Bemerton Lodge, Salisbury, Wiltshire

Bemerton Lodge is registered for fifty-six residents and offers a team of skilled and friendly carers, able to provide care for older people and those with dementia, while also being able to offer day care.

Care homes from The Orders of St John Care Trust are well respected in Lincolnshire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire where the voluntary sector charity has a strong presence after seeing healthy growth since it first opened homes in 1992.

All residents are supported in the pursuit of active lifestyle and personal interests, while benefitting from a care philosophy that prioritises dignity and independence alongside health, safety and security.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Carol Wootton (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wiltshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 56 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Independent Living Training • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Bemerton Lodge: click here

9.5 Bemerton Lodge has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.505)

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Bemerton Lodge is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 32 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Bemerton Lodge in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.791 for Bemerton Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (308 Excellents x 5) + (70 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 383 Ratings = 4.791

The 4.714 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Bemerton Lodge is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11.2 positive Reviews (56 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 11.2 Target = 0.714

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Bemerton Lodge?

Reviewer Connection to Bemerton Lodge

I came to visit my friend in June when it was the National Care Home Open Day, I was delighted to be able to join in the fun at the home. Everyone got involved from the domestic team to the home manager and there was easily 100 people visiting at the time. We had great fun talking to the fire brigade that had been invited.
I visit very often and am always impressed by the high standards of care. My friend has lived there since April and is very happy to be there.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I found the care home excellent in all aspects.
The staff were one hundred percent and a special mention to one of the carers.
I would highly recommend.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I quite enjoy the music which is on in the lounge as it varies. Chairs are very comfy. Very friendly and I feel comforted in the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

My gran has just moved into the carehome following a long stay in the hospital, the care staff that showed my family around were clearly so kind and caring and it was obvious to everyone how well cared for and loved the residents were. The manager is an absolute gem, she came and assessed my gran and was able to reassure her at all steps of the process. On the day of the move itself they allocated a specified carer to spend time with my gran and help settle her in, she's been in the home since the beginning of March and is so much happier already.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

Lovely, kind staff. Feel loved, good food and a happy place to be.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I visit 3 times a week to see my mother who has lived at the home for 3 years. I cannot express enough how happy I am with the care. Everyone from management, auxiliary and care have always been friendly, compassionate and caring towards her, she always tells me how kind everyone is and how much she enjoys being in the home. I attend events held by the home, always impressed with the dedication the manager and her deputy have when it comes to events or outings they arrange, they often do this out of working hours and my mother often comments how this is such a positive experience for her.
Having seen various care homes it is not often that this level of dedication and commitment is witnessed.
As my mother's needs changed the home has always kept me informed of any changes.
Recently I visited when they were taking part in a sensory deprivation challenge, this was just another level of dedication from the management and whole team.
As a family, we all know what great care they give.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I am writing to thank you at Bemerton Lodge for the wonderful care provided to my Mother. I was so happy when my mother was placed in your home, as a Community Mental Health Team Nurse I was always so impressed by the ethos held by both the manager and her deputy. They lead a strong team that truly strives to promote excellence in the care provided. I would like to pass on my thanks to the special team of staff that supported my mothers throughout some difficult months.
The times when she was confused, distressed, angry and wanting to leave, she always remarked that the staff were lovely and the food was good.

The staff were so supportive at all times and reassured me with care/ support. I was in the room with her staying 24 hours a day the week prior to her passing, various staff visited and brighten my day. I could hear their caring approaches towards residents, I became aware of how hard they work. I would like to add that every one of the staff were always pleasant and helpful. Thank you so much.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I saw at the home the opportunity to complete a review, I feel strongly that as a person who purchases a service from this establishment, I should voice my ratings on the product provided.
I find this service to be top notch, the workers act with integrity and kindness to the highest level. The love and affection they show my mother, despite her ageing years and increased confusion is nothing short of a blessing.
I spent many hours looking at old people's homes and although not as posh and modern as some, this home far outranked them due to the kindness and consideration that is shown by those employed. The residents, my mother included, always seem happy and well kept.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I enjoyed a lovely trip to the seaside. The staff were lovely. I enjoyed the fish and chip supper. I like my time at this place as we have a giggle. They understand me and treat me as an equal. I think it is a lovely place to be and I would recommend this highly of course.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

