The Willows Christian Nursing Home

Warford Park, Faulkners Lane, Mobberley, Knutsford WA16 7AR

The Willows Christian Nursing Home, Knutsford, Cheshire

The Willows Christian Nursing Home has been purpose-built to achieve quality care standards for up to sixty-one service users.

While being suitable for both long-term elderly care and short-term respite needs, The Willows specialises in providing innovative dementia care as part of the UK drive to produce appropriate mental health services.

The home is located close to a bowling green that residents are often able to enjoy together with many other activities and hobbies, as well as having their own hair salon and access to church services.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Person in charge: Tamara Simmons (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Cheshire East Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 61 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Polish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Willows Christian Nursing Home: click here

9.5 The Willows Christian Nursing Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.497)

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for The Willows Christian Nursing Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 28 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Willows Christian Nursing Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.595 for The Willows Christian Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (231 Excellents x 5) + (82 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) + (4 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 333 Ratings = 4.595

The 4.902 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Willows Christian Nursing Home is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12.2 positive Reviews (61 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 12.2 Target = 0.902

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Willows Christian Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Willows Christian Nursing Home

I think it unlikely that there is a care home where the residents are more loved and cared for than the Willows. Although sometimes residents can be very distressed and difficult to help, the staff are unfailing in their support and patience. My mother lived at The Willows for 5 1/2 years until her recent death and was looked after with skill and tenderness right up until the end. I will always be grateful to them for their support.

How likely would you be to recommend The Willows Christian Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Tamara Simmons, Home Manager at The Willows Christian Nursing Home responded to this review on 26 Sep 2017:

Thank you for your very kind comments which I will share with our team. Our aim is to always offer the best support to the resident and their families and we are so pleased that we able to fulfil that for you and your loved one.

Management. Staff absolutely wonderful. The Willows is excellent.

Tamara Simmons, Home Manager at The Willows Christian Nursing Home responded to this review on 30 Jun 2017:

Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased that you have had such a positive experience. We appreciate your comments and we will continue to strive to improve and maintain our standards.

My mother arrived after Christmas. The staff encouraged her mobility and got her downstairs, involved with the other residents. After she became less mobile they were efficient and sensitive to her needs and she was always treated with respect, care and love. When she became gravely ill she could not have wished for kinder or more sensitive nursing. The chaplain gave her and our family constant support and the GP for the home was also readily available and went out of his way to be helpful.

My step-gran moved in at the beginning of February. It is very clear how settled she is here and what great care she receives from all the staff here. I would just like to thank the staff for how supportive and caring they all are.

Tamara Simmons, Home Manager at The Willows Christian Nursing Home responded to this review on 18 May 2017:

Thank you very much for your kind comments. Our aim is to create a welcoming supportive atmosphere where we listen to our residents and their families to enable us to work together for the best possible outcomes for our residents. So we really appreciate you taking the time to give us such positive feedback that I will share with our team.

All staff are really amazing. They are everything carers should be. My dad's wife is settled and loves living at The Willows. A lovely home that is always friendly and kind. They contact us when necessary and appropriate.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We are so pleased that your Step-mum has settled in her new home and the transition has been such a positive experience. I will be glad to share your comments with my our team.

I felt comfortable being at The Willows from the very first time that I visited. This has developed into a huge appreciation and confidence in all that happens here. My sister had multiple challenges both mental and physical and most significantly cannot articulate her needs. All her carers are skilled in interpreting facial expressions and my sister's needs are anticipated well. Staff have shown me huge support at various crisis points and now feel like friends and extended family. The manager has an impressive combination of professionalism and sensitivity. I am so grateful that I found this home and wholeheartedly recommend it.

Tamara Simmons, Home Manager at The Willows Christian Nursing Home responded to this review on 03 Apr 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments that I will share with my team. Our aim has always been not just to meet the needs of our residents but also to support our relatives through often difficult times. Once again thank you for your review.

