Birchwood Grange Care Home, Harrow, London

Birchwood Grange in Kenton, Harrow, draws residents from diverse ethnic communities across north London, who are in need of residential, dementia, nursing or respite care.

The home is led by an inspirational and energetic manager who has put his own stamp on the building with his decorative animals and flowers and excellent quality of leadership.

The home is well settled in the local community with regular visits from faith groups, schools and voluntary organisations. It also offers plenty of trips out.

A wide variety of food to suit all tastes is on offer, often tailored to match the themed evenings.

Group: Avery Healthcare Group

Person in charge: Mark Bird (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: London Borough of Brent Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 150 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Gujarati

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single from £870 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Birchwood Grange Care Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.) (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Birchwood Grange Care Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Birchwood Grange Care Home: click here

9.8 Birchwood Grange Care Home has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.838)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Birchwood Grange Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 62 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Birchwood Grange Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 39 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.838 for Birchwood Grange Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (622 Excellents x 5) + (109 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 736 Ratings = 4.838

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Birchwood Grange Care Home is based on 39 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 30 positive Reviews (150 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 39 Reviews ÷ 30 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Birchwood Grange Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Birchwood Grange Care Home

• Volunteer

Birchwood Grange Care Home was the most caring care home I have ever seen. I would go numerous times a week to visit my father on many occasions taking my young son along with me. Every time we went my son was happy to come. From the moment we entered the place it was immaculate with a fish tank, flowers on the desk. Whenever we walked through the home during the day the residents were all up and dressed. Food time was not traumatic, the staff cared so much and made sure everyone was well fed. The decor of the walls was beautiful, especially the Alzheimer's unit. It showed pictures of the past and they wanted it to be a home away from home. My father was not in the home for long and went downhill fast, however they were always there for us either with a chair, cup of tea or even a hug! Even the day he passed away all the staff were so caring, compassionate and showed my father the utmost dignity. The care home was always safe, secure. From the outside, you wouldn't know it is a care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Birchwood Grange Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mark Bird, Home Manager at Birchwood Grange Care Home responded to this review on 26 Oct 2017:

I am pleased and humbled that you gave a lovely review, I will share this with the staff. Once again if I can be of any help in the future then please do not hesitate to contact me.
With kindest regards, Mark.

My husband who had Alzheimer's and was in Birchwood Grange Care home for the last 5 months of his life was treated with the utmost respect and dignity. The staff at the care home not only cared about him but my family also. I was extremely happy that he was able to spend the last months of his life in a place like that. It was a home away from home. We visited him every day, sometimes numerous times a day and the staff's care and compassion went past the call of duty. One such example was when my husband went to the hospital with pneumonia on a Friday afternoon the manager of the care home came all the way to the hospital to pick me up. The home was always spotless. The gardens are amazing, the food was always good and the staff were always pleasant. The residents were always clean and well looked after. Also, the activities were always nice, numerous times a week people were singing or doing other activities there.

Thank you so much for your lovely review. If I can be of any support in the future then please do not hesitate to contact me. With kind regards, Mark.

I can be very difficult at times but I like it here and I like the activities and the team. I get depressed and the staff take time to talk to me and take me out. The staff have been very kind to me and my brothers take part in the activities with me and this home has made me feel so much better.

I'm in the Asian unit, where everyone talks to me. I enjoy the temple in the morning and the music. My favourite is Bingo. I like visiting the temple when we get to go out. I like talking to the volunteers who are really nice.

What I enjoy about this home is everyone has lots of time for me. I enjoy playing chess with the activity team. I enjoy the food and the company, the staff make me laugh when I feel upset and it makes me forget I was ever unhappy. The home is like a hotel and I feel well looked after.

The home is nice and caring, my husband comes to see me and they make me feel very welcome.

Mark Bird, Home Manager at Birchwood Grange Care Home responded to this review on 18 Oct 2017:

Thank you so much for taking time to review us, If I can be of any help at all please do not hesitate to speak to me.

The food is lovely, the staff are really nice and friendly. I think this is a wonderful home, everyone is so nice. I love my room with the pictures and I like to go outside to the garden. I'm not strong enough to walk yet but everyone is willing to take me to where I want to go.

