Ambleside

Evesham Road, Dodwell, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 9ST

Ambleside is a purpose-built Care UK home in Stratford-upon-Avon, which opened in October 2013. The care home provides professional and personalised care provision, with superbly decorated interiors and attractive gardens.

The new home is ideal for a wide range of care needs, including specialist nursing and residential care, and the care team are fully trained to provide care to meet the sometimes complex challenges of dementia care.

Care is based around personal interests and hobbies. There is a coffee shop, hair salon and cinema on site.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Clare Mudge (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Warwickshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 60 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Ambleside: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Ambleside is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 37 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Ambleside in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.614 for Ambleside is calculated as follows: ( (315 Excellents x 5) + (93 Goods x 4) + (19 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) + (5 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 438 Ratings = 4.614

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Ambleside is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 12 Target Reached = 1

9.6 Ambleside has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.614) from 37 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Ambleside?

Reviewer Connection to Ambleside

Everyone is very caring, room lovely, overlooking the garden and very clean. My husband was very contented and well looked after. He enjoyed the meals.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Likely

My mother in law is very happy at Ambleside. She is treated well and staff are caring.
There is no smell to the home. It is light and bright and I feel confident in her general care and well being whilst living there.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My father has been a resident at Ambleside for several months now and I am very pleased with the care he is receiving. The staff are well trained, professional and caring. We have got to know the staff as they are normally dedicated to one suite so they get to know the residents well and helps us when asking how our father is getting on. The staff are always keen to get the residents involved with the activities planned if they want to.
The facilities are excellent with a nice reception area, resident lounges, a cinema, laundry and a large garden. Coffee and biscuits are always available. The home is clean, does not smell and the rooms are better than some hotels I have been in!! The ensuites are brilliant and the rooms are warm and airy.
The food is very good and the staff will always cater for any dietary needs. I have eaten there myself on several occasions including Christmas lunch. The food was extremely good and the whole event was very well run .

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My aunt has been in this care home for 18 months and I am very pleased with the facilities and care that is provided for dementia residents. I have also seen an improvement over that period, following a change of management in December 2016.

My aunt has limited capabilities due to her dementia, however the staff at Ambleside do their best for her despite her condition, they are caring and compassionate, and this includes management and admin staff as well as the carers. I also have a good relationship with the staff, receiving understanding and empathy, and it is a great relief to know that she is being cared for 24/7 at Ambleside.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My father has been resident at Ambleside for 13 months. It took a while for him to settle in but with the help of the staff he is now very content. Staff are very attentive to him and friendly to me whenever I call - this includes management and admin staff as well as the carers. I was very impressed that everyone called him by his name from the day he moved in.
His room is always clean, the food is good and any health issues are dealt with promptly. There are many more female than male residents but the staff have done their best to arrange activities that will appeal to the "Gentlemen".

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

Our relative has been in your Care Home for just over a month now and we are all very pleased with the standard of care that you provide.
Before we came to you we did lots of research on all the Care Homes that we considered suitable within the area around where we live. We compared the ones we considered to be the best and yours was the one we finally chose.

We did come to your open day in the summer and we were impressed with the way things were done so that helped us to make our final decision to come to you.

I'm sure that we made the right choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

What a relief to find a place for full-time nursing care for our mother at Ambleside.
The facilities are excellent and encourage family and friends to spend quality time together.
The whole staff are friendly and helpful, offering individual care and encouragement on a daily basis to the highest of standards.
As a family, we are confident that Mum is receiving the best possible care helping her to adjust to a new way of life.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

Halloween - the whole home was decorated with pumpkins, spiders, cobwebs...everything for a 'witch full experience'.
My father really enjoyed seeing the local nursery children and handing out treats to them!
Waterside was especially well decorated with ghosts from the walls and doors and a large skeleton to welcome visitors to the dining room!
A wonderful and happy experience for all.

