Abbotswood Court, Romsey, Hampshire

Set in stunning landscaped gardens, Abbotswood Court is a new, modern care home with meticulous attention to detail and spacious en-suite rooms.

Their caring people always put residents’ needs first to make every day happy, comfortable and fulfilled.

There are attractive and cosy communal areas for residents and their families to enjoy, a full social activities calendar and professionally produced menus to encourage eating and drinking.

Long-term care, day care and respite stays available. CQC rated 'Good' in October 2017.

Group: Cinnamon Care Collection

Person in charge: Gemma Ridout-Bowden (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hampshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 60 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Younger Adults

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Access via Braishfield Road, follow yellow directional signage, or via Chivers Road, Abbotswood off Sandy Lane.

Open house visiting, meal times 12.30pm & 5pm.

The Home's car park or on road parking outside is available.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Abbotswood Court: click here

9.5 Abbotswood Court has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.537)

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Abbotswood Court is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 25 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Abbotswood Court in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.62 for Abbotswood Court is calculated as follows: ( (194 Excellents x 5) + (87 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 292 Ratings = 4.62

The 4.917 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Abbotswood Court is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 12 Target = 0.917

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Abbotswood Court?

Reviewer Connection to Abbotswood Court

I had two weeks stay at Abbotswood Court with my husband who has Alzheimer's and whom I have been caring for at home.
This proved to be a great 'holiday' for me whilst he was being cared for by an extremely caring group of carers, in an extremely comfortable and modern home with many organised activities. Although my husband was unable to participate in these and therefore spent most of the time sleeping in the chair and things were obviously confusing for him.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

We have been very impressed in a very short space of time, with all levels of staff we have met. Everyone has been very friendly and helpful, but also professional in their approach a great deal of thought has gone into the design and ethos of the care home, especially in dealing with residents who have dementia. We feel this is being extremely well cared for in a happy and safe environment, where she is positively encouraged to join in activities, giving her much needed stimulation. If we are unable to continue to care for her at home. This is the next best place.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

I enjoyed the activities very much. The carers were very caring and pleasant. The food was great.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

My mother went in for two weeks respite care, however in that time they managed to lose half her clothes, laundry items weren't always tagged, inventory list went missing so she came home without many of her belongings.
It also came to light that they had managed to change her surgery and medical notes without my knowledge, even though they were aware that I had power of attorney. Consequently, my mother almost ran out of medication, so my mothers stay there was just one catalogue of errors.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Unlikely

Management: Poor

Debbie Holmes, H A A at Abbotswood Court responded to this review on 20 Jun 2017:

Dear Janet, thank you for your review. We are thrilled to see that despite the late return of your mum's laundry you were kind enough to give us a great review. I know our general manager has been in touch under separate cover, but just to re-iterate that we are sorry that there seemed to be a misunderstanding between the surgeries and ourselves and glad to hear that this and the laundry have all been cleared up. Once again thank you for your kind review scores.

Care and consideration from all staff excellent, treated with respect from each and everyone, their patience was endless.
Altogether a pleasant stay of two weeks respite.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

The past year I have visited my friend at the care home twice a week and I am always met by the friendly staff; from the receptionist to the cleaners. I am very impressed by the carers in charge of the activities, which sometimes I sit in on, such as the trip to the garden centre two weeks ago which I was invited to go, everyone was treated with care and respect. The carers waited on everyone with tea and cake, it was a lovely afternoon sitting in the spring sunshine. All went back to the care home happy.

These carers are so dedicated to their job, keeping the residents happy and involved, playing scrabble and word games etc. I have also experienced the food which is very good. I have had lunch and cream tea at home, and I often have a cup tea with my friend, when visiting her.

I would recommend this care home to anyone, first class!!
Everywhere is clean and well kept including the gardens.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

I am still enjoying my stay here (thank goodness). There is usually activities of some description and outings, which breaks up the monotony of doing nothing. There has been quite a lot to look forward to and enjoyment, with thanks to the hard working helpers.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

I am very well cared for in this home, altogether a happy experience.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Likely

I went into Abbotswood Court for respite care after being in hospital for five days due to extreme stress. The accommodation was wonderful as wee the staff and management team. Although living local I had no knowledge of daytime activities as I was able to go back home during the daytime. I had breakfast and evening meals at the home which I enjoyed. If I had to use Abbotswood Court again I would have no hesitation.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

Abbotswood Court is first class. The rooms are bright, clean and comfortable. The lounge areas are a nice place to relax to get away from your room for a change of scenery. All the staff are very friendly and caring. Nothing is too much trouble, however, big or small. The food is excellent with lots of variety each day. I have a few food allergies and they have accommodated me really well. All my meals have been really nice. Overall, I would recommend this care home to anyone who wants to feel at home. I will miss this place when I leave and all the staff. Thank you for making my stay pleasurable.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

My 90-year-old mother moved to Abbotswood in October after finding life more and more difficult to cope with at home. The change in her has been quite dramatic. The responsibility of day to day living and decision making has been removed and she has reverted to her old self. Her pain has remarkably reduced too.
The staff are lovely, so kind and considerate, to both residents and families. Her great grandchildren love visiting her there and are quite at home, going to get their drinks and waving at all the residents they see, engaging in conversation with quite a few of them.
We have all been given a new lease of life and we can't thank you enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

