Perry Locks Care Home

398 Aldridge Road, Perry Barr, Birmingham B44 8BG

Perry Locks has a range of facilities to ensure high-quality care is given to older people in a safe and supportive environment. The experienced and professional care team provide individualised, round the clock care to those who are living with dementia and to those who require palliative care. Respite and convalescence care are also available.

Consisting of four individual buildings, Perry Locks offers bright and comfortable accommodation including a pleasant conservatory and a traditional dining area. All bedrooms come with a 24-hour call system and views of the gardens and there are Wifi hotspots within the home. Residents have access to a GP, optician and a nutritionist and reminiscence sessions are also available.

The home’s dedicated chef understands the importance of healthy nutritional mealtimes for residents and works hard to create a pleasing menu.

Residents of all abilities are encouraged to participate in engaging activities that include quizzes, crafts and armchair exercises. The home has strong links with the community, with schoolchildren and theatre groups regularly performing to residents.

Person in charge: Rebecca Bristow (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Birmingham City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 128 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Tagalog

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Perry Locks Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.1 (maximum of 10) for Perry Locks Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.2 out of 5 from 38 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Perry Locks Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 23 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.185 for Perry Locks Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (215 Excellents x 5) + (127 Goods x 4) + (86 Satisfactorys x 3) + (14 Poors x 2) + (6 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 448 Ratings = 4.185

The 4.898 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Perry Locks Care Home is based on 23 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 25.6 positive Reviews (128 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 23 Reviews ÷ 25.6 Target = 0.898

9.1 Perry Locks Care Home has a Review Score of 9.1 (9.083) from 38 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Perry Locks Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Perry Locks Care Home

• Partner of Resident/Service User

I am writing on behalf of my Godmother she is not able to write at the moment but have checked answers with her and her only complaint is that is was noisy due to doors banging.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Clare Sheehan, Careline Advisor at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 04 May 2018:

Thank you for assisting your Godmother to provide this feedback which is appreciated. I am sorry to hear the environment was too noisy with regards to banging doors. Please be assured that we will be addressing this issue at future staff meetings.

All facilities were new and the room for my father was good. The staff were friendly and polite but seemed to be under pressure. Communication between the nursing home and myself was not brilliant and on 2 (maybe 3) occasions staff said they would ring me back, but didn't. I was informed promptly, however, concerning my father's visits from Perry Locks to the hospital to sort out chest infections.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Clare Sheehan, Careline Advisor at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 02 May 2018:

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you found your Father's room of a good standard and that staff were friendly and polite. We will ensure your comment regarding lack of communication is addressed at the next management meeting to prevent this from happening again. We are also happy to hear staff notified you without delay when your Father needed to transfer to hospital. We would welcome a visit if you would like to discuss these matters further.

My partner has only been in care for 6 weeks but I have been very happy with the care he has received.
The staff have been friendly and helpful.
My partner has settled in well and I am happy for him to stay at Perry Locks.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mom has been at Perry Locks for 30 months. The Bungalow has a homely, friendly atmosphere. All residents are treated as individuals and staff are knowledgeable of their personal behaviours, moods and individual needs. Staff are friendly and communicate to visitors. Personally, have good peace of mind showing that Mom is well cared for when I am not there.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

All the carers are nice and friendly but could be quicker putting residents on the toilet or commode.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 04 Apr 2018:

Many thanks for completing this review, we value all feedback we receive and take on board your comments. We are pleased to hear that you feel our staff are nice and friendly and our aim is to meet our Residents needs in a timely manner. We would like to welcome you to the Home so we can further discuss the plan of care for your relative. Once again thank you for completing this review.

I found Perry Locks a very good care home, very friendly.
My only concern was although mum is not very mobile her mental state is very good and it appeared most of the residents had dementia so she found that very difficult.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 27 Mar 2018:

We are delighted to hear that you found the care your Mother received very good and that we have succeeded in creating a friendly environment. We would like to invite you into our care home to further discuss your concerns with regards to your Mothers daily activities. We ask that you make contact with the unit manager to arrange an appointment to attend a care plan review. This will enable us to discuss any activities and hobbies your Mother may enjoy. We can then incorporate this into her daily life. Many thanks for completing this review your feedback is very much appreciated.

