Barchester Milford House Care Home

Milford Mill Road, Milford, Salisbury SP1 1NJ

Barchester Milford House Care Home, Salisbury, Wiltshire

Milford House Care Home is a Salisbury residence originally built for the Earl of Ilchester, surrounded by scenic countryside and lovely gardens close to numerous local amenities, offering 24-hour nursing, respite, palliative and end of life care and where visitors and family members are welcome at all times.

The home has been extended and refurbished, most recently in 2016, to provide a supportive and relaxing atmosphere which maximises the charm and character of the property whilst offering modern care capabilities.

Staff members are highly-qualified and passionate about the quality of care and support offered to each resident and all departments; care, catering, domestic, laundry and activities work together to provide a friendly and homely environment that encourages each resident to pursue an active lifestyle and their own personal interests. This ethos of care is reflected by the home's recent CQC inspection, carried out in November 2017, where ratings of 'Good' were achieved across all the five key areas of inspection.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Marie-Therese Tiernan (Acting General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wiltshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 80 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester Milford House Care Home: click here

posted 12 Feb 2018

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

9.6 Barchester Milford House Care Home has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.578)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Milford House Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 34 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Milford House Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 23 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.578 for Barchester Milford House Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (241 Excellents x 5) + (133 Goods x 4) + (14 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 389 Ratings = 4.578

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Milford House Care Home is based on 23 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16 positive Reviews (80 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 23 Reviews ÷ 16 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Milford House Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Milford House Care Home

• Volunteer

Mum needed a couple of weeks convalescence after a hospital stay. Her room was immaculate, excellent ensuite, lovely dual aspect. Staff were always kind and helpful and very keen to please. Food was plentiful and of a high standard.
Cannot rate activities as Mum chose not to take part.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Milford House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Berni, Customer Relationship Manager at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 18 Jan 2018:

Thank you very much for your valued feedback, we will pass on your comments to our team. If you need our services again perhaps Mum may take part in some activities they are fantastic!

I have found my stay has suited exactly for what I needed after my knee replacement time in hospital. A beautiful room and quiet and relaxing atmosphere. All the staff are kind and helpful. A place ideal for anyone needing a comfortable and safe care home.

Thank you Patricia for your lovely comments, and we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay. we hope your valued comments assist other people looking for a good care provider. wishing you all the very best

My sister has been a resident for 15 months with dementia. Much to our relief, she has settled extremely well and we have great confidence in the care she receives. Staff are very kind and helpful.

Dear William, we are so pleased that your sister has settled well into her new home at Milford, and she will continue to enjoy the homely environment and the excellent care from our team. We will pass on your valued comments to our staff.

Milford House is a home from home. My mother is very happy here. I am very happy with her being here.

Thank you for your comments Catherine, we all want to achieve a home environment for all our residents, and we love to deliver excellent service at all times, we are so pleased your happy and so is your Mother. Will pass on your comments to all the team.

I stayed at Milford House care home as my sister was on her own. I had lost my wife earlier in the year and was also on my own. I really couldn't fault the care home at all. Clearly the management had a tight control of the operation. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful in every way.

Dear Richard, We are all truly touched by your lovely feedback, here at Milford we always aim to deliver exceptional care to all our residents and I hope your valued feedback will help others that may be looking for a care provider in the future. We will pass on your feedback to our team.

My mother's carer has made all the difference to my mother during her time at Milford House. She is very kind, and my mother describes her as 'a great comfort'. She is also really lovely with family members. I think she is a really brilliant carer. As I said, she has made all the difference to my mum.

Thank you Deborah for your lovely feedback for our carers, we strive to deliver excellent care to all our residents, and we will pass on your comments to our team. Feedback like yours is the reason why our teams work so hard to deliver exceptional care.

The quality of care is good in most cases, although that can vary, dependent on certain staff.

I have been very happy with the friendliness and support of some staff. Activities are well-run and interesting. Rooms, cleanliness and food are always good.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Milford House Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Thank you Margaret for your feedback and we always try and ensure we deliver first class care at all times, if there is anything you wish to discuss at any time please feel free to cone into the office where we will be more than happy to help further. Thank you once again

My nan spent her last year in Milford House. In this year she was the happiest in a long time so we were able to enjoy quality time together. My mum spent a week in Milford House on respite in September and loved it. All the staff are so friendly. Mum's nights were the worst for her, being a poor sleeper but staff brought her endless cups of decaf tea and chatted with her. Mum loved the varied food so much that she regained her appetite. Sadly Mum passed away in November in hospital having previously lived with dad in another care home, not of our choice. My dad moved to Milford House in December. He has improved so much since moving to Milford House, he has his sense of humour back, he loves his lovely room overlooking Salisbury Cathedral. It's lovely seeing him regain his appetite. I am so happy with Milford House, it's an amazing place and has amazing staff. I can't really thank you enough. They even look after me and make sure I'm alright!