Thank you for taking the time to review us, it is always a pleasure to hear good things about the staff and the home, but more importantly, that you love your home as much as we do looking after you.

I've been here a long time and it's so much like a place I want to be. I'm happy and well looked after. Sometimes, I am confused and everyone in the home looks after me.

Thank you for taking the time to review the home, I am so pleased that you happy and if I can be of any support then please do hesitate to speak to the team at any time for support or just a chat.

Nice home. I like to walk around, sometimes I meet people I know and people talk to me and then I go and have a drink in the coffee lounge. I can go out with my sister sometimes.

How likely would you be to recommend Birchwood Grange Care Home? Don't know

The home is friendly, warm and kind. I like the breakfast and the music. The staff take care of me and I like the way that everyone talks to me.

Mark Bird, Home Manager at Birchwood Grange Care Home responded to this review on 17 Oct 2017:

Thank you Barbara I am so pleased you are happy and content, it is a pleasure to know you.

Everyone is nice to me and makes me drinks and helps me. I like my activities and the Asian food. Everyone is so friendly and makes so much fuss over me. I like it here and so does my mum who is also a resident here. We feel very much at home.

Dear Mukesh

Thank you for taking the time to review the home, I am so pleased you are happy and settled, it really is nice to hear this and if I can be of any assistance please ask to see me at any time.

I came to the home 6 months ago and everyone has been really nice to me. Staff go shopping for me and always ask how I am and if I need anything. The activity team always ask if I'd like to join any of the many activities and I really like my own room and the coffee lounge. The home shop has some nice treats too.

My mother was at Birchwood Grange care home for approximately 3 years. In that period my family and I got to know a lot of the staff.
I/we found the care to be above average, in fact very good, also the staff and managers were very helpful and accommodated many requests with smiles on their faces.

I enjoy the family coming to see me.
The carers are nice to me and look after me well.
I like my room and the home is nicely decorated.
I enjoy the Catholic services and the ladies come to give me communion.

The care is really good.
I like the music and activities, I go to as many as I can.
I also like the church services.
I like the food and my room, it's very peaceful.
The lounge is decorated like a hotel but is very welcoming.
I like to see what's going on, so enjoy being in the lounge.

The thing I like is to read.
There are lots of books in the library to borrow.
I like when the animals come to visit and I like the music and the people who sit at my table at meal times.
The care is very good, they are so kind and have a lot of patience when sometimes I'm not very happy.
The home is my home and I'm very happy.

I have been here nearly three years and it really feels comfortable and friendly. My bedroom is well furnished and clean and the facilities are very good. The social activities are enjoyable although I'm happy with my own company, and can phone my brother regularly and see him. I enjoy the food and am happy with the care from nurses and care assistants. I think the gardens and the building are very attractive.

I like it here it's really nice, friendly and caring. I like my room, love the colours, the bathroom and it's all very clean. Activities are good and I can ask for help when I feel down. The carers are really nice and listen to me. I love it here.

I think the home is really friendly. The carers look after me really well, the food is really tasty and I really enjoy the activities.

The activity co-ordinator is amazing, very helpful and caring. All of Astor unit staff are amazing and very helpful. My mum has been well looked after. I'm glad we chose Birchwood.

Since my husband has been in this care home he has become calmer and more settled. The carers are all very good with him and other residents. He has put on weight with the good food. They have a singer that comes in and sings with him in Greek and my husband comes alive, I can see my husband is very happy and content.
I would like to thank everybody involved as I can now feel at ease that he is safe and secure. Thank you very much.

I feel safe and comfortable in the home and well looked after. I like to watch TV and enjoy the food. I have no complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Birchwood Grange Care Home? Likely

It's beautiful. I like everything here so far. I enjoy the activities the most. I'm happy here and people are nice.

This is my home, I have made many friends and enjoy being with the activity team. I like to meet and greet new residents and show them around. I like going for walks in the garden.

I enjoy living here. I enjoy the activities and the food is very good. I get up and shower every day. Most of the time I like going and listen to all the activities.

Some very helpful staff. I chose this home out of 5 homes. I like the gardens, the view as you come in. The manager gave me a bottle of champagne, he is easy to talk to. I'm very happy here it's a lovely home.

