Red Court Care Home, Croydon, London

Red Court are proud to be a place where their residents can feel at home and continue to be part of the local community.

Red Court is an elegant listed building that has been sensitively modernised, whilst retaining many original features. We’re lucky to be in a peaceful neighbourhood near Croydon, surrounded by over an acre of landscaped gardens, as it means we can offer residents a comfortable and homely place to stay.

The home provides nursing, palliative, respite and convalescence care. It could be that you’re going away and you want peace of mind that you’re loved one won’t be on their own, or they might need to recuperate after an operation or illness. Also, if your operation is planned, staff can work with you to arrange for care ahead of this taking place.

Enjoying food is an important part of life. The chefs create well-crafted menus made with the freshest ingredients, catering for all ethnicity groups. Soon after a resident arrives at Red Court, staff discuss their personal preferences and dietary needs with them.

There’s a real sense of community at the home. The staff work to discover what residents enjoy doing and the home's social calendar is organised around those interests. So whether your loved one already has a hobby or would like to take up a new one, there’s lots of exciting activities to get involved in. Anyone is welcome to pop in and join in, whether you’re friend, relative or loved one.

Person in charge: Natasha Shillingford (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: London Borough of Croydon Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 35 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): French, Italian, Shona, Swedish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Red Court Care Home: click here

posted 06 Nov 2017

Beautiful premium ensuite room with patio doors leading out to the garden, situated in a quiet residential area with good transport links.

9.6 Red Court Care Home has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.605)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Red Court Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 24 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Red Court Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.605 for Red Court Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (206 Excellents x 5) + (58 Goods x 4) + (13 Satisfactorys x 3) + (7 Poors x 2) + (2 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 286 Ratings = 4.605

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Red Court Care Home is based on 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 7 positive Reviews (35 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 16 Reviews ÷ 7 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Red Court Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Red Court Care Home

Everyone at Red Court were very caring not only when looking after my Aunt but also very helpful and kind to myself and other family members.

My aunt only stayed a short time whilst recovery from a period in hospital but was very well looked after and she would definitely return should the need arise.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 20 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that your aunt was well cared for and that she would like to return to us if the need arose.

As soon as we entered Red Court for an initial visit we were met with a very kindly, warm welcome.
The staff have always been friendly and caring and very understanding, in what have been difficult circumstances at times.
For those who are able or wish to participate, there are a wide variety of activities available to the residents. The quality of the food always looks appetising and healthy but there are other options available if something else is preferred.
The home is always clean, tidy and beautifully decorated and the grounds equally well cared for.
I have no hesitation in currently recommending Red Court.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 15 Nov 2017:

My aunt was made so welcome from day one, nothing is too much trouble, lovely room, well furnished and the food was excellent and tailored to her needs. The staff are caring and attentive. Plenty of activities, including days out which she thoroughly enjoyed. The only reason she moved from here was to be near her family. It does need more parking but you can park on the road nearby.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 19 Oct 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that your aunt was happy and well cared for in our care and the kind words about our staff. I hope that she is happy in her new home.

So great for Mum to be able to return to familiar surroundings and people at Redcourt while I have a couple of weeks break. As usual she got a lovely welcome from staff who remembered her and helped her settle into a lovely newly decorated room.

Although Mum has been managing her own medication, staff noticed that she was beginning to get in a muddle and sensitively took over, dispensing as necessary. This professional, unfussy approach helps me feel confident that while I am on holiday should Mum's condition or ability deteriorate, she is in a safe place where staff care and respond to her changing needs.

As usual when I collected her, Mum told me of the many activities and social relationships she had enjoyed and left telling everyone she was hoping I would book another holiday soon!

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 28 Sep 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that your mum enjoyed her stay with us again and hope that she will visit us again.

