Earsdon Grange Care Home

Thorntree Drive, Wellfield, Whitley Bay NE25 9NR

Earsdon Grange Care Home, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear

Located in the seaside town of Whitley Bay and within walking distance of all local amenities, Earsdon Grange is a purpose built care home offering residential care, dementia care and respite care - including long and short-term stays.

The home features en-suite bedrooms and several spacious lounges, as well as a coffee lounge and bar area where residents can socialise with their friends, families and each other.

The experienced care team at Earsdon Grange take care of all the sensitive healthcare needs of residents while respecting their need for an independent and dignified day-to-day lifestyle.

Earsdon Grange benefits from strong links to the local community thanks to a full-time activities coordinator who provides a programme of activities, entertainment, and events that the residents can choose from.

A copy of the home's brochure is available to view instantly which you can access by clicking the 'Request a Brochure' button above and completing the form. Hard copies can be posted to you upon request.

Group: Countrywide Care Homes Ltd

Person in charge: Nicola Bell (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: North Tyneside Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 48 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Parkinson's Disease • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Visitors are welcome at any time.

A car park is located at the front of the home.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Earsdon Grange Care Home: click here

posted 13 Nov 2017

Spacious, en-suite bedrooms available. Suitable for residential and residential Dementia care.

9.5 Earsdon Grange Care Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.499)

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Earsdon Grange Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 33 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Earsdon Grange Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.499 for Earsdon Grange Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (229 Excellents x 5) + (135 Goods x 4) + (30 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 395 Ratings = 4.499

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Earsdon Grange Care Home is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.6 positive Reviews (48 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 9.6 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Earsdon Grange Care Home

I am very happy here at Earsdon Grange.

The staff here are angels and are 100% all of the time. I feel it is more or less like home for me.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

It couldn't be better here at Earsdon Grange. It is very easy to get help when you need it from staff.
The food is very good and activities are great. There are lots of things happening and I always feel involved.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

My mum is very settled and happy at Earsdon Grange, The staff are very caring towards her. She is safe and warm and says the meals are always nice and filling.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father was a resident at Earsdon Grange for two years until his death in July.
I was informed of everything doctors visits, any problems that arose I was informed of.
The staff were excellent with the care my father received he was content and myself and my sister were happy to see this. When he died they treated my father and us with so much dignity. They made his death easier for us.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

My wife moved into Earsdon Grange, Whitley Bay in November 2016.
With the help of a fantastic care staff, she has recovered a lot of her old spark and sense of humour.
She is also walking with a lot more confidence than she was before going into residence.
Well done Earsdon Grange.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

Since living here I have found everything very suitable.
The staff are very helpful and friendly and most considerate towards the residents, with plenty of activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

I am extremely happy with the overall care Earsdon Grange are providing for my father; social, physical and spiritual.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent care home and with outstanding, staff that help and assist all people. There is always a warm welcome when you arrive. I have only seen kindness and compassion to the people that live there.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff that I have met all seem very approachable and any questions are quickly answered or they will do their utmost to find the answer. I had a couple of concerns with the chair in my mother's room as well as the height of the toilet seat, these were quickly dealt with without any fuss being made. The home is always very clean, it has a very active social calendar for the residents. My mother to my mind is very challenging because of her dementia but the staff seem to be very easy going with her and her needs. We as a family cannot praise their patience high enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

Dad was admitted as an emergency admission on the bank holiday after Christmas as he was unsafe at home. The senior carer who met us on arrival was very professional and very caring, not only to Dad but to my wife and myself. Dad settled in very well and quickly and all the staff made a fuss of him, as well as keeping the family informed and answered any questions we had. We would have been very happy to keep dad here because of the level of care he was receiving. We moved him nearer to his home to reduce the travel distance for family and friends. A big thank you to all the staff for helping Dad and the family through a difficult time.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

Some delays in getting help - due to the fact that I need 2 carers and some weren't aware of my condition - left side (useless because of a stroke). Husband taken care of very well although due to the fact the home was unfortunately placed in very noisy area due to movement of staff and large washing machines. Therefore, the "rest" point of view for both of us, didn't happen. Otherwise, pleased with the home in general.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

Nicola Bell, Home Manager at Earsdon Grange Care Home responded to this review on 12 Dec 2016:

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, as discussed prior to the booking being made, the only rooms we had available at the time are located near our laundry facilities. Should you wish to book future stays then we will make all efforts to arrange for two rooms on the opposite corridor. However, we unfortunately cannot guarantee this as it depends on what rooms we have available at the time, and you are more than welcome to visit and look around the rooms we have available prior to booking.