Granny had lived with us for 15 years. She is going to be 100 in March 2017. Bemerton Lodge is a wonderful homely place. The care is second to none. The amount of encouragement, activities and care is unbelievable. The families of the residents are welcomed in as part of the family. They are always friendly and are never too busy to discuss any worries you may have. Rooms and cleanliness a credit to them. They all go beyond their call of duty.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

My relative has been here for a number of years. As a family we have always found the staff to be extremely caring and compassionate. The manager and her deputy are approachable and extremely thoughtful and caring, an ethics the care team resonate. The home is rather old and I was pleased to hear is getting a well deserved refurbishment.
My relative has Dementia and at times can be quite challenging, however this is handled in a professional and understanding manner.
The carer team are a group of outstanding individuals and as a family we are extremely grateful for all they do. The food is simple but taste lovely, it's not fancy but as our relative had gained weight it is obviously nutritious.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

Lovely carers and food. Room is clean. I get to live how I want.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I visited the home at the beginning of March when they were holding a type of dog show to celebrate the beginning of crufts. I was visiting my Nan and from what I could see there was a couple of carers showing pictures of dogs and residents were able to pick 1st 2nd 3rd and so on. My Dad has often said that he sees various things taking place when he visits his Mum, my Nan and I was really pleased to be able to see this for myself.
The lady that let me in was very helpful as it was my first visit to the home, she showed me where Nan was and made us a lovely tray of hot drinks and biscuits.
During my visit I saw several lovely interactions between the team and the residents. My Nan always says how lovely the boys and girls are and I can now say first hand that this is so true.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

My nanny has been at Bemerton for a while, she is so happy and content. The staff can't do enough for you from the top down. The home thankfully is staying which for us as a family is wonderful. As to move this would be a disaster. Although I'm glad that they are getting a well deserved over haul. The home has such a lovely caring and fun atmosphere, the staff treat people as people and the place feels like a family. The manager and deputy are always so cheerful and friendly and make you feel part of the team. The carers have a warmth and empathy that shines, the cleaning staff work hard and seem to know the residents. The residents always seem happy and content.
I've seen staff manage some difficult situations with compassion,understanding and skill. There is always something going on and my nanny says she is asked to be part of decisions in the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I love living here, they are all so very nice/kind.

All the girls are lovely. I'm well looked after. I like the garden I sit in it a lot with the door open. The staff cant do enough for you, do above and beyond.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I came to visit my great aunt on Saturday and at the time the home was having it's annual summer fete. It truly was wonderful, the many staff were seen either running stalls or having fun with the residents. There was a man playing a guitar and people up and dancing around. Some stalls were from the community which was lovely to see as my great aunt commented that they felt part of the wider community. I met several staff on my visit including the manager and deputy who were running stalls and taking photos. All interactions were lovely. I had an opportunity to look round the home and browse through a brochure, I loved the themed corridors and how it was clear the residents were involved throughout. The home is a bit old but was clean and homely, my first impressions were nothing but positive. I really enjoyed my first visit to the home and cannot wait to visit again. After talking to my great aunt I was sad and shocked to hear that the home is moving next year. As someone who works in the same sector as a social worker I have the opportunity to visit a variety of different homes offering support to different dependencies of clients and see some good and some badly run homes. Bemerton Lodge is by far the best I have seen with regards to inclusion, dignity and respect.
It would be a shame to lose this by merging the home to a larger facility.
Keep up the good work!

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

Ruth O'Dea, Home Manager at Bemerton Lodge responded to this review on 24 Aug 2015:

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review. We’re so pleased you enjoyed our fete and it was lovely chatting to you. I look forward to seeing the puppy soon, don’t worry it gets better. While it will be sad to move from Bemerton Lodge, our new home is going to be fantastic in terms of being more up to date, with more space and lots of benefits for residents and staff. Please don’t worry about us losing the homely feel, with everyone being involved – that is all down to the people – and they will stay the same wherever we are!