Having had a poor experience elsewhere, I was very sceptical about finding a home where I would be happy to move my mother who has dementia. We looked at several which only made me more concerned, however, after visiting Red Court we were pleasantly surprised. She only moved in a few weeks ago but the welcome was fantastic and the ongoing care has been excellent; all the staff without exception are friendly and caring. Mum’s condition had deteriorated badly in the previous home, however, since receiving such good care at Red Court, she has genuinely improved with a much happier demeanour which in turn has made me much happier. I visit her every day but feel happy leaving her there in the knowledge that she will be well looked after. She is always clean, well dressed and well fed - the food is excellent. Everyone from the manager to the cleaner seems to have the same desire to help. The home is very well kept with beautiful gardens and a range of activities; it has exceeded all expectations.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 30 Jun 2017:

Thank you for sharing your experience with Red Court care home with us, we really appreciate hearing your feedback. I am so pleased to hear that your Mother is happy in our home, and that you can peace of mind knowing she is being well looked after with love and care by our staff. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My mother had cancer and was within weeks of dying. We needed the best care & I trusted the name BUPA. After 3 weeks, I hired a private ambulance & moved her to a care home in Farleigh.

The staff were kind, the Head of Nursing competent, but the home seemed underfunded, understaffed relying on agency staff. At 6 pm mother was often in a wet pad & the staff were serving meals. It was a case of he who pleads the loudest ... After 5 pm, management staff were "on-call".

The sheets were worn with holes, the blanket was matted, the pureed diet agreed with the Home Manager kept reverting back to a soft diet & I would go to the kitchen to find the chef had gone home. There was no stretcher lift and ambulance crews were asked to take a stretcher up/down a grassy bank.

I agonised about moving her, but the final straw was when mother’s unopened bottle of perfume disappeared from her room. I didn't want my mother dying there & thankfully, moving her turned out to be the right decision.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Management: Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

Rooms: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

We take all comments extremely seriously and are very disappointed to hear that you are unsatisfied with your experience of care at one of our homes. Our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We would like to contact you so that we can discuss this in more detail and investigate it fully. Please can you contact our customer services team by emailing feedback@bupa.com or call 0113 381 6293 so that we can discuss this feedback further? The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Staff very welcoming, friendly, caring, patient.
Very homely atmosphere in nursing home.
Questions and "snags" dealt with quickly.
Very happy atmosphere throughout the home.
Any requests - nothing is too much trouble for staff to attend to.
Altogether a lovely place to receive nursing care.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Simone Berkeley, Customer Service Advisor at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 25 May 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate you sharing them with us, we will pass the comments to the home manager.

The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I have nothing but praise for my experience so far at Red Court.
My husband was admitted in mid-April and immediately made welcome.
He has since been well cared for and appears to have settled in well.
The staff have all been wonderful - very caring and friendly to both of us.
My family and I viewed 16 nursing homes before finding Red Court and we have certainly not been disappointed in our choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I was very happy with Red Court. The care home exceeded my expectations, the staff were really friendly and made my mother, who turned 90 during her three-month stay, very comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble and they were really caring during the last days before she passed away. The staff were especially caring towards me and my brother, who spent the last three days and nights at the home. Price-wise, it is towards the high end, but bearing in mind what other, far less pleasant homes in the area are asking, I felt it was well worth it and would highly recommend it to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 11 May 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

My father spent just over two weeks here before he died a couple of days ago, but I felt that I had to write something to praise the staff at Red Court ... I cannot put it into words well enough to reflect what they have been like, from the initial meeting to the final hours ... I cannot praise them enough. My dad was not in the best of health and at the end of his life, but hopefully, he would have been able to recognise how caring and understanding they are there. They couldn't do enough for me, and even when I was called in when they initially thought that he was likely to pass away that night, they checked in on him and me pretty much on the hour every hour and kept me fed and watered as well. I would absolutely recommend this care home to anyone. Every time you go there, all the members of staff you see say hello and recognise you, and are happy to spend the time with you to answer ANY questions you have. I'm really happy that my dad spent his last days here.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jamie, National Development Manager at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 28 Mar 2017:

The care home is located in spacious, well-kept grounds, in an easily accessible position close to Croydon town centre. There is a friendly and welcoming atmosphere as soon as you enter the home. In my experience, all of the staff are of a caring nature and enjoy their work. They get to know the residents and their individual requirements and endeavour to make them feel that they are in a "homely" type of environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 05 Apr 2017:

Thank you for sharing your kind review with us, we really appreciate hearing your feedback. I am so pleased that you are happy with Red Court. It is our duty to make our residents feel at home, so I am pleased to hear the atmosphere at Red Court reflects that. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Standard of care varies at Red Court. Some days they are short staffed (due to last minute sickness) and at some times of day, there are few staff available. The carer's breaks need to be better organised to maintain cover. Residents are not taken to the toilet often enough and sometimes you can hear people shouting for help.
One senior nurse has left and not been replaced so the level of expertise has dropped. At weekends there is sometimes only an agency nurse on duty.

