St Martin's Court Care Home

69 Martin Street, Morriston, Swansea SA6 7BJ

St Martin's Court Care Home, Swansea, Swansea

St Martin's Court Care Home is located within a residential area of Morriston, a purpose built 70 bedded property offering Nursing, Residential and Respite care.

At St Martin’s Care Home Residents have a choice of lounge areas which feature comfortable and specially designed furnishings. St Martin's has a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms; some rooms also have views across the garden.

Chefs at St Martin's pride themselves in knowing the tastes of Residents and preparing a choice of home cooked, fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs. At HC-One, experienced Home Managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Paula Lacy (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Swansea City and County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 67 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): British Sign Language, Welsh

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room

Latest Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales* Report on St Martin's Court Care Home: click here

* Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

posted 31 Oct 2017

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

9.3 St Martin's Court Care Home has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.304)

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for St Martin's Court Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for St Martin's Court Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.558 for St Martin's Court Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (137 Excellents x 5) + (62 Goods x 4) + (15 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 215 Ratings = 4.558

The 4.746 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for St Martin's Court Care Home is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13.4 positive Reviews (67 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 13.4 Target = 0.746

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend St Martin's Court Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to St Martin's Court Care Home

When I went to visit my friend, I found the home very welcoming, happy and very clean. The staff were also very friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend St Martin's Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Generally good, staff helpful and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend St Martin's Court Care Home? Likely

What a wonderful home with amazing staff who were clearly committed to their job. The rooms were clean and homely. It was clear to see that the staff treated my Mum with dignity, nothing was too much for them. My Mum was clean and genuinely cared for. Choice of meals was good. The interaction between staff and residents was incredible. It put my mind at rest every day leaving my Mum knowing that she was in the safest of homes.

Staff were kind and considerate during my Aunt’s short stay at the home. We were made to feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble. She was well cared for in a comfortable, homely environment.

The care home is run very efficiently and I have found the care staff and admin staff to be very helpful. They all make a big effort to sort out any problems that arise.

My mum was in the home for 6 weeks. During that time I found the staff to be friendly and attentive to my mum's needs.
My only concern is that after 5pm the staffing levels did not always appear to be sufficient and the buzzer for attention was constantly sounding, which was disconcerting.

How likely would you be to recommend St Martin's Court Care Home? Likely

Claire Hurworth, Careline Manager at St Martin's Court Care Home responded to this review on 05 Jun 2017:

Many thanks for taking the time to raise your concern with me and I value your feedback. I’m sorry that you had the perception that after 5pm there seemed to be fewer staff on duty than the rest of the day. Our staffing levels are the same throughout the day and evening periods and we keep them under constant review. 5pm can be a busy time of the day when some residents may want to go to their bedrooms or others are requesting support, using their call bells to summon staff.

I am very happy with the service at this home.

Choosing the right care home/setting for a relative or loved one is one of the hardest choices to make. Since my uncle has been at St Martin's, we know he is in very good hands. The level of care he receives is fantastic and professional. The communication is brilliant, his room is always clean and tidy and if he wants anything doing, the handyman is there to do it for him. All the staff are friendly and most importantly, my uncle tells us how wonderful they all are. The food menu is 1st class, lots of activities, trips out and onsite facilities are outstanding. My uncle and ourselves couldn't have chosen a more happier home than St Martin's.

Beautiful, clean, comfortable home. My mother has settled in really well. All the staff are lovely and are so caring and helpful, so much for residents to do. Rooms are clean, (no smells) like you would expect. My mother is my world and I can relax whilst I'm working knowing she is in safe hands. Highly recommended. This home offers a hairdressing service, chiropody, trips out, entertainment and a cinema room. Home from home feel about this home.

My mother arrived with you after 12 weeks in hospital with an infection, meanwhile, her legs had gone and is unable to walk.
Since coming to you, she was showed some progress and is looked after very well with the carers. It has not been easy for me as I have lived all my life with my mother, but I know she is happy with you and in very good company.

How likely would you be to recommend St Martin's Court Care Home? Likely

Short of staff- when residents ask to go to the bathroom they have to wait for ages for carers to take them.

How likely would you be to recommend St Martin's Court Care Home? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at St Martin's Court Care Home responded to this review on 24 Oct 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.
A concern was raised regarding the staffing levels and that on occasions the Residents have to wait for assistance for the toilet.
As a care home, we are regulated by CSSIW and we work to our allocated staffing levels. We do not go below these levels.
We take all concerns raised seriously and we have reviewed our procedures to try and improve the quality of the care and support provided.
This has been a positive exercise, which has allowed the home to change the staff allocation procedure which has promoted the care staff working in a more person-centred way.
There will continue to be occasions when Residents may need to wait for assistance however we aim to keep this at a minimum.
We will continue to monitor and review this.
Thanking you again for taking the time to provide really helpful feedback about the home. We value all feedback and ensure it is recorded and acted upon.