Fish restaurant - four stars!
What a lovely idea to have fine dining lunch.
The experience was brilliant; bringing out my Dad's memory about the Navy and life in the West Country as he chatted to another resident.
Amazing memories came out from around the diners at the table.
The food was excellent, well done the Head Chef's Team.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My father has been cared for here for nineteen months with unfailing kindness and consideration. Despite Alzheimer's, he still wants to be sociable and is able to join in various group sessions and outings. He likes his food and physically is in quite good shape for 96 years of age. The staff go out of their way to chat to him and guide him towards 'things to do' and because he responds, clearly are fond of him, which is really comforting to me as the only local relative. Health issues are picked up quickly and dealt with appropriately. Altogether an excellent Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

Both my parents are residents at Ambleside. They are on separate wings, because of different health and care needs. However, they are able to see each other daily, if they wish. We have been very happy with how they have settled into their new home. The staff are always ready to go that extra mile to accommodate any requests we may have had. Also, any queries will be answered as soon as possible. It is totally down to my parents if they wish to join in the activities held daily. In saying that, they will also gently encourage 'joining' in rather than just sitting in their rooms. My Mum already views the staff as old friends and we are very grateful that my father in his fog of Dementia is looked after with such care. As a family, we can pop in anytime for a visit, taking Mum to the onsite cafe if she doesn't feel like a trip out is a big plus! She also visits the onsite hair salon once a week for her 'blowdry' which is great. We are so pleased we chose Ambleside as a home for our parents.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

The building is new and although my room is not the biggest, it is bright, airy and modern. The grounds are also lovely and are conducive to going for a walk and getting some valuable exercise and fresh air. Most important however is the care and kindness of the staff. From the moment I arrived, when I was welcomed and every subsequent day, everyone has been keen to help me and have done so pleasantly and courteously. They are all truly angels!

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

Words cannot express how happy I am with the care, kindness and respect that my husband receives at Ambleside. He was made very welcome from day one, as have I and family and friends. It is a lovely, happy, friendly environment and a pleasure to visit, have a coffee and sit in the beautiful garden. Most importantly as I drive off, I am happy and confident that he is happy and well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

A wonderful calm, caring home and caring staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

Even before my mother moved in to Ambleside we received excellent support and advice from the customer services manager and support staff.

During the six weeks that my mother has been a resident at Ambleside I have seen an improvement in her health and wellbeing.

All staff have provided good care and have maintained her dignity. I have observed exceptional levels of care from some staff and a genuine desire to communicate and befriend her and as a result, her personality is shining through!

The manager and deputy manager are visible and always available and have provided support and reassurance since our first day at Ambleside.
Needs have been anticipated and I appreciate the proactive approach the home takes to my mother's care.

I enjoy visiting my mum at the home and I am always welcomed by staff. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My mother needed care for about three months last summer following a fall when she sustained a small fracture in her knee. We were very impressed by the care received at Ambleside. The staff were unfailingly friendly and cheerful and my mother was treated with dignity at all times.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

The ratings below were compiled with my mother so they are the view of the resident rather than myself.
The standard of the food has declined and there is a high turnover in staff and management. The accounts department still don't seem to know how to manage a top up contract which is stressful for the residents and a cause for concern.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Ambleside responded to this review on 05 May 2017:

We are sorry to hear that there are aspects of our service that have not meet your mother's expectations and we do appreciate your constructive feedback. A new home manager was appointed in December and some further staff changes followed, however, we are pleased so say that staff turnover has reduced in recent months and we now have a much more stable team in place. I understand that our head chef and business administrator have been working closely with your mother to address her concerns and ensure an improved service, including developing a menu which incorporates her preferences. We hope that you have since seen an improvement but please do talk to the home manager if you have any further concerns or your mother can raise these at the resident's committee, of which she is an active member.

Taking a parent out of their own home and placing them in a care home is one of the most difficult decisions we have to face. From Ambleside, I received total understanding, empathy and care. I was steered very ably through the process and my mother is now settled and content. All staff are extremely friendly and nothing is too much trouble. What a relief it is to me to know that my mum is being cared for 24/7 at Ambleside care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My wife has been a resident at Ambleside for approximately 16 months. The care of all the staff, especially all the carers has been exceptional. My wife has been treated with respect, dignity and love by all.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

Mum was in Ambleside for 7 months, and she was happy and very well cared for during this time. The carers were so kind to her, and helped her cope with the difficulties of everyday life. She loved having her hair done and enjoyed the entertainments she attended. While she did not always enjoy the food, I recognise that producing food that suits absolutely everyone on a daily basis is almost impossible. She did manage to put on some weight, and was eating healthily. I was always made to feel most welcome by the staff, cares and admin staff alike and after Mum died I was encouraged to visit and not be a stranger. I feel most grateful that Mum was so well loooked after, right until the end. To me, the test of a good care home is whether you would be happy to be a resident, and I most certainly would be - though not just yet, thank you!!