I enjoyed my short stay at Abbotswood Court and felt well looked after. The staff were pleasant but sometimes they were clearly overstretched. Sometimes the handover between night and day staff didn't work properly - I was waiting for a bath for almost two hours and had to give up because I had a session booked. It was nice to have a manicure and a hairstyle. Socialising with the other residents was enjoyable and the staff helped to make sure nobody was isolated.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Likely

Both mum and the family have been extremely pleased with the respite care provided by Abbotswood Court.
They've managed to cope with mums Alzheimers, her special dietary & medication requirements, enabling the family to relax knowing she was being cared for in a friendly, relaxing and safe environment.
This was mum's second holiday at Abbotswood and we are planning for her to visit again in 2017

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

A modern, well-designed facility with excellent wheelchair access. The ensuite rooms large and well furnished. The kitchen staff are excellent and bearing in mind the demographic of the residents in general provide and excellent service with a good choice at each meal a full English breakfast through a two course lunch and a three-course light supper.
The staff and the atmosphere in general it's friendly and happy. I've only been here for an 8 weeks rehabilitation stay, but have no doubt about recommending this place to anyone it is one of the best care homes I have ever seen.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

I came in for respite are after becoming old and frail and suffering a fall around midnight and having to press my lifeline, as I was unable to move and suffer from osteoporosis. I broke my right hip less than two years ago most of my other joints are swollen and very painful and I am unable to live at home alone.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Likely

It's like a 5* hotel, every mod con. A good library room and separate television lounge. The building is new and well laid out. There are activities to do, very well organised. Staff are all very good, both with conversation and actions. An excellent rest home!e

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Likely

Our mother recently stayed at Abbotswood Court, during her first respite stay, for 11 days. My sister and brother-in-law had put the research work in as I live a fair distance away. They reported all that I wanted to hear before we booked.
From the booking being confirmed, through the pre-visit meeting to the first day everything that they had reported happened exactly as we were promised. They handled every detail of our mother's and our concerns and had clearly briefed all staff.
During the stay my sister was largely out of contact so it was especially important that I was able to communicate with our mother with ease. I was given full contact details for all key personnel who responded quickly if needed - however, I rarely needed to ask any questions.
I was able to call daily with ease, speak to a welcoming receptionist who would find our mum quickly handing her either a portable phone or connecting to the one in her room. Everyone was exceptionally friendly and kind.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

Our mother has recently had her first 'short stay' / respite period in Abbotswood Court. I cannot speak highly enough of the total experience.
From the initial enquiries, the pre visit meeting, throughout the stay and departure everything has been of an excellent standard. The facilities are superb, the ethos ideal and all the staff friendly, thoughtful and experienced.
I would not hesitate to use again and high recommend to others.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

I found the care home most satisfying in every way. The staff are kind and cheerful and the food first class.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

Following a hospital stay and reduced mobility, my mum stayed for 2 weeks respite. The staff were great, encouraging independence and confidence. Being able to make her own tea/coffee whenever she wanted made her feel like she was in her own home. The rooms are a really good size, although she also said the bed was quite hard! The accessibility to physio whilst she was there really help her to achieve her goal of going back to her own home. All this came at a cost, but worth it. The chef made a genuine effort to meet her dietary requirements. She has said she would be happy to return if she needed to. A real endorsement!

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

Clean, tidy, staff are excellent, considerate and helpful. Most of all, mum is happy, well cared for and content. I would and have recommended this home to friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

My aunt spent three months at Abbotswood recuperating after a serious illness, as an inpatient with the neuro-rehabilitation team. The Abbotswood team were responsive, caring, helpful and expert. I felt my aunt was in safe hands and that nothing was too much trouble. The team worked with patience, sensitivity and skill, encouraging my aunt so that she made a great recovery whilst staying at Abbotswood. It's lovely, spacious, bright building with an upbeat, attractive feel.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

The Home took great care of Mum while allowing her to regain some personal well-being. They were attentive to her needs & monitored her medication & safety, while unsteady on her feet. The environment was clean & tidy, fresh & airy. The attitude to the staff was attentive to both Mum's needs & our concerns. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were clean & tidy although Mum felt the bed was a bit uncomfortable! Food was adequate & enough for a limited appetite.
All in all we felt it lived up to our expectations & hope & was just what Mum needed after a spell in hospital.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

A new experience. A good experience. All managers and staff were extremely good for my one week respite care.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbotswood Court? Extremely Likely

I have found staying at Abbotswood Court relaxing and comfortable.

Submit a Review for Abbotswood Court

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Abbotswood Court

Gemma

Gemma Ridout-Bowden

Joined: 2012

Gemma has been a part of the Hartford Care family since April 2012. She started her career with the company as Home Manager of Bethel House in Barton-on-Sea and after 2 years she became the General Manager at Sunnybank House. In February 2015, she was appointed as Manager at Abbotswood Court.

Gemma's background covers 19 years in the care sector and she holds her NVQ Level 4 in Health and Social Care and her Leadership and Management award.

Agnieszka

Agnieszka Gierek

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2013

Agnieszka was appointed as Deputy Manager at Abbotswood Court in May 2015.

Agnieszka started her career in the Health Care sector over 8 years ago and was delighted to join the Hartford Care family as Head of Care Woodlands House before becoming Deputy Manager at Abbotswood.

Debbie

Debbie Holmes

Job Title: Home Admissions Advisor

Joined: 2015

Debbie Holmes was delighted to join the Abbotswood Court team as Home Admissions Advisor in September 2015.

Her role is to help people when making their decision about residential care, introducing them to the fabulous team and experiencing what is often their first encounter of this sort of lifestyle.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Abbotswood Court