Lyndon Residential Home

2 High Street, Sandridge, St Albans AL4 9DH

Lyndon Residential Home, situated in Sandridge village just outside St Albans, provides residential care for elderly people. Originally built as a Victorian vicarage, the house has been extended and modernised to provide en-suite rooms throughout its accommodation which is situated over two floors and made accessible by passenger lifts.

Trained staff provide 24 hour care and each room has a call bell to make sure residents feel safe.

Lyndon Home is set in its own extensive grounds which have mature planting, flower beds and a lawn. Pathways have been furnished with plenty of seating and lead to the rose arbour, orchard and fountain.

Indoors there are several lounges offering a selection of venues for communal or private use. Served in a bright dining room, residents receive balanced meals with any special diets catered for from a choice of menu.

Lyndon offers spiritual as well as practical care. Short services are held each morning, led by different church members. The staff team includes Salvation Army chaplains who are available to support residents, family members and friends irrespective of religious beliefs.

A full program of activities is arranged within the home and residents are encouraged to continue their interests both within and outside the home. Excursions and special events are arranged, often with the help of volunteer Friends of Lyndon.

Lyndon has an informal and friendly atmosphere providing a homely environment supported by many long standing members of staff.

Prospective residents are welcome to view and short stays may be arranged to aid the decision process.

Group: The Salvation Army

Person in charge: Shubhes Shrestha (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hertfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 32 Service Users

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £812 – £812 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Lyndon Residential Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Lyndon Residential Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Lyndon Residential Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Lyndon Residential Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.665 for Lyndon Residential Home is calculated as follows: ( (150 Excellents x 5) + (58 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 215 Ratings = 4.665

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Lyndon Residential Home is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 6.4 positive Reviews (32 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 6.4 Target Reached = 1

9.7 Lyndon Residential Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.665) from 18 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Lyndon Residential Home?

Reviewer Connection to Lyndon Residential Home

Talking to staff about my mother I was impressed by the knowledge and insight everyone had about my mother from management to canteen and cleaning staff.
It is clear they all know her very well, her personality, history and condition. They must spend a lot of time talking to her.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

My sister-in-law, aged100, who was a Salvation Army Officer all her life, is very happy and lovingly cared for at Lyndon House. She has dementia but her condition is well understood and sensitively managed by all the staff. We are always warmly welcomed when we visit and are kept well informed of any change in her condition. She has a very pleasant room en-suite and enjoys the attractive, spacious garden in the summer. Residents are treated as individuals, there is a warm and loving atmosphere in the Home and we have total peace of mind about the care she receives.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

This is my first experience of a residential care home. The home is always warm and very welcoming. The staff are very caring and nothing is too much bother. They appear to actually care for the residents and my mother seems very fond of the staff that care for her. So they must treat her kindly and look after her well to have this bond with them.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Likely

Relatives can be assured that residents are provided with first class care and attention at Lynson Residential Home. Second to none.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

I have the peace of mind that my mother is in a safe and secure environment, is comfortable and warm, and above all is being very well looked after. I know that if she is unwell at any time, she will get the medical help she might need. My mother trusts the Salvation Army to look after her, and she knows of all the good they do. The home is friendly and relaxed and has a homely and welcoming atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

I feel well looked after and everyone is friendly. Whenever possible staff take us out, I very much enjoy these outings.
I have good friends, we all get on well.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

I would like to say that the care my aunt receives is excellent. The staff are very caring and they always go the extra mile. There is always a pleasant atmosphere when I visit. The house is pleasant, clean and no smells.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

I have found this to be a comfortable home staffed by caring and competent people who are always ready to respond to requests and questions of both residents and relatives. It is reassuring to know that my very elderly relative is safe and content and being well supported despite her needs to the extent that her wellbeing and health has improved since she has been here.

The Christian ethos is also much appreciated.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

My mother came to Lyndon after a period of illness and some mental confusion. Key in the decision to choose Lyndon was our view of the staff, for whom no praise is too high. Without exception, I have found them to be committed and caring, familiar with the residents individual needs and concerns, and willing to do all they can to ensure that they are happy in their environment.

My mother's mental health has improved considerably in their care. Whilst there are probably newer care homes with more luxurious facilities (although Lyndon's tranquil environment and the gardens are particularly good), the quality of care and individual attention my mother receives more than makes up for this.

