Torrwood Care Centre

Gilbert Scott Road, South Horrington Village, Wells BA5 3FB

Torrwood care home is a modern and purpose-built facility located in Wells, Somerset, that caters for a wide range of personal care needs, ranging from nursing and respite care to care for people with dementia.

All Torrwood residents enjoy en-suite bedrooms and the use of comfortably furnished social areas, while there is also a reminiscence room and a cinema room that offer numerous hours of enjoyment and mental health benefits.

Some of the activities available to residents include arts and crafts sessions, musical events and regular outings to a popular attractions.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Local Authority / Social Services: Somerset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 82 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Torrwood Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Torrwood Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 13 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Torrwood Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.422 for Torrwood Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (81 Excellents x 5) + (57 Goods x 4) + (16 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 154 Ratings = 4.422

The 4.488 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Torrwood Care Centre is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16.4 positive Reviews (82 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 16.4 Target = 0.488

8.9 Torrwood Care Centre has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.910) from 13 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Torrwood Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Torrwood Care Centre

The staff at Torrwood are very kind and caring. My Mother had some very complex and serious health issues when she first arrived and was thought to be in a terminal state. However, the excellent nursing care has brought her back to a much healthier situation and she is happy in her in her surroundings and loves the staff. I feel well supported as a relative. If I have any issues, they are quickly and efficiently dealt with. My only issues at the moment that I am unhappy about is the 9.5% increase in rent.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Elaine Firth, Area Manager at Torrwood Care Centre responded to this review on 20 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your positive comments about Torrwood. It is always good to read positive comments about the home and that the staff are very kind and caring. I will ensure that these comments are fed back to the staff where it is always appreciated.

My mother has been a Resident at Torrwood for the last 3 years, she passed away 12th March 2018.
Mother had Vascular Dementia with additional medical issues.
All the staff, Senior to Junior were kind, caring and professional - I could not fault the attention my Mother received.
Good food, nice cosy room, plenty of activities if desired and in beautiful surroundings. Mother was very happy here.
Thank you all very much.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Beverley Davies, Home Manager at Torrwood Care Centre responded to this review on 13 Mar 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to pass your positive feedback for our Home in Wells. We truly appreciate this at what is a sad time for you and your family. It is delightful to know that the staff were able to give your Mother the best possible care over the last 3 years and that they have left you with positive memories of her stay at Torrwood.

My mother in law arrived one week ago, we were all very apprehensive about her going into a care home (even though we had visited Torrwood two weeks before). I was so impressed from the very first moment she entered Torrwood, the way she was spoken to and made welcome. We were able to have lunch with her on the first day and were thrilled to see her eating and enjoying her first meal in weeks. I can honestly say we have seen a huge improvement in her in only a few days.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Beverley Davies, Home Manager at Torrwood Care Centre responded to this review on 02 Mar 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your early experience of the welcome you received at Torrwood. It was also lovely to hear that you were able to enjoy a meal with your Mother-in-law and you would always be welcome to join her. To hear that you have already seen an improvement in her well-being shows that she is beginning to feel settled into her new way of life. I will ensure the team will receive your feedback which is always greatly appreciated.

My husband has been in Torrwood Care Centre for two years and settled quickly. I have found the staff pleasant and helpful. The atmosphere is good and communication excellent. They are aware of the residents' needs. It has helped me to make the adjustment of living without my husband. The administrative staff are welcoming and efficient in the way they deal with questions.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Likely

We feel very assured that our mother is being well looked after by caring staff.
She, by her own admission, is comfortable and happy, despite the restrictions she has due to her physical and mental issues.

Over the Christmas period, I understand a couple of the activities did not go ahead (hence the satisfactory ticked) however, she joined in and enjoyed the ones that did happen.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Beverley Davies, Home Manager at Torrwood Care Centre responded to this review on 29 Jan 2018:

Thank you for the lovely review you gave Torrwood about how your Mother is well looked after by the care team and that she is comfortable and happy. Good feedback is always appreciated and it is nice to hear that you are assured that your Mother is being well looked after.
We will ensure that these comments are shared with the team.

The food is excellent and I like the variety.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Likely

Beverley Davies, Home Manager at Torrwood Care Centre responded to this review on 27 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to note that you find the food to be excellent as we know how important this aspect of our service is. We will ensure that our catering team receive this positive feedback

It feels like home.
I am involved in my daily life and staff ask me how I want things.
Care staff are very good.
Would like more fish.
I like the music and quizzes.
The manager will come and see me if I ask.
Lovely dog.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Likely

It was delightful to see your comments regarding the home and that you feel our service at Torrwood make you feel like being at home. This is truly how we wish our residents to feel.

I have found the carers mostly kind and helpful.
Activities could be increased.
Enjoyed sitting out side weather permitting.
Comfortable lounges.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Likely

Thank you for your review. We have noted your comments show that you are generally satisfied with their service your receive and you are likely to recommend this home to others. We are happy to take on board your comments regarding the activities could be reviewed and we will take this back to the team. We are always happy to receive comments which enable us to continually improve our service.

My mother was a resident at Torrwood for almost five years. At first, she was suffering from dementia but later became physically frail and in need of nursing. Throughout her time at Torrwood her care was unfailingly kind and considerate of her best interest. The whole staff were friendly and welcoming and even in her worst moments universally patient. I could not have wished for a better place for her. She died recently and throughout her last day the staff could not have been more helpful. I cannot speak too highly of everyone concerned. Thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Beverley Davies, Home Manager at Torrwood Care Centre responded to this review on 04 Nov 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to give such positive feedback. It was heartwarming to see that your experience of our staff team and the service at Torrwood has so reassured you that your Mother was given the best possible care and support during her last precious years. We will ensure the team are given this positive praise and they will be delighted that you feel so able to recommend this home.

Happy here, I like my room and have access to the garden from my room and dining room. Staff are kind and give me small portions of meals as I hate big platefuls as this puts me off eating. I like playing games and music.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Beverley Davies, Home Manager at Torrwood Care Centre responded to this review on 19 Aug 2016:

Thank for taking the time to give us your feedback. Personal choice is so important to us so we were delighted to see that the staff at Torrwood are able to offer you meal sizes that your like to make your mealtimes more enjoyable.

Nice place to live. I like cold meals rather than hot meals and this is catered for. Caring staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your positive comments. We realise how important it is to ensure that you enjoy the catering service on offer, so it was so pleasing to see that your choices have been fulfilled.

My husband was placed in Torrwood Care Home for 2 weeks respite and I was very pleased with the care given, excellent room and cleanliness of the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Beverley Davies, Home Manager at Torrwood Care Centre responded to this review on 29 Jul 2016:

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your Husband's respite stay at Torrwood. We were delighted to see that your experience was such that you would recommend the care and support to others. We will ensure that the 'staff team are given your feedback.

Since moving to Torrwood Care Centre I have improved greatly I have found all staff to be helpful. This includes nursing staff as well.

How likely would you be to recommend Torrwood Care Centre? Likely

Beverley Davies, Home Manager at Torrwood Care Centre responded to this review on 22 Jun 2016:

We were delighted to see that you feel that you improved since receiving the care and support of our staff team at Torrwood, this is always our aim. Thank you for taking the time to give the team such positive feedback.

Submit a Review for Torrwood Care Centre

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Torrwood Care Centre