Oakdale Care Home, Benfleet, Essex

Oakdale is a delightful home in Benfleet, Essex providing care and support for up to 27 older people with dementia.

The home is conveniently located close to the local town with good public transport links. The house has been extensively refurbished to provide a friendly and warm environment with 'hotel standard' accommodation.

There are a number of spacious lounges and dining areas for residents and their families to enjoy and a beautiful, secure garden. The staff at Oakdale provide the best quality care and support for their residents embracing the values of person-centred, individualised care.

They have a dedicated activities co-ordinator providing a wide range of entertainment and activities. The chef provides an excellent choice of home-cooked food every day.

Happiness is homemade.

Group: Abode Care Homes

Person in charge: Melanie Tucknott (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 27 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single from £700 , Personal Care Shared (per person) from £700 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Oakdale Care Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Oakdale Care Home: click here

posted 21 Nov 2017

Person-centred care for older people with or without dementia.

9.8 Oakdale Care Home has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.760)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Oakdale Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 27 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Oakdale Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 17 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.76 for Oakdale Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (249 Excellents x 5) + (67 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 321 Ratings = 4.76

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Oakdale Care Home is based on 17 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 5.4 positive Reviews (27 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 17 Reviews ÷ 5.4 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Oakdale Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Oakdale Care Home

• Son-in-law of Resident/Service User

I was most impressed by the genuinely warm and caring welcome we had when we first introduced our relative to Oakdale Residential Care. On the subsequent visit, we were delighted to see our relative looking happy and healthy. We were able to talk privatively to the Manager and to our relative, then a joint meeting which was friendly, compassionate and productive. The whole atmosphere was one of fun, enablement and care.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum is in latter stage Alzheimer's and has been attending Oakdale Care Home 3 days a week as a day resident from April '17. The staff at Oakdale are very caring and this gives me piece of mind that she is being looked after which enables me to continue working. They are very flexible with the time I drop off / pick up my mum. Also, I know that if I have something on at the weekend, I can take her there, which allows me to continue doing things with my family.
She has also stayed at Oakdale for Respite Care for two weeks, while we were on holiday, which was very appreciated as they know her and she is happy there, which let us enjoy our holiday without worrying about her.

Activities: Don't Know

On visiting one sister for three years, when my second sister needed care, my whole family were happy when told she could go into this care home and join our sister.
The staff are so caring, the food is excellent. A perfect and safe home, lovely craft days to keep residents 'on the ball'. Visitors are made very welcome.
Couldn't wish for anything better.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Such a wonderful care home. Residents are treated with the utmost dignity and respect. There is a warm and friendly atmosphere. Clean, warm and well decorated. The staff are fantastic and are always happy to help.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lovely care home and cannot find any faults. The residents' rooms are more than adequate and are made homely by the residents/family being able to add a personal touch.
The staff are friendly and always looking to help, I've never gone 5 seconds without being offered a tea.
My nan is extremely well catered for and supported. I highly recommend.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Early this year we reached 'crisis' point caring for our mum. We needed help, we needed respite. This is when we first met the manager and her lovely home and caring staff. Since then they have taken care of mum as a day resident and now, following a sudden decline in her health, mum has become a full-time resident.

The manager and her lovely staff have made bearable a decision that was extremely difficult to make. The transition has not been easy for us, but we are now able to visit mum, share some time with her then go home and relax knowing she is excellent hands. The manager has helped us to understand that this is not something we should feel bad about, but an action that is best for mum.

Since taking up residence mum has come on in leaps and bounds. She has regained some of the skills that she had lost. She is not as agitated, she has lost a lot if her anger.