I have explained my feelings regarding my stay at the home on my wife's form. I liked the place, it was very good but a bit disappointed that my wife, at times had to wait for carers (2) due to her stroke condition (left side).

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

Thank you for your feedback and comments regarding your stay with us. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by delays in receiving staff assistance. I can confirm that we are fully staffed as per the recommended staffing levels, and we always try our best to respond immediately to any requests for assistance, though unfortunately we do sometimes experience busy periods when staff are engaged in assisting other residents.

I am relieved and delighted to have found Earsdon Grange where my aunt can spend the rest of her days. The staff are kind and caring and definitely want the best for their residents. My aunt suffers from dementia and would happily spend her days in bed. Fortunately, the staff have other ideas and get her up and dressed. Consequently, she is now much more aware of her surroundings and in a limited way enjoys the activities provided. What quality of life she now has is due to the actions of all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

As I had to go into hospital I needed respite care for my husband who is confined to a wheelchair and is unable to communicate due to a stroke. I found the care he received at Earsdon Grange was excellent! The carers, in fact, all staff treated him with respect and helped him in so many ways. He had a beautiful, clean and nicely decorated room. The food was restaurant quality. There was always some activities on offer. In short, I would highly recommend Earsdon Grange. A big thank you to all the lovely staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

As my mum was at the care home for only one week, it is difficult for me to make an assessment of the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

Fantastic staff who visited us at home to reassure my mother that she would be well taken care of during her week long stay. The rooms are superb and are the vest of the facilities. My mother had nothing but praise when she came home.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

I like all the carers here. They are very helpful and respectful towards me. I enjoy having my daughter for Sunday lunch here at the home. I enjoy the meal times we have where everyone sits in the dining room. It's really nice having games like dominos and sometimes we have good singers.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

I defy anyone to find a more caring, loving, dignified staff and management. Over 3 1/2 years, my mum was given the best care and attention you could wish for. No-one staff ever raised their voice or showed any short temperedness to any resident. As you know there are some sad cases of dementia and they all got excellent care and treatment. There is always something entertaining happening for everyone. As I was visiting I was always included in all things and also fundraising events. I hope if I ever need the care in future, there will be a place for me at Earsdon Grange Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have only been in this care home for about four weeks, and so far have found it quite a pleasant place. The food is rather of sameness every day.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Good care, well managed, clean and great staff. Only thing dad complained about was the food.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

My aunt's condition, she appears to be fairly settled and happy now. Sometimes I find it hard to locate a staff member on EMI unit. However, overall things are OK. It would also be useful to be told when activities will take her out as on occasions e.g her birthday I was upset to find she had been taken out when I went to visit with other family members. Maybe a simple newsletter for the month ahead.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

Nicola Bell, Home Manager at Earsdon Grange Care Home responded to this review on 15 Sep 2016:

Thank you for your review and comments. Our home is fully staffed but we do get busy periods during the day and if staff members are assisting residents in their rooms then they may not be available when relatives are looking for them. If you find this to be the case then please feel free to use the nearest call button which will alert the staff that they are needed and they will be along as soon as they can.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by finding that your Aunt is on an outing when you came to visit. Relatives are free to visit at any time so if we don’t know that our residents are expecting visitors and they wish to go out then staff don’t usually say no. We do publish a monthly home newsletter which contains up and coming events and is available on our activities boards, however moving forward we are starting to compile a relatives email mailing list so that the newsletter can be emailed at the beginning of the month which we hope will be more convenient for relatives.

I am very happy with the level of care my Mum receives; she is well looked after and has definite staff preferences. The range of activities offered has improved in the last year and the staff work hard to involve my Mum in appropriate activities. I was disappointed and frustrated when the recent refurbishment failed to meet the individual needs of residents living with dementia (eg. removing the piano from the vintage cafe area and replacing it with a modern photo mural of an American city, repainting all the resident's bedroom doors the same colour when they had previously all been different colours to look like front doors).

