Field Lodge

London Road, St Ives PE27 5EX

Field Lodge is a purpose-built Care UK home on the outskirts of St Ives in Cambridgeshire. Field Lodge opened in February 2014 and is easily accessible from both the town centre and the A14. The care home aims to create a lively and welcoming atmosphere which residents will be able to enjoy.

Field Lodge is ideal for a wide range of care needs, including specialist nursing and residential care, and the care team are fully trained to provide care to meet the sometimes complex challenges of dementia care.

Care is based around personal interests and hobbies. There is a coffee shop, hair salon, nail bar and cinema on site.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Katie Wilkinson (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Cambridgeshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 72 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Near Public Transport • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Field Lodge: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Field Lodge is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 29 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Field Lodge in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.647 for Field Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (256 Excellents x 5) + (64 Goods x 4) + (20 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 346 Ratings = 4.647

The 4.903 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Field Lodge is based on 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14.4 positive Reviews (72 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 13 Reviews ÷ 14.4 Target = 0.903

9.6 Field Lodge has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.550) from 29 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Field Lodge?

Reviewer Connection to Field Lodge

Field Lodge has exceeded my expectations as a care home. When I took my uncle to stay at Field Lodge the staff were and are very supportive. They are all very caring and despite some of my uncle’s challenging behaviour they care for him, and I believe really love him. It is wonderful for me and the rest of the family to entrust my Dear Uncle in your tender and loving care. Thank you so much for everything.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

The facilities at Field Lodge are good. There are activities going on quite frequently. Staff are friendly. Food is good with a variety of choices. However, I feel some aspects need improvement, Mum's personal hygiene is not good enough. Showers are hardly ever given, just body washes. The room is kept fairly tidy. The bathroom needs a lot of improvement hygiene wise.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Field Lodge responded to this review on 11 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review of Field Lodge care home and for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad to hear that you have witnessed our full activities schedule. The lifestyle team support residents to continue with their own hobbies and interests, with daily activities that residents can choose from. It is also great to hear that the food is of good quality and that you feel that there is a choice for residents.

With regards to your comments about care quality and the cleanliness of the home, I am very sorry to hear these have not been meeting your expectations. I understand that the home manager is aware of your family’s concerns and has met with some members to come up with an action plan to address these issues; however, should you want to discuss anything in further detail please contact the home manager who will be more than happy to speak with you.

When I first made contact with the home, the management team at the time were exceptionally helpful, understanding and extremely skilled at handling difficult personal situations. They made a transition in lifestyles as painless as it could be. The staff, particularly the team leaders are generally outstanding and do their very best to ensure a safe and loving environment. The staff from the team leader down cannot be faulted for their dedication.
The lifestyle lead is a great credit to the home and puts a huge effort into meeting the resident's wishes. The reception staff always make you feel welcome. The food is varied and good. The car park is too small and crockery could be cleaned better.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Likely

Noticeably over the last year, the care home has declined rapidly since the change of manager. Although the staff still are attentive to my mother, they have less time as there is so fewer staff. How 2 staff can be expected to cope with 11 beds is beyond me. There seems a weekly exodus of staff which for Mum in her condition is very confusing.

I have also been waiting for 4 days for an email reply from the manager about serious concerns I have raised about my mother which to date I have still not received.

Overall the caring staff you have are great but I am worried how long this will last as the numbers are dwindling.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Unlikely

Amy Wilson, AD at Field Lodge responded to this review on 02 Jan 2018:

Hi Susan,
Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback. I am very sorry to hear that we have not been meeting your expectations of late, and even more so, that our process for responding to your feedback has fallen down in this instance. I have been working with the home manager, to look into your specific concerns regarding your mother’s care and if you haven’t already, I would encourage you to pick up with her directly when next you are in the home. Regarding your comments below, I know that we have seen some changes in the team in the last few months, but looking at our rotas, I can assure you that we have always had each suite staffed to a safe and appropriate level. More importantly though, we have now recruited some fantastic new colleagues which should stabilise the team again over the coming months. Either the home manager or I would be very happy to talk this through with you in more detail. I am confident we can address your concerns between us, but if you would like to raise a more formal complaint at any point, you can find details of how to do so on our website.
Kind regards.