Really impressed with the staff and management. Excellent manager - good sense of humour. Staff were kind and caring. Separate vegetarian kitchen provided for vegetarian people. Lots of activities to keep the residents entertained and pass their time.

Staff and management were polite, jolly, caring and good listers. The room and the whole of the care home was clean and pleasant to be in.

My mother was there just over a month. I found the facility to be well maintained and clean.
The staff were always helpful and friendly.
I would recommend Birchwood Grange to anyone who has a family member in the same situation.

My husband was treated with kindness and dignity during the last few weeks of his life. My daughter, son and I spent a large part of each day with him and always found the staff cheerful, helpful and caring, both to him and us. All of the staff went out of their way to help us through a very difficult time.

My father was treated with dignity and the staff were all very professional and caring. A great place for the last few days of my father's life.

My nan has never been happier or more looked after. The staff love her and know each resident personally as the management guidance is to create a home and family environment. Their daily life is activity based and full to the brim should they wish to join in. Might move in myself!

I visited several homes while looking for care for my friend, but Birchwood was an easy choice to make. As soon as you arrive the home feels light, happy and welcoming. It is beautifully decorated inside and the gardens are full of interesting features. There are lots of bright communal spaces, which gives a friendly feel.

The amazing thing about Birchwood Grange is the staff though. I can't begin to cover the many kindnesses shown to my friend (and to me) by everyone there. The carers and nurses are wonderful, they respond quickly and kindly and are so patient. The same team worked on my friend's unit so that I got to know everyone and my friend always knew who would be with him that day/night. The catering and activities teams took him under their wings and I felt that people at Birchwood went to extra lengths every day to help individual residents feel cared for.

My friend's stay at Birchwood was a terribly difficult time but I cannot imagine him being cared for by kinder people.

Birchwood is brilliant, the best care home I have visited, I have been coming here regularly for seven years. The staff are so friendly, caring, professional and such lovely people. I would recommend Birchwood to anyone I know.
Both my aunt and uncle have lived here and passed away here, but it has been like they were looked after as if they lived at ''The Ritz Hotel''

My dear friend had terminal cancer. She spent the last few weeks of her life here. All her friends were extremely happy about the treatment she received. Everyone from the manager to the cleaning staff was professional, helpful and caring. The rooms and buildings are clean, airy and well maintained. The surreal artwork outside also lifts visitors' spirits. I would strongly recommend that you consider Birchwood Grange Care Home when looking for a place for your loved one.
Although I have rated activities excellent I really have no knowledge of these as my friend was too ill throughout her stay.

My mother (97 years), spent many years prior to Birchwood Grange struggling to survive on her own in a ground floor flat with a little help from a contract care agency; never believing that anywhere other than her own home of 60 years would be as good. It was an absolute revelation when she experienced the most caring, competent, friendly and homely attributes of Birchwood Grange.
She was so happy in her new surroundings that the overall improvement in her health and wellbeing was very noticeable and she wishes she had made the move years ago. Thank you Birchwood Grange.

The best thing about Birchwood Grange is that even before you enter the home the outside is well kept and clean with little scenes and statues and lights which all make it look like a fun and calm place to be. The new entrance is lovely with a nice little cafe where you can have refreshments and take your loved ones.
The staff are always very friendly and always ask if you want refreshments too they have great entertainment regularly and celebrate all sorts of special days in any ethnic calendar. If you want to find a home for a loved one take a look at Birchwood Grange.

My Grandmother has resided in the Crocus ward since September of 2013 and I have been extremely satisfied with the level of care that she has received. All the staff have been nothing but kind to my Nana and being so far away it keeps my mind at ease knowing she is in good care.

The care given to my mother who is a 100 has been very impressive.

They show great compassion for all the residents even staying on longer to help when their shift is over.

They have a great range of activities for the residents.

The minute I came to visit Birchwood Grange Care Home I knew this was the place for Mum to be. Greeted by friendly staff from reception, carers and nurses and volunteers. The care Mum has received has been outstanding since she arrived in July of this year. Birchwood Grange Care Home is a fun place to be led by an energetic compassionate manager along with the management team. It's great to be in a home where people want to work.

