Barchester Oaklands Care Home

Bottisham, Cambridge CB25 9BX

Barchester Oaklands Care Home makes the most of pleasant grounds and a versatile interior to provide top quality nursing and residential care, with professionals available round-the-clock and also skilled in care and support for physical disabilities and dementia.

A committed team work hard to ensure that all provision is tailored to the individual, while allowing them to make the most of a relaxed and homely atmosphere.

All staff are carefully chosen and well-qualified to achieve the best standards, with the company philosophy focusing on an attentive service that also supports an active lifestyle. Personal interests are encouraged and there is much to enjoy within the life of the home.

The aim is to meet all residents’ needs over the long-term, living up to a reputation for quality that Barchester homes have earned.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Geanina Tinca (General Site Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Cambridgeshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 54 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): German, Polish, Shona, Tagalog, Turkish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester Oaklands Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Oaklands Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Oaklands Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.49 for Barchester Oaklands Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (156 Excellents x 5) + (66 Goods x 4) + (21 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 249 Ratings = 4.49

The 4.463 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Oaklands Care Home is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10.8 positive Reviews (54 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 10.8 Target = 0.463

9 Barchester Oaklands Care Home has a Review Score of 9 (8.953) from 21 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Oaklands Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Oaklands Care Home

My father came into Elm Unit in December 2015. The home is lovely and clean and the carers are amazing. They are so friendly and looked after my father so well. They became like family to us and we can't praise and thank them enough.
The problem is with the management. We decided to move my father to a home nearer to us as it used to take 45/50 mins to get to him. As soon as we gave notice they became distant and told the carers we weren't happy with their care which is totally wrong. On the day my father left, no one from the management came out to say goodbye and we haven't heard from them since to see if he has settled. They were more concerned about making the home look nice, decorating all the time instead of looking after their staff, as there were often not many carers around as they were often short staffed.
The new home my father went to was amazing, unfortunately, my father passed away 4 weeks ago and management at the new home couldn't have been more caring.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Oaklands Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Right from when my relative entered Oaklands, staff at all levels have been friendly, courteous and most helpful to my brother and our family. Nothing was too much trouble, any of my concerns about my brother were dealt with promptly, professionally, be received excellent care.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Oaklands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Geanina Tinca, General Manager at Barchester Oaklands Care Home responded to this review on 18 Jan 2018:

Thank you so much for such warm and lovely words about our home.

My Mum has been at Oaklands since the end of January, we are very happy with the care she receives. The carers are kind and loving. The room Mum has is light and airy, we have placed Mum's picture and some of her ornaments around, so it contains familiar things. Because of her Dementia Mum has not always been easy to manage, which I believe is often an issue with this illness, but the staff have always been kind and considerate, even in the mist of challenging behaviour, they keep us informed of what is going on, and have worked closely with the local GP etc. to help find solutions and the best way of dealing with Mum.
I am very happy that we were able to get Mum into Oaklands, nobody wants to have to have a loved one in a care home, but Oaklands has made all the difficulties and, especially the settling in process, as easy as possible, they have been of support to me, as well as my Mum. I would happily recommend this home to anyone.

Your care home is exceptional not only are your staff superb but it is so lovely and clean everywhere.

Our experience here has been very good. We have been kept up to date on everything to do with mum. She has been treated with so much care.

Oaklands offers a good safe environment and residents are well looked after.
Staff are very helpful and keep us updated.

Reception is welcoming. Whole home is clean, well furnished and care for. The bedroom is a good size as is the ensuite. The lounge area is comfortable. My mum always sits on the settee which is a bit isolated but that is her choice. Staff are pleasant and welcoming. Meals look good and varied. My mum is a new resident so we are still in the learning stage.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Oaklands Care Home? Likely

Management were very helpful when I required urgent respite care for my mother. Mother settled quickly and thoroughly enjoyed the activities. Mum received excellent nursing care and I had no worries or concerns about her care and felt the staff took a holistic approach to meet her needs.

Amongst the sadness of losing my dear dad was a sadness, knowing we would no longer be going into the fabulous Maple Unit. Where for the last 3-4 years, we had all been supported and cared for by the staff.
It wasn't all plain sailing, but since the change in management to the current manager the issues or concerns we had were dealt with quickly, professionally and with sensitivity and care. My family is so grateful to all the staff at Oaklands and they will always hold a special place in our hearts. Thank you so much for caring for our dad and making such a difficult time in our lives more bearable and giving us some truly lovely memories to hold on to. Thank you! x

My father lived the last few weeks of his life in the home. The staff are dedicated, sympathetic and they did everything they could to help Dad with his last needs and wishes. When they could have sent him back to hospital, they preferred to keep him at the home. They helped both him and me a great deal. The manager knows the residents and their families well and the office is efficient. The only issue for us was the laundry 'eating' clothing, but this seemed to improve.

When I first visited Oaklands I couldn't believe how perfect it would be for my close friend. As the months have gone by and watching how wonderful the staff are with both residents and family just proves the initial feelings were correct and that Oaklands even exceeded the first impressions. The wards are always clean and tidy. The staff are brilliant. The carers are amazing, always coming up with suggestions to make my friend's life more comfortable. This communication is utmost as we like to know what is needed and what is happening when we are not there. We could not be happier with the care and attention that is given every single day.