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My grandmother is well cared for and very content since moving in Ambleside. Al the staff at the home are positive and friendly. Meals are at a very high standard. Rooms are clean and bright. Our entire experience has been excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My father in law was at Ambleside since 2014 and received the best support possible for someone who was 100 years of age and a very private person. He was relatively fit for his age, but staff kept a watchful and friendly eye on him, respecting his wishes as a very private individual, whilst contacting us if they had any cause for concern. They supported him well during the grieving period for his wife who passed away at Ambleside in December 2015 and helped him to live a life without her. Sadly he passed away in December, but the staff continued to and still do support us as a family.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

The facilities on offer are excellent and very well presented. The staff really are the secret to success. Their overall training is clear for all to see. The attitude and friendliness to both residents and visitors are outstanding.
The food whilst satisfactory could improve is tailored to a resident's individual needs.
Overall I believe Ambleside to be excellent and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Likely

I came to Ambleside for two weeks following a cataract operation. I was most impressed with the quality and caring nature of all the staff - nothing was too much trouble for them. My room was extremely comfortable. I would have liked more organised activities so that I could have interacted more frequently with other residents. As it was I tended to spend a lot of time on my own in my room.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Ambleside responded to this review on 13 Dec 2016:

We are grateful for your constructive feedback and are delighted with the positive comments and scores for the care and support we provide. We are sorry to hear the activities did not meet your expectations. We do run a full and varied activities programme at Ambleside throughout the week and at the weekend and try to encourage all residents to take part. We are always keen to learn how we might improve our activities offering, so we appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback. If you would like to discuss in more detail, our home manager would be happy to hear from you.

As a friend/next of kin of a resident, I was very impressed with the pre-admission telephone discussions. Subsequent visit to Ambleside and home visit which addressed all the questions I had about her impending two-week stay. On the many occasions, I visited her I continued to be impressed with the caring and helpful nature of all the staff, without exception. On many occasions volunteering help without being asked. My only quibble would be the quality of the main meals - somewhat unappetising and often cold.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

We are grateful for your constructive feedback and are delighted with the positive comments and scores for the care and support we provide. We are sorry to hear the food offering did not meet your expectations. We take great care in our menu planning to offer a variety of choice. Using fresh produce our aim is always to ensure the meals we serve are pleasing on the eye. The equipment we serve the meals from should ensure both the plates and the meal itself are of an adequate temperature. We do appreciate your feedback and we will of course undertake a review our meal service at Ambleside.

Extremely disappointing. My aunt was promised help to practice walking, company and attention. It never happened. The food bore no resemblance to the menus on the wall and was very poor - tiny portions, no fresh vegetables or fruit. The key problem seemed to be staffing - not enough staff. No proper cook and agency staff at weekends who did not know that a crumpet needs to be toasted and buttered. How the treatment she received can cost £110 a week is beyond us! Please publish this review!

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Unlikely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Ambleside responded to this review on 08 Dec 2016:

We are very sorry to hear your aunt’s stay at Ambleside did not live up to your expectations. We do take your concerns and feedback seriously and have been looking into this further. Our staffing levels are based on the needs of our residents as measured by a dependency tool. This tool is updated and checked on a weekly basis and used to plan staff levels and ensure care is safe and appropriate for all residents. At times we do need to use agency staff to ensure staffing is adequate but try to limit this as much as possible. We can confirm that your aunt was assisted with her walking regularly by both the care staff and activities team and was asked on a daily basis whether she would like to join in with the planned activities but often she declined due to having visitors. Our customer relations manager checked in with your aunt on several occasions during her stay and each time she told us she was happy and no concerns were raised.