The previous home my Great-Aunt was in was not very good, but so far I have heard nothing but positive feedback about this one. I hope the staff continues to look after her with care and attentiveness.

My aunt is in a much better place and properly cared for. The people are wonderful and so caring. The atmosphere is warm and friendly. The physical structure and surroundings are lovely. I will gladly recommend this facility to anyone.

Beechwood Grange Home is the best choice that any family can make when they need good 24/7 care for a relative. I knew that the family made the best decision even before we arrived at the residence because the ambulance driver and her colleague assured me that I made an excellent choice. Two days earlier, the taxi driver who drove me by the facility made the same comment, and they should know because I live in Canada.

Having being told and my research of the wonderful things about the home, I felt at ease knowing that when I leave, my aunt would be in good, capable, professional hands. I said 'yes' before I found out that there was a vacancy for my aunt.

My aunt's health and appearance have improved immensely since I took her to Beechwood Grange Home on September 1/2016. All of my inquiries are acted upon promptly and I have every confidence in the management and staff to do what's best for my aunt.

I would not hesitate to recommend Beechwood Grange Home.

Birchwood Grange holds a very special place in our family's heart. Our grandmother had suffered a stroke so needed 24/7 care. Birchwood not only looked after her with the utmost care and respect but the staff and residents became part of our family. We can never repay the staff of Birchwood for their amazing help and support of our beloved grandmother, who sadly passed away in 2013. Yesterday, as part of Sewa Day, the Young Lohana Society, a group of volunteers spent the day with residents. Once again Birchwood staff welcomed us in and helped make it a day to remember. Special thanks to the Activities Co-ordinator who was superb in helping us organise the day!

Good staff management and activities arrangement. Staff are very polite, helpful and very kind to the residents, no areas for improvement. The home itself is kept quiet clean and there are no complaints towards the cleanliness.

How likely would you be to recommend Birchwood Grange Care Home? Likely

I started volunteering about a month ago, and I LOVE IT. I look forward to coming to the care home every week, that I am actually considering volunteering more hours, hopefully. The workers there are so friendly and the residents so far are amazing. The only thing I will say is anyone could just walk in and not sign in - but that may be due to all the renovating that is currently going on.

The care home is well organised and clean. The staff treat the residents with care and dignity. The activities aim to include all the residents and a variety of activities. In particular the sensory room is very effective, interesting and fun.

Staff help residents with great care and provide an amazing service to them at all times i.e with their necessities. Employees make sure that the residents are happy and satisfied all the time.
Birchwood Grange Care Home has a very peaceful environment.

I am a student volunteer at the home from Preston Manor, the home is so friendly and I have been able to share in the life's of the elderly, the staff have been very good and I have seen now how to care for people who need help.

The home is bright and has so many activities for me to engage in with the residents. I am supervised but allowed to chat with the residents who are all happy.

I go to two homes as part of my course but Birchwood is really nice and my favourite. I want to thank the staff for allowing me to have work experience.

I have seen how kind and caring the staff are with the residents.

The care staff are so kind. My husband and I visit three times a week. Always smiling, laughter.
We are delighted, social activities are really good. We can see the manager when we want.
The lady at reception is so kind, we love Birchwood Grange.

I was really impressed with the staff and their interaction with the residents, the full activities programme and the whole ethos of the home.
The home is clean and well decorated and I was visiting a friends mother who was very settled and content.

Mum was a resident at Birchwood Grange for a year. I new straight away when I viewed the home that this was where mum would be happy.
Right from the first day, I felt mum was well looked after. She was encouraged to socialise with other residents but felt happy and safe with the staff. She always called them her friends.
Mum suffered from dementia, schizophrenia and had many health issues, a difficult resident at times but the staff were so patient and understanding that we as a family new her time at Birchwood was a God send for her final year.
The chef would cook her things that she would like to eat and the activity lady would encourage her to try different things. The doctor and nursing staff saved her life many times and that gave us the opportunity to spend more time with her, which we are truly grateful.

Very caring and hardworking team. They do understand the needs of the resident , which is much appreciated by the relatives.
Management team are always available to listen and act on any issues which are raised.

