Plas Cwm Carw Care Home

Oakwood Lane, Port Talbot SA13 1DF

Located within a residential area of Port Talbot, Plas Cwm Carw Care Home is a purpose-built 66 bedded facility offering dementia, residential, nursing and end of life care and care for young people with disabilities.

At Plas Cwm Carw Care Home, residents have a choice of lounge areas which feature comfortable and specially designed furnishings. The home has a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms; some rooms also have views across the garden.

Chefs at Plas Cwm Carw pride themselves on knowing the tastes of residents and preparing a choice of home cooked, fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs. At HC-One, experienced home managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Jeanette Davies (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 67 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Alcohol Dependence (past or present) • Alzheimer's • Cerebral Palsy • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Welsh

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Television point in own room

Latest Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales* Report on Plas Cwm Carw Care Home: click here

* Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Plas Cwm Carw Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 31 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Plas Cwm Carw Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.543 for Plas Cwm Carw Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (231 Excellents x 5) + (111 Goods x 4) + (26 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 370 Ratings = 4.543

The 4.896 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Plas Cwm Carw Care Home is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13.4 positive Reviews (67 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 13.4 Target = 0.896

9.4 Plas Cwm Carw Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.439) from 31 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Plas Cwm Carw Care Home

The staff are amazing very friendly and are always on hand to help. Or answer any questions you may have.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

This nursing home is very clean and tidy. The staff are very polite and helpful. Information is always given to us promptly if a doctor is needed. The administrator is very supportive to us as a family. The manager is very pleasant and has always got everyone's best interests at heart. My aunt has had so much support with activities and being looked after since she moved in, it's been brilliant. Head staff have been amazing.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

My sister has moved to Plas Cwm Carw Care Home from respite she has settled in so well. The care is wonderful she also has Downs Syndrome so she is very special to me.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

I cannot thank the staff for the care, love, kindness and dignity they gave to my Mum. Mum was always cared for by the staff like she was their own Mum, sometimes during challenging times. I would highly recommend this home to anyone looking for a home for their parent.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother was admitted to PCC in February 2017. Unfortunately, her health deteriorated fairly quickly. While she was able she thoroughly enjoyed participating in the many well organised activities that took place. We can only praise the care and attention she received from the manager and her dedicated team of carers. Everything possible was done to address health issues as they arose, regretfully my mother eventually required end of life care. We especially appreciate the dignity and respect that was shown to her and us as a family during her final days.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father spent the last few years at Plas Cwm Carw; up until he died over Christmas. I have always been happy with the care and kindness my father received there. He always looked well fed (he loved the food!), clean, occupied and happy. They made his last birthday special and were always welcoming to me when I visited. But it is the end-of-life care that I feel so grateful for. The nursing and caring staff (and their GP) were just wonderful; with dad, yes, but also with family members. We could not have wished for more. I would have no hesitation in recommending Plas Cwm Carw to anyone with the difficult job of looking for care for a loved one. To the manager and all staff at Plas Cwm Carw - your home is a credit to you.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has been a resident in Plas Cwm Carw since November 2012. I have peace of mind that she is well cared for and treated with consideration and kindness. All staff I have contact with are approachable and helpful from the manager, carers and administrator - they are all lovely.

I would recommend this home to anyone who was considering placing their relative here to live.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

I cannot express the gratitude that me and my family feel for the care provided by this home to my grandmother.

She received the best quality of person-centred care, the palliative care provided was excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

In the short time that my mum has been here, it has become my family home as well as my mum's. We have always been made welcome. My mum has had to receive end of life care which has been exemplary from start to finish. The care, compassion and tenderness was amazing to both of us from the staff and management, your teams are fantastic. Your home stands out from many others in the area and needs to be spoken loudly about. I hold a special place in my heart for you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff couldn't do more to reassure us as a family that mum was going to be in safe hands. The environment is caring, friendly and very nicely decorated. Mum was very happy and contented and we are very pleased and relieved that mum is in safe hands. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am pleased with the care my father receives and the dignified way he is treated. Standards of housekeeping and cleanliness are good.
There are regular programs of entertainment laid on which my father enjoys when he chooses to attend.
Any health issues are always dealt with promptly and efficiently.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Likely

I have nothing but admiration for all nurses and carers and all staff at Plas Cwm Carw and I thank you all for your efforts and dedication to duty.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

I would like to express my family's appreciation of the care my mother received in Plas Cwm Carw Care Home. During this period, my elderly mother lived there from September 2015 until her death in January 2017. My sister and I both live over 200 miles away and were able to visit at weekends only, but throughout my mother's residence, we felt completely confident that she was receiving excellent and above all kind and compassionate care from the staff there. Particularly in the final period when she was very frail and diminished, she was treated with kindness, sensitivity and respect. We are immensely grateful for the service.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

It is a pleasure to visit my mother. The staff are second to none always helpful and are amazing with residents. There are always activities going on and we can all join in. Mammy is happy and attends all activities and visits, she enjoys coffee morning at the Church they attend. The standard of care, food and hygiene is 10 out of 10. I have no complaints whatsoever.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father has been a resident at the home for several months during which time I have found the care and attention he has received to be of an excellent standard. The staff are very friendly and helpful to both the residents and family alike. They go "the extra mile" to get to know the person and help and encourage them to maintain a level of independence. Each person is treated with respect and dignity. The manager is extremely approachable and always available to have a chat. The decor is very homely with lots of thought having been given to making it a "home from home". I would highly recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home to anyone looking for a home of quality to care for their loved family member.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

Friendly and pleasant staff, good with the residents and make it a nice place to be.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