In terms of our food offering, we provide a varied menu within the home. The head chef regularly chats with the residents and we hold regular resident meetings to take feedback on the homes food offer. This enables us to take into account the residents likes and dislikes when planning the menus. We are never short of food and residents are always offered ‘seconds’ and asked if they have had enough to eat before clearing away the plate. Our vegetables are fresh and sourced from a local company and fruit and other snacks should always be available.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback and would obviously like to understand your concerns in more detail. If you would like a follow up conversation with Dawn, the home manager, could you please get in touch directly to arrange a suitable time.

Cannot say how pleased and relieved we are to have Dad in Ambleside. Dad has never really settled anywhere (i.e. for day care and respite) but Ambleside is really a home from home. All the staff I have met have been caring and thoughtful. Dad is still very sociable and has constant interaction with staff during the day. Activities and events are organised regularly. We feel happy and comfortable to have Ambleside as Dad's home.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

- Staff very friendly, upbeat, encouraging and caring. Very helpful and kind.
- Laundry very effcient.
- Food generally good.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

The team on the Waterside Wing have been wonderful. My mother has been so content and comfortable, especially since a fall when she broke her hip and had a spell in hospital. From reception to the wing, everyone has been friendly, supportive and caring. Special thanks to the carers and The Waterside girls!

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My father entered the home eight weeks ago coming from a close care bungalow attached to the Bentley nursing home, he could no longer live alone because of increasing dementia. Although he "lives in the moment! he is still quite rational and so it was hard for him to have his freedom of movement curtailed. We were however delighted with the home and facilities when we first visited unannounced. The manager and staff made the move very easy, he moved in less than a week. Although it took a while before he started to join in activities, he thought that he was on holiday because everything was so nice. The breakthrough has come now that he can go out in the minibus.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My friend moved in here and was very poorly after a fall and not coping at home. Since she has been here she has gained weight and is very happy with her care, they also have very good entertainers that visit the home regularly.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

I have now been here for 2 years and although am happy I think that the staff on Hathaway should remain the same as I like to see the same people who tend to our needs. Sometimes the unit is grossly understaffed.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

I am well looked after by very caring staff. What more can I say, but a very big thank you to all of them.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

I am happy and secure in this care home - well looked after by caring staff - I am very satisfied.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

Myself and family are more than happy with Ambleside and its staff. Mum has been happy in herself and well since becoming a resident at the home. The staff are friendly and very helpful I am always impressed with the activities available for the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

My mother was one of the first residents to move into Ambleside, which she now regards as home. It provides a comfortable environment, good food, and universally sweet staff; everyone from carers, activities managers to the kitchen staff. I'm happy that she's there.
The activities are good, but I feel that there should be something (such as an aquarium in each suite living room) to stimulate residents when there are no activities taking place. My mother is incapable of reading anything as she has no attention span, and time hangs heavy when she isn't the centre of attention!
Greater effort should be made to recognise "bonding situations", and put people who have established a rapport together at mealtimes. My mother has formed and inexplicable but very real rapport with a resident in the suite upstairs. The feeling is apparently entirely mutual. But they dine together only infrequently. I realise that bringing her friend downstairs involves a little extra effort, but I feel that the effort should be made, as it is therapeutic to both of them.
Mugs, cups and kettles are often stained or covered in lime scale.

Dawn Leaver, Home Manager at Ambleside responded to this review on 30 Nov 2015:

We’re grateful for your feedback and are delighted with the positive comments and fantastic scores for the care and support we provide. We would also like to thank you for the constructive feedback and will arrange for the senior team at the home to get in touch and discuss any concerns with you in person.

The care that my mother has received during the 18 months+ that she has been resident has been wonderful and as a family, we are very grateful to the staff who have provided this care. An occasional mishap has usually been dealt with successfully. The friendly and helpful way that all levels of staff that we have encountered in the home, have interacted with us as visitors has been really appreciated. The facilities and activities provided are excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Ambleside? Extremely Likely

I could not ask for better care for my father. He is well looked after, well fed and groomed, and has a lovely clean room. The staff are attentive, knowledgeable about his well being and health conditions, and always contact me if he needs anything or there is a problem. The staff do a difficult job very well, they are trained to a good standard. There are staff changes but generally there have been the same core staff for a long time now which is reassuring to residents. No one wants their relatives to be in care, but if you have to choose somewhere in the local area I would recommend you visit here and have a good look around.

Submit a Review for Ambleside