's care has been good so far although there is a clear lack of staff to help straight away. This worries me as paying residents are not getting the full care they should. Ie mum is never showered, just bed washed and I go in weekly to wash her hair, cut her nails etc.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 21 Sep 2017:

I have recently arrived from South Africa to visit my mother who has been here since February this year for the purpose of rehabilitation to walk again.
I never met the physio staff but I am impressed with the staff and nurses I have met. The rooms are amazing and the food looks super. The atmosphere is cheerful and I think that is thanks to the wonderful caring staff. I would definitley recommend it.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very happy living in this home, all is good. The management is perfect, I am very happy with the activities and love it when we go out.
We enjoyed pottery and making a masterpiece.
Thank you to all staff.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 25 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so happy to hear that you are happy and enjoying the different activities and hope that you enjoy a lot more outings.

My visit today was very good. My relative was well and looked after very well also.
We had a lovely cup of tea and biscuits whilst talking to staff who were coming into the room. I was also asked if I would like some lunch as it was being served.
I came away very happy. The staff were very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 18 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your lovely feedback, we really appreciate it. I am so pleased that you were happy with how your visit went and the care home in general. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I found the staff and management friendly and helpful. My immediate family commented on how well they were kept informed of all developments in relation to my care. The none weight bearing rehabilitation team were most supportive during my stay. On many occasions, I enjoyed sitting out in the garden which was well maintained.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 28 Jun 2017:

The nursing home is very good indeed. I have enjoyed my stay here but I will be pleased when I can go home.
The staff are very helpful and I would recommend the nursing home to anyone.
The food is very good and served up very nicely.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 11 May 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us at The Polegate I will share your comments with the home manager. The Bupa Customer Care team.

We all went in a convoy of wheelchairs, with carers pushing us, up Polegate high street to the pub for lunch.
We all had a great time and a good laugh. It was so good to be able to get out for a few hours.
The carers were so wonderful, as it was hard work pushing 7 wheelchairs.
We are all looking forward to the next time.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review. So glad to hear that you all had a great time when you went for lunch, hope it isn't to long before you go again. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I have enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to anyone who may need it in the future. I found the staff helpful and pleasant to get on with. We had a lovely day out to some pottery place and enjoyed every minute of it. The meals are fantastic, they are A1.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 17 Mar 2017:

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely feedback with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would recommend The Polegate to others. I will pass on your kind words to the home manager. Best wishes, The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My Mother-in-law has been looked after very well since she was transferred to Polegate care home in September 2016. The staff in all departments have been kind, concerned, caring and patient at all times to both my Mother-in-law and me.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 13 Jan 2017:

My wife's overall care is excellent and I am very pleased. The food also is excellent. The reception and welcome are good and is good value for money.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 20 Oct 2016:

Whilst general care - washing, dressing, medication, room cleaning- are fine, it's the small things that are missed- like providing a plastic cup with handles, not a nearby glass beaker for water. Ensuring the over bed table is in the right position and the things on it are within reach. Correct eating utensils, ensuring the patient is upright enough (in bed) to eat it properly/comfortably.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 03 Oct 2016:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service.

All the staff at Polegate are very lovely and kind. I enjoyed my time staying at Polegate Care Home and I am going to miss everyone at Polegate. I like to say thank you to all the staff (e.g nurses, care staff, chef, cleaner etc).

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at The Polegate Care Home responded to this review on 23 Jun 2016:

A lovely nursing home very clean and well laid out. All staff are very kind and caring and efficient, catering to residents individuals needs as much as possible e.g. washing and dressing times, bed times etc. The food menu is first class, tempting residents with their favourite food and treats. My elderly mother has swallowing difficulties so food was designed to help her and it looks appetising not just a slop on a plate. GP services are requested promptly and GP attendance is good.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

I fractured my femur in April, left in November. I cannot speak too highly of the care I received from all the staff and management. They encouraged me every step of the way from the hoist, to standing, to eventually leaving, walking out with sticks. In fact I miss everyone since I have been home.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Likely

Our mother/mother-in-law came to the Polegate Nursing Centre almost four years ago for end of life care. However, due to the first class care and kindness of the hard working staff we were able to enjoy almost four more years of our mums amazing life. The fact that we were able to take her out every Saturday afternoon up until the age of 98 was amazing. And due in no small part to the care and kindness shown by all staff at the centre.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother was only in the home for 2 weeks before going into hospital but she was treated with dignity and care for her physical disabilities at all times. She had not wanted to go into a nursing home but said that everyone was lovely to her and was as happy as she could be in spite of he fact that her health was failing quite rapidly. Our only negative comment relates to the unpleasant smell in the room from the carpet and bathroom which I was told was the result of a toilet leak. Perhaps the flooring should have been renewed. Otherwise I can't praise the staff and management enough.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have not assessed "value for money" as I have no similar experience but it is probably very acceptable.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

My personal opinion of the time my husband spent in this home was very delightful. The attention myself and my husband received from all the staff was excellent, highly recommended.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

The family are very happy with the level of care my nan receives. The staff are very friendly and answer questions promptly. Home is clean, bright and tidy. Food is delicious with a varied menu daily. Wide range of activities for the residents which helps interact overall very happy with the home.

How likely would you be to recommend The Polegate Care Home? Extremely Likely

My friend has been in the Bupa Polegate nursing home for the last 7 months and has always been treated with care and compassion. On the rare occasion that somethings has gone wrong it is sorted out immediately.

Safety / Security: Poor

Submit a Review for The Polegate Care Home

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Polegate Care Home