Devonshire House

High Street, Cavendish, Sudbury CO10 8AS

Devonshire House is located in the pretty village of Cavendish with riverside views, providing quality care and luxurious facilities within a comfortable and relaxing environment. The home is equipped with stunning facilities for customers to enjoy such as a large conservatory space and cosy quiet lounges, whilst original features such as inglenook fireplaces and beamed ceilings have been preserved.

The home, operated by Anchor, provides residential care which is personally tailored to meet the individual needs of customers and enhance their quality of life. Anchor work with customers and their loved ones to create detailed care plans to ensure each individual’s health and care needs are continually met. Anchor provide dementia care and offer on-going training to care staff to ensure their approach always reflects best practice.

Anchor was voted one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Not-for-Profit Organisations to work for in 2016. They are one of England’s largest providers of housing and care for those aged over 55 years and have more than 40 years’ experience as a not-for-profit provider of services to older people. Anchor reinvest the money they make into retirement properties and care homes, to continually raise standards to provide a high-quality service to surpass customer’s expectations.

Group: Anchor

Person in charge: Lesley Boyland (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Suffolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 69 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Lift • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Devonshire House is situated close to local services and amenities including:

Local shops and churches are within a short walk.
There is a doctor's surgery within 2 miles of Devonshire House.
The nearest hospital is West Suffolk Hospital which is within 11 miles.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Devonshire House: click here

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Devonshire House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.9 out of 5 from 42 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Devonshire House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.0 out of 5 from 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.865 for Devonshire House is calculated as follows: ( (442 Excellents x 5) + (43 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 496 Ratings = 4.865

The 4.04 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Devonshire House is based on 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.75

2. Target of 13.8 positive Reviews (69 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 4 Reviews ÷ 13.8 Target = 0.290

8.9 Devonshire House has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.905) from 42 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Devonshire House?

Reviewer Connection to Devonshire House

Staff are amazing, always busy, talking and reacting with residents. Lots of activities, very willing to answer questions. Good food, tea at any time.
I can go in the home at any time unannounced so it's always the same standard.
Excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Devonshire House provided excellent care for my mother over a 4.5year period.
They have an extremely good system called 'elderly and frail' and 'Dementia' units
They also manage this very competently and this is a real skill which I seriously appreciate.
My mother spent about 50% of her time in each unit. The care in the dementia unit was incredible under very difficult conditions.
The care in the elderly and frail unit was more challenging.
The unending patience, love and devotion shown by the carers was outstanding.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Our family were delighted with the care given to my uncle in the last few years of his life at Devonshire House. The staff were professional and friendly.
When very near the end of his life, the staff made every effort to ensure he was comfortable and never left alone for long.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Very comfortable, staff charming, nice place. I shall definitely be coming back.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My father spent 2 weeks in the Ryder (dementia) ward at Devonshire House. He died there at the end of January 2017.
During those final days, the staff on the ward were magnificent, incredibly thoughtful, exceptionally caring and all doing their very best in difficult circumstances. I can't thank them enough.
My mother is now also at Devonshire House, where she has settled in very well and again, although in a different content, is receiving excellent care.
Devonshire House is a most impressive establishment.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

I recently visited a good old friend of mine as I just found out where he moved to. What an outstanding place. We were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, he looked so well cared for. Best I'd seen him in a long while!

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My husband has been in Devonshire House for two years. The home is amazing and has a really homely feel.
The staff care towards those living with dementia is incredible, also to the families.
We have received so much support from everyone.
The management and the staff are a credit to the home.
My family and myself will never be able to thank Devonshire House enough for all they have done for my husband.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My wife moved to Devonshire House in mid-December 2016 following the closure of the care home that she was in. It was quite a stressful few days leading up to the move but the staff at Devonshire House could not have been better. My wife looks much more relaxed and content. I can't praise the staff enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

All the staff including management are polite, friendly and caring. They always know how my mum is doing and where she is when I visit. The communication I have received about mums health has been excellent and during a recent illness, because I had asked to be informed I was even phoned during the night. The whole place is incredibly clean and there is a lovely atmosphere in Devonshire House. Mum's room is lovely and as she can't be in her own home this is the best place to be.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Extremely helpful and caring. No complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

