Avery Mews Care Home, Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire

Avery Mews is a modern, care home with views of the Spen Valley Greenway with residential and dementia care units and a team of professional care staff tending to resident needs. The home offers palliative, dementia, respite and residential care.

Bedrooms at Avery Mews are set across two floor, while each floor has its own living room and dining room, allowing residents to relax and socialise.

The home is surrounded by its own landscaped rockery garden and a popular patio area outside the ground floor dining room, while residents can easily access and be involved with their local community.

Care workers help residents to arrange their rooms how they wish to help them feel at home.

Group: brighterkind

Person in charge: Tracey Simpson (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Kirklees Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 45 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Speech Impairment • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Avery Mews Care Home: click here

posted 18 Jan 2018

Residential and dementia care services available.

9.7 Avery Mews Care Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.732)

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Avery Mews Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 37 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Avery Mews Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.732 for Avery Mews Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (329 Excellents x 5) + (104 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 440 Ratings = 4.732

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Avery Mews Care Home is based on 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9 positive Reviews (45 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 15 Reviews ÷ 9 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Avery Mews Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Avery Mews Care Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

This was the first respite care I had arranged for my mother who suffers from dementia. On a visit to the home, I was impressed by the high standard of cleanliness and decor in the home. There were plenty of carers and cleaning staff on duty. The residents and their clothing were also very clean. I was shown around the home and greeted warmly by the friendly and knowledgeable staff.

When the manager came to our home to carry out her assessment for my mother's care plan, she was very friendly and professional. She assured me my mother would be well looked after.

My mother has spent 10 happy days in respite. She has been extremely well cared for - kept scrupulously clean, laundry is done daily, assisted with all her care needs by warm and kind professionals. The staff were sorry to see my mum leave and she told me she had had a lovely time.

Activities: Don't Know

My dad became concerned for his care in his previous home and saw Avery Mews in the paper and asked me to get him a visit and moved. The manager was so helpful and organised a visit and dad liked the place so much. When a room came available the manager arranged the transfer as I live so far away. The move went smoothly and he was soon settled in his new room. The care he received immediately made him more settled and he always had nice things to say about the staff! Although he didn't eat much, the food was 100% better. The whole environment was so much better and as I say he felt safe. Unfortunately, for my dad aged 96, his stay was shortlived due to his various ailments which suddenly took a turn for the worse. He was soon to pass away, but the staff took care of him so well in his final hours. My sister and I have been made to feel so welcome back at the home and I don't live near but my sister does and knows she will always be welcome. Dad missed out.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I had to take mother for respite care on the 30th April 2017. After assessment by the manager, she was accepted into Avery Mews Care Home where my mother was very well looked after and made perfectly at home there by the care staff. She was there til the 16th May 2017 when she passed away peacefully.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Everything about Avery Mews is a very high standard. The manager is extremely friendly and does an excellent job. All the staff seem to genuinely care for the residents and nothing is too much trouble. The building is more like a hotel and the food/restaurant is top quality.
At last, we feel Mum is receiving excellent care and when we leave her we know we don't have to worry.
Mum is very happy here and that means everything.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Since Mum's admission in November 2016, it has been clear that an ethos of compassion and respecting individual needs pervade all aspects of care in what has become Mum's home. All staff clearly strive to understand and meet the specific needs of each individual resident and there is a real sense that everyone is cared for, not just physically but also psychologically and emotionally in an effort to enable their transition to this new life that, many like my mum did not find easy.
More recently the excellent care given to Mum since admission has been further extended to myself and the rest of her family as we strive to deliver the best possible end of life care for her. My mum has been a very important person in my life and that of my siblings and her grandchildren; we have never wanted anything but the best for her care and have felt really lucky to have found a team and home that have always gone the extra mile to ensure that this wish can and has become a reality.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Good home, supportive staff and care home manager. Staff listen to concerns and act upon them. The home is accommodating to individual needs and change routines to care for individuals within the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Likely

My mother was a resident at Avery Mews from July 2016 to March 2017.
She had dementia and various illnesses but, whilst she was never sure where she was, she always said, "I like it here" when asked.
As care homes go, Avery Mews is one of the best.
The standard of accommodation is excellent and the staff are caring in the best sense of the word and treat (sometimes difficult) residents as people and not patients.
I have visited Mam there lots of time and have nothing bad to say about it.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Mother who suffered from Alzheimer's went to Avery Mews late last year after being in 3 other care homes for respite recovery. This home is exceptional, there are no words to describe the care and affection she received by every member of staff. I never heard anything other than kindness and complete dedication to all the residents, and the standard of cleanliness and hygiene couldn't be faulted. They looked after my Mother until her death earlier this month. Nothing was too much trouble and she died with dignity and peace.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