I highly recommend Oakdale to anyone looking for a loving, caring home for their loved ones. Thank you to the manager and her wonderful helpers.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mum has recently become a resident at Oakdale after a few months as respite day care.
Since being a resident mum has improved in her mobility, eating and seems extremely settled.
The manager has gone all out to make her feel settled and has given excellent support to us, her family, very efficient.
There is never a shortage of staff who are always willing to help and make us all feel comfortable.
We were allowed to personalise mum's room with pictures, photos and plants.
There's activity planned, old-time music and specialised books for the residents, with interactive rooms and quiet rooms.
All in all very, very delighted with Oakdale and the manager and staff go all out and over and above care of duty.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother, who has mixed Vascular Dementia/Alzheimer's, has been attending this facility for several months as a daycare patient and has recently become a full-time resident.
I cannot say enough good about the manager who, right from the start, has been extremely welcoming, reassuring, caring, efficient and helpful. She has not only taken care of my mum but, us, as a family during a difficult time. She has made the transition of my mum into care, as less stressful as possible.
The home itself is very clean, very stimulating, very homely.
The staff are relaxed, welcoming, caring, friendly, and I have to emphasise, efficient.
Above all, I leave the home, comfortable and satisfied that she is in the best possible environment, with the best possible care.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Melanie Tucknott, Home Manager at Oakdale Care Home responded to this review on 20 Sep 2017:

Wonderful supportive family, thank you so much for your kind words about our home, as a team we strive for perfection.

Following a fall and spell in hospital I was looking to move my 91-year-old Mother to a care home nearer me, providing her with much needed 24/7 support. At Oakdale I received a very friendly welcome from the manager, deputy manager and staff, providing the reassurance I wanted. Oakdale has a lovely warm, happy and friendly atmosphere.

I was concerned that Mum might lose her place due to the paperwork involved in relocating Mum out of the Norfolk area into Essex. I needn't have worried as the manager at Oakdale, anticipated the issues and was proactive in linking up with social services and ensuring everything went speedily and smoothly.

Since being at the home Mum has settled in quickly and it is noticeable how her mobility and health have improved. The facilities for the residents are very good, with organised activities at just the right level. The home cooked food is nutritious and plentiful. I would not hesitate to recommend Oakdale and look forward to my visits there.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

My husband left hospital and was taken to Oakdale in May. Within an hour, he looked cared for - clean, shaven, dressed in pyjamas and had a look of inner peace. The frightened look had gone from his eyes and he was relaxed.
No one could have done more to make him feel comfortable and "at home". Unfortunately, his illness had become so severe that he died. I was so glad that he was in Oakdale for his final 3 days. I have no hesitation in saying that I have never seen another care home give such loving care, kindness and dedication to help both residents and their families.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Melanie Tucknott, Home Manager at Oakdale Care Home responded to this review on 19 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your very kind words, it means such a lot. It was a real privilege to get to know you both, and to be there for you when we had to say goodbye. Oakdale's door is always open for a coffee, or a chat - you are always welcome. I wish you nothing but health and happiness
Fondest wishes
Melanie and her family at Oakdale

What a wonderful care home. All the people from the person in charge, to every member of the care staff, are incredible. From the time I first set foot in the place, I had a really good feeling. The friendly nature of the staff, the atmosphere, the activities for the residents, the food choices, the choice of lounge to relax in, to the chilled approach to families and visiting are brilliant. Quite simply everything you would wish for when your loved ones need to be cared for.
The care staff are just so attentive, caring, compassionate and went out of their way to ensure my mother in law settled in.
Such a relief and comfort to know she is in good hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

After 3 months of caring for my friend who lives in Upminster, he was diagnosed with stomach cancer, it was evident he needed care and I was so lucky that a room was available at Oakdale in Benfleet, where I live. What a lovely care home it is, bright, cheerful and nothing is too much trouble. The relief of knowing he will be well looked after is wonderful. I cannot thank them enough for all their dedicated care and attention to my friend. Plus I can visit anytime. I would definitely recommend Oakdale to anyone. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum came into the care home in November.
She was very confused and had no knowledge of her surroundings, but it didn't take long before she settled in she is now completely happy.
The manager and all the staff are amazing for the care they show, has put my mind at rest that my mum is getting the best care needs, for her condition.

