Shawcross Care Home, Wigan, Greater Manchester

Shawcross Care Home is located on the edge of Ashton-in-Makerfield and is close to shops, amenities, public transport and the M6 motorway link.

This purpose built care home provides accommodation in single occupancy rooms, all of which have private toilet facilities. Shawcross features lounge and dining areas, where residents can socialise and enjoy the company of others at meal times. Traditional home cooked food using local produce is served and daily choices are available. Special diets are catered for also.

The home is visited regularly by an experienced hair stylist and a qualified chiropodist. Complementary therapies can be arranged for residents. A varied programme of activities also takes place at the home.

Group: Four Seasons Health Care

Person in charge: Peter McCarten (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 50 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Epilepsy • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Shawcross Care Home: click here

9.6 Shawcross Care Home has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.613)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Shawcross Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 42 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Shawcross Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.613 for Shawcross Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (332 Excellents x 5) + (126 Goods x 4) + (30 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 489 Ratings = 4.613

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Shawcross Care Home is based on 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10 positive Reviews (50 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 16 Reviews ÷ 10 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Shawcross Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Shawcross Care Home

• Grandson of Resident/Service User

Showers should be provided in the nursing home. The care home states they cater for people with MS but I am the only person in here with MS and there is a lack of knowledge on this condition as most of the residents here are elderly or have dementia/Alzheimer's. Many of the carers are very good and do their best but not enough carers to cope. Food is variable. I enjoy the visiting dogs and I am treated with dignity and feel safe.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Value for Money: Poor

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Shawcross Care Home responded to this review on 08 Nov 2017:

Thank you for sharing your experience at Shawcross Care Home. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your views. We have worked very hard over the past months to ensure staffing levels are maintained to ensure our residents are well looked after and safe at all times. I am pleased to confirm we have an abundance of staff within the home, resulting in zero agency staff working within the home. We have multiple shower facilities within the home which are used by residents regularly, but if you would like to discuss these facilities further we would be delighted to help even further. We are working hard to increase our awareness and knowledge of MS across the home, and have been able to provide evidence of the steps taken to ensure that care is provided at the highest standard. If there is something you would like to highlight to us, we would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. We conduct catering surveys weekly to ensure that we improve on any feedback received in relation to the food we serve in the home. We also provide bespoke meals across the home, which has proved popular with many residents in the home.

Thank you once again, we really appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments, we hope we have been able to help. If there is anything more we can do please let us know. Take care!

My mother has been a resident at Shawcross for several years and I have always felt that she has been happy and well cared for. The staff are all very kind and conscientious and have treated my mother with respect and dignity. Although my Mum's health has deteriorated over the last 18 months she continues to be well looked after, staff communicating any issues with me regularly.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Shawcross Care Home responded to this review on 19 Oct 2017:

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of Shawcross Care Home. Our residents’ wellbeing is our main priority and it is great to hear that you have been so pleased with the quality of our care provided to your mother. All of our staff are committed to providing the best possible care experience for all of our residents and it is very rewarding to have their efforts recognised. Have a fantastic day!

No complaints whatsoever, very happy with the care of my wife from all staff on the EMI Unit.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Shawcross Care Home responded to this review on 06 Oct 2017:

Thank you, Eric, for your comments about your recent experience at Shawcross Care Home. Our residents’ well-being is our main priority and it is great to hear that you were so pleased with the quality of our care. All of our staff are committed to providing the best possible care experience for all of our residents and it is very rewarding to have their efforts recognised.

No complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you, Veronica, for sharing your experience at Shawcross Care Home. We are really pleased to hear you are happy here! We love having you. Have a fantastic day!

We are continually delighted with the care that our mother/mother-in-law is receiving at Shawcross. She was living alone before moving into Shawcross. Having suffered from dementia for a while, her quality of life was gradually slipping away but I feel she has regained a lot of that under the care that she is now receiving.
There is always a smiling face popping in to check on her and having that good regular contact continually has definitely had a very positive effect on her.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Couldn't be more satisfied with Shawcross. My mother is treated with dignity and understanding by all the staff. The home is clean and fresh and the standard and choice of food is very good. I can always leave, confident in the fact that Mum is receiving the very best care available. I would definitely recommend Shawcross to anyone who has to put a parent/relative into care. Nothing needs to improve with a high standard of care every month.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in Shawcross Care Home for nearly four years. I know 24 hours a day she is in good hands, clean, safe and comfortable. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff who work hard and are always on hand. The home is welcoming, clean and well managed.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Likely

Sometimes my wife needs assistance and depending on the staff on duty this isn't always met when I am visiting. I visit during the evening and find that staff are too busy at night to put her to bed before I leave, which means I leave later than planned so I can see her comfortable.
Overall, the home is good, clean with good facilities but could benefit from more staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Likely

Charlotte Jackson, Marketing Assistant at Shawcross Care Home responded to this review on 17 May 2017:

We really appreciate your feedback and will ensure you that we will do everything we can to address the issues you have highlighted to us.

