Chilton Meadows Care Home

Union Road, Onehouse, Stowmarket IP14 1HL

Chilton Meadows is a bright, spacious home, situated in a rural location on the edge of the historic market town of Stowmarket. It offers residential, nursing and dementia care. We can also offer a space for people to rest, relax and recover with our short stays too. Our short stays can be booked in advance of your stay, get in touch for more information.

At Chilton Meadows, staff take great care to focus on the person. It’s important for residents to feel at home, so we create a friendly environment with an individually appropriate balance of care and independence.

Enjoying food is an important part of life. The chefs create well-crafted menus made with the freshest ingredients. Soon after a resident arrives at Chilton Meadows, staff discuss their personal preferences and dietary needs with them.

There’s a real sense of community at Chilton Meadows. The staff work to discover what residents enjoy doing and the home's social calendar is organised around those interests. So whether your loved one already has a hobby or would like to take up a new one, there’s lots of exciting activities to get involved in.

Staff love getting to know residents and there’s never a dull moment. The care home puts on lots of activities that everyone can join in with if wish and the activities are just as much fun for staff as it is for residents.

Person in charge: Agnieszka McDonald (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Suffolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 120 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Czech, Finnish, Hindi, Polish, Urdu

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Chilton Meadows Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Chilton Meadows Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 12 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Chilton Meadows Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.42 for Chilton Meadows Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (85 Excellents x 5) + (41 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) + (8 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 143 Ratings = 4.42

The 4.458 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Chilton Meadows Care Home is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 24 positive Reviews (120 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 24 Target = 0.458

8.9 Chilton Meadows Care Home has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.878) from 12 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Chilton Meadows Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Chilton Meadows Care Home

• Grandson of Resident/Service User
  • Son-in-law of Resident/Service User
  • Stepdaughter of Resident/Service User

As my wife has only been a resident of Chiltern Meadows since February, it seemed a daunting experience at the start. However, I am glad to say that she has gradually got used to the situation and she has now settled and the staff, in my eyes, do all they can for her. At times, perhaps they are hard-pressed to deal with all the demands put upon them but I can see that they do their best. Also, there seems to be a pleasing attitude towards all the patients from the staff and nothing seems too much trouble and they have some pressing demands too. However, I am glad to think that my wife is in a situation where she is getting the best possible attention. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Chilton Meadows Care Home? Likely

Gabriella Mills, Customer Advisor at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 23 May 2018:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that your wife has managed to settle into our care home. We appreciate your comments of our staff at Chiltern Meadows and will share your feedback with the home's manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My grandmother continues to receive a high quality of care. If things do not always go to plan, there is always someone available to explain and reassure.

How likely would you be to recommend Chilton Meadows Care Home? Likely

Gabriella Mills, Customer Advisor at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 18 May 2018:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that your Grandmother is having a positive experience in our care home and that you are content with the care given. We will share your comments with the home's manager. The Bupa Customer Care Services.

Beech House at Chilton Meadows exceeds all expectations. All the staff are so caring, friendly and efficient whilst maintaining professionalism. They are treating my mum with dignity and respect. We were very apprehensive about putting Mum into care but her illness gave us no other choice. We are so glad we chose Chilton Meadows and each time we leave mum we are assured she is in safe, caring hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Chilton Meadows Care Home? Extremely Likely

Natalie Krisman, Customer Services Administrator at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 11 Apr 2018:

Thank you for posting your review about Bupa's Chilton Meadows and I'm so pleased to hear that you're happy with your choice and the care at the home.

My stepdad had spent several years at a private nursing home which has gone downhill over the years. Due to financial restrictions/affordability, my Mum had to move my stepdad but then was psychologically bullied by the owner of the other private home when she chose to move him. I am a nurse myself and in the NHS he would have been disciplined.

I noticed a difference straight away. Chiltern Meadow is unlike the other. It includes qualified nurses, the standard of care they can give is superior as they have more medical knowledge and they are clinically professional. That makes a big difference. I don't understand why the CQC says requires improvement? In my experience, both personally and professionally, Chiltern Meadows is outstanding.
My mum was given choices as to his room which is near the day room as my stepdad needs total nursing care and so he is less isolated than in the previous care home.

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 31 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review and kind words. I hope that your stepdad is now happy and that you and your family have peace of mind knowing that he is safe and well cared for.

A very friendly, easy and warm atmosphere.
All staff very welcoming and friendly and helpful.
The activities provided are really good, nothing was too much trouble.
My mum loved it here and soon made it her home.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 04 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

My wife is cared for very well and looked after well. The place is lovely and clean and staff are excellent.

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 28 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your review. It is lovely to hear that your wife is so well cared for and your kind words about our staff. Thank you.

I find the staff in Beech House dedicated and hard working. Our mum has improved in her health in the 2 years she has been here in lots of ways and especially enjoys anything musical. Obviously, dementia is worse but that is to be expected. Staff are friendly and helpful. I admire them for the work they do. Any health issues eg chest infections are dealt with quickly.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 21 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that your mum's health has improved while in our care. It is lovely to know that she is enjoying the musical activities. I hope that you have peace of mind knowing that she is well cared for.

When my mother went into a care home in May 2013 the care was adequate for her needs. Over the past 18 months, even the basic care that she is getting and what she pays for is not adequate. I feel she, as many other residents, should get a reduction in what they pay for. I do realise they have staffing issues and they are doing the best that they can and I am sure I am not the only relative that has these concerns for their loved ones.

How likely would you be to recommend Chilton Meadows Care Home? Unlikely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 07 Nov 2017:

We take all comments extremely seriously and are very disappointed to hear that you are unsatisfied with your experience of care at one of our homes. Our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We would like to contact you so that we can discuss this in more detail and investigate it fully. Please can you contact our customer services team by emailing feedback@bupa.com so that we can discuss this feedback further?

My mum was in Chilton Meadows for 2 years. In my experience, she was well cared for. She was always clean and tidy. There were days when she didn't' want to get up or go to the day room, but was kept an eye on. They persevered and many times managed to get her to join the others.

How likely would you be to recommend Chilton Meadows Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 17 Oct 2017:

My mother was in Chilton Meadows for about 18 months. She was very well cared for. She was taken ill at Easter 2017. The care and attention shown to her and myself in her last weeks by the staff there was excellent.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 16 Oct 2017:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

My dearest mum was a resident for four years until her passing. She was well looked after by all the staff, they were fantastic. She loved them all dearly. My sisters, brother and I were so grateful that she was so contented in her final years.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 25 Sep 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. It is so nice to hear that your mum was well cared for and that she loved all the staff dearly. I hope that this will give you comfort in the future.

Due to certain health problems, resident was not always easy to deal with and could be stubborn and uncooperative. On my once-weekly visit to the resident, I admired the sensitive and gentle way all staff members dealt with the resident, always showing great caring and patience.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Chilton Meadows Care Home responded to this review on 21 Sep 2017:

Submit a Review for Chilton Meadows Care Home

posted 20 May 2018

The home is able to offer care for most needs – residential, nursing or dementia care, so it’s worth contacting the home for further information. Chilton Meadows is situated in landscaped gardens in a rural location on the edge of the historic market town of Stowmarket

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Chilton Meadows Care Home