I would be happy to recommend Lyndon to others in a similar situation.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

All staff have been helpful and caring. They do everything that is possible for the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has been a resident in this home for just over a year.
She feels happy, well cared for and comfortable there.
The staff are excellent - without exception, I've always found them to be caring, patient and helpful.
The accommodation and facilities are good and my mother takes particular pleasure from the gardens, which are well-managed to provide maximum interest and enjoyment.
When I visit my mother I always receive a warm and friendly welcome from the staff and most of all when I have to leave I feel perfectly content that she is in the best possible care.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

My mother said she'd never go into a care home. Now she's at Lyndon Residential Home she is very happy and would be very upset to leave.
I think this is a very good Salvation Army Care Home. All the staff are very accommodating and friendly and helpful at caring.
I enjoy visiting my mother there because the atmosphere is so good.
Excellent home for my 94 year old mother!!!

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has resided at the Lyndon since January 2014. Her care has been of a consistently high standard. She is treated with dignity, respect and compassion. The staff have a genuine interest in her and her family, sharing happy events and consoling her when she feels anxious and weepy, my mother has companionship and is enjoying the last years of her life. I never worry when I leave her after visiting, we can call in at anytime and are always welcomed.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

My mother moved into Lyndon Residential Home on 8th August 2016 after being in respite at another care home. She was unhappy there and asked to go home the whole time. All she did was sit in a chair on her own all day, apart from mealtimes and when visitors went to see her. She had no appetite and drank little. After initial confusion, from the second day she moved into Lyndon Residential Home we saw a vast improvement. She interacted, joined in the activities on offer, her appetite came back and she is a very much happier person. We are so thankful for Lyndon Residential Home. We cannot fault it in any way.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

My biggest concern is (having to be on a soft diet) the meals on the whole. I have now is getting more understanding for the method we have to contend with eg. having dentures - sore gums - (which are wearing away) Hiatal Hernia.
My opinion is - the cooking facilities are not suitable for persons of our age, 80's and over - that is my opinion first and foremost. The food which is wasted and left on the plates is morally wrong and wasteful - because of poor conditions, owing to the shortage of English and persons with little knowledge of our methods we are used to.
Our chef at the moment is not always able to be here (I understand) and replacements poor as far as our custom. I think I can speak for most of us have been used to good English food cooked well.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Likely

Shubhes Shrestha, Home Manager at Lyndon Residential Home responded to this review on 24 May 2016:

First of all, a big ‘Thank You’ to our resident, Eunice, for an overall positive review!

Having said this, we must also address factual inaccuracies in the review itself. She has mentioned about the unsuitability of the cooking facility in the home. This could not be further from the truth, and certain concerns are due to current health issues, not the fact that we have not provided the correct nutrition for Eunice's needs.

At Lyndon, we use an award winning company. They provide us with a pre-prepared calorie specific diet especially designed for older people. All the pre-prepared meals are cooked in the kitchen in a special oven provided by the company itself. In fact, they have won many awards for food innovation and in particular in relation to modified texture (soft food).

At Lyndon, we pride ourselves on the care we provide; we are transparent when concerns are raised, having regular meetings with all our residents to ensure any issues raised are resolved quickly.

We very much value comments and suggestions from Eunice and her specific concern can be dealt with on an individual basis but we are obliged to challenge factual inaccuracies in her review particularly in reference to food and English culture.

My relative has received excellent care in the two and a half years he has lived at Lyndon. He is happy and content. The staff are very welcoming and keep relatives well informed as well as creating a warm, relaxing and caring environment. Medical issues are dealt with promptly and efficiently. I would not hesitate to recommend this care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

Carers and admin staff are very kind and helpful. Very pleased with how father has settled in, its difficult for elderly folk. He could have furniture from his home.

How likely would you be to recommend Lyndon Residential Home? Extremely Likely

My mum has been at Lyndon House for a few years. The staff are fantastic and her care has been second to none. The home is lovely and the surrounding gardens are a joy in the summertime. We could not ask for a better second home for our mum.

Submit a Review for Lyndon Residential Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Lyndon Residential Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Lyndon Residential Home