My 95 year old mum was admitted on an emergency placement as she was no longer able to manage with support from home care. She was not confident to stand/walk on her own but was capable of making decisions, up to date on current affairs and an independent lady who knew what she wanted. I went to visit her the day after admission and found her sat in a very poorly lit room, very near to a radiator and a few feet from a television with a channel 4 chat show on at a high volume. She was very distressed as she could not see anyone as her back was to the room door and she had no remote control to alter the television or switch it off. She had an indwelling catheter. In her own home, she had a catheter valve, this had been changed to a drainage bag which was supported by a G-strap only and hanging off her leg below the level of her skirt. My sister and I spoke to the nurses about the above concerns. The nurses did not want to understand about my mum, how she had lived by herself with the support of carers, the difficulties she has been having, her likes/dislikes. They said they would find out by themselves. Nothing changed that day concerning the lighting, remote control or catheter drainage bag. The nurse said the catheter valve had been changed to a bag at the direction of her GP. I visited my mum the next day and she immediately asked if she could go to the toilet. I asked 2 different carers who both said she did not need to go as she had just been. I told mum what they said and again she said she needed to go and became distressed as she did not want to soil herself. I stood in the corridor to wait for a carer and on the third time of asking, told me they would come when free to asses. The carers did come and did transfer my mum to the toilet and she did a large bowel movement. The carers moved my mum without talking to her, explaining what they were going to do and did not give her the opportunity to stand and move herself with their support and when she sat on the toilet, she fell backwards and could have easily banged her head or hurt her back. I was very distressed and upset with what I had experienced when I visited mum at the care home. I did not consider that she was shown dignity and respect, care or compassion. I spoke to mum's GP about my concerns and experiences, including the change in her catheter management and he informed me that he had not advised a catheter drainage bag and his preference was for a valve. When my mum was transferred to a different nursing home, she still had a drainage bag secured only with a G-strap and hanging from her leg below the level of her skirt. Are you aware of The Fifteen Step Challenge? NHS Institute of Innovation and Improvement 2012. I did not get a good first impression of the care given to my mum. I expected high quality individualised care delivered in a safe and welcoming environment. I hope that by following this up on behalf of myself and my mum and my family that it will influence for the better. The care and memories going forward for other individuals and their families. I look forward to a response following this review.

How likely would you be to recommend The Willows Christian Nursing Home? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Staff: Poor

Management: Very Poor

Safety / Security: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

Tamara Simmons, Home Manager at The Willows Christian Nursing Home responded to this review on 15 Feb 2017:

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us about your experience at our home. We would very much like the opportunity to meet with you to discuss your concerns in more detail, please could you contact us if you would like this to be arranged?

Excellent, involving staff at all levels. Very quick response to any concerns/incidents. Safe, clean, happy and a very well run environment, in house laundry, is amazing!!!

Tamara Simmons, Home Manager at The Willows Christian Nursing Home responded to this review on 18 Jan 2017:

Thank you for your very kind and welcome comments. It is so good to have this feedback to share with all the staff. Thank you for taking the time to write and post your comments about The Willows.

From the first visit to The Willows to the final days of her life the staff treated both her and the family with the utmost kindness dignity and love. We could not have wished for more caring and dignified care from all the staff.

Although my father was only at The Willows for a few weeks he received outstanding care and support for his failing health. Even though was challenging at times the staff showed him great kindness. The resident Chaplain gave both my father and myself very caring spiritual support which was much appreciated. Such a blessing that this very special service is available. Thank you so much.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such positive comments about the experience you have received at The Willows. Our intentions are always to meet the needs of our residents and also to help our relatives whenever possible, so feedback such as this is very much appreciated.

Over a period of four years, my father was well looked after by the team at The Willows. He told people he enjoyed living there and that the food was good. He took part in some of the social activities and really enjoyed the trip on a barge. Family and friends were always made welcome, being offered tea and coffee and meals could be pre-arranged.

My mother has been at The Willows for only one week but during that time, the staff have achieved so much with enabling her recovery. The Willows feels as close to being in your own home as it is possible to be. All the staff are incredibly friendly, caring and extremely attentive. My mum appears to be far more settled and content since arriving here and that has to be down to the care she has received. Thank you.

Tamara Simmons, Home Manager at The Willows Christian Nursing Home responded to this review on 02 Dec 2016:

Thank you for your kind comments. At The Willows we aim to do the very best we can to make a positive difference to the people in our care and their families. Thank you for your feedback which I will share with our staff team.

My sister has been cared for at The Willows for 3 1/2 years and we are so thankful for the care she has received as her condition deteriorates. All the staff - care staff, nurses, ancillary staff ar always ready to give a smile and I have never seen anyone being other than kind, patient and gentle, respecting dignity. It's easy to forget that all the staff have to deal with sometimes very difficult emotional and painful situations, yet they never allow this to affect their care. It is so reassuring to have confidence in the care provided and also in the efficiency of administrative staff. Not least, so much benefit from the loving Christian environment.

Raden Mauremootoo, Area Manager at The Willows Christian Nursing Home responded to this review on 31 Oct 2016:

On behalf of the management and staff, we thank you for the positive comments. We will pass your comments to the dedicated team.

The attitude and care the staff give my father is exceptional. They are kind, caring and very patient. the home is always warm and "sunny" and there is a feeling of welcome and peace when you visit. They have always treated my father with total dignity and for that, I am truly grateful.

The Willows Christian Nursing Home has recently been refurbished/redecorated which has improved the interior of the home, making it more comfortable and welcoming. The staff are friendly and caring and the food is excellent, at times it is clear that the home is short staffed so there is not enough attention given to some of the residents as quickly as they might need it, but I'm sure this is the case in most nursing/care homes currently. Overall, I don't think there could be a much better environment for an EMI Unit with a nice setting, including the garden area/views of the countryside and relatively small number of residents.