My mother has been a resident since November 2015. She was in a poor state of mind and health when she first came in but over the two years she has been there she has improved dramatically. I put her massive improvement down to all the care and attention that all the staff have shown my mother. I honestly think that had she still been living on her own she certainly would have died in 2015.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

My mother has recently moved to Field Lodge after a long stay in hospital. The staff went to a lot of trouble to ensure that her transition was as smooth as possible under the circumstances. She has a lovely well-equipped room and everything is spotlessly clean. The staff also helped us as a family to cope with this new stage in our mum's life.
We were very impressed with lots of little personal touches, such as a welcome card for my mum. We are slowly meeting the staff who care for Mum and all of them have been very warm and professional.
There is an excellent choice of tasty and fresh food at every meal. Field Lodge has first-rate facilities and a wide range of activities for the many residents. There is a welcoming buzz from when you first enter the door.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Whilst my Mother seems comfortable and cared for there have been some issues regarding care and cleanliness. Bath/showers are not often enough. I have asked these to be at least every 2/3 days for someone with incontinence. This is of vital importance and ideally, should be daily.
I don't blame the staff but rather the need for more, 2 carers for a unit of 11 residents is NOT enough and those that think this is adequate should spend a day on the unit themselves.
The carers are very good with Mum but I have noticed turnover of staff increasing recently which is quite worrying and heard inadvertently of staff dissatisfaction with management, hours and pay.
The work they do is extremely taxing both physically and mentally but as is the usual case those at the coalface get paid the least.
When Mum first came to Field Lodge, the previous manager and customer relations, I must say both had a much more hands-on approach and in general, the whole atmosphere of Field Lodge was better then.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Likely

Thank you for your comments and positive scores on facilities, care, activities and staff. We appreciate all feedback and take concerns raised very seriously. Regarding staffing levels, I would like to assure you we do a full dependency analysis for each resident, which is used to plan staff deployment accordingly to make sure care is safe and appropriate for each resident’s needs, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

I know that we have seen changes in the team recently and we can confirm that we have now recruited some fantastic new colleagues, which should provide even more stability over coming months. With regards to your comments about your mother’s personal care, I understand that the home manager is aware of your concerns and has met with you personally to come up with an action plan to address these. Thank you again for taking the time to share your views and please do not hesitate to contact the home if you wish to discuss this matter further.

Excellent service and care for my mother and the family at a very difficult time. This nursing home for my mother was the only one that we would consider for her in terms of her needs and expectations.
The staff have all been amazing looking after Mum and also take the family's needs into the equation when traveling long distances. We cannot thank them enough for their care and concern.
The property is kept extremely well, smells fresh and clean and furnishings are all modern and fit for purpose.
Would highly recommend this nursing home to anyone requiring first class care. Thanks to all the team for keeping my mum safe and allowing her the dignity she so deserves.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Very happy with the level of care given. The staff are friendly and quite willing to help us with questions. One concern I have is I asked for weight to be done, as my mother-in-law seemed to be loosing weight and was generally under the weather. This did not happen and I had to ask again.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Recently, having to place my father into care, it was really important he was in the best place for him and me.

After looking at a number of homes in the Huntingdon area this, in my opinion, was the best with only one other getting anywhere near in terms of homeliness and quality staff. First impressions count and we were not disappointed here either with our first and subsequent meetings with the home manager.

Since placing my father at Field Lodge and having met all the staff we find visiting a pleasure, no one could be more helpful and caring.

Thank you Field Lodge.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

I had looked at several care homes before my visit to Field Lodge and none of them came anywhere near the standards of this beautiful home. The decision to have my husband cared for by others was the hardest I have ever taken but was made easier by the help, support and care for both of us by the caring staff at Field Lodge. It is so much more than I could ever have hoped for.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Welcoming, clean, modern dementia care home. Staff helpful and supportive. They have lots of patience and understanding of my mother's Dementia needs. Plenty of activities and opportunity to visit lots of familiar places that my mother remembers.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

The building is only about 3 years old. As such it is very well designed and is maintained in good condition. However, the main strength of Field Lodge is the excellence of the staff. There is a strong emphasis on training and the staff have a wonderful attitude to care.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

The family were anxious for Mum's welfare when we could no longer cope with her needs. However, we now know how fortunate we have been in finding Field Lodge. Mum is safe and well cared for and we can visit anytime at all.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