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

Nicola Bell, Home Manager at Earsdon Grange Care Home responded to this review on 19 Sep 2016:

Thank you for your review and comments. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with the care delivered and the developments to our Activities programme. While we have had many positive comments following the recent refurbishment, we understand that the décor will unfortunately not be to everyone’s tastes and addressed any complaints raised at the time. We took the decision to remove the piano as it was very rarely used and we felt the space could be better utilised to expand the seating area in our coffee shop as it’s quite popular with residents and relatives and can get busy during events like our weekly coffee morning.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms welcoming, bright and clean. Range of on-site personal services good.
All problems reported have been promptly resolved.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

All staff take the time to listen to me if I have any concerns regarding my mother. I find staff pleasant and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mam is well looked after and all her needs are met.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

I visit the home 3 times a week. The home is as clean as any hospital I've been in. The staff are all very caring and nothing is too much trouble any concerns I do have are dealt with very quickly. The management will always listen to questions I have.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

My aunt was well provided for at Earsdon Grange Care Home. She particularly noted how wonderful all the staff were and I found her in good spirits on each of my visits. This was my aunts first time in respite, so the experience has helped her to consider returning another time. She needed the toilet raised and support rails whilst she was there and staff responded to her request. She was encouraged and supported to attend meals and activities in communal areas. There wasn't a radio or TV in her bedroom - I think she would have benefited from these.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

Nicola Bell, Home Manager at Earsdon Grange Care Home responded to this review on 18 May 2016:

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted to hear that your Aunt enjoyed her stay with us. Not all of our rooms have a radio or television unless one is brought in from home but this is certainly something we can look into for future respite stays.

Our mum was only resident in Earsdon Grange Care Home for 2 months. The care she received was outstanding. Mum was deteriorating rapidly so we visited every day. No matter what time we always felt she was receiving the best of care. We are a large family and in her final week we were all able to be with her. The staff laughed and cried with us and that made a traumatic situation bearable 100% marvelous.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

Most staff very helpful and very good with my mother.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

Enjoy living here, staff are good, don't like the foreign foods, more English meals.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Don't know

Nicola Bell, Home Manager at Earsdon Grange Care Home responded to this review on 31 Mar 2016:

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoy living here with us. Following feedback from residents we do like to offer a varied menu and include more exotic dishes occasionally to tie in with themed days but we will always make sure that there are alternative menu choices on offer so that you can pick the meals that you prefer.

Like the home, staff are fantastic, go out of their way, all friendly, meals are nice but sometimes get too much on the plate.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Likely

Thank you for your kind comments on our home and staff. We are very proud of our team here. I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying the meals, we do always offer generous portion sizes but we will let our kitchen team know that you would prefer smaller servings. If you ever have any specific menu or serving requests then just let one of the team know and we will be happy to accommodate.

I can only praise the care staff and management have given to my mum, she is so much happier since she has moved in. There is always something going on and all the residents are encouraged to join in. Her health and happiness has improved so much, she is a different person, I can only say again 10+ for the care and friendliness of all the staff. I really look forward to visiting my mum which I say with a happy feeling as I used to dread visiting her when she was at her own home. Well done Earsdon Grange.

How likely would you be to recommend Earsdon Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

My wife receives the care and respect I had hoped for. The judgement, and thought, that goes in to the care is excellent. Not just physical care, but the mental, and helpful understanding of the problems they encounter. These things help me to cope with the situation, knowing she is in good hands and very reliable people.

Submit a Review for Earsdon Grange Care Home

June 2017

December 2014

February 2014

Nicola

Nicola Bell

Job Title: Care Manager

Hello my name is Nicola Bell, I am the Registered Manager of Earsdon Grange care home, which is situated in Whitley Bay.

I have worked in the Health Care profession since 2002. I have completed my NVQ Level 2 and 3 and I am currently in process of completing a Leadership and Management Course.

We encourage people to visit us anytime and see for themselves the positive and friendly atmosphere that the team have, who work at Earsdon Grange care home.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Earsdon Grange Care Home