How likely would you be to recommend The Willows Christian Nursing Home? Likely

I only spent a short time visiting my friend at the Willows. I received a very warm welcome and had a strong impression that nothing would be too much trouble. I have given excellent reviews based on the feedback from friends and family who were able to spend more time with my friend at The Willows than I was.

My friend was approaching the final stages of her illness and could no longer be cared for at home. Since her only immediate family lives abroad, a close friend and I were charged with finding appropriate care. Together, we visited several care homes in the area. Our final visit was to 'The Willows' in Mobberley and, on meeting several of the staff, we knew that this was the right place.

Over the following 10 days, as my friends condition deteriorated, I was at every stage impressed and grateful for the note-perfect care that she and all her many visitors received. This was at all times kind, gentle, remarkably surefooted, medically skilled and appropriately professional. This wonderful care of all parties continued until my friend passed away and afterwards as practical arrangements were made.

I have since given some thought to the question of what could have been better about the care offered by 'The Willows' and, quite honestly, I could think of nothing at all. Thank you.

My mother, who has dementia, went to The Willows for one week. The staff were very kind and helpful. My mother is 91 but physically very fit and they were wonderful at taking her out for walks. There were activities for her to join in with, a church service which she enjoyed, lovely food and a pleasant room overlooking the bowling green. A lovely care home with kind and helpful staff.

The staff at The Willows looked after my mum giving end of life care. The care that she received was excellent. Every member of staff treated her with kindness and respect. Medically she was well looked after. When mum died the kindness and professionalism of the staff was something that will stay with me. They helped make a very difficult time a little bit easier.

The care that my mother has received has been wonderful. A very caring and professional care home.

My husband spent the last month of his life at The Willows when he was needing full time nursing care having gradually deteriorated over five years with vascular dementia. I cannot speak too highly of the care which he received. The staff, without exception were kind, caring and professional and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for any of them. The care and concern was also shown to me and my daughter when we visited and, on the night before he died, arrangements were made for me to sleep in his room where they brought in an extra bed.

Staff are very busy, but still have time to chat and spend time with dad. They know him well and keep me updated regularly by phone and in person. He responds well to their interactions with him, despite his severe dementia. We visit at various times and days and have always been greeted in a friendly manner and residents are comfortable and clean.

I consider that The Willows has improved over the last 12 months by being upgraded, decoration-wise, staffing levels and friendliness of the staff. I always get a resume of my mother's health whenever I visit. My mother always seems happy. She is always clean and tidy and appears to be well looked after. The staff now are constantly in view and freely available, talkative and smartly dressed.

The home is very welcoming. The staff are all very pleasant and accommodating. All staff treat the residents with great care and dignity. I am happy with my fathers care here. When I have mentioned concerns they have been taken seriously and acted upon straight away with very satisfactory conclusions. I would not hesitate to recommend this home to anyone. The activities, food and personal grooming (hairdresser and nail care) are excellent and enhance my dads wellbeing immensely. I am very happy he is at The Willows.

The Willows was chosen after a visit to a number of homes in the area. Experience has shown that this was a good decision.
The overall atmosphere in the home and the care and consideration given by the staff is excellent.

During the 8 months my father has been at The Willows he has received an exceptionally high standard of care. I know that he is not compliant at getting washed and dressed but have witnessed this being done in a caring and courteous manner in order to lessen his anxiety. I am always kept very well informed and up to date with his care plans and medication needs.

The staff are all very friendly and often go out of their way to share anecdotes about my father. I feel confident that the care he receives is of a consistently high level regardless of which members of staff are on duty. A wide repertoire of additional entertainment and activities are planned for the residents who are then encouraged but not coerced to join in. The environment is clean, welcoming and well maintained, always smelling fresh. I do however feel that additional en suite facilities would further enhance the accommodation.

My father has been here for eight months since his ongoing vascular dementia meant he now needs 24 hour nursing care. He is in the general nursing section. He has settled well, cared for by the conscientious staff who do their utmost to do all they can for the residents. There is not a high turnover of staff so they get to know the residents and families well and manage their ongoing physical and mental needs, nor are their optional side and emotional needs neglected, the chaplain is a supportive presence and the charitable nature of the care home is apparent in the ethos of the management.

Well managed with excellent attentive staff. Contact always made with the family whenever my mother had a fall or required treatment of any kind. Quality nursing care provided in house which removes the necessity of taking service users to the local hospital.
The staff are professional but maintain a friendly and welcoming manner which is greatly appreciated when visits are made. The premises were always clean and tidy and there was always a pleasant atmosphere throughout the building. Highly recommended.

Submit a Review for The Willows Christian Nursing Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for The Willows Christian Nursing Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Willows Christian Nursing Home