Barchester Hundens Park Care Home, Darlington, Durham

Hundens Park Care Centre makes the most of pleasant grounds and a versatile interior to provide top quality nursing and residential care, with professionals available round-the-clock and also skilled in care and support for physical disabilities and dementia.

A committed team work hard to ensure that all provision is tailored to the individual, while allowing them to make the most of a relaxed and homely atmosphere.

All staff are carefully chosen and well-qualified to achieve the best standards, with the company philosophy focusing on an attentive service that also supports an active lifestyle. Personal interests are encouraged and there is much to enjoy within the life of the home.

The aim is to meet all residents’ needs over the long-term, living up to a reputation for quality that Barchester homes have earned.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Barry Southern (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Darlington Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 47 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Stroke

Admission Information: Following Individual Assessment. Ages 40+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester Hundens Park Care Home: click here

posted 12 Feb 2018

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

8.2 Barchester Hundens Park Care Home has a Review Score of 8.2 (8.194)

The Review Score of 8.2 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Hundens Park Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 9 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Hundens Park Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.5 out of 5 from 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.731 for Barchester Hundens Park Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (83 Excellents x 5) + (15 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 104 Ratings = 4.731

The 3.463 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Hundens Park Care Home is based on 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 = 3.25

2. Target of 9.4 positive Reviews (47 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 2 Reviews ÷ 9.4 Target = 0.213

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Hundens Park Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Hundens Park Care Home

The care shown by both the nursing staff and the carers is exceedingly good. The job is inevitably a stressful and emotional one, but the staff are highly dedicated in giving their best and put the residents first. A team that is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Hundens Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Met the Manager and Staff in February 2017 when my mum was first transferred to the home. Visiting from the USA, I was back home to make sure my mum was placed comfortably in a new care home. I cannot begin to speak more highly of the management and staff at this home. They have gone the extra mile to make sure my mum is cared for. Relatives and friends visit weekly and send me news on her care and it is the best I could hope for - being so far away I do rely on their reports, but to add to this I can contact my mum via Face time and I am so pleased that the manager has arranged this. This place is the best and everyone who works there should be proud!

Couldn't fault the place, absolutely fantastic. The staff are all lovely.

Outstanding care, staff, management and home, I couldn't summarise our experience better. I have working knowledge of the care home industry and was so pleased Hundens Park could cater for our beloved friend and his wife during what would be their final journey together.

The care, attention and dignity our friend received was outstanding. The manager and his team are a complete credit to the home and industry - I wish every provider could see the standard of care and attention that is provided at Hundens, and use this as the benchmark for all homes.

First and lasting impression of a home offering and providing honest care to clients and families. Staff approachable, friendly and caring, environment warm and welcoming. Very nice well done to the manager and staff. Thank you.

The staff are first class as nothing is a trouble to them. They are very caring and respect the privacy of patients. Whatever you want, they try their best to provide. All very caring people.

First class home and service.

Having already experienced dementia care elsewhere your service is superior in all activities associated to providing a dignified and caring service, also across the catering provided for residents.
Every member of staff demonstrates a high quality and caring service, ever mindful of the individuals preferences and limitations. This is also extended to visitors with an open and friendly manner. Where incidents occur, information and action is taken directly, provided to the appropriate person. An area for improvement is to provide some interactive activities where residents are involved eg. armchair exercises.

My mam loves it here now, she has dementia so at first she wanted to go home, but the staff were so patient and helpful. We had all her things put in her room, even the internet, T.V on the wall. They helped her settle in, cut her nails and painted them, talked to her, gave her help even when she did not know she needed it, like changing her, washing her face, giving her lots of drinks. She loves the food.

Submit a Review for Barchester Hundens Park Care Home

Barry

Barry Southern

Joined: 2015

My Career in the care industry spans for over 30 years, predominately in the learning disability sector. I have worked in, and gained valuable experience from a variety of positions from staff nurse to operations director. I am passionate about providing person centred care in a therapeutic safe environment.

In my spare time I enjoy spending quality time with my family and friends. I also fly fish, and enjoy attending live music events.

Sara

Sara Jackson

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2012

I've been with the company 2 years and I am responsible for the residents and staff.

During time away from Hundens Park I enjoy watching live music, cooking and sewing.

The team here is like a second family, very supportive, and one of many the reasons I enjoy working here.

Ana

Ana Trifasi

Job Title: Head of Nursing

Joined: 2010

I've been with the company 5 years and 4 months and am the Clinical Lead/Head of Nursing for Hunden's.

At work everyone is very passionate and ready to go the extra mile for our residents, we have a great team.

Outside of work I love spending time with my family.

Paul

Paul Hammond

Job Title: Administrator

Joined: 2014

I've been at Hundens Park nearly two years now.

As the Administrator it is my responsiblity for doing work on the system here, issuing invoices for fees, ordering items, banking duties, payroll for the staff of the home and other office queries.

I'm quite a keen gamer outside work, also a fan of Sci-Fi novels and spending time with my son.

The thing I like at Hundens is that no day is the same, even within hours everything can change which keeps things very busy and active! Also the staff and residents make it fun alot of the time!

Carolyn

Carolyn Smithyman

Job Title: Home Trainer

Joined: 2015

I've just recently joined Barchester in the last month, and I am responsible for all the training needs of the home.

In my spare time I enjoy socialising with friends and even in my short time I've found the atmosphere at Hundens with the residents and staff to be very enjoyable.

Claire

Claire Bott

Job Title: Admin Assistant

Joined: 2013

I've been with the company over two years now.

As the Admin Assistant, I man the reception, answering the calls coming in for everyone. I'm also responsible for inputting the staffs hours as well as invoices.

When not at work, I share my husbands passion for collecting music on vinyl, as well as walking, taking photo's and reading.

I love the warm and homely atmosphere in the home, visitors comment on how welcoming the home is.

Alan

Alan Wears

Job Title: Head of Maintenance

Joined: 2007

I've been with Barchester over 8 years.

As part of the maintenance side of the home, it's my responsibilty to ensure everything in the home is working and is safe. I'm also involved in general repairs when needed, as well decoration duties to keep Hundens looking smart and presentable at all times, wether it a residents room or otherwise.

Out of work I enjoy Karate.

Interaction with the residents here is something I enjoy thorougly, it makes working here better.

Kitchen

Kitchen Team

Job Title: Chef & Kitchen Assistants

Joined: 2004

Our kitchen team are responsible for the catering service throughout the home. The menu's are planned input from residents as well as meeting specific dietry needs to ensurebalanced, nutritious meals throughout the day. Menus change four times a year to reflect seasonal produce and ensure variety.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Hundens Park Care Home