All the ladies are really lovely caring people. They will do anything for you. I am really pleased about how they have looked after my Mum. I have had no worries about leaving her here. They are all up for a laugh as well. The home is such a lovely place with beautiful gardens to walk around. I must mention the chef whose cooking is brilliant. Just caring all round, not one bad thing to say.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Talking outside after our first visit to Devonshire House, my wife, son and I were in complete agreement that this place had a good friendly atmosphere. Very approachable staff and didn't give the impression of just another 'old people's home'.
I must have visited nearly every other day during my mothers stay with you. I can only repeat what I have said above. The home was a pleasure to visit, mother seemed contented - she loved the gardens and we were happy for her.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Very impressed with the quality of care and of the facilities available.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

I have come to Devonshire House for respite care and I highly recommend it here. In fact I can find no fault in it whatsoever. The staff are extremely caring and friendly. The food is very good and I appreciate the glass of sherry before lunch occasionally and a glass of wine. The grounds are beautiful and I enjoy walking around the lake, a lot of thought has gone into the plants and flowers. My room is very comfortable and pleasant. In fact I think Devonshire House is like a first class hotel with the bonus of people around to look after you and care for you.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

I spent most of the day this past Thursday with my mother who i was visiting since i now live in America. Quite honestly is seemed like every few minutes any of the very kind helpers was offering tea/biscuits, lunch and/or drinks and to see how we were, whilst sitting in the sunny atrium admiring the blooming flowers and birds and nature outside. When the weather changed we went into one of the quiet sitting rooms that had a nice gas fire going. Overall the day for both of us could not have been more enjoyable. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

The staff are lovely and kind, I have a really nice room. I would not want to be anywhere else.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

I was a resident at the care home three years ago for two weeks when my wife was in hospital. I am disabled and in a wheelchair and my whole experience was excellent. The staff were both friendly and helpful, but very respectful of my needs and treated me with great dignity. I cannot praise them enough. Mt room was spacious and airy with access to the garden. I very much enjoyed my meals, in fact it was a very good experience for me at quite a stressful time. I returned yesterday to have lunch with a resident which was very nice. The manager and deputy both greeted me like an old friend which I found very heart warming.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

I attended a Christmas lunch which was hosted in beautifully decorated rooms, with welcoming staff and a generous lunch as good as any home meal. This was typical of any meal I have attended (minus the decorations). The staff are ALWAYS friendly, human and kind. By that I mean they are everyday men and women doing their best with humour. The home is exceptional - more like a hotel in furnishings. It NEVER smells of urine (not uncommon elsewhere). I believe the great atmosphere radiates down from the manager. All her staff are a credit to her. To visit is a pleasure because my father-in-law is relaxed and comfortable and knows his needs are met as much as possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

The home has to be the best I've ever seen. It's so clean and no smell. Dad's room and facilities are fantastic and the staff are very caring.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My father in law has recently become resident at Devonshire House. He has been made very welcome by all the staff, who are in pains to make sure that they spend time talking to him, making sure his care needs are anticipated and met. He has been encouraged to eat (which he wasn't doing previously). The home itself provides a warm and friendly environment, with seating arranged more in line with a country hotel than a care home: clearly a lot of thought has gone into it all.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

A lovely Christmas lunch. Friendly carers, very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My father is now living at Devonshire House following an initial week's respite. He is quite vulnerable and very confused but all the staff are skilled in recognising his anxieties and have given him a lot of time and reassurance. Also they are supporting me as obviously this is a difficult time all round. The food is excellent (I was invited to the amazing residents' Xmas lunch/party and can vouch for its quality) and in the short time my father has been there he has eaten well for the first time in years and is putting on weight. They have also managed to get him to accept personal care (I could hardly believe this) which is delivered with kindness and dignity and he clearly trusts them all for this to take place. For the first time in years I am able to relax and let them take this responsibility.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Dad recently took a week's respite at Devonshire House and this has morphed into a permanent residency. I have worked in care environments for 25 years prior to my retirement and as a consequence can write with insight about this home. There appears to be a high level of understanding of what care for the elderly, particularly with dementia, should be like and its clearly led from the top of the both the management and her deputy are both highly visible and hands-on. The staff seem well trained and exceptionally caring, spending time with residents and also giving much-needed reassurance to resident's families, who frequently need to talk through their own concerns and anxieties. The facilities are bright, clean and always welcoming and it is a credit to all the staff that they make it all appear so effortless which clearly it isn't!

