Maycroft Residential Care, Royston, Cambridgeshire

Maycroft Residential Home is an attractive care home, found in the quiet village of Meldreth just ten miles from Cambridge, and offers personalised residential services to 25 residents from the surrounding counties, including those with dementia.

Group: Advinia Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Lynn Ward (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Cambridgeshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 25 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Phone Point in own room/Mobile

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Maycroft Residential Care: click here

9.7 Maycroft Residential Care has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.706)

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Maycroft Residential Care is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 26 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Maycroft Residential Care in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 21 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.706 for Maycroft Residential Care is calculated as follows: ( (229 Excellents x 5) + (69 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 309 Ratings = 4.706

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Maycroft Residential Care is based on 21 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 5 positive Reviews (25 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 21 Reviews ÷ 5 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Maycroft Residential Care?

Reviewer Connection to Maycroft Residential Care

• Brother-in-law of Resident/Service User

Maycroft has a very homely and friendly atmosphere. Whenever my husband and I visit we are always greeted warmly by the staff who we now know very well, along with some of the residents, since my father-in-law moved into the Home in April 2016. We love the fact that the residents congregate to chat and socialise with the staff and visitors, so no-one is left out.

We are confident that my father-in-law is being well looked after and he tells us that he really enjoys living at Maycroft, which surely means there can be no better recommendation.

How likely would you be to recommend Maycroft Residential Care? Extremely Likely

My mother is well cared for in the home, her needs are met she is clean and well dressed.
She is treated with respect and included in activities.
Any problems or issues with mum I am quickly informed.
She has a nice bedroom and a favourite chair in the lounge that she manages to use every day.

The management and supervision is outstanding. The staff display a safe and caring attitude. The food is excellent. Plenty of involving internal activities and outside trips are provided to motivate and satisfy those fit enough to benefit from them.

Although 92 this year my mother, who is suffering from dementia has achieved a remarkable improvement in her physical well-being and appears relaxed and settled in a relatively short period of time. All the staff seem attentive and supportive to the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Maycroft Residential Care? Likely

I was incredibly worried when I had to put my husband in a care home because one does hear some bad reports, but as soon as I found Maycroft Residential Care, my fears disappeared. When we took him in he was welcomed with open arms, introduced to everyone and shown to his room which was light and airy and looked out over the lovely gardens. Almost immediately, I realised it was like a home from home and I needn't worry. The carers are extremely patient and loving and my husband actually enjoys being there. The food is excellent and above all, a cup of tea, his one love is always available. I can visit at any time at all and always welcome with a cup of tea. The other patients are always happy and contented and there is often a quiz game or sing-song going on which they enjoy. Management and staff are always available to discuss any problems I may have and are only too pleased to help. I cannot speak too highly of Maycroft Residential Care and its staff. I really don't know where I would be without them.

Dad has dementia and after lots of thought and visiting various care homes we decided that this home would be the most suitable. He could not have been made more welcome. The staff are extremely kind and thoughtful and put him at ease. As long as dad has a cup of tea and good food he is happy!! He certainly has that!! The bedrooms are comfortable, clean and adequate, overlooking the beautiful gardens. The home organises entertainment and trips. Dad went to Audley End and fed the ducks he loved it. The management always sends me photos of dad, they not only care for dad they care for the families too. I rate this home 10/10.

I live 300 miles away and cannot visit as often as I would like but I am almost invariably welcomed by name by staff on arrival.
The atmosphere is always friendly with staff keen to fill me in on my mother's participation in recent activities, although I suspect a hint of exaggeration as to the extent of her contribution. The Maycroft offers a range of activities and whilst my mother's ability to participate is limited, she still benefits from the musical and singing activities. These days, she would probably be quite happy to stay in bed all day, but they make the effort to get her up, dressed and into the dayroom. Whilst she needs to be put back to bed in the afternoon, her door remains open with music playing which she always liked at home. I have never doubted that she is well cared for. Recommendation - provision of sheltered accommodation for partner to reside in.

Maycroft Residential Care is a warm, friendly home - a 'home from home'. The residents are managed in a highly professional but caring way. The staff are friendly and genuinely caring people who take pride in their work. There is a lot of happiness in this home with lovely, welcoming staff. The care given to the residents is second to none. We would have no hesitation in recommending to others.

Sadly this was the month my brother-in-law died. He was in Maycroft for four years during which time he had superb care from all the members of staff. The accommodation was excellent, all the food was beautifully cooked by the chef and assistants. The entertainment was great with regular visits from singers which all the residents thoroughly enjoyed. All in all, even though my sister would liked to have looked after her husband at home she could not have managed so Maycroft made her life so much better of the wonderful way they looked after him.

Whenever I visit my Dad I always get a very warm welcome from the staff.
I often visit unannounced and my Dad is always happy and often engaged in activities that the home provides.
His room is clean and tidy.
The food seems of a high standard and is well presented. Two choices of main meal are offered.
Dad is always clean and tidy.