I found the care home to be a clean, pleasant place with very supportive, helpful and caring staff. My father suffered with a severe form of Alzheimers which made caring for him very difficult, however, the carers always treated him with dignity whenever possible. I would highly recommend this care home, Maple Unit in particular.

The home is spacious, open and clean and modern. The facilities are good. Rooms are large with everything necessary provided. Care is obviously variable because of a large number of staff required and the turnaround of staff, although the stability of staff seems to have settled recently. The effort was made with activities although I thought these were sometimes condescending - not something I would want when I am older. People's individual taste are not considered. The only negative point I would make is the loss of personal possessions e.g. a wheelchair! glasses and occasionally clothes swapped for others. Care from some of the staff is exceptional.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Oaklands Care Home? Likely

My father passed away on 22/8/16 having spent 2 years and 7 months in the home. During this time my father was happy and comfortable as could be expected. The staff were caring and attentive but often under extreme pressure due to the lack of numbers and management changes.

As a frequent visitor to the home, I always felt welcome and knew that my father was secure and well looked after by all the staff in the unit. It was obvious that the majority of the carers performed from their heart.
My husband and brother endorse the comments made.

Mother-in-Law disturbed, restless and acting very oddly - moved to new care home - not a single problem. Clothes ruined! Lost 50% of clothes, 100% underwear, teeth and hearing aids. Room constantly smelled of urine. Communication poor. Terrible value for money. Moved to Norfolk for £500 a week less and care 1000% better. Nothing has been lost, she is happy, content, easy. Would never recommend this care home to anyone.

Tom Holloway, Senior Digital Marketing Executive at Barchester Oaklands Care Home responded to this review on 08 Nov 2016:

Thank you for your review, however I understand your review relates to May 2016, as this is when your mother in law was moved. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the care, as we understood from the family, through discussions and the notice letter that you were indeed very happy. We also understand that this issue with the laundry, was brought to our attention, and addressed and resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. If this has been misunderstood, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us directly.

I could not have found a better home for my husband of forty years any where. The staff and management are wonderful, and the home is excellent.

Although the surroundings and facilities in this home are all excellent, there is something else which sets it apart from many others. The loving care, patience and understanding of everyone who works there is way above any standards required; and the devotion to the residents at all times and friendliness to the visitors makes Oaklands a very happy and peaceful place.

We are very lucky to have a room in this unit because overall is a breath of fresh air. Since changing of senior staff/management I think everybody works harder and are more willing because they work as a team and a happy team. I have people employed by me and I understand how important it is to keep the staff happy and content. I found the level of understanding is excellent the staff are capable and caring and able to cope with the difficult challenges.

The care home is clean and well furnished. Rooms are large and all en suite. My aunt has been a resident for seven and a half years and has always been well cared for. On this occasion she was drinking tea and biscuits but not very verbally communicative due to dementia. The staff all pleasant and hard working and on this occasion spoke good clear English. They are labouring well despite having no unit or care centre manager at the moment. The man in charge of the unit was calm and allowed me time to discuss my Aunts needs and problems. I left assured they are doing a good job despite difficult conditions.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Oaklands Care Home? Likely

1st class happy, positive place who show excellent nursing care.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Oaklands Care Home? Likely

My mother, who had severe dementia, spent the last four and a half years of her life in Oakland's Elms Avenue. The care given to her, and the support given to me, was always superb. The large purpose designed bedrooms, multiple lounges, rural setting and garden landscaping are very pleasant, but it is the staff who really make the home outstanding; not just those officially involved in front line care (who are great) but also catering staff, cleaners, back office staff, etc who all treat the residents with a kindness, friendliness, affection and respect that goes way beyond mere duty.
Having looked at a large number of other homes before my mother went to Oaklands, and spoken to other relatives who had experience of other places, I'd be very surprised if there was a better home in the area, or possibly any area.

Submit a Review for Barchester Oaklands Care Home

posted 09 May 2018

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

Geanina

Geanina Tinca

Job Title: General manager

Joined: 2017

Geanina was appointed general manager of Oaklands Care Home in May 2017. She has over 10 years’ experience in the nursing profession, most of which has been assisting the elderly. She is very approachable and understands the importance of offering clients a “home from home” atmosphere, paying particular attention to the little things that make a difference to the lives of those living in the home. Her door is always open, even if only for a cup of coffee and a chat.

Jane

Jane Kennedy

Job Title: Administrator

Joined: 2009

Jane joined Oaklands as a receptionist in 2009. She began taking on Administrative roles within the Company and now holds the post of Administrator, leading a team of Administrative Assistants.

Cristina

Cristina Monville

Job Title: Senior Clinical Nurse

Joined: 2004

Cristina's main role is to continue to strive and deliver the high standards of care at Oaklands. Her role is diverse and includes supporting and empowering all the staff, nurses and care assistants (day and night) that work at Oaklands Care Home.

John

John Wayman

Job Title: Head Chef

Joined: 2008

John provides a high standard of dining for all of our residents here at Oaklands, catering for all of their dietary requirements. Barchester prides itself on using only fresh ingredients and John enhances this by sourcing local and seasonal produce which is freshly prepared.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Oaklands Care Home