Appleby House

Longmead Road, Epsom KT19 9RX

Appleby House is a Epsom facility that makes a significant contribution to the area's healthcare, with 75 beds available for elderly residents who want to maintain their independence with 24-hour access to carers.

Residents enjoy being located close to local shops, popular market and good leisure facilities, with their own privacy respected and comfortable lounge and garden areas.

Thanks to recent investment from owners, Care UK, the home has opened The Orchard Centre, which extends upon its previous expertise to provide care for many with dementia.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Shona Bradbury (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Surrey County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 75 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Appleby House: click here

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Appleby House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 37 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Appleby House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.815 for Appleby House is calculated as follows: ( (354 Excellents x 5) + (76 Goods x 4) + (2 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 432 Ratings = 4.815

The 4.6 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Appleby House is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 15 positive Reviews (75 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 15 Target = 0.600

9.4 Appleby House has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.415) from 37 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Appleby House?

Reviewer Connection to Appleby House

• Grandson of Resident/Service User

Extremely bright, happy and clean care home, staff are very friendly and you can visit any time without an appointment. There are a lot of things that the residents can do from art, yoga and dancing etc I'm very happy for my relative to reside here.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

We were very concerned about moving mum from the home environment she knew to residential dementia care. However, the move has gone more smoothly than we could ever have hoped for. Mum settled in within 24 hours and is very happy at Appleby House. It is a fun place, with lots of activities, clean and a great team. I enjoy visiting mum there.
A real relief for everyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My mother has never been happier. The staff take such care. The change in her is remarkable. The atmosphere in Appleby is brilliant, it truly is a "home" for everyone, including visitors. I have no worries regarding Mum as I know she is safe and well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My father stayed at Appleby House for 2 weeks respite. During his time there we found the staff delightful and friendly, extremely caring and thoughtful. The facilities are very good and the en-suite rooms clean and bright. There are numerous activities to join in with and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My sister is (in her words) much happier in Appleby House.
My staff are all very caring and happy and know all residents by first name.
One young man there is just delightful and my sister loves him. The manager and deputy manager are so helpful and made a traumatic time (for me) go as easy as possible.
I am so pleased to have chosen Appleby House for my sister to live in.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

Lovely home for our mum. The staff are friendly, warm and caring. Nothing is too much for them toward the residents and their families.
Appleby is always clean in all areas. Mum's room is always immaculately clean and tidy and always smells lovely. It has taken some time for mum to adapt to her new surroundings but the staff are fabulous in encouraging her to maintain her independence.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

This care home was chosen by our family for our mum because it has a homely feel and the really genuine caring people who work there.
Everyone who we meet there is friendly and nothing is too much for them to help you with!
The management has been wonderful helping us through the decision making for mum's future and care. We have found a caring, fun loving and comfortable home for mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My partner has stayed in Appleby House several times for respite care in the last two years. He is always happy there and enjoys the entertainment and activities on offer. All of the staff are kind and caring and the manager and her deputy are both excellent and always willing to discuss any changes needed from the previous stay. I have every confidence that my partner will be well cared for and will benefit from the situation so necessary for an Alzheimer's sufferer.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

Words cannot express my gratefulness as I don't have to worry about my mum, she is very happy, and so well cared for.
The staff are all great and understanding to both me and my mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

An excellent care home, welcoming, efficient and caring. The staff are prepared to go an 'extra mile' to look after my parents. For example, they shared a special Valentine's Day meal together with a red rose and photos.
I looked extensively at care homes in the area before choosing Appleby and have no regrets. Superb management team, carers, cleaners, handymen - everyone really. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

The thought of putting my Dad in a care home was extremely distressing even though he could no longer live at home. I found all the staff friendly, kind and understanding. The home is bright, colourful and cheerful and we always have a lovely welcome tea, coffee and cake in one of the many lounges.
There are always activities for the residents to do to keep them stimulated and busy.
Artwork with the local school is beautiful, lots of musical activities, may go to the carvery into Epsom, or just to local tourist attractions in their own transport.
Dad's room is always clean and fresh-smelling.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

The staff are very caring and kind, and helpful to stimulate my father as he suffers from dementia.
Any requests that I make, there is never a problem for them to solve it.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

Words cannot express how happy I am with the care, support and kindness that both my mother and I have received from the staff and residents at Appleby. The atmosphere is warm, friendly and inviting where residents are treated with the utmost respect and dignity. I now have peace of mind with the knowledge that my mother is receiving excellent care and encouragement to engage in the many activities that Appleby has to offer. If I ever reach the stage of being in need of a care home - then Appleby would be my home of choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