The care home is like a home from home.

Thank you all for your support. Xx

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

A well run and very friendly home, I recently had the opportunity to arrange for another of my sisters to become a resident at Oakdale and of course I did not hesitate as I knew how she would be very happy there.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

When I viewed the home for my sister, I found it clean and everyone was so friendly and kind. It was the home I was looking for. She seems to have settled in well and I have no doubt that she'll be happy there.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has had shingles and has been very unwell. The care within the home has been excellent. The hospital doctor has praised the eye care. Nothing has been too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Have had our mother staying here for nearly a month now, she has settled in very well and we have noticed a massive change in her well being and state of general appearance and health, we feel this care home offers extreme levels of care as well as a home from home feel all round. Many thanks to all the staff who I think really care about what they do. Thanks again.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

I went to Oakdale as a respite resident after an operation on my toe. The care and attention I received right from the word go was amazing and continued right through my stay. The manager went that extra mile to ensure that I had everything I wanted. The staff are excellent and cannot fo enough for you. They treat the elderly patient mostly with dementia with dignity and respect. The cook and kitchen staff also do a first class job and the food is of a very high standard. Everyone at Oakdale made my stay as enjoyable as possible for which I am very grateful.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Melanie Tucknott, home manager at Oakdale Care Home responded to this review on 11 Oct 2016:

It was an absolute pleasure supporting you Janice, and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay, thank you for your kind words means so much to us all as a team.

My mother has been in Oakdale since January 2016. She has taken time to settle but I expect this is normal. I have been impressed with the care and support she has received from all the staff who work at the home. The manager has involved me in issues all the way so far, always endeavouring to achieve the best solution for my mother who has advanced dementia. I am full of praise for the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

It is a very friendly home with very caring staff. There always seems to be plenty of staff available.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Oakdale is a very well run home when there have been issues which are rare, they have been resolved very quickly. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a family feel home for their relative, they are all very approachable and willing to help.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent home with very high standard of caring.
Look forward to the home being extended so there is additional space for visitors to go with residents. What about a sun lounge? This is especially important for those who have very little dementia.
Maybe somewhere with proper coffee machine? Though staff always offer to make drinks. Designated hair salon would be of use.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Melanie Tucknott, Home Manager at Oakdale Care Home responded to this review on 16 May 2016:

Thank you so very much for your comments and suggestions.

Oakdale is like one big, happy family - of which I too feel a part of since there is always such a warm welcome for any visitors and a genuine interest in the residents and their families alike. Although my mother is in the advanced stage of dementia, I cannot fault the care she receives. Both staff and residents try to stimulate and engage with her when she is awake and any suggestions I may make are always considered and acted upon if appropriate.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

We feel she is being cared for very well and problems/concerns have been dealt with quickly and efficiently. The manager runs a tight ship. We are always made to feel welcome there. The staff are very friendly and approachable.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Small, intimate care home. Friendly staff. Excellent management, making visitors very welcome. Always ask visitors if they want a tea of coffee. They look after my mother very well and very attendant to her needs. They have various activities during the week involving all applicable residents. I am very pleased that my mother has the best of care.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

When I visit there is always welcoming smiles and a cup of tea. Everything and everyone is clean/well dressed/sweet smelling. Staff are always cheerful, accommodating, attentive to patients and visitors while allowing each one space to be themselves. They work well as a team and are very kind and professional when a client is anxious or distressed. Staff are very hard working and loyal to Oakdale Residential Home, I see the same faces as when I visited years ago. The d├ęcor is upbeat but restful (a difficult balance). The atmosphere is lively and alert (because of the friendly/lively staff) even though clients are in decline, need rest, or sleep a lot.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakdale Care Home? Extremely Likely

Oakdale is a caring home treating it's resident's with kindness and dignity. I cannot recommend the home enough, the staff and management are excellent and provide an excellent range of activities and events to benefit the residents.

Submit a Review for Oakdale Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Oakdale Care Home