My mother has been in this home since December 2017 and has improved. She is eating and sleeping better. Staff are friendly and good to the residents as they sit and listen to them and encourage them to take part in the activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mum was only in Perry Locks a couple of weeks but her stay was good. She was treated with respect and the care given was excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

My husband, who suffers multi-infarct dementia, has been resident at Perry Locks since May 2016. Although able to walk when he went in, he was soon off his feet and now has to be lifted from bed to chair etc. Staff are always very kind to him and he is kept clean, tidy and shaved. He now tends to eat with his fingers and often I question the type of food given to him. Also, size of puddings and other foods. There is a lack of staff to help all residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 22 Mar 2018:

Many thanks for taking the time to complete this review of our home. We are pleased you feel our staff are kind and that your husband's personal hygiene needs are being met. Our staffing levels are monitored very closely and we continuously recruit new members of staff. We would like to welcome you to the home to take an active role in your husband's care plan review. This will enable you to share your husband's likes and dislikes with regards to meals and all aspects of his day to day life. We can then work together to ensure he receives the kindest and best possible care. Once again your feedback is appreciated.

I have found Perry Locks to be a very efficient and warm and caring home for my husband. Staff are very efficient and genuine. Excellent food.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

This was a wonderful experience and an opportunity. Just the time when my son and myself needed it most for a break in six years and during this time I was able to attend my youngest son's wedding in Poland.
My son's trial period of three days went well. He settled and fitted in the environment with the other residents and staff.
This home was convenient and near home, only seven minutes drive in the taxi.
I count this as a total blessing and I recommend this as a place where people care for the helpless with their heads, hands and heart.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

My wife was admitted for temporary respite rehabilitate after knee surgery.
She was dependant on care staff to be hoisted for toileting and full care as she was unable to weight bear.
After initial teething problems as the first night we were very pleased with care and attention she was given., The staff were very caring and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Generally, the care and support provided are good, however, we have experienced some inconsistency depending on who looks after our relative in that any changes to the daily routine have not been picked up in the handovers between carers.
We have had to address this with managers, which has then mostly been actioned.
In terms of dignity, my relative was put in netting pants for men (like boxer shorts), rather than the ladies version.
This had to be flagged with management, who apologised and sorted.
Food, drink and facilities are all good (though the food is sometimes rushed).

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 09 Mar 2018:

Many thanks for taking the time to complete this review. We are pleased that you felt our care was of a good standard. I take on board your comments with regards to communication between outgoing and incoming staff. We have implemented a communication board in each unit to avoid any further missed communications during the staff handover. I also take on board your concern with regards to your relative's undergarments and will be discussing this with my unit managers to ensure the care staff are fully aware of the correct undergarments to use for each gender. May I take this opportunity to thank you for praising our catering staff with regards to food and beverages, however, I acknowledge that meal times may appear to be rushed. My unit managers are completing dining room audits in order to improve upon the service of meals. Once again thank you for your feedback.

Carer staff work very hard. They are professional, caring and treat my mother with kindness and dignity. The housekeeping is brilliant. My mother's room and other location of the home are spotless. I am aware that the staffing level covers the criteria but we find this is to the minimum. Based on house residents medical requirements the staffing levels could be adjusted accordingly leaving less stress and strains on the care teams. Senior carers could be used accordingly for this and could give much more support and discussed when changes were made.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 27 Feb 2018:

We at Perry Locks appreciate all feedback we receive from our Residents and their loved ones and are thrilled to hear that you feel your relative is being cared for with kindness and dignity. We also take on board your comments with regards to our senior care assistants and will be discussing this as part of our on-going improvements. Our programme of activities is currently being reviewed and we hope that you will see an improvement in the future delivery, of new and improved activities. Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback.

My wife's birthday was extremely enjoyable thanks to the caring staff and nurses. Not only the decorations around her but the party atmosphere they generated along with the presentation of a birthday cake and photographs made my wife's day. As a general comment, the staff do an excellent job sometimes in difficult circumstances.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

All staff friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

I always found the staff more than accommodating. They got to know my uncle very quickly, although I must mention that his likes/dislikes with food, these were often not addressed also he was not always able to est the food placed before him as it was not cut up.

He was always clean and comfortable.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on the service provided by Perry Locks Care Home.

I am very pleased that you felt our staff were more than accommodating whilst your Uncle stayed with us.

The Staff work very hard to get to know our Residents likes and dislikes as soon as possible.