Appleby House provides a comfortable, friendly environment for residents. Staff are always friendly and welcoming and the accommodation always warm and clean. My mother has on several occasions told me that she is well fed and enjoys the food.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My mother came to Appleby in October and I was very worried, but after a week or so I was much more relaxed. The care and activities are first class. The food is very good, with plenty of it. The staff are very pleasant and everywhere is very clean. First rate.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

The transition of moving my 95 year old mum from her 1 bedroom flat into Appleby House, Epsom was effortless. It is the most happiest place and all the staff are so welcoming and friendly. Nothing is too much trouble and the environment is fantastic with plenty of activities and entertainment to stimulate her mind.
To see the smile on my mums face is a joy as she is so well looked after and I haven't seen her eat so much for a long time. Her general well-being and morale is so improved.
Thank you Care UK.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

Appleby House goes from strength to strength. The fact that they have been nominated for awards in dementia care, for both the manager and the home, reflect the happy atmosphere and good conditions apparent in the home. My mother is very comfortable and content and I am secure in the knowledge she is well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

I wish to thank Appleby House staff and management for the care and support they gave to my wife so much so that she is able to leave the care home and came home permanently.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

When I first went to visit my grandmother at Appleby House I admit I was rather apprehensive. Within minutes after being greeted by the extremely friendly and caring staff I felt completely at ease that my grandmother who is suffering from dementia is in the best place possible. Since moving in my grandmother is much less anxious and spends a lot less time upset. She engages with the daily activities and enjoys the coffee trips and mystery bus tour. Having eaten a meal at Appleby House myself I feel the food is of an excellent standard offering multiple choice to the residents. I feel so happy knowing my grandma is in a place that truly cares about her and treats her with dignity and cannot reiterate enough how lovely all the staff are.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

I'm so impressed with the care my mother-in-law is receiving. It's so clear that she is well looked after. She was very anxious and lonely in her own home following her husband's death earlier this year. It's really good to see her looking much more relaxed, smiling and chatting since she has been admitted to the home. Mum-in-law has Alzheimer's disease which brings its own challenges. It's very encouraging that the staff at Appleby House are able to treat her as a person, to see beyond the illness. I'm really pleased and very much relieved that she is now receiving the care she so obviously needs. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

Appleby House offer gentle care where nothing is too much trouble. They always have time to stop to talk with residents and find out about their interests. Every Tuesday the residents can go out on local trips and activities are organised during the week including 'keep fit'. My aunt always looks clean and cared for. Perhaps the best thing about Appleby House is the happy atmosphere. It is always a pleasure to visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

I speak for mum's family in passing on our really positive experience and thanks for the 110% of care and attention afforded to mum by Appleby. The home has excellent staff and management who are keen to "get it right" for the residents in general. There is genuine kindness and care and offer to all including some of the more vulnerable residents. We also note that the range of activities and routines for all is inclusive and comprehensive. Well done Appleby and thank you!

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My partner went into the care home when I could no longer care (for respite). When the decision was made permanent the family and I looked at many before agreeing that none of the others came anywhere near in our estimation. For me the biggest asset is the staff from the top down. We are both treated with care and dignity. The carers are always interacting with the clients and obviously love their job. The atmosphere is happy. There are plenty of varied activities by "Oomph" and the staff at every level communicate with me both on site and if easy by phone. They have all made a difficult time so much easier and I thank them all.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

Excellent service provided by all staff. My mother in law is a very challenging lady with mood swings and what ever she throws at them they deal with in an exceptionally professional manor quickly dissipating any issues arising. The staff are very pleasant and always say hello and ask if they can do anything for you i.e. tea, coffee. We as a family are very pleased and may I say lucky to have these services from the team at Appleby House. Many thanks!

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

The care received by my mother is first class. From day one my family have been made more than welcome at all times. The manager and under manager emphasised this is her home now and want to make it as homely as possible, which they have done. The atmosphere is very good and the carers work very hard. I can't fault the home and I am pleased I do not have to worry about her welfare.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My mother has only been in this care home for just under two months but as soon as we walked in we could sense the happy atmosphere there. The manageress, deputy and staff always have a smile on their faces, the tailor-made food is worthy of a five star restaurant standard and I can speak from personal experience as we can dine with my mum whenever we wish to. Each resident is clearly very special and treated like a VIP, in fact nothing is too much trouble for them. My mum's room is very spacious and comfortably furnished and the whole of the care home rooms, recreation centres, bathing, toilet and kitchen facilities are meticulously clean. The activities are many and varied. The entertainers who visit engage with the residents with music and singing which contributes greatly to their happiness and well-being. Both my daughter and I feel very fortunate my mum receives such respect and loving care and in our opinion the care home is quite literally the next best thing to being in your own home.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My mother has settled into the home very well and I can only put this down to the quality of the staff and management. They have paired her with another resident and a true friendship has evolved which has removed the and anxiety which my mother had on initially moving into the home in March.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