From the telephone call from my wife enquiring on this home, we were so impressed. Everything was explained about the facility. We were crystal clear on all information and invited to view. We found everything clean, warm and welcoming and very homely. To say we are impressed is an understatement. The staff from top to bottom are a credit to the name St. Martin's. They treat residents with such dignity and friendliness. They are always smiling, always a warm greeting, make you aware of any problems straight away and go out of their way to accommodate any problems or concerns. Believe me when I say my mother can be challenging, but hats off to the staff, they are so patient bless them. I feel I could not find anywhere better than St Martin's. I even jokingly asked if I could put my name down on the waiting list.

Staff very nice and very hard working. Relative always smiling and eats well. Some cleaning needed on occasions. Manager very welcoming and helpful.

Overall St Martin's Court is a lovely care home, but there are a couple of issues, namely not enough staff, which then interferes with activities, because there is not enough staff they can't do activities. Also the food is lovely but it is repetitive, you know from week to week what you are having, they could change it a bit.

HC-One, Careline Team at St Martin's Court Care Home responded to this review on 09 May 2016:

You have raised concerns about staffing levels at the home. Please be assured all of our homes meet or exceed the staffing guidelines that are set by our regulators. We are committed to providing Residents with the high quality, kind care they deserve, and therefore tailor our staffing levels to ensure we can meet everyone’s individual needs.
We endeavour to have a dedicated Activities Co-Ordinator at each home to ensure a range of engaging and enjoyable activities are provided for all Residents, based on their individual likes and preferences. We have also provided all homes with a minibus so that day trips can be arranged for Residents.
Sometimes, due to staff sickness or vacancies, we are unable to deliver the programme of activities we want to. Please be assured that in these situations we are working very hard to rectify the situation as quickly as possible. We apologise again for the inconvenience caused during these times.
Making sure Residents have a choice of their favourite foods is really important to us. We record individual preferences to make sure our fresh food menus are created around what they want most. We are delighted to welcome families and loved-ones to share in mealtimes, and the Sunday roast is a special time at many of our homes.
The Home Manager operates an open door policy; please feel free to pop in for a chat at any time to discuss any concerns you may have.

My uncle entered St Martin's Court on 19th February 2016. He has settled in really well thanks to the excellent care given. The administration is very efficient and I have nothing but praise for all the staff.

The care manager at St Martin's nursing home is excellent. She is extremely helpful and a very caring person. Nothing is too much trouble for her and she is dedicated to her position as a care manager. She knows every patient by name and is not afraid to get her hands dirty. The majority of the carers are cheerful and helpful. St Martin's could do with full time permanent nursing staff as there are always agency nurses there so many different ones and they don't know the patients. I would recommend this nursing home because if you have a problem it will be sorted immediately by the excellent care manager and I know my great aunt is in safe hands.

How likely would you be to recommend St Martin's Court Care Home? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at St Martin's Court Care Home responded to this review on 26 Apr 2016:

You have highlighted concerns around the use of agency staff at the home. HC-One aims to deliver the kindest possible care to all Residents, and we know how important it is to provide continuity of care with friendly and familiar staff members to support each Resident. We are committed to delivering this vision through recruiting, training and staffing our homes with all permanent HC-One carers and nurses.

As such, the use of Agency staff is only permitted in our homes when all other options to fill a staffing vacancy, or sickness absence, have been explored.

The use of agency staff is common throughout the care sector, and as you will have probably heard in the news, is generally the result of a national shortage of Registered Nurses. This shortage has impacted both the NHS and care homes over recent months, and has led to many care organisations having difficulty finding high quality, permanent carers and nurses.

The health, wellbeing, safety and happiness of Residents are our top priorities, and we work hard every day to ensure we are delivering the high quality, kind care all Residents deserve.

My mother likes it here, every time I go there if I want to know anything the staff let me know.

It's a very nice place to be, the staff are very helpful. They answer any of your questions, it is a clean home and the residents look happy there.

Submit a Review for St Martin's Court Care Home

Recipient: HC-One

Recipient: HC-One

Joanne Lacy

Introducing Joanne Lacy
Home Manager at St Martin’s Court Care Home, Morriston

What does kindness mean to you?

“Kind care involves providing someone with complete choice over their life and then respecting and honouring the choices they make.”

Joanne is a Registered Nurse with many years’ experience in providing care and support for older people to enrich their lives. She is a knowledgeable and dedicated leader who is passionate about delivering the highest possible standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Having worked at St Martin’s Court for a number of years, Joanne shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. She extends this caring approach to her colleagues and works closely with them to deliver care and support to Residents in a way that means they gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby schools and clubs and is always keen to include the local community in life at St Martin’s Court.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Joanne said: “The best part of my job is having time to sit down and talk to Residents, which enables us to provide them with the best possible care.”

Outside of work, Joanne likes to stay active and can often be found keeping fit at her local gym.

If you would like to find out more information about St Martin’s Court Care Home, Joanne has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal chat.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at St Martin's Court Care Home