How likely would you be to recommend Birchwood Grange Care Home? Likely

Due to old age and unable to walk again my mother was confined to a wheelchair and we had no option but to put my mother into a care home. I visited so many care homes in the Harrow and Brent area and Birchwood Grange is one of 2-3 homes of very good quality. Its not cheap (one of the best top end ones) but its good value for money. The home is airy, clean, great grounds and the staff put their best efforts to ensure my mother's stay there is comfortable and a "home away from home". Initially it is important you work with the staff and management to ensure they get to know the resident as quickly as possible - usually takes 3-4 weeks. My mother is very happy there and apart from the good food (cater for asian community as well), care quality and well trained staff the distinguishing factor is the varied daily activities program residents can participate. Birchwood Grange takes pride in this and make the residents brain and body engaged and active. A highly recommended home.

My father in law was moved to Birchwood Grange Care Home in July 2015. Our very first impression of both the manager, his staff and the home itself was just outstanding. They were so professional and showed us so much empathy and sympathy to our situation that we both felt very calm and very reassured that our loved one was in very safe hands and in fact my father in law has gone through a personality change since being at Birchwood. He is no longer aggressive and is now a very calm and content person - solely due to his environment and the outstanding staff who care for him.
I do not know how to express our sincere gratitude and appreciation to the management and staff at Birchwood. They have just been so incredibly supportive and caring. The home's facilities are excellent and they definitely cater to individual needs and requirements. Our personal thanks to all the staff!

My mother has stayed at Birchwood Grange on a number of occasions when on respite and I would not have my mother stay anywhere else but Birchwood Grange. The staff and management are 10 out of 10. The layout and premises and the grounds are second to none.

My Grandmother was a Birchwood Grange for a year and I know when I visited she was well looked after, she had a nice room and had made friends and said she really liked the staff. At Christmas and her birthday every one made her feel really special and they made us feel very welcome.

My mother in law was very well looked after, she was happy when we visited and always clean and nicely dressed. She was always hugging and kissing the staff as if they were part of her family. The home was always a cheerful place with lots of visitors and activities.

Having been a hospital chaplain for over ten years I have had contact with many nursing homes. Many of these were pretty poor both in quality and care. I am writing as I found Birchwood Grange to be the exact opposite. From the moment I entered your home it felt like home with it's friendly welcoming environment. It was clean and everybody that I encountered seemed happy and peaceful.
Having studied Dementia for my Masters thesis I found your "connect" programme of great interest. This is a wonderful discovery and one I wish I had known about a few years ago.
I praise your staff for their friendliness and knowledge. I found your manager to be extremely friendly and very informative.
I think you are all doing a great job. Thank you.

Birchwood Grange care home is a nice, clean, organised and structured care home. The staff are always welcoming, warm, friendly and always willing to assist my uncle. I have no worries or concerns about my uncle's care. He is well looked after and is always involved in variety of activities provided by the home activity coordinators. The meals choices is to an excellent restaurant standard. They have recently created a sensory room where residents go to chill and relax. I would recommend Birchwood Grange Care Home to anyone and everyone. The management team is always professional and available to speak to residents and relatives. The structure of the management team is solid and effective.

My mum was moving after an assault in her prior home, I was un-trusting and stressed emotionally suffering guilt, now wanting to make up to my mum for what happened in a place I put her into. I did not foresee a place like Birchwood. It's care, uniqueness and staff/management - The facilities are second to none.
It's hard placing someone you love in a home, I experienced the worst possible outcome, Birchwood restored my mum to herself and in truth me also. The staff are attentive, trained, happy and part of Birchwood's family.
The activities team are outstanding, the rooms and environment here (with the ongoing improvements) are amazing, My mother has never been so happy. You are not a patient, you are you and encouraged to be so. Birchwood really has changed our lives.

If you're thinking of visiting, do so, but Birchwood really is the jewel in the crown which continues to go the extra mile time and time again.
It's it's own world, like the residents can often be in theirs, a perfect match.

Lovely home, we moved our friend into Birchwood, the previous home was awful, now he has a life and is so happy, he has changed for the better and now is well cared for and the staff, well amazing. They will do anything for you.

Simply we can sleep at night now.

Submit a Review for Birchwood Grange Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Birchwood Grange Care Home