Four and a half years ago, my husband had to go into a care home. I visited many before I decided on Maycroft Residential Care. I used to visit several times a day, lunch time, mornings and even during the night. During my husband's time at Maycroft Residential Care, it became a second home to both myself and my husband, the staff were great, very understanding and treated my husband with dignity. I could not praise the carers and management enough because of the care and love I found there. I still visit.

A calm, caring environment.
Residents treated with humility and respect.
A varied range of activities on offer.

My mother has been a resident of Maycroft for three years. She has dementia, has a suprapubic catheter, cannot walk, talk and often lashes out in frustration. She is treated with respect and cared for very well. The staff always shave time for the residents even though they are constantly busy. There is always an activity twice a day and music which the residents love. The food is freshly made and of a high standard. The staff are friendly and caring and keep relatives informed.

A great care home. My mother has received the best of care from the friendly staff for the last couple of years. I would not hesitate in recommending this home.
My mother's keyworker has been super. She always contacts me with any changes in my mother's condition.

Excellent care home, staff very caring and treat us all with dignity. Food outstanding.

I came into contact with Maycroft Residential Care when my dear love, my partner, became a resident. My distress was very evident to the manager and staff. We were helped through a very difficult time, our distress was assuaged. The comfort and cleanliness (sparkling is the word!!), the consistent help my lady has and continues to receive, I am welcomed on my daily visits, I have I have lunch daily and the food is excellent and varied. The activities and visits to places bespeak an attitude and approach to the residents needs both mental and physical! I cannot speak too highly of Maycroft Residential Care.

My husband who had advanced Alzheimer's and therefore very little language or understanding was very happy and contented in this home. During the last 4 months, he became bed bound as the illness advanced. As I do not drive and live alone, I did not want this as it would have meant I could visit him every day or at night if necessary. The manager and senior staff decided he should stay in his own room with a hospital bed and mattress. Suitable food was prepared and he was kept clean and comfortable for the last 14 weeks of his life. They kept me well informed of any changes and liaised regularly with the G.P. He could not have been better looked after anywhere else and certainly not in the hospital. He recognised the regular staff and allowed them to help him to the line.

Since arriving at Maycroft, my sister has gained weight and her overall health and wellbeing has improved beyond all expectations. The care she receives at Maycroft has without a doubt extended her life.

My father suffered from Gait Apraxia (an inability to control the movement of his legs or to balance steadily) and a rapid onset of unspecified dementia.
He was a resident of Maycroft for approximately seven months. We chose Maycroft following visits to many care homes within a 20 miles drive from our home in Hertfordshire.
Above everything, we wanted a small, hands-on establishment, 25 residents was ideal.
At every level, my father was looked after in a manner which met his every need. We could visit at any time (including meal times). The resident chefs were good and were part of the whole care delivery solution. The manager was always available for open discussions and each and every carer, irrespective of their own age, treated my father, the other residents and ourselves with the utmost courtesy and respect.
We visited many care homes, don't judge by the quality of the building, carpets and drapes.
Maycroft stands head and shoulders above the rest.

The ones with dementia could be a bit more segregated from those with more sound minds. The care home is very, very good clean and tidy. The staff are always welcoming and polite. Overall I'm am please my brother is in such a good home.

This is a wonderful home with really caring staff and excellent management. My mother, who has Alzheimer's, has done really well since moving here. She loves the activities and entertainments put on for the residents.

All staff are caring and considerate and we are more than happy that mum is well cared for. The home is clean and the rooms are pleasant and bright. There are activities and a selection of singers go in on a regular basis. Overall an excellent home.

My mother has been a resident at Maycroft for some time. I have never had cause to question the standard of care she has received. The staff have always been approachable. Although my mother has dementia, she has an excellent rapport with the staff, both nursing and ancillary. I am very happy with the home.

My brother had motor neurone disease and was aged 59. The care and devotion from the staff was remarkable, he wanted for nothing. He was so young and as the disease progressed the staff were wonderful in the way they cared for him. The home is not a luxurious one, but look further and what is important is the quality of staff, which this home has. The residents are catered for in every way, with various activities every afternoon.
The Manager is to be complemented on the way this home is run. I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone thinking of putting a dear one in residence here.

Maycroft Care Home is first class. All the residents are very happy, comfortable and very well cared for. Food entertainment is provided, relatives and friends are always welcomed to visit at any time. The staff are all very friendly and willing to answer any questions asked.

Caring and helpful. Staff make this a friendly and efficient home with my limited experience. I suspect the residents are comfortable and seem happy. They respond to residents needs professionally with care and compassion.

How likely would you be to recommend Maycroft Residential Care? Likely

Submit a Review for Maycroft Residential Care

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Maycroft Residential Care