Kelly Miller, Admin Assistant at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 08 Jan 2018:

Thank you for all your positive comments, Julie. It's lovely to hear that you & your family have been happy & well cared for here. I will pass your comments on to the rest of the Milford team.

My mother enjoys her respite care at Barchester Milford House Care Home. She tells me the staff are lovely, willing and attentive. I am confident that she is being well looked after when I leave her in their care.

Phil Chapman, General Manager at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 16 Nov 2017:

Many thanks for your kind comments. We are all glad to hear that your mother enjoys her stays at Milford House.

My mother had two stays in Milford House, both times have been really restful for her. The rooms have been lovely and fully equipped. Staff were friendly and helpful when my mother needed help.

Food was excellent and quite happy to arrange any dietary requirements.

Wouldn't hesitate to use this home again.

Phil Chapman, General Manager at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 30 Oct 2017:

Thank you for your kind comments, I am very happy that your mother has found her stays to be restful and that she has enjoyed the food so much.

We have been pleased overall with Milford House. There are things that could improve but the care can sometimes be dependent on which staff are working, which would be the same in any nursing home.

The atmosphere is very relaxed and surroundings are lovely. If you ask for anything, every body is very keen to help. The manager has an open door policy and will always be willing to talk.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Milford House Care Home? Likely

Philip Chapman, General manager at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 13 Sep 2017:

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated. If you would like to discuss them with me further please do not hesitate in giving me a call or popping in to see me.

My mother has severe dementia and I could no longer cope with her at home. She has settled into Milford House, I visit her regularly and during my visits to her and whilst walking past many other residents' rooms, I have only heard and seen kindness.

She, and others, must try the patience of staff, but they manage to care for her with patience and compassion.

Such a lovely homely care home. Everyone is so helpful and friendly and you can even help yourself to a drink and a cake.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Milford House Care Home? Likely

Philip Chapman, General Manager at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 29 Aug 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind words, I will ensure they are shared with all the staff. Please feel free to enjoy a coffee and a cake when ever you are in the area.

This is my second visit to Milford House, I came last year and enjoyed so much I came back this year.
Everyone is so helpful. Nothing is too much trouble. The ladies who run the downstairs entertainment are excellent and very helpful. I have been very happy here.

Thank you for your kind comments, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much you came back! We will keep you informed of any entertainment should you wish to join us.

A lovely homely atmosphere, staff could not be more helpful and caring.
My experience has always been a good one. Even if the staff are experiencing a busy time, they always make me feel welcome.
Professional, courteous, helpful and humorous, this applies to all staff at Milford House.

Thank you very much for your kind comments, I will ensure that they are passed on to all the staff at Milford House.

Throughout the past 4 years, my wife has been confined to bed with severe arthritis and advancing dementia. I cannot speak highly enough of the personal care and attention she has been given throughout. Milford House is both a home and every member of the team are members of a family. Nothing is too much trouble. Everyone is treated with respect and dignity. There is never a raised voice. Some of the ancillary staff- cleaners, laundry workers, gardeners are always prepared to sit and talk and enter the "looking glass world" of someone with dementia. But all the while there is expert medical oversight and instant communication with the resident's own doctor and surgery. Perhaps the most significant fact is that several members of staff have worked at Milford House for over 20 years and any new members soon learn the ethos and tradition of the past. In an ear when so much criticism is levelled at care homes it is reassuring to know there is a standard of excellence which no one can deny. I have my own name down in case I need similar care in the future!

Phil Chapman, General Manager at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jul 2017:

Many thanks for your kind comments - it will always be a pleasure to have you here as a visitor to the 'Milford family' or as a resident.