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My great Aunt spent a month respite stay at Devonshire House. The grounds are outstanding, so many different rooms to relax in. My aunt's favourite place was the conservatory with beautiful sights out to the gardens. The care team were fantastic, nothing was too much to ask for. My Aunt attended church when at home and the management made it possible for her to continue to go to church whilst at Devonshire House. Very good choice of meals. A* service from all.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My uncle moved here from another care home as living with dementia meant that his care needs had changed and he needed the level of care that only a specialist unit could deliver. His move was handled exceptionally well by the Devonshire House team and we continue to be impressed by the standard of care that we have observed during our frequent visits to the home. We see our uncle being treated with dignity and kindness and as relatives we are always made to feel welcome. When there are problems, which are inevitable when caring for an increasingly frail elderly resident, communication from the home to us is always prompt, informative and supportive to us, his relatives. From the minute that our relative moved into Devonshire House we have felt that he was safe, secure and well cared for. We believe that one of the main reasons for the excellent standard of care delivered by Devonshire House is the high standard of the management and senior team on site. It is without doubt a well-led home and the results are very evident. Events such as the recent Christmas lunch, which was so well supported by relatives showcase the best of care that Devonshire House can offer. Long may it continue!

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Our mother was the first resident to move into Devonshire House in September 2010. We were shown around the home when it opened and chose a ground floor room overlooking the garden and lake. All the staff have been helpful and kind and she has been looked after very well. The local GP and district nurses are extremely helpful when needed. The staff went out of their way to help the family celebrate mum's 100th birthday in March in the conservatory, which we shall remember. Overall we are very happy and grateful to all the staff for all they do to look after him.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My friend seems very settled and happy at Devonshire House. When I visit I feel welcome and I am always offered a tea/coffee. I feel the staff are very friendly and polite and overall there seems to be a very pleasant atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

I visit at least once a week I am always made to feel welcome, my friend is treated with dignity and kindness by all members of staff. Having visited other homes I would highly recommend Devonshire House it is what a care home should be.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

I have just attended the most wonderful Residents Christmas party, it was absolutely amazing how the manager, care staff and Chef catered for so many of us, I must congratulate the manager she and her staff went to great lengths to organise such a wonderful event, a traditional sit down meal for residents and their families, I reckon there must have been over 160 people.
We all had a lovely time, the manager and staff are fantastic I cannot praise them enough. Well done to you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

I came into the care home, I was distressed and unhappy, and was changed into a rested and happy lady. I enjoyed the company and the staff, they all made me feel good about myself.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Your home and helpers could not have been more attentive or helpful to my mother over the period she was with you, as she is very bright and proud they could not have done more to make quite a scary time for her easy, and you all helped to make her realise she does need to accept more help thank all your girls and helpers very much.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My Nan stayed at Devonshire House over Christmas and new year, the staff were very kind and thoughtful, they seem very trained and knowledgeable when it comes to dementia care, The Ryder unit was very homely, Nan loved the musical activities and the Christmas decorations, the food was excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Home very friendly and helpful atmosphere, staff caring, management good. Beautiful setting and grounds. Some acquisitions took a long time to come, ie. extra wardrobe etc. Heating seems to be a problem, though I have never met it personally.
When mother died the care was excellent just beforehand. Carers kind and sympathetic. She felt well looked after.
Food was partly good, sometimes a bit dull and heavy. Not enough salad/fruit/fibre.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