Best place to go- everyone looked after me so well and I feel better. (Two weeks care)

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

Appleby House has made my mum most welcome there, she had lost a lot of weight before she went into the home, since being there over a few months she has now gained weight and put on one stone. I cannot fault the care that she has received there, she has settled in there and loves it. All the staff from the Managers to the cleaners are so friendly and really can't do enough for her and the family. It was a god send for me that mum got into this home. Not only because it is close to where I live but I also she her more now.
A brilliant home and staff. Thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My nan looks and feels like a new person since moving into Appleby. The staff are lovely and are a credit to the manager.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My mum's mobility is very poor. She needs assistance to even get out of a chair. I cannot fault the care, patience and kindness shown by the carers, who are there to help and assist to stop mum falling over. She is a big lady and I would not know how to help her. She is encouraged to join in activities which before going to Appleby she wouldn't have done. She would have just sat in a chair all day watching T.V. My family and I are so pleased she is in Appleby as we know she is well looked after. She has settled down and now we know she wouldn't want to go anywhere else and we wouldn't want her to.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

Since my mother has been in Appleby House she has gained weight. I have never seen her eat so well, she enjoys the music and other activities they provide, she appears very happy and content and I am also happy knowing she is in safe hands and well looked after. Appleby House and its staff are a god send.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

I have used Appleby House on several occasions at very short notice and have found them to be helpful, accommodating and sympathetic to my needs. Staff are kind and caring in every way, nothing is too much trouble, they treat the quests/residents with the utmost respect and are aware of each persons individual needs. I have found II to be run in a professional manor. yet the office staff are approachable at all times and full of information and advice to help steer you in they right direction at a difficult and confusion time for the whole family. I am happy in the knowledge that my mum is very well cared for on the occasions I have left her in Appleby House capable hands. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

I am delighted with the care and services my aunty receives from all the staff at Appleby she is happy and well looked after. I have no worries at all.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

We are extremely happy with the quality of care given to my mother who resides in Appleby House. The care/nursing staff are so hard working, caring and attentive. The meals are well presented and smell delicious. Nothing is too much trouble. We feel blessed my mother is in such a caring and loving environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Extremely Likely

My wife has been to Appleby House for respite care, 6 weeks per year, for 14 years. The care has steadily improved to what I consider a high standard. All staff, especially senior staff, make the place so good, though the ground floor nature of the modern build is a great starting point. Many of the staff are long serving. The friendly efficient atmosphere is very good. my wife is well looked after here.

How likely would you be to recommend Appleby House? Likely

I found this home to be very caring. All the staff are excellent in the care they provide. It gives me and my family peace of mind to know my mum is well cared for and very happy.

Submit a Review for Appleby House

posted 22 May 2018

Please call us on for current bed vacancies

December 2017

Shona

Shona Bradbury

Joined: 2014

Shona Bradbury is the home manager at Appleby House. She talks about her favourite part of the day, and her plans for the future.

I haven’t been at Appleby House long – I joined as home manager in early 2014 – but I’m completely committed to meeting the challenge of making this home the care home of choice for people in the Epsom area. I want us to have full occupancy and a waiting list!

As home manager I’m passionate about providing the best possible care to residents to enhance their lives. I love involving residents and my team in how things are run. I believe my role is to lead by example to create a good culture at Appleby House. That can come down to things like how I speak to people, being smiling and positive and being a good team player. It’s my job to motivate staff and promote their development through training and supervision. I thrive on working with my team to bring about change – stretching them and seeing positive change happen.

I have to say that the best part of the day for me is walking around the home talking to residents and staff. We always have a good laugh and it’s the time when I get the inspiration to make any changes that are needed. But what I don’t need to change at Appleby House is the terrific atmosphere: it’s really friendly and welcoming, and new people visiting us are always really struck by that. We also offer a huge range of quality care services – particularly around dementia care – and this sets us apart from our competitors too.

I’ve lots of plans for Appleby House over the coming months, including increasing the social activities for residents, improving the dining experience for them and sprucing up the home. There’s lots to do but I’ve a great team, so I’m confident we can make it happen.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Appleby House