At 92, having been a recluse for fifteen years after losing my confidence because of having several falls (due to arthritis) when I was out, and more recently having developed very bad cataracts which have sapped my confidence still further, I was filled with dread at the thought of having to go into care, even temporarily, when my full-time carer (my daughter) recently became seriously ill. Although it was a major adjustment for me to make, the staff's kindness, competence and willingness to do over and above what was asked, helped me to settle in so well that now I am very sorry to be leaving, and the high quality of everything (even to the tasteful décor) has been the icing on the cake. I have been so impressed that I would not hesitate to recommend other people to come here for respite. It is so unusual to come across an organisation where it would be unfair to single out any individual for praise when all have been so worthy of it. I look forward to my next stay!

Phil Chapman, General Manager at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jul 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I will make sure that they are passed on to all of the staff. I am so glad that your experience at Milford House has been so positive and the thought of you going into care no longer fills you with dread. You are always welcome to come back to Milford may it be for future respite or to join in one of the many events that we hold throughout the year!

A warm and friendly atmosphere, combined with a kind and compassionate care in a well-maintained building set in a beautifully landscaped garden and a country setting, have all made this the perfect place for me to convalesce after a serious illness.

As a full-time carer myself my 92-year-old mother has stayed here at the same time. Despite the fact that she has been a recluse for 15 years, she has developed such a fondness for Milford House and all the staff that she will be sorry to leave, as will I.
We have been very impressed by the high standards and the attention to detail, but it is the staff who make the place so appealing: inexhaustibly polite, tirelessly cheerful, always striving to give the best possible support to residents (even short-stay ones like us) and ever ready to go the extra mile and provide that personal touch which means so much.

We have already recommended Milford House to others, and hope to return for another stay ourselves in the near future.

Phil Chapman, General Manager at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 04 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your kind comments, I will make sure these are shared with all the staff. I am glad that you and your mother have enjoyed your stay. We will ensure that you are kept up to date with events taking place at Milford House should you fancy popping in anytime.

My wife has been a resident since April 2017. I visit her at least once every day and always find that I am welcomed by the staff at all levels. This treatment makes my visit easier to bear. My wife has difficulty speaking as she has aphasia, but I believe that she likes her carers/nurses and that they are kind to her. Visitors have been impressed with what they see and the facilities she could enjoy. My only adverse comment concerns car parking. Parking space is limited and should be more easily defined. The gardens are very special to us.

Phil Chapman, General Manager at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 26 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your kind comments. It is lovely to hear that the gardens give you so much pleasure. Your observation about our parking spaces have been taken on board & we are looking into providing extra signage.

Stayed at Milford House for respite care and enjoyed my stay with the help I have here.

Always a warm welcome from the reception staff and the carers and other staff. A Pleasant homely atmosphere with no smells that unfortunately are noticeable in quite a lot of care homes. Quite a number of long serving staff which provides welcome continuity for residents and visitors. Good choice of food at all mealtimes - very pleasant restaurant with good activities/entertainment for residents. As a visitor, I am able to use the kitchen to make tea/coffee - the staff will assist and get it for me if required. Have been visiting the care home to see my cousin regularly over the last six years.

My husband had malignant terminal brain tumours and came from the hospice to Milford House for end of life care. The experience was amazing for both of us. The carers and nurses were supportive of both of us, friendly, approachable and endlessly patient. I could have my meals there and remain his wife whilst they did the caring bit. His room became our home. At a very stressful time, I could not have wished for a better place to be. He had a very peaceful death.

When needing assistance for the toilet, help response time is poor, so have been using the sleep response. Even if someone responded more quickly and prioritised problems, this would help as some people need a much quicker response time.

Phil Chapman, General Manager at Barchester Milford House Care Home responded to this review on 23 Mar 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of Milford House. We appreciate any feedback as this helps us to improve the service we deliver to those in our care. I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments in more detail, either on the phone or in person. I can be contacted on 01722 322737, alternatively, you're welcome to pop into my office for a chat.

My son is being looked after very well, we have no complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Milford House Care Home? Likely

Happy with everything and they have looked after my wife very well.

My mother's stay was excellent and she thoroughly enjoyed her stay. Care and meals are excellent.
Would highly recommend Milford House.

Barchester Milford House Care Home is a caring and understanding home. Everyone works hard, but things get pressured when there isn't enough time to complete the job. If minor issues arise, they are sorted effectively. I do not see any problems that are on-going that effect my father's care. He is comfortable and is well cared for. Staff are friendly and helpful and very welcoming.

As a daughter, I know my mother was in the best possible place with wonderful care. As a volunteer, I get to help others in the home and I too am treated very well.