In the 6 years that my father was in the care of the home, I can honestly say that neither my father or myself had any complaints at all. The home was kept extremely clean with very polite and helpful staff. My father was a very fussy eater but no complaints on that front either.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I cannot thank the staff and everyone at Avery House Care Home enough, their dedication and genuine kindness they showed my mam was truly humbling. They supported her through many difficult times especially at the end of her life, giving her the dignity and respect she deserved. She was happy at Avery Mews and that enabled myself and family to know that she was in safe hands. We would laugh and joke with her, and all the staff always made me feel welcome when visiting. The meals were all prepared to a high standard, the cleanliness and laundry facilities were always immaculate. I would highly recommend Avery House Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Avery Mews Care Home is amazing!! My Mum is a dementia sufferer aged 82 and was living alone in Birmingham. Although she had home care, she was very lonely so I made the decision to move her to be near me. I knew from my initial visit to Avery that Mum would get the care she needed and deserved. The atmosphere was so calming and all the staff that I came into contact with were very welcoming and friendly. The Manager gave 110% to make sure Mums admittance went extremely smoothly. Any questions or concerns that I had, were dealt with in a very professional manner, nothing was too much trouble.
We arrived at the home with Mum, following a 2 hour drive from Birmingham, on a cold dark December evening last year. Mum was welcomed and taken to her room and immediately given something to eat and a nice cup of tea!!
She has now been there for 3 months and her quality of life is so much better. I would highly recommend Avery Mews as I know that Mum is looked after as I would look after her.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Auntie was unable to remain at home due to poor eyesight so my brother and I looked at several care homes in the area and this seemed the nest. This was based on the attractiveness of the lounge, dining area, individual rooms plus the very friendly staff and welcoming atmosphere. Auntie has now been here 17 months and first impressions have proved correct. In the last 4 months, auntie has been quite ill and confined to her room - usually in bed. The care given has been exceptional - Nothing is too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have lived here for 17 months and been well cared for in that time.
At first, I used to go to the lounge and take part in activities; also go to the dining room for meals. In the last five months, I have been unwell and confined to my room but all my needs have been really well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I cannot speak more highly of the level of care and standards at Avery Mews - wonderful!

We contacted Avery Mews whilst trying to find a home for my father as his ability to live alone rapidly declined. As I lived in Australia and my brother in London, we required somebody that we could trust and that was conscientious and the Manager and her staff did not disappoint.

The Manager and the Brighterkind team showed real flexibility during a period that my father was admitted to hospital. We were not hassled or pressured through this period and my father eventually moved into a lovely room. Unfortunately, he only spent 3 days in Avery Mews before he passed away. The care team managed to administer CPR on my dad, restarting his heart and giving the family long enough to join him in the hospital to say goodbye before he passed away.

I will always be eternally grateful to the genuine warmth the team showed my father, and the immediate actions they took with dad before he passed away.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

It was a difficult decision to put my mum in a care home. At 98 she was still physically able but was no longer able to cook for herself or shop and was often confused. She and I looked at 4 care homes and this was the only one she liked. From day 1 the staff have been very helpful, kind and respectful to mum. I live in Australia but was in England to put mum in the home. Staff were always welcoming and allowed her to have all the things in her room she needed including a glass of wine when she wanted one. Since I came home they helped her to Skype me on the tablet- which I could not have done in her home. I also send her a short newsletter with photos and the staff download it and print it out for her. I feel more in contact with her than when she was living in her own home. My brother lives nearby and visits regularly and both of us know my mother is safe, particularly as she is gradually losing more of her speech and understanding of language.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Avery Mews is a warm, caring and happy home which offers residents and visitors a true "home from home" feeling. Making the decision to locate a loved one into a home is very difficult, but the management and staff at Avery do all they can to make this decision as smooth and happy as possible. I can leave mum knowing that she is in safe hands at all times, but really appreciate the effective communication relating to mum's care. I would not hesitate to recommend this home to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Throughout the time I have been involved with Avery Mews circa 3 years, I have been very impressed with the staff who worked in the dementia unit. The dignity and respect that they afforded my mum and husband was exemplary. Their level of compassion and care was like nothing I had experienced before. True unsung heroes.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum was at Avery Mews Care Home for 17 months. I have only praise for all the staff who looked after my mum until her death. Before her passing, they showed love, care and compassion towards her and has a family that is all we could wish for. When my mum was very ill, not only did they look after her, they looked after her family. Could not wish for better staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

As a family, we cannot praise the care and support afforded our mum highly enough. She was always treated with dignity, respect, sympathy and love. Throughout her time at Avery Mews, the staff were amazing and always made us welcome on every visit, creating a true "family" atmosphere. We would not have wished for a much better place to spend her final few years. Thank you to all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

This home is second to none. The care, empathy and concern showed by the Manager and her team were exemplary. Food and facilities are of a very high standard. Unfortunately, my friend passed away in June but I couldn't have wished for him to have been cared for, tortured by dementia, in a better place. Thank you!