Home Manager

I think that this care home overall is good. Sometimes my nan can be taken to bed too late or too early. Sometimes families concerns aren't acted on immediately, but I understand they are busy.

Home Manager

The home is clean with a wide range of food/choice given, staff are friendly and helpful but run off their feet (understaffed). My reason for this is when asked to attend to Mum, they sometimes say they are doing something else. The facilities are good, they have a hairdresser coming in weekly, and Mum has started to have regular baths.
Overall, I would say the home have made improvements but there is still room for improvement. I have voiced my concerns but feel these aren't taken onboard as quickly as I would like.

Home Manager

For the short length of time dad has resided at the home, I found the staff extremely helpful and pleasant.
The residence itself is very clean and the meals are, or should I say look, very appetising,
All in all, I am very happy with dad's care.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Happy with Grandad's care. He has settled very well into Shawcross Care Home. Staff are excellent and very friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

What other nursing home would invite Spouses to join in with Valentine's meal with their other half? None that I know of. Tonight I shared a meal with my husband at Shawcross nursing home. We enjoyed a beautiful meal a glass of wine on a decorated table with red linen and red sparkly hearts sprinkled all over........a dish of chocolates and a dish of chocolate hearts covered in red foil.The meal was as usual perfectly cooked and presented......I would like to thank all the staff involved for making tonight special.......and to also thank all the staff for the wonderful care given to my husband........you deserve an award.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

After a very upsetting time having ot choose nursing accommodation so quickly, the staff made the transition much easier to deal with. Very welcoming, helpful and caring. Everybody in the home finds time to speak and update you daily. Would certainly recommend.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

I would like to thank all the staff from the management to the cleaners, they are so dedicated. I think this care home should be an example to all other care homes should be managed. Well done on an excellent achievement.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very happy indeed. My mums welfare is my main priority and she is well looked after in here so pleased with everything.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very happy being here in Shawcross. I am well looked after with lots of care and attention.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Likely

After looking at care homes in our area, our family decided that Shawcross was our first-class for my husband who needs E.M.I care. We found the home clean and roomy bedrooms with a good sized window with a view of the road. We found the staff very caring not only to my husband but to all our family, greeting us with first names, which made us feel they cared about family as well as residents. The activities they provide for the residents is very good and they encourage them to take part.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

From my initial meeting with the care home manager showing us around to my Dad moving in, I felt at ease with the person and the home. I had looked around many homes and this stood out as far fresher in appearance and looked spacious and homely in the communal areas. Once Dad had moved in, I felt most staff whom I came across to be friendly and caring. Dad had some settling in issues and they dealt with them swiftly.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have always found the home to be very personal, caring and interested in patient care. The staff are professional and helpful. The room my nan has is fantastic and perfect for her needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very attentive to my mother in law's needs. Staff have a good background knowledge of my mother in law and make it feel like home.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Mum has been here for over a week and I am very pleased with their standard of care, cleanliness. Her room is en-suite. The cleanliness of the communal room, entrance and Mum's room is of a very high standard. The staff are all very pleasant, caring and know some of my Mum's preferences in just one week. I feel like this is a home from home. It has a good reputation and was recommended by a neighbour too (the best recommendation is 'word of mouth').

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent service provided by staff for my grandad. Food choice is good and activities are always ongoing. I would certainly recommend Shawcross Care Home to anyone who was considering it.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Shawcross is a beautiful home. The manager and all staff are caring helpful and friendly. The home is spotless and the rooms are lovely. The safety and security for the residents is excellent. My mother, a resident is well looked after. The carers do a great job taking care of her. They are so caring and helpful with everyone. I am so glad and pleased that my mother is here, I wouldn't want her to be anywhere else. She looks so content.
I come here everyday and it's like a home from home. The management and staff are doing a great job. I can't praise them enough and I recommend Shawcross to anyone who talks about care homes to me.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

