Barchester South Chowdene Care Home

Chowdene Bank, Low Fell, Gateshead NE9 6JE

South Chowdene is a pleasant home situated in the middle of Low Fell. There is a large garden area at the back of home which has won 'best garden' awards for 'Barchester in Bloom'. The garden is wheelchair accessible area and also benefits from two water features. They offer first-class 24-hour nursing and respite care, as well as short breaks.

A team of highly-qualified and attentive staff really focus on the individual needs of residents with a tailored care plan for each person. And their dedication can be seen across the board - in cooking, hospitality and organising activities for residents.

Owners think you'll find they're ideally suited to meet your needs.

Why not arrange a visit and see for yourself.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Kate Searle (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 42 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Ages from 60 to 100.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Tagalog, Urdu

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester South Chowdene Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Barchester South Chowdene Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester South Chowdene Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.667 for Barchester South Chowdene Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (121 Excellents x 5) + (40 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 168 Ratings = 4.667

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester South Chowdene Care Home is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.4 positive Reviews (42 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 8.4 Target Reached = 1

9.7 Barchester South Chowdene Care Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.667) from 14 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester South Chowdene Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester South Chowdene Care Home

Barchester South Chowdene Care Home has a warm friendly atmosphere which is so noticeable when you walk throughout the home. The home is very family orientated and it actually feels as though you are coming from home to home. The staff are amazing, friendly, kind, compassionate and most caring towards to the residents. The staff seem to be really dedicated to their jobs and care deeply for the residents. As this was noticed on many occasions when I visited my late father who passed away August 2017. My father seemed so content and seemed to settle in the home very quickly. My sister and I would ask him how happy he was and he said he was content.

The hoe reminded me and my sister of a lovely country home as the gardens were beautifully kept and pristine, full of shrubs, trees and wonderfully designed. I think my father thought he was in his own back garden. We even saw two squirrels scurry across the lawns.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester South Chowdene Care Home? Extremely Likely

Katie Searle, General Manager at Barchester South Chowdene Care Home responded to this review on 27 Apr 2018:

Thank you so very much for your lovely review. I shall share this with my team as I am sure they will be overjoyed. Your father was a pleasure to care for and we really looked forward to you all visiting. Please feel free to pop in any time to have coffee and cake in our café or picnic in the garden.

My father was in South Chowdene after leaving hospital. He took ill while in there and unfortunately passed away but my sisters and myself were very very happy with his level of care before he passed away. Also, since he passed, we have been back and they were very welcoming to us.

Katie Searle, General Manager at Barchester South Chowdene Care Home responded to this review on 23 Jan 2018:

Thank you so much for the beautiful review it is much appreciated. I shall ensure I share with my team. I wish you all the very best for the future and remember we are here for you all. Kindest Regards Katie and the team

From day one they couldn't do enough for my dad. We were glad he went in when he did, sitting with him when he told one of the girls he was scared and didn't want to die but he was 92 and died in there. The care was second to none in and out of his room all the time. Sometimes he was grumpy but they didn't mind at all. He was lucky and so were we. Anybody's family member would be lucky to be in there.

Thank you so very much for a lovely review. Although your Dad was only with us briefly he made a big impact in our hearts, we all thought so highly of him and you all. We wish you all the best and feel free to pop in at any point. Thank you again. Kind Regards Katie and the team.

We couldn't have wished for a better place for our mother to be in the last days of her life. She was treated with respect and dignity. Would definitely recommend this home.

When we first viewed South Cowdene in May 29017 we were met by a lovely carer straight away and offered a tea, coffee. No waiting time to meet the Manager who took her time to show us around, which we greatly appreciated. Since my Mam moving here all staff are very very easy to approach on any matter. They can't do enough for you whatever you ask. If they can't help you with your enquiry they will find someone who can, even though they have the residents to look after. Nothing is too much trouble. All the staff here are very pleasant, helpful, lovely. I would definitely recommend South Chowdene Care Home. 1st Class. Thank you everyone.

Kate Searle, General Manager at Barchester South Chowdene Care Home responded to this review on 30 Oct 2017:

Thank you so much, Christina. We love having you, your brother and especially your Mam as part of our family. It feels like we have known each other for years. Thank you again for your lovely comment - I will print it off for all staff to see as they love getting feedback. Thanks again and see you soon x

I find Chowdene nicely situated and a well cared for garden to sit in. Always nice and warm and spotlessly clean. Staff are very pleasant to residents and visitors.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester South Chowdene Care Home? Likely

The staff are very friendly and always pass the time of day to anyone they come into contact with. The atmosphere is very welcoming. All residents are treated as individuals and the staff make themselves aware of each individual's needs both emotional and physically. The home now has a very enthusiastic events officer who is actively engaging residents to drive this forward. I know my mother feels very safe and secure and is made to feel part of the "family" which the home tries to engender.

My sister has been in South Chowdene since June 2017. She has settled into a routine which meets all our expectation and we are delighted that she has found a haven of calm, comfort and safe living. The management and staff have provided her with caring support, without any fuss. They do everything you could wish for with good humour and thoughtfulness.

I'm very happy with the home, the staff and management are excellent.

My mam is treated with dignity and respect. Since my mam moved here, I have peace of mind and I know she is well taken care of. I would have no reservation in recommending this home.

Would like more outside trips for my mother.

Katie Searle, General Manager at Barchester South Chowdene Care Home responded to this review on 02 Oct 2017:

Thank you so much for the feedback you have provided it is much appreciated by our team. It is a privilege to provide care for your mum. We have bus trips arranged that your mum has helped plan.

I really love this care home. I am very happy with the love and care in which my mother-in-law receives. The staff are brilliant, nothing is a problem to them, from the bedrooms, dining room, lounges, gardens, kitchen, toilets and bathrooms and kept clean to a very high standard. The food is beautiful, the residents are very well cared for I would definitely recommend this care home. The staff have time to listen to you, they are all very friendly.

I find the staff extremely caring, always friendly and helpful. They seem to know my mother in law very well and take notice of her wishes. They are prepared to put themselves to a lot of trouble to be helpful.

I can't speak more highly about the staff at Barchester South Chowdene Home. Very caring and compassionate staff, who regularly go above and beyond with the care of my father.

My mum has been a resident at South Chowdene Care Home for the last two years and has significant care needs. In all that time I have always found the staff to be cheerful, patient and caring. Visitors are made welcome and I can go and see my mum whenever I want. It is a relief to know she is being properly cared for at all times.

Submit a Review for Barchester South Chowdene Care Home

posted 09 May 2018

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester South Chowdene Care Home