Everything here at Avery Mews is first class,
The care from all the girls is wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble for them. The food (all meals) are very good. The cleanliness is always good.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

First impression was lovely. Clean home in pleasant surroundings. The staff are always welcoming and friendly, easy to talk to and cannot do enough to help. Well done girls. My aunt has settled in nicely and always remarks "it's lovely here isn't it". Especially when she can sit in the garden on a sunny day. Also no complaints about the food. It makes us all happy and at ease to know that my relation is happy too. Thanks to all.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent care, lovely clean home. Carers first class. Excellent food. This is a first class home.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I would recommend Avery Mews Care Home to anyone looking for a care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

In my opinion living at Avery Mews makes me feel happy. I have freedom from responsibilities. I love everything about Avery Mews and I am glad to be here.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am so happy we've been able to get my mum into Avery Mews. We had no experience of care homes and all the team have been very helpful, professional and committed to making the whole process so easy and stress free.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

As a registered general nurse with several years experience, I have found Avery Mews to provide excellent, caring, empathetic care.
All staff are approachable, helpful.
I have visited several homes in my line of work, Avery Mews is clean, inviting and caring. Nothing is too much trouble.
I would like to congratulate the staff for all their hard work.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very caring and professional. Beautiful home, well kept. Staff friendly and helpful. Food very good. Would highly recommend.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff are very caring to my father. The catering staff provide good quality food.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Our father has recently been put into care as his Altzheimer's had got markedly worse. The manager made this move a lot less stressful. Staff were so considerate and kind. Unfortunately our fathers needs were more than they could provide as he developed psychotic behaviour and more challenging behaviour then they could cope with. The manager and staff were incredibly kind and supportive as we went through the very stressful process of finding a home that would take him. Couldn't speak higher of the staff, care, quality of rooms, dining everything every where.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father has been a resident for almost 3 years until his death last week. He was a dementia sufferer and very vulnerable. Throughout his stay, the home provided a clean, odour free, pleasant environment. The accommodation was such as you would find in a good quality hotel or guest house. The food was food and plentiful. All these are the beginning . At Avery Mews the staff are its major asset. My dad was shown real love and affection which made his life there very pleasant. When dad was nearing the end of his life there very pleasant. When dad was nearing the end of his life my sons and I stayed with him continuously for 48 hours. The support we were given and the consideration we were shown were exemplary.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home has excellent facilities, the management and staff are mostly excellent however one or two staff members need improvement when dealing with residents. Simple things like dressing correctly and checking hearing aids. They just shove then in and do not check to see if batteries are in them or that they are switched on, this is a regular occurrence with my dad. Not just a one off and its the same staff members.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mark Knower, Marketing Manager at Avery Mews Care Home responded to this review on 10 Dec 2015:

Dear Marcia, thank you for your feedback that is mostly very positive about the home and care provided. As you know, from your recent conversation with the Home Manager, the issue involving a few staff members is being dealt with and monitored to make sure positive changes are made. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am delighted with the care that my mum receives at Avery Mews Care Home. It has been a difficult year for me as mum has transitioned from independent living into full time care. The staff have been amazingly supportive to both myself and my mum. I am absolutely re-assured that she is not only well taken care of but that she has a "home" with a lovely atmosphere. I cannot thank the wonderful staff enough for everything that they do.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mum has been a resident at Avery Mews for just over 6 months. As her family, we are very happy and reassured that she receives excellent, individualised care. I am always kept informed of any concerns or changes to her care plan. The home itself is spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. The food and menu are fabulous. Mum is certainly well fed!
The tact and kindness shown by care staff, especially when encouraging personal hygiene and social presentation with residents is reassuring. Activities are arranged to suit the residents and entertainment is a regular feature. I know I can ring Avery Mews, or visit, at any time and be greeted by friendly, caring staff, who can always answer any questions I may have.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent care regarding cleanliness, personal hygiene, quality of food and activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father is a very private person and I feel most importantly his privacy has been well respected by all the staff with whom he comes into contact. They have all shown caring attitudes towards him and have never heard him make an adverse comment about any member of staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Avery Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff, residents and ancillary workers are all very pleasant. You are always welcome. The home is always bright and cheerful. Meals are excellent and those people who need help with eating are helped without fuss. Those who need help with toilets are given help as necessary. There are always sufficient staff to deal with all situations and equipment is first rate. It lives up to its name "Brighter Kind". It is no effort to visit and I would be happy there when I am old.

Submit a Review for Avery Mews Care Home

June 2017

Recipient: brighterkind

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Avery Mews Care Home