We have visited my mum's friend and old neighbour and found him to be much happier and more settled in Shawcross. The staff are so caring of him and his needs. The room is bright and comfortable. He is enjoying food again, is safe and secure.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff are so kind and considerate with their residents. They take care to get to know all their personalities likes and dislikes. They make sure that the residents are happy safe and secure, their welfare comes first and nothing is too much trouble. The home is bright and colourful with lots of extra thoughtful touches like frames with wool or jewellery for the residents to use. Guitars and photos, mementos and memory joggers on the walls to make a friendly homely atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

During our stay in the home we have been very satisfied with the care we have received. The care of the staff has been excellent, everyone very friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very homely staff are very friendly who do what they can to help, I think activities are really good and they cater to my needs with food options.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Likely

Nothing wrong no complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Likely

I am finding Shawcross care home a very pleasant place to stay. All the staff are friendly and helpful and extremely polite. The food and drink provided is really enjoyable and presented in an attractive way.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

I travel from London every 3 weeks and I know that my mum is being looked after very well and I can have peace of mind, being so far away, this means a lot to me. The carers and medical staff are always on hand and will help with any questions I need to ask in connection with mum's health and needs. Mum is always clean and health looking. Housekeeping is good and I am so glad to have mum with such lovely happy genuine carers.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum came to Shawcross in November 2015. I am so delighted with the way she has settled and the care she is receiving. I cannot find any fault, the staff are so caring, friendly and supportive not just to residents but to family too. I have recommended the home already and will continue to do so. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent staff. Safety and security of building good.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum has settled down nicely in this homes care. The staff are very good with her and my mum is content and relaxed in here. There are many improvements gone on the last few monthly which are nice to see. New lightening decorating, new floor's etc. The manager and his staff are very good and deserve some recognition for there fantastic efforts.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

This will be my mother-in-laws third year in Shawcross and she has gone from an angry very confused to a more settled and calmer person. She enjoys doing the activities and goes on the trips out. She went to Blackpool twice last year and really enjoyed it. We have no problems leaving her and she quite happily waves us off. Everyone in the home is pleasant and friendly if we have any concerns they are quickly dealt with.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

My first impression was very positive. I arrived unannounced and was welcomed warmly. The atmosphere was friendly, the carers busy feeding residents but chatting to them whilst doing so. This first impression has been reinforced over the 2 years I've been visiting. Staff interaction is very good, always willing to help each other and always willing to help visitors. The home is currently being overhauled with minimum disruption and although workmen are constantly in and out , the home still looks clean. Organisation seems very good and relatives meetings most helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

First visit to assess the suitability of the facilities was a pleasant experience with an informative and open approach by the staff nurse who showed us around. We got the impression of an open and caring atmosphere that was echoed by the few residents we talked to within the communal lounge. It was clearly a warm and caring atmosphere that was endorsed by other staff and residents. After a month and the final stages of my father's life, I remain impressed by the care and attention that has been paid to him at all times with considerate attention to his individual needs, his dignity and his personal wishes. As a family we could not have asked for more at this sad time.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

From entering Shawcross Care Home my mum has been treated with excellent care. She has been treated with dignity and could not fault the staff at all. They are all very professional and very caring. We feel her quality of life is greatly improved now.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum is very shy, quiet and finds mixing and socialising very difficult. When she came into Shawcross, I was feeling nervous about her settling in. I thought it would take at least 1-2 weeks - after 2 days she has settled and said how much she liked the home. Mum has various health problems - but the team on the EMI unit have been brilliant, well done team :)

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

The new manager and care staff have much improved Shawcross Care Home. More activities for residents to join in, creating a better, happier atmosphere for residents. At meetings with the manager points relatives make are noted and if possible acted upon.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Likely

This care home really impressed me as soon as I walked in, to check it out as a place for my mum to live in. The building is modern, light and brightly decorated. The rooms are large, with big windows, some of them with lovely views. Wide corridors facilitate movement around , the rooms are also en-suite. Refurbishment is taking place on some rooms and the standard of this work is very good and well organised. The home is well managed and the staff are very caring and gentle. Dignity is high on the agenda and the atmosphere is very happy. I would recommend to anybody.

How likely would you be to recommend Shawcross Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Grandma suffered a severe stroke and as a result cannot eat/drink/speak or hardly move and is bed ridden. All the staff give my grandma excellent care and often have her in stiches with laughter. I think my grandma is extremely happy here. We'd all lover her to be at home but the care needed means that is not possible, because of this I don't think any of the family would want her to be anywhere other than here. I cant speak highly enough of the staff and the rooms are excellent.

Submit a Review for Shawcross Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Shawcross Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Shawcross Care Home