I also take on board your comments with regards to your Uncle’s meals and can assure you we will be incorporating your feedback into our next Staff meeting

We would like to thank the staff at Perry Locks for the amazing care that they showed our Dad.
He was receiving end of life care, and it was given with consideration, care, respect, and patience, both to Dad, and ourselves.
He was kept warm, spotlessly clean, and comfortable. All his needs were met in full.
Thank you so much to everyone in Calthorpe House.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

I found the staff at Brooklyn House, Perry Locks very accommodating, friendly and pleasant. If I had any questions regarding my husband, they were, where possible, able to answer them.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 14 Dec 2017:

My father was a resident at Perrywell House, Perry Locks for 20 months. I found the place to be clean, vibrant and very homely, all due to the staff that worked there. They were very helpful and cared for Dad with great pride in their job and also made friends and family welcome. The food was excellent and while Dad was able to eat, he enjoyed most of it. The staff at Perrywell are a credit to Perry Locks and I am glad my Dad spent his last year there.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 20 Sep 2017:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

My husband was in Perry Locks Care Home for just over a month in a palliative bed at Calthorpe House. He was very well looked after. The staff were lovely and did all they could to keep him comfortable.
The room was nice with a view of the garden and was kept clean. Food excellent. I am extremely happy with the care my husband received.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 05 Sep 2017:

I was very pleased with the help of all the staff and all the people who helped me and my family. Thank you very much.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 18 Aug 2017:

The whole experience was extremely poor. Residents waited hours to be taken to the toilet after requesting to go. Clothes went missing despite staff being told not to touch or wash them. Toilets close to lounge out of order for three days leaving my mother trying to walk with a Zimmer long distances.
Complaints were made to management three times but nothing ever happened. Incontinence pads were used even though not needed.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Jeanette Holding, Customer Services at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 25 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

He goes in Perry Locks for respite. He was well looked after, kept clean and comfortable, good food, and as he is bedbound was checked on regularly.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 01 Aug 2017:

Dad really enjoyed his stay here after a long spell in hospital. He stopped here for 7 weeks. The staff were lovely and really looked after him. His room was clean and he loved his food here. He enjoyed the entertainment that was put on for him. He was not looking forward to going into a care home but he was glad he did and had a good rest. Thank you, Perry Locks.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jul 2017:

On 20th March my mother was moved to Perry Locks from hospital.
I found the staff to be polite to Mom and the nursing staff were always more than happy to fetch outside medical help if it was needed, but most of the time they were able to cope with her needs themselves.
My only complaint was the food was always cold and never anything fresh.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jun 2017:

Security poor as I am able to walk in without being checked. Staff stood chatting whilst my aunt asked to go to the loo. They said they were not her carers that day! Day room/dining room not clean, with rubbish on the floor. Chairs and other equipment broken and in a dangerous condition.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Unlikely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 04 Apr 2017:

We take all comments extremely seriously and are very disappointed to hear that you are unsatisfied with your experience of care at one of our homes. Our residents’ health and wellbeing are our absolute priority. We would like to contact you so that we can discuss this in more detail and investigate it fully. Please, can you contact our customer services team by emailing feedback@bupa.com or call 0113 381 6293 so that we can discuss this feedback further? The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My mother went to Perry Locks Care Home in May 2016 and is now a permanent resident. The staff are pleasant and helpful. Mom could not walk or feed herself but the staff assisted her to walk and feed herself, I can only speak as I find. I myself get along with all staff and management. We could not have got Mom up to the standard she is now and she will be 96 on May 17th 2017. We owe a lot to Perry Locks Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 17 Mar 2017:

Thank you so much for your feedback, we really appreciate it. I am so pleased that you are happy with the home. I hope your Mother continues to make progress and has a lovely 96th birthday. I will pass on your lovely comments to the home manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Mom was admitted in EA capacity following a stay in hospital. I was reluctant to let her go to Perry Locks as I'd had a bad experience before with my dad, but it was almost a totally different place. It had been decorated with new carpets and curtains. Mom received a very warm welcome and immediately felt at ease, was given a cup of tea and something to eat. The staff were attentive and caring and all the family were made very welcome. The nursing staff and managers were approachable and helpful and guided in towards the correct agencies. The social workers were also knowledgeable and efficient and mom got a placement within 3 and a half weeks, which is how long it took to even see a Social Worker last time. We got mom a place in a home closer to me but would have been happy for her to stay as a permanent resident at Perry Locks.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I really hope your Mother settled in well and you continue to be impressed throughout her stay. I will pass your kind words onto the home manager. Best wishes, The Bupa Customer Care Team.