I came to stay in Devonshire house after a quadruple bi-pass operation. I was not able to return home as I live alone. A friend visited three care homes and Devonshire House stood out in so many areas. It was welcoming, the staff were highly professional and it was beautifully kept. Clean, high quality furnishings light warm and inviting. The food was excellent. The care I received was second to none, I can only praise everything about my stay. There were some other residents who could be difficult especially at meal times, but not once I never did I see care staff lose patience or raise their voices.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My great grandmother came to Devonshire House for a week whilst we had a short break away, we were a little apprehensive about placing her anywhere as she is very particular lady and likes things done in a certain way. The manager spent time with us prior to her stay which made us feel so much at ease, she was very thoughtful and put in the finishing touches to ensure my grandmothers stay would be comfortable, she loves fresh fruit and their was a bowl in her room upon arrival.
The staff were so kind, thoughtful and welcoming, the cleaning staff were jolly and cheerful which was nice as granny liked to spend time in her room.
Compliments to all the staff, Granny did nothing but talk about her stay and how nice it was, she felt she was in a hotel - the added bonus was they serve sherry before lunch and offer fruit juice, squash and wine during the meal.
Home made cakes were lovely.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My mother entered Devonshire House in an emergency rather than being hospitalised, a very anxious time. We were treated with genuine caring in a very professional way. This was only two weeks ago and she is still poorly but I have felt confident handing over the reigns of caring to the staff who have been nothing but helpful, showing great empathy and caring. I feel mum is having the best care possible. The management also, have been nothing other than helpful, in what has been an emotional time and a financial strain for our family in the face of poor help from social services. Overall I would strongly recommend Devonshire House.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My step father spent six weeks at Devonshire House. He was very poorly, lonely, depressed and withdrawn. I can not praise the home enough. The staff and manager were wonderful always cheerful and encouraging. We as family were made so welcome when we visited it was like visiting him at home. We had meals with him. The food is first class. My step father returned home a different man. This was definitely the rest/convalescence he needed. I would recommend this. "Outstanding"

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

My father spent the last 18 months of his life at Devonshire House, when he was too ill to live independently. Despite his initial reluctance to move to a care home, he was very happy and well cared for there. The staff were exceptionally kind, cheerful and friendly, often going out of their way to help him. The home itself is well-equipped with very pleasant communal rooms and beautiful grounds. Dad's room was relatively small but had a spectacular view across the garden to the surrounding countryside, which gave him great pleasure. The family is very grateful to the staff of Devonshire House for making his final months as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

I visit my friend at least once a month. The staff are lovely, nothing is too much trouble. I am always offered tea/cake. The gardens are wonderful and well maintained - it's a lovely place to visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Excellent service, all staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Over the last three years, we have had Uncle, and Auntie, in this wonderful place, we visit often, we are always impressed when we visit, everything is tip top, the attention to detail, the great attentive care givers, the ease of access to all staff and management, both in person, by telephone or email, they are very responsive, they keep you informed about your relatives health, if they have any concerns, they contact you the same day, the ongoing and changing care needs of Auntie, has become complex and time challenging, they master the changing needs with excellence, care, empathy and dignity, we are forever grateful to have enjoyed being part of this lovely oasis.
The Manager is a wonderful person, she identifies your personal needs as well, she is supportive, informative and has helped us as a family through some very difficult times, we cannot express how much this has helped us.
We enjoy all the Open House days and functions, they are well supported and conversations between other family members within Devonshire House brings out everyone's praise for the wonderful location, the staff, the food and the ambiance.
It shows that these places can be a perfect answer to care of our elderly. A great "Well Done"

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Extremely Likely

Everything seems to go very well. Food and drink are given with very good satisfaction. Meals are good and usually served well. The staff are good. The food seems to be enjoyed and it is always hot when served.

How likely would you be to recommend Devonshire House? Likely

Submit a Review for Devonshire House

posted 11 May 2018

We currently have 2 vacancies for care. Please contact Devonshire House directly for further information.

Recipient: Anchor

March 2017

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Devonshire House