My dad has just started to stay at this home, the care has been great. Staff are excellent and the manager is a very special individual who always has the time to talk and shows concern.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

My cousin was a patient from March to September 2016. He was suffering from advanced dementia. The staff were very patient, kindly and responsible in their care. He was stimulated of his past life and they produced a very interesting book to give to his relatives. My cousin sadly passed away 6th September and the staff ensured his last days were peaceful and with dignity.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Likely

My mother has been at Plas Cwm Carw for 8 years. During that time, the home has gone from strength to strength. Recent renovation has made the home light and airy, a pleasant place to visit, however, the real strength lies in and the staff who are attentive, patient and eternally cheerful.
Experience over the year has only increased my confidence in the care she receives. I am regularly informed about her, she is happy in her environment and everything possible is done for her well-being and safety. I have visited several other care homes in recent years and remain convinced that Plas Cwm Carw is one of the best homes around.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mother's care is totally satisfactory but I am concerned about the very high cost.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Plas Cwm Carw Care Home responded to this review on 03 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.
We are very pleased that you are satisfied with your mother’s care at Plas Cwm Carw. We are sorry that you feel that the fees are high but we are competitive and believe that we provide a good value service. The costs of care have increased over the past year considerably and we have tried our very best to keep any fee increases to a minimum. The home manager would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns on an individual basis and operates an open door policy, please feel free to call in for a chat at any time.

Our mother passed away on Monday the 9th of May 2016. The care she received from the home was excellent. They were very supportive to us and provided us with sandwiches, cakes and lots of cups of tea, for the last two days of my mothers life, which was very much appreciated.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

In the 2 and a half years my mam has been at Plas Cwm Carw, I have not had any concerns about her care, all has been top rate, and I have peace of mind mam is well provided for.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff shortage due to staff member leaving, so not good at the moment.
Would like more music/singing/dancing to suit my father (dementia - age 94 - still mobile).
Would like garden to be used more for father (light planting/a shed).
Father is taken to coffee morning in local church which is the highlight of his week.
Plas Cwm has provided small keyboard for his use and encourage him to use it.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Plas Cwm Carw Care Home responded to this review on 31 Mar 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We are really pleased to hear that your Dad enjoys going out to the Church and playing the keyboard in the home. It’s great to hear you have more ideas about things your Dad would like to do and we’ll arrange for the activity coordinator to meet with you and make some plans. As we have a full staff team at present we’re not sure what you mean about staff shortages so perhaps you would like to meet with the home manager to discuss this in more detail – please feel free to pop in anytime.

I enjoy living at Plas Cwm Carw. My visitors are always made to feel welcome. I have made some new friends. I enjoy joining in all the activities and going out to the church, and the staff are very satisfactory. I enjoyed Christmas there very much, lovely Christmas lunch and lots of entertainment which I enjoyed very much.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

A comfortable happy house which I am happy to live in, I enjoy the choirs and the quiz.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Likely

The worry of my mother's illness has been greatly eased by the care and support both she and us, the family, have had from the care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have worked in quite a few care/residential homes including EMI units, and as far as I am concerned Plas Cwm Carw Care Home got the care ect spot on. So many homes get the residents up at 5/6am sit them in the lounge and just leave them there. No stimulation for the clients, the carers are not allowed to sit and talk or interact with the residents, TOTALLY WRONG! Plas Cwm Carw Care about their residents, spend time with them, sitting and talking to them. That is what caring should be. Brilliant

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff are all approachable and caring. Feel that it sometimes let itself down with cleaning rooms etc. Any problems reported have been dealt with in reasonable time and resolved. Good communication with staff and management. Actual care of my mother does depend on the experience of staff on duty - ranging from satisfactory to excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

My aunty was received into Plas Cwm Carw in the new year. Care was taken to settle her in and support her during this big change. Her room is very comfortable, as are the communal areas. The carers appear to be kind and attentive to her needs. It's early days, but so far we are very pleased.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very good care services by all staff every time we come to visit my sister, no complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Plas Cwm Carw Care Home? Extremely Likely

No complaints, very good catering in the facilities. My sister is well looked after.

Submit a Review for Plas Cwm Carw Care Home

posted 16 Apr 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

Sandra

Sandra Vernal

Introducing Sandra Vernal

Home Manager at Plas Cwm Carw Care Home, Port Talbot

What does ‘Kindness’ mean to you?

Mark Twain said; ‘Kindness was the language that allowed the blind to see and the deaf to hear’ it crosses all barriers. I would define kindness as going that extra mile for people and showing consideration for others in all of your actions.

I am a registered Mental Health Nurse with 30 years’ experience in caring for people in both the National Health Service and the Independent and Social Sector. I consider myself to be very fortunate in that, the career I chose many years ago, I still have a passion for and see it as a privilege to support individuals in maintaining a full and meaningful life.

I am a passionate leader who enjoys motivating my team to deliver the highest standard of care.
I have worked in a variety of clinical settings as both a Nurse and a Manager.

My last role in the Health Service was as a modern Matron, which involved working with families, monitoring and raising the standards of the ward environments as well as the quality of care. This has helped me in my current role at Plas Cwm Carw as Home Manager.

When asked what I enjoy most about my role, I would say, welcoming new Residents and their families to the home, getting to know them and helping them to settle into their new environment and life at the home.

Outside of work I like to relax by reading, shopping and enjoying a good movie, I am a bit of a science-fiction geek and proud of it!

If you would like to find out more information about Plas Cwm Carw Care Home, Sandra has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal chat.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Plas Cwm Carw Care Home