From the start of his respite visit husband was made to feel welcome and at home, well fed and warm the enjoyed his time at Perry Locks Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 23 Dec 2016:

My wife was in Perry Locks Care Home for only a few weeks under the Enhanced Assessment Scheme before being moved to a permanent nursing home, but she was treated with the utmost kindness and consideration the whole time she was there. The staff were invariably helpful and her trip to the hospital for a scan was organised efficiently. Overall, I am very impressed.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 08 Dec 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

My dad has been referred from the hospital to Perry Locks Care Home for respite. We were a little concerned at first when we heard about it as we know the home residents are mostly dementia patients, but to our best surprise, it was the place most suitable for my dad. Everything in there is of high standards, accommodation, facilities and staff, social workers, doctors, nurses and all other staff every single one was excellent. Thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 26 Sep 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Me and my family were happy at the way my family was treated, my wife is very hard to please but even now she said she would like to come back. She said to me the staff who looked after her were very good to her, she said the manager would come here and have a talk with myself. I think that the manager and all staff were excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jul 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Mum had a six week stay at the home and her care was satisfactory - good.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 20 Apr 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

The family were thankful for the loving care that dad received by all the staff. Dad was made welcome and fitted in very well with other residents which made us feel better as it was upsetting for the family to have dad put into care. We were also grateful that visiting time were quite open and we could come and go as early or late as we preferred.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 22 Mar 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience of our care home and greatly appreciate it, and will share your comments with the home manager. The Bupa customer Care Team.

My step-mother was placed here from Good Hope for assessment before a care home placement could be found. It was only supposed to be for a few days, but was eventually 9 weeks. Sadly, just as a placement was found my Step-mum died. I cannot speak too highly of the care she received whilst at this facility. As I am not local, I was glad she had a nice private room and company throughout the day. For years she had lived alone spending 24 hours a day in bed, with only the fleeting visits of care professionals to break up the day. Also, when she died, I was not able to get to the home for two days to collect her belongings, and when I did, the room was untouched which made me feel they were not just moving us out for the next patient. Overall, the staff were always pleasant and helpful. They also offered to send flowers to the funeral which I considered very kind.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

I feel that I needed to put my review on this site my mother was a resident in Perry Locks nursing home for 6 weeks until she passed away on January 19th. In her 6 weeks stay we couldn't fault any of the Carers, Nurses, Doctor or Manager for the treatment my mother had. Everyone was so caring and loving my mother needed a lot of care and she received this daily from all the staff. Her room was lovely and kept spotless by the cleaners. Meals were all cooked lovely and presented well. Mom never wants for anything they would get in any special request for her. The whole of the Nursing home was kept clean and always tidy. I cannot fault any of the care my mom was given. I felt I needed to give praise where praise is due. A big Thank you from me and my family too for the care loving care they always showed to us as a family. Ten out of ten from us.

How likely would you be to recommend Perry Locks Care Home? Extremely Likely

Dad was only in Perry Locks for assessment, before being moved to a permanent care home. It seemed to be understaffed, especially at weekends. It seemed to take a long time between asking to go to the toilet and actually being taken there. Dad moved to another care home. He had a stroke and passed away in December.

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Perry Locks Care Home responded to this review on 22 Apr 2016:

Submit a Review for Perry Locks Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

Rebecca

Rebecca Bristow

As a Registered Nurse Rebecca has gained many years’ experience in providing care and support for older people to enrich their lives. She is a knowledgeable and dedicated leader who is passionate about delivering the highest possible standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Rebecca has held numerous roles at Perry Locks and closely shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. She extends this caring approach to her colleagues and works closely with them to deliver care and support to Residents in a way that means they gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby schools and clubs and is always keen to include the local community in life at Perry Locks.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Rebecca said:

“The best part of my job is being able to provide support and care to people when they are at their most vulnerable.”

Outside of work, Rebecca likes to spend quality time with her family and friends and enjoys travelling.

If you would like to find out more information about Perry Locks, Rebecca has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal chat.

T 0121 356 0598
W hc-one.co.uk
E perrylocks.manager@hc-one.co.uk

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Perry Locks Care Home