Acorn Grange Nursing Home

Vicarage Road, West Cornforth, Ferryhill DL17 9HU

Group: Manor Care Home Group

Person in charge: Donna Fagan (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Durham County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 48 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Visual Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £480 – £506 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Acorn Grange Nursing Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Visiting is unrestricted.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Acorn Grange Nursing Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Acorn Grange Nursing Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Acorn Grange Nursing Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.593 for Acorn Grange Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (105 Excellents x 5) + (56 Goods x 4) + (6 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 167 Ratings = 4.593

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Acorn Grange Nursing Home is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.6 positive Reviews (48 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 9.6 Target Reached = 1

9.6 Acorn Grange Nursing Home has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.593) from 14 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Acorn Grange Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to Acorn Grange Nursing Home

A very caring and friendly atmosphere. My mum has many difficulties with anxiety and since moving into Acorn Grange, the time I spend with her both in the home and outside of it, is much better and that is partly due to the staff and manager who are helping to support her to have a much better quality of life than she would otherwise.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Grange Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

I have always found the service to be good.
The staff are wonderful and welcoming and most importantly treat residents with dignity.
The staff have very good guidance from management and I have always found staff most accommodating and sympathetic to my needs as well as the resident.
The home has a nice atmosphere, friendly and homely.
I would not consider using it for one moment had I found it any other way.

As someone who had experience of the care home system, it was with some trepidation that I made the decision to move my mother to Acorn Grange Nursing Home. Mother and the rest of our family were immediately put at ease simply by the care shown and the decency afforded to both residents and visitors, in particular, the current management is first class leaving us safe in the knowledge that our loved one is receiving the care that she requires and indeed deserves.

Amanda, Administrator at Acorn Grange Nursing Home responded to this review on 13 Dec 2017:

Thank you for your lovely response. We are pleased your mother is settling in well.

We find this care home provides the right care for residents. Clean, safe environment, plenty of attention. Staff are caring and polite.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Grange Nursing Home? Likely

My relative has been a resident here for the last 21 months in that time, we have seen three changes of management and in two cases for the better. This establishment has a high standard of care, residents are well looked after and nothing is too much trouble for the staff when asked questions, very helpful. It's good to find a manager who is very approachable and this we have at Acorn Grange. Warm, cosy atmosphere. Staff very friendly. We are kept up to date with everything going on in the home and indeed if and when there are any problems arising concerning my relative

You may receive other reviews with all ratings as excellent but they will likely be exaggerated, but not in this case.
Five weeks ago I felt my life was at its lowest ebb when my wife had to be placed in care. I felt guilty as I could no longer manage home care, I sunk into deep depression and experienced thoughts of ending my life, but together with social worker support and the staff and manageress, they have given my wife a quality of life that I could not hope to give her.
I have been in every part of Acorn Grange and never seen such cleanliness, interaction with residents and every rating below is not any exaggeration but shows the quality of Acorn Grange. I owe them two lives.

Acorn Grange changed my grandma from being unhappy and unsettled (although we tried our best) to a glowing ray of sunshine. They kept her clean and tidy every single day. They work around the clock for each person in there and keep everything professional and everything is all about the residents. I recommend Acorn Grange to absolutely anybody who is struggling with Alzheimer's, they kept my grandma alive for as long as they did, and kept her happy with a twinkle in her eye until the very end. They treat the residents with dignity and respect in every aspect of care, they look after them with such respect. The carers do that good of a job, that the residents only ever feel fully safe around them, and look at them with love. Couldn't pick out a bad thing, and I visited my grandma a lot each week. No doubt about it, they gave my grandma the best care you could imagine.

Amanda Innis, Office Administrator at Acorn Grange Nursing Home responded to this review on 24 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review of our home and staff. We are pleased your Grandma felt happy and safe with us. Best wishes.

This care home has been a God send for my mother as she has Dementia. Staff are extremely friendly and nothing has been too much trouble to them. The food looks very appetising which is good to encourage the residents to eat. The rooms are very clean and bright. I didn't think my mother would settle in as well as she did but I think this was down to the staff and their professionalism.

Staff are very friendly and professional. Service users are well looked after and cared for with compassion and dignity. The activities are excellent and rooms are clean and tidy. When you ask the staff for help with anything, nothing is a problem to them.

Since my brother became a resident at Acorn Grange we have always thought he was well cared for.
The staff are really good and always very pleasant.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Grange Nursing Home? Likely

My wife was diagnosed with dementia and behavioural difficulties between October to December last year. After being sectioned twice in that time the decision was taken that she needed permanent care. After respite in Acorn Grange Nursing Home, we managed to have her there permanently. She settled in and after an initial period of adjustment has improved immensely in that I can now take her out myself without problems. The staff are excellent thoughtful and helpful. If I got to the same stage this is the place I would choose.

Very good, the wife likes it.

Acorn Grange is a hidden gem. The more I go the more I am impressed.
My husband has dementia and he has been going to Acorn Grange for regular respite over several months.
The home is very well managed and this is reflected in the wonderful caring staff.
They are always there, happy to help and answer any questions.
My husband loves going and although he has dementia, if he was treated unkindly he would not want to go.

My father in law has been in 'Acorn Grange Nursing Home' since February 2016. He has been well looked after by friendly staff. His room is fine but could be improved by en-suite facilities. Food is good and he is clean and safe. I think there could be more entertainment for residents. We visit dad every day and are welcomed by all staff. Like most homes, more staff should be welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Acorn Grange Nursing Home? Likely

Amanda Innis, administrator at Acorn Grange Nursing Home responded to this review on 30 Aug 2016:

Some of our rooms do have en-suite facilities. Please check with the Manager to see if any are available at present.

Submit a Review for Acorn Grange Nursing Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Acorn Grange Nursing Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Acorn Grange Nursing Home