My father was transferred from Salisbury District Hospital in October 2015 following frequent falls in his own home. We sadly had to make the decision to put him into a nursing home and we knew it would be difficult for him to accept. When my father was greeted by all the care and admin staff, they were warm, friendly and welcoming. The care my father has received has been excellent. All staff are very empathetic, supportive and kind to all of us. The whole team provide a very safe and happy environment for my father and I cannot fault the care he has.

The care staff and admin team could not be more helpful and supportive. It is clear they hold genuine affection for the residents even when their challenging behaviour must be trying. They are keen to involve relatives with decisions regarding care and are always friendly and professional. Areas to improve would be cleanliness of residents rooms, communication with the nursing team and visibility of management. Otherwise, a well run and caring home.

Cleanliness: Poor

I have visited Milford House over a period of eight years - and have been very impressed by the care of everyone, for residents and each other. I never feel I am visiting a "home", I feel I am welcomed home by all the staff and the residents, who are happy and so well cared for. It is where I would wish to be when I can no longer look after myself.

My husband was in this nursing home for nearly two years, I could not fault anything.

There is a lovely family atmosphere at Barchester Milford House. The team make a huge effort to provide interesting activities for the residents and the food always looks fab!

My very dear friend has been a resident here for the past year. I have been very impressed by the service and consideration of all the staff and the high standard of comfort and catering supplied. If ever I should need care I would come here.

Submit a Review for Barchester Milford House Care Home

Marie-Therese

Marie-Therese Tiernan

Job Title: Acting General Manager

Joined: 2011

I am Acting General Manager here at Milford House, I am a long standing member of staff and I'm a dual qualified Nurse in General and Mental Health disciplines and bring my broad range of experience within both the NHS and private sectors as well as my passion for elderly care into my every day work. I am committed to the delivery of holistic care and to this bring my general life skills and interests to ensure that the whole team at Milford House deliver the best quality of life for all residents.

Michelle

Michelle Lovett

Job Title: Administrator

Joined: 2008

Michelle joined Milford House in January 2008 and is responsible for all financial and administrative affairs for the home be it financial, staff legislation compliance and payroll or invoicing. She is available to answer all queries and assist residents and relatives at all times. In addition Michelle is very involved in life at Milford and her office is rarely without at least one resident enjoying a cup of tea with her!! When she is not at work she likes to spend time with her horses and dogs.

Scarlet

Scarlet Leatham

Job Title: Activities Co-Ordinator

Joined: 2012

Involved in the care sector for over 15 years, I have been the Activities Coordinator here at Milford House for over five and am passionate about creating a varied and interesting programme of group and individual activities that promote the overall well-being of residents and meet their needs and interests.

Working with the residents, my team, other care staff, families, friends and volunteers, the aim is to make Milford House a welcoming, inclusive, vibrant, fun and supportive place to live.

I am qualified to NAPA NVQ Level3 in Activity Provision and, through our membership of NAPA, committed to ensuring that best practice and the latest developments in activity provision are incorporated into our daily work.

My own particular interests are the arts, photography, craft and the outdoors and I enjoy incorporating these elements into the delivery of our activities where appropriate.

Berni

Berni Martin

Job Title: Customer Relationship Manager

Joined: 2017

In her previous life, Berni was a dancer and an illusionist and worked on cruise liners for 10 years. Now Berni's role as CRM means that she supports individual homes with events, marketing, enquiry management, training and providing general support to the in-home teams.

Hayley

Hayley Dibden

Job Title: Catering Manager

Joined: 1994

Hayley has been the Catering Manager since 2002. She holds level 3 NVQ in Patisserie and Confectionary, Kitchen Supervisory as well as Advanced Food Hygiene. Hayley’s cakes are legendary here at Milford House and are much admired at meal times and at the various activities and events that we hold here.

Her main roles are menu planning and delivering wholesome and tantalising home cooked food for our residents and their guests. Hayley and her team are proud to have been awarded 5 out of 5 stars ‘excellent’ standard food hygiene by the Environmental Health Department

Kelly

Kelly Miller

Job Title: Administration Assistant

Joined: 2006

Kelly has worked at Milford House since 2006 in a variety of roles and is now a full time member of the office team. She is a fountain of knowledge concerning all things Milford and if we don't know where to find something or what to do, she usually has the answers! When not at Milford, Kelly likes to take the odd quick trip to Spain to recharge her batteries, and her favourite Milford job is organising the Christmas party.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Milford House Care Home