I find Field Lodge a very friendly and welcoming home. Staff - carers, receptionists, housekeepers are all so nice.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in Field Lodge approaching three years.
Her dementia is very bad, but the care she has received at Field Lodge has been fantastic. We do not have to worry about anything. She is treated with great dignity.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Satisfied with care received, always made welcome and kept mostly up to date with any problems. Partner well cared for and treated with dignity even though he does not know this himself. I feel very happy with all his care.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Field Lodge is the most fantastic care home. From the moment you enter the home, you are greeted by the most welcoming staff. My friend has been in Field Lodge for 2 years and has been cared for so well by such caring and helpful staff who always have a smile. I could not wish for better care.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Field Lodge is much more than a wonderful place for older people to 'retire' to; it is a place that welcomes all the family of its residents and pays attention to their needs too. The facilities are excellent. The cafe area is a particularly lovely space for all and provides tea and coffee, biscuits and cake on tap all day long, which after a long drive up the motorway is most welcome.
All the staff are exceptionally kind and compassionate and my father is being looked after with dignity and kindness. There is plenty of laughter here. There is plenty of wisdom too.
The staff are knowledgeable and can guide you through all the complexities of the practicalities of organising end of life care.
We also have had 1:1 sessions with nursing staff to help us prepare for the journey ahead, how we can understand what is happening with my father and how to support him emotionally. We feel incredibly reassured that my father is being looked after to the highest standards.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

From the moment of enquiry the staff at Field Lodge have been nothing but amazing! So kind and helpful, really making the whole process of moving my father so much easier than expected. The standard of care has been outstanding from the minute he arrived, and in less than 24 hours we could see my father was a happier man. The staff have acted incredibly quickly to ensure my dad has contact with the speciality teams needed and I feel confident that he is safe and being looked after to such a high standard. Most importantly, he is being treated with such dignity and respect. As a family, we have been welcomed into the home as much as my father. I honestly cannot fault Field Lodge and the care that they provide - other care homes should look to set themselves to this standard!

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Staff were friendly and caring. Always helpful and keen to please. Visitors were always made welcome at any time. Help was provided to transfer some home comforts to my room; and when I returned home all possible help was given. It came as close to providing a home like atmosphere as was possible. I and my family look back on them all with warm gratitude.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

What can I say...? The most amazing care home in the world!!....I cared for my mum for 10 years and always thought no home would be good enough for her...I was wrong! Field Lodge is the most caring, well staffed and run, beautiful home for my mum to spend the last time of her life...I will never be able to thank and praise all the staff from managers to cleaners enough!! Amazing! xx

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Very impressed by all levels of staff at Field Lodge. Everyone is always very friendly, caring and accommodating - nothing is ever a problem. My aunt has dementia and has flourished since moving into Field Lodge, enjoying the many activities the home provides. The quality of care the home provides is outstanding. I would not hesitate to recommend Field Lodge to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

My son was in this wonderful place for such a short time recently. He was there for palliative care, but he got much more. They all couldn't do enough for him (and his family). The staff were very caring and nothing was too much trouble. He died there recently with dignity, and the care was excellent. We will be forever grateful to them for their total commitment, given freely.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Just moved from another nursing home to have her closer to us since my dad pass away. From the very first visit, the welcome from all at Field Lodge was so friendly and warm. The process of moving mum was made as stress free as possible with the team as Field Lodge doing most of the work. Since mum moved in it's felt like she's been there forever! Everyone from office staff to care staff, chefs and housekeepers are so happy to help and made it so easy for mum to settle in. Its like she's come alive since being there and her quality of life has been transformed.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

On first visit was very impressed by the building and care shown by the staff in all aspects. After dad moved in I have been very impressed by the care given to my dad by all the staff from domestic to carers, nurses and management. He settled well and I am confident he is safe in his new home. The food is also amazing more like a hotel.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

My wife needed to move to be nearer to family from Warwickshire to Cambridgeshire. Field Lodge had just opened but we were impressed with the services and staff. My wife has vascular dementia, but was made to feel welcome with full nursing service being provided. Her special needs were well catered for and the staff have always been caring and helpful. I would have no reservations about recommending this care home to future residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

Since the moment my nana moved into Field Lodge my family couldn't wish for better care. My nana said daily how marvellous everyone was, and that she never knew places like Field Lodge existed. Every person who cared for my nana did so with compassion and respect we cannot thank all enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Field Lodge? Extremely Likely

I was a temporary resident at Field Lodge due to having to leave my home for building repairs. I rather dreaded the experience but it became a most happy time and was quite sad when I had to return home. I would be quite content to consider becoming a permanent resident should I become unable to care for myself.

Submit a Review for Field Lodge

December 2017

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Field Lodge