Well run and the carers are a joy to be with, nothing is too much trouble under trying circumstances.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

The home is superb, the staff are a group of fine professionals. My needs are fully catered for, I have plenty of fruit served to me in my room. The staff always listen to me and do as instructed. The staff pop in to me throughout the day to see I am well. My room is small but the warmth/care I receive is vast.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

The girls are so lovely, we have a laugh and when I am sad we have a cuddle. They are all so kind to me, I never feel alone. The managers door is always open for a natter. We have a cat and we are getting another one. We go walking with the managers dogs once a week around the local area.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

Of course it was a difficult decision to move my aunt, then in her mid-90s, into care, but given her increasing dementia she could no longer live independently safely. Bemerton Lodge has been her home for the past three and a half years. The Bemerton staff are well-trained for helping a new resident transition into a life in care and have been consistently kind, attentive and responsive. I would recommend it without hesitation.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

Dad couldn't manage at home so was taken into Bemerton Lodge. As a family we hated this idea as dad had always been so independent, relishing his life at home and enjoying life in his village. From the moment dad went in he was incredibly well looked after, nothing was ever too much trouble; even reading the sports pages in the Salisbury journal to him as his sight had all but gone! When we visited dad we were always welcomed and offered endless cups of tea which dad approved of!
All staff took time to chat to dad, always listening to what he had to say. Sadly when it became very clear that dad was very poorly the love and care that dad received was second to none. We were welcomed too at all hours and so well looked after, never ever feeling we shouldn't be there with our dad in his final days.
To all at Bemerton Lodge a huge heartfelt thank you for taking such great care of dad in his last few months- you did a marvellous job.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

Ruth O'Dea, Home Manager at Bemerton Lodge responded to this review on 14 Aug 2015:

Thank you for your fantastic comments, it was an absolute pleasure getting to know your amazing Dad and all of you as a family. He is greatly missed by us all and we still feel a sense of loss without him here with us at Bemerton Lodge. The scarf was gratefully received!

I have lived here a while now. I like the staff, cheerful and helpful. Food is good. Room is nice- being personalised by staff. Lady in the office in charge is a beauty.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I am quite happy at Bemerton Lodge although miss being in my own place but that is now a fact of growing old. I am more comfortable in receiving the care and help it takes time to adapt but I am more appreciative and have sense of fun with the carers.
My son takes me out most days and so I am lucky compared to others but the home knows this is good for me and gives them some peace!

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

Having seen two and a half years residing for my elderly mother. I can reiterate the home provides a very good level of care with friendly understanding staff. Never mind mum as a resident it takes a good while for their relative to see how everything works and fits into place to get an honest opinion. The building whilst old and a new home being built has a very homely feeling set in well established grounds with da day centre next door. It's so difficult being faced with needing care for an elderly parent but I remain very happy with Bemerton Lodge. Mum is much more settled, safe and well cared for. I enjoy my regular daily visits and the engagement with all the staff and other residents. I look back now and am thankful for the choice made in some difficult days

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I have been her for a few years. I have been on a holiday and done rock climbing and shooting a bow and arrow.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

My Aunt has been a resident at Bemerton Lodge for over three years. No one can pretend that moving from independent living into care is going to be an easy process. Sometimes circumstances demand that decisions are not going to be wholly made by those elderly relatives for whom we care most. Levels of responsibility have to be reached to ensure their safety and general well-being. In my Aunt's case, well into her 90's, she has had to face a new chapter in her life. Thanks to the warm and caring attitude of the staff at Bemerton Lodge this transition, despite it's occasional ups and downs, has offered her some peace and a world free of a level of anxiety for her final years. Skilled in their day to day running of the home, the inevitable physical problems of old age, in some cases dementia and it's consequences, Bemerton offers a friendly and open environment. The management are extremely pleasant and easy to deal with. I do not think that my Aunt, through her active life, really envisaged having to spend her last few years in care - however that she is now resident in Bemerton Lodge and the Order of St.John is a blessing we can be grateful for.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

