Old Gates Care Home

Livesey Branch Road, Feniscowles, Blackburn BB2 5BU

Old Gates carers work hard to create a community feel within each of the home’s three houses. Excelling in expert provision, the houses deliver nursing, palliative and dementia care for short or long-term requirements.

Situated in the pleasant area of Feniscowles, Old Gates is surrounded by beautiful countryside and large landscaped grounds. Accommodation in each of the buildings offers comfortable rooms with tasteful furnishings and decor. WiFi hotspots are available within the home as well access to Skype, an optician and relaxation therapies.

Food at the home is tailored to meet individual tastes and dietary requirements, sourced from fresh local produce.

Monthly-themed events are organised by the activity co-ordinator who takes time to get to know each resident before working to create hobbies interesting to them. Arts and crafts, baking sessions and movement to music are just a few of the popular activities, while visiting entertainers, a mobile library and day trips to the seaside may also be enjoyed.

Person in charge: Catherine Brierley (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 90 Service Users

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Urdu

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Old Gates Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for Old Gates Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 9 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Old Gates Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.3 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.694 for Old Gates Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (69 Excellents x 5) + (28 Goods x 4) + (1 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 98 Ratings = 4.694

The 4.278 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Old Gates Care Home is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 18 positive Reviews (90 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 18 Target = 0.278

9 Old Gates Care Home has a Review Score of 9 (8.972) from 9 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Old Gates Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Old Gates Care Home

I have been at Old GHates for 5 years and made many friends, I like to sit in the lounge and watch TV and like to play Bingo.

How likely would you be to recommend Old Gates Care Home? Extremely Likely

My uncle came into Old Gates Care Home 18 months ago he lives in Cherry Unit I visit my uncle every day during this time I can honestly say that the staff are very caring treating each resident with dignity and respect and maintain happiness throughout the whole, friendly faces to greet you on entering the home by the reception staff. The management is very caring and understanding always listen to points of view and act very respectfully to ensure resident and family are happy in their care. What I like about a nursing and residential home is that there is always a qualified nurse on duty at all times in the home and regular GP visits, also a massive praise to activity, laundry, domestics, kitchen and maintenance staff who are all doing a great job. My uncle is very happy and comfortable here at Old Gates Care Home and is happy to spend the rest of his life here, thanks to a wonderful team.

How likely would you be to recommend Old Gates Care Home? Extremely Likely

Well satisfied with care from all who work in this home. Always pleasant and helpful. They really care.

How likely would you be to recommend Old Gates Care Home? Extremely Likely

Although my father was only resident in Old Gates Care Home for just less than two weeks, we found his care here excellent and always professional. The nursing staff made sure he was always comfortable and listened to our views. He was cared for with care and compassion in all aspects.

How likely would you be to recommend Old Gates Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Old Gates Care Home responded to this review on 13 Dec 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

On each of my visits to administer Holly Communion I have found the staff very courteous and helpful. I have ticked the boxes below that I feel I can comment on, all others out of my experience range I have left blank.

How likely would you be to recommend Old Gates Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Old Gates Care Home responded to this review on 31 Oct 2017:

We want to thank all the staff for the care, kindness and dignity they gave my Dad while he was at Old Gates, nothing was to much trouble. The staff were so thoughtful to my mum when we knew Dad didn't have long to live, always keeping us informed daily. We would recommend Old Gates to anyone looking for a home. Thank you from my Mum, Brother and myself.

How likely would you be to recommend Old Gates Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Old Gates Care Home responded to this review on 03 Dec 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback, and sorry for your loss. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My dear mother moved here in mid January 2016. She resides in the nursing unit named Holly. Her general well being has improved way beyond my expectations as she was classed as being end of life prior to admission. Her food intake is now good, where as before she was eating next to nothing. Her room is excellent even though my mum does not recognise her surroundings. She is now able to walk a reasonable distance with help of 2 carers. The management and staff are lovely and easy to talk to, in order to explain my mums needs and wishes. All in all a very professional organisation.

How likely would you be to recommend Old Gates Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Old Gates Care Home responded to this review on 06 Apr 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

As a temporary resident for respite care following hospitalisation and operation, all my personal needs were provided. The staff were attentive and helpful at all times. There was plenty of interaction and involvement in activities, as well as being left to rest fully when needed.

How likely would you be to recommend Old Gates Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at Old Gates Care Home responded to this review on 20 Apr 2016:

I welcome this opportunity to thank you. I visit a friend monthly both as a friend and contact from Parish Church. She is on the Rowan Unit. She is very well cared for,t he staff are always kind to her and welcoming to me. It is a busy unit where the ladies and gentlemen need constant care, and everything done for them. The staff speak to them kindly respecting them. The unit and my friends room are always kept clean and tidy. I cannot speak highly enough of this wonderful home. The food is good (I fed my friend lunch one day, was there last week when she was been fed little bits of éclair) The staff are angels.

Submit a Review for Old Gates Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Old Gates Care Home