Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre

Thistle Hill, Knaresborough HG5 8LS

Thistle Hill Care Centre makes the most of pleasant grounds and a versatile interior to provide top quality nursing and residential care, with professionals available round-the-clock and also skilled in care and support for physical disabilities and dementia.

A committed team work hard to ensure that all provision is tailored to the individual, while allowing them to make the most of a relaxed and homely atmosphere.

All staff are carefully chosen and well-qualified to achieve the best standards, with the company philosophy focusing on an attentive service that also supports an active lifestyle. Personal interests are encouraged and there is much to enjoy within the life of the home.

The aim is to meet all residents’ needs over the long-term, living up to a reputation for quality that Barchester homes have earned.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Mandy Scott (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: North Yorkshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 85 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alcohol Dependence (past or present) • Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Challenging Behaviour • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Profound & Multiple Learning Disabilties • Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus • Stroke

Admission Information: Young disabled people 18-65/Elderly Frail/Dementia Care. Ages 18+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Filipino, Afrikaans, Polish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.348 for Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (88 Excellents x 5) + (56 Goods x 4) + (12 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) + (3 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 164 Ratings = 4.348

The 4.529 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 17 positive Reviews (85 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 17 Target = 0.529

8.9 Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.877) from 14 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre

Having to use your centre for my wife's respite through social service Harrogate, we were deeply impressed in every aspect of care and attention of each member of staff even part-timers. The standard of hygiene, food, accommodation and friendliness was of a very high standard comparable to a hotel!! How the efficiency is kept so high in this day of scarce carers is beyond us, this is the benchmark all care home should take up!! Thank you so much.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Excellent nursing facilities and caring staff. Always clean and tidy. Well prepared food, well-maintained building, well managed.

Mandy Scott, General Manager at Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre responded to this review on 27 Mar 2018:

I am glad that you find our nursing facility excellent. We pride ourselves in offering home cooked food and like to have a varied menu. We feel that Thistle Hill is a great facility for our residents and the grounds that we have are a great asset.

Have found care good and staff friendly.
No feeding as done on peg feed.

Mandy Scott, General Manager at Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre responded to this review on 21 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your positive review at Thistle Hill Care Centre. I am pleased that the care your relative is receiving is of a good standard. The care team at Thistle Hill are an integral part of the home and like to welcome residents and relatives to the home.

This is a good place to come to and they treat you right. If you ask things they will do it for you.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre? Likely

Mandy Scott, General Manager at Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre responded to this review on 02 Mar 2018:

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Thistle Hill Care Centre and we look forward to you coming again.

This care home is excellent in many ways. Staff are very good and are always helpful. Residents are treated with dignity. Cleanliness of the home is excellent, improvement of food is needed.

Thank you for your positive feedback. Our Chef is always happy to speak to our residents and relatives on ways in which we can improve our food. The staff at Thistle Hill always appreciate positive feedback and are happy to help in any way.

A quiet pleasant atmosphere about the place. The staff are very polite and approachable.

Mandy Scott, General Manager at Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre responded to this review on 11 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your kind comments. We aim to have a quiet homely atmosphere at Thistle Hill. I will pass the comments on to the staff as it is always good for them to receive such positive comments.

My brother took up residence in November 2017 so still finding his way around.

Mandy Scott, General manager at Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre responded to this review on 09 Jan 2018:

I am glad your brother is settling into life at Thistle Hill Care Centre. Thank you for your positive feedback.

Directly I arrive (by taxi) an easy chair and a coffee supply appear to keep me comfortable while a push chair is provided. I visit room 23 which is practically the farthest from the entrance. I am 92 years old and am disabled. When I play and when I visit I sit in the push chair until I leave. I am fed with coffee at the end of my visit until the taxi arrives. My shoulder bag and raincoat are stored for me at the entrance.

Mandy Scott, General Manager at Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre responded to this review on 30 Nov 2017:

I am glad you enjoy your visits to Thistle Hill. We look forward to you coming each week. We are very happy to provide you with coffee and cake which I know you enjoy.

The home is extremely clean. Staff are extremely helpful. Food is very good. Very nice and homely atmosphere.

My wife has settled in very well.

Thank you for your kind comments. We have just employed a new head chef so I am glad your wife is enjoying the meals.

Staffing levels in dementia unit are woefully inadequate.
Care staff try and do a good job but do not have staffing levels to achieve an acceptable level of care or safety of vulnerable residents.
Management unable or unwilling to respond to complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre? Extremely Unlikely

I visited 9 or 10 nursing homes and decided that this home was the best for my husband. He has been here for 5 months now and I am very pleased with the care he is receiving.
The home is very efficiently run, always clean and tidy. The care he is given by the carers and nurses is very good. He is always clean and tidy when I visit him.
He enjoys his meals and likes the staff. I am welcomed everytime I visit and I can talk to the staff or manager anytime.
I would certainly recommend this care home to anyone.

This care centre is second to none. All staff know their job.
Nurses - excellent!
Carers - excellent!
Every resident treated exceptionally well.

I feel there are not enough staff to give residents the attention they need. When my husband needs to go to the toilet at times there is only one carer on the unit so therefore he can't get taken, sometimes I have had to take him myself.
I would like my husband to have physio to help him to walk as he isn't too good at walking.
There doesn't seem much going on to give the residents the stimulation that they need.
I feel they don't get taken out into the sunshine as much as they should. Products I take seem to disappear from his room.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre? Unlikely

My family and I are extremely pleased with the care my father received in the two years he spent at Thistle Hill (February 2014 until end of December 2015) and would like to take the opportunity to thank all those involved. The staff, without exception, formed very good relationships with him and anticipated his needs very well, responding to him consistently as a valued individual with calmness, skill and good humour, despite the fact that his dementia could cause him to behave in a difficult manner at times.

The end of life care during his last illness was absolutely outstanding and was better than anything we could have hoped for. The skill and compassion of the nurses and carers involved in this were amazing and they frequently went the extra mile. In addition to the fact that his death was enabled to be extremely peaceful and 'right', they never failed to look after us as a family and the ten days we spent between us at his bedside were made as comfortable as possible with numerous very thoughtful gestures being made.

We will never forget Thistle Hill and will recommend you very highly to all family and friends. Thank you.

Submit a Review for Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre

posted 09 Apr 2018

We have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

December 2012

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Thistle Hill Care Centre