We used to have a review each month with a nurse and that seems to have stopped. My brother has suffered pressure sores on his feet - that I noticed luckily.
Most of the staff are caring and work hard but some lack common-sense.

The activities are well organised and run well during the week; at the weekend there is not much going on.
The home is in a quiet setting with a garden and patio. The rooms are kept clean and are light and airy. Food is better now.
The receptionist is very caring, helpful and observant.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Likely

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing are our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I've been very pleased with the level of service for my dad. The home is a safe and friendly environment, well run to high standards but in a relaxed and informal way. His room is very comfortable with views onto the garden and a park beyond. He loves the food and the copious quantities of tea and cake! The staff are competent and seem well trained and professional. They record his condition and respond to his needs well. They deliver their care in a warm and friendly manner. Dad loves the excellent and wide range of activities which are provided from music to games to art. The home is responsive to family requests and suggestions. Communication with nursing staff, reception and management is easy and is actively encouraged.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jamie, National Development Manager at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 24 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

I spent some 3 weeks at this home for a rest following surgery. It was a friendly environment and afforded opportunities for activities or relaxation as desired. Staff and residents shared a good familiar companionship.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Adminstrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 17 Mar 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments on to the home manager. Best wishes, The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Red Court is an amazing nursing care home. The staff are welcoming and friendly. They made my Mum feel at home and she settled in remarkably. It was very comforting knowing that all my mother's needs were met and she was happy being here on respite.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 10 Mar 2017:

Such good care with a lot of kindness. A very nice room. Food is excellent with a tremendous choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2017:

Mum has been staying here for respite care following 3 very stressful hospital stays. She has been well cared for and the manager and the staff have all been very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father stayed at Red Court for 10 days in September 2016 having been discharged from the hospital, but being too unwell to return home.
During his short stay, we were really impressed with the level of care he received. The management team have a genuine interest in providing the best possible care in a safe, clean and happy environment. They went above and beyond, sitting with him just to chat, but also patiently helping him to eat at meal times and he was always treated with respect and dignity when being showered or helped in the toilet.
We, the family, were kept informed daily as to how dad was doing and when his condition deteriorated rapidly, thanks to the experience and advice of the staff, my brother was able to fly over to see dad 8hrs before he died.
We spent his last day gathered around his bed chatting. The staff were wonderful, they kept us supplied with tea, sandwiches and biscuits for 10 hrs!
They ensured dad was comfortable and pain-free right to the end!
We can't thank them enough!!

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 26 Oct 2016:

Care could not have been any better.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 08 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I came to Red Court after an operation and spent one week being cared for. This was to recuperate before going straight home. I was very well looked after in every way.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 07 Jul 2016:

My mother' stay at Red Court provided a welcome respite pre-operative and post-operative. However there was an inconsistency in the quality of care provided whilst there were some genuinely kind carers the stay was marred by a few who were rude and unkind. We did not feel that we were getting value for money as the cost is not cheap! There was also a lack of communication between staff which led to a few awkward moments including we having to search for staff to carry out pre-arranged tasks. These comments are made in order for reflection and positive changes. Thank you.

Value for Money: Poor

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 06 Apr 2016:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Staff very caring, nursing excellent. Nursing home and grounds beautiful.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear about your positive experience of our home and will share your comments with the homes manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I have visited many nursing homes over the past 20 years and I can truly say that this is my first experience of a family situation where everyone is treated as an important part of a loving, caring community. The entire staff of this home treat every resident with such care and understanding, the place just oozes with kindness. As with all concerns, everything depends on the person in charge and this is so obviously well run.

How likely would you be to recommend Red Court Care Home? Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Red Court Care Home responded to this review on 10 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I drop in at odd times to see my mother. I am not predictable in my visits. When I do call my mother is always happy, often taking part in the daily organised activities. All the staff are kind and considerate and nothing is too much trouble for them. They know my mother and tell me what she has been doing. I highly recommend Red Court Care Home.

Submit a Review for Red Court Care Home

Top 20 Care Homes London 2017

Recipient: Red Court Care Home

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Red Court Care Home