My father was cared for by the staff of Bemerton Lodge with love care and dignity in the last two months of his life. Myself and my family knew he was in safe hands and were always warmly greeted when we went to visit Dad. Even after his passing they showed great compassion with several of the staff attending his funeral and extending their condolences to us. Thank you to them all.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

Having worked in care for forty years, my distress was overwhelming, when I had to find a care home for my father. The home chosen was Bemerton Lodge care home. On first visit the home looked very tired and worn out, and I instantly wanted to take my father home, but decided to leave him there for the weekend and re evaluate later. On returning to the home, the difference in my father was unbelievable! He was eating, drinking and mobilising so well. The staff had spent a lot of time, talking, reassuring and encouraging my father, making him completely at ease. He was registered blind, making things more difficult for him to find his way around, but the patience and understanding from the staff was unlimited. Many family and friends visited him during the time he spent there, and everyone was greeted by the same caring approach. Nothing was too much effort for the team. Sadly my father's condition deteriorated and his final journey in life was ending. The staff encouraged us to visit whenever, and even brought a bed so we could stay 24 hours by his side. He peacefully passed away, with family close by. The staff treated my father with the utmost dignity, care and respect, and the same was given to us all.
My initial fears were unfounded, and I would not hesitate to recommend anyone to Bemerton Lodge.
One final comment is Never judge a book by the cover, look inside and read a few pages before making your decision.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I visited to look around with a view to helping my friend place her mother some time ago. Since then she has moved in the improvement in her is remarkable, her dementia progresses but we see more of her personality of years ago. I feel this is due to the time the staff all spend with her helping her to keep doing the house hold tasks she is use to doing. The home is old, with a bit of money it could improve further with regards to the environment, The staff themselves are perfect the way they are. You can see that they try to make the best of what they have, they have this fabulous corridor of beach hut doors so bright and cheerful. The office doors with management is always open and they are very approachable.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I've been here a while now, it's my home, they guys and gals look after me well. I need more help now and they all do this well. The food is nice and I get plenty. I like that we are like a family we have fun and share a joke.

How likely would you be to recommend Bemerton Lodge? Extremely Likely

I live at Bemerton Lodge and have done for some time. I enjoy my time here. The staff deal with some very difficult situations and do so much with so much patience and kindness. They still retain so bright and cheerful no matter what. It is a difficult job, there have been many bad reports on the TV. I am so lucky to have been place here, I would wish for nowhere else. The whole team from the top down deserve so much praise.

Submit a Review for Bemerton Lodge

November 2014

National Carer of the Year 2014

Recipient: Bemerton Lodge

Date: Friday 28 Nov 2014

Ruth

Ruth O'Dea

Joined: 2008

The fifty six residents at Bemerton Lodge are looked after by a highly dedicated team of over sixty staff that include carers, administrators and ancillary staff. They are led by the manager who is supported by a Head of Care and a team of Care Leaders.

Ruth O’Dea has been the manager of Bemerton Lodge since 2008. She has over 18 years experience in the care industry focusing on elderly care and has been a Registered Mental Health Nurse having trained at Bournemouth University. She spent time working within Substance Misuse and Older persons long/short stay wards before leaving the NHS to work for OSJCT.

She has completed numerous short courses covering all aspects of caring for the elderly including palliative care. These ensure that all residents on the residential and the Specialist dementia area at Bemerton Lodge receive the best care from staff. Ruth has also completed the Alzheimer’s Society leadership training programme, Champions in Dementia, which ensures the appropriate care is maintained for residents on the Specialist dementia area.

Ruth sets high standards of conduct and performance for herself and her staff. As a result she is proud that every inspection of the homes she has managed, by either the Care Quality Commission or its predecessor - the Commission for Social Care Inspection, has successfully rated them as meeting, or exceeding, the standards of care expected.

The home has achieved Dementia Accreditation within the organisation of OSJCT.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Bemerton Lodge