Brentwood Care Centre

Larchwood Gardens, Pilgrims Hatch, Brentwood CM15 9NG

Brentwood Care Centre is a nursing and residential home offering both respite and long term care. This friendly home has specialist care communities tailored to meet the varying needs of residents who may be physically frail and suffer from short term memory loss or Dementia.

Residents of Brentwood have their privacy and dignity respected within a light and bright, purpose built home with bedrooms and en-suite facilities. Residents have a choice of day areas and a delightful garden to enjoy and there is a team of helpful and supportive activity staff for those who want to revisit old hobbies or experience new past times.

Brentwood Care Centre pride themselves on specialist, personal care delivered by professionally trained staff. In addition to registered nurses and healthcare assistants, the care provider has a range of maintenance and service teams to support the lifestyles of residents.

Group: RCH Ltd

Person in charge: Sharon Osborne (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 112 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: All admissions are subject to pre-assessment. Ages 65+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Brentwood Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Brentwood Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 26 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Brentwood Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.302 for Brentwood Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (156 Excellents x 5) + (106 Goods x 4) + (34 Satisfactorys x 3) + (7 Poors x 2) + (5 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 308 Ratings = 4.302

The 4.58 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Brentwood Care Centre is based on 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 22.4 positive Reviews (112 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 13 Reviews ÷ 22.4 Target = 0.580

8.9 Brentwood Care Centre has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.882) from 26 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Brentwood Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Brentwood Care Centre

I have found all staff, carers, laundry and cleaners to be friendly and ready to help. There is always a cheery 'hello' from everyone and admin staff are excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother has moved around various units in this care centre due to unforeseen circumstances including refurbishment work. The unit she is now in, Kensington, is the best unit for my mother, with continuity of staff who all know her personally and her needs, from carers, cleaners, laundry and activity staff. She is very settled and has made many friends and the management are very good at keeping me informed of any issues. I can recommend this care centre and particularly the unit where my mother is safe and well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Home is very clean and tidy. Dad is very well looked after. He is safe there. Staff are always happy and greet you with a smile and are happy to answer any questions you may have.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother who sometimes can be somewhat difficult is treated with kindness and respect by the staff. Under the new management, I have found that if you have a problem, you can always talk with them and they deal with the problem almost immediately.
Things have improved 100%.
The staff are excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My nan has been at the home for 2 and a half years. Since the new manager, the overall care/support and general well being of the home have improved a great. The staff are happier, therefore the residents are happier too.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Likely

Brentwood Care Centre has a very warm and welcoming feel as soon as you arrive. My mother has settled in very quickly despite a stressful move when her old home closed down. I am extremely happy to see her so settled. Brentwood Care Centre is wonderful!

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Brentwood Care Centre nursed my grandmother through the final months of her life in the most wonderful way. They cared for her as closely as her family would have done, treating her with kindness and love for the entire 5 months she was there. We had had a very bad experience with a care home elsewhere which the hospital had transferred her too, which saw her deteriorate hugely. But the minute we moved her to Brentwood she was a different person. Although bed bound and not eating they kept on trying and made sure she was hydrated. They dealt with the doctors in a timely manner making sure visits occurred when they should and I believe kept her alive and at a good standard of living for longer than she would have been anywhere else. I cannot thank the staff enough for also helping my mum get through this difficult time and at the end being so kind and compassionate. I would highly recommend this home.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Went to review this home for my mother and was very impressed with the standards I found.
The staff are caring and supportive to the residents and the home and rooms are very clean. The only negative for me was the cost, I believe that many care homes charge a high rate relative to the care package.
My mother has brightened up considerably since entering this home.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I considered Brentwood Care Centre through a recommendation, which proved to be a good decision. From taking the first respite booking, I have felt in very homely surroundings. The front staff have listened and actioned my requests. The staff in Windsor, especially two Senior Health Care Assistants, have helped the resident to appreciate being involved with others, by encouraging his personality to come to the fore as sitting at home alone was very difficult for him. They have dealt with his needs compassionately.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Likely

Very pleased with the care Mum is receiving. Staff, in general, are very good. Her room is kept very clean. I feel happy that Mum is in safe hands, which takes a lot of pressure off family members. They are always welcoming when you arrive.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

As a family, we are grateful that my father was able to be cared for at Brentwood Care Centre. It is local for my mother to visit and homely. All the staff are very nice and friendly, and nothing is too much trouble for them.

Only I worry - I don't feel there are any activities for my father to be part of. I haven't witnessed any yet, but he has only been here for 3 weeks. A ball game, skittles etc, as he used to play them at his day centre, would be stimulating for him.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Likely

My father stayed here for a month whilst we went on a long holiday. He really enjoyed the experience and I would be very happy to leave him here again.
Staff were caring, professional and his room was very comfortable.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My Mother-in-Law is constantly concerned about staffing levels and the amount of staff leaving. She has also, on several occasions, complained about the food, saying it is tasteless and she doesn't know what she's eating!

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Likely

Jackie Cridlin, Sales & Marketing Manager at Brentwood Care Centre responded to this review on 06 Jun 2017:

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us and for your good and positive ratings. I am sorry to hear that your relative has these concerns with regards to staff, I would be most happy to meet with you to show you exactly how we determine how we staff our units and what steps we take in the event of a staff shortage. With regard to your comments about the food, I am delighted to inform you that we have a new chef who has now taken over the kitchen department and we are very much looking forward to seeing some new and delicious items appearing on the menu in the very near future. We would also be delighted if you would join us for dinner one day so you can sample the food for yourselves, we are confident that we can demonstrate a new and higher quality service and that you will be reassured. Please do contact me and we can arrange this for you.

Kind regards

General Manager - Brentwood Care Centre

From the first day my brother was admitted, he has been treated with great care, patience and respect.
My sister and I are kept fully informed and our questions regarding his dementia are answered in full.
In the hospital, they regularly used a sedative to control his erratic behaviour but since he's been at Brentwood they have managed his condition without the use of sedatives.
We are extremely happy with the care he has received.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

We are very pleased with the level of support we have received from the care centre.
Our brother is happy and well cared for.
We are impressed with the kindness of the staff, our questions and any concerns have been swiftly and fully dealt with.
We are confident that our brother is safe and looked after and would have no hesitation in recommending the care centre to others.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I have been living at Brentwood Care Centre for five months respite after an injury to my back. I've been treated excellently by staff and management/office staff. When I came out of hospital following an operation and I came home to a warm, welcoming return. Everyone has been really helpful and kind with nursing me back to full health. I am leaving at the end of the week and I am really going to miss everyone!

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My husband has been here for approximately two months and eating very well. He now makes eye contact wit me and smiles at me. He has not done this for two years. His surroundings are bright and clean and the staff are always cheerful to him. The staff display a great deal of kindness to all the residents and they are very patient.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Mike Higginson, COO at Brentwood Care Centre responded to this review on 13 Mar 2017:

Dear Joyce thank you very much for your review.

For the past two years, I have been very pleased with the care my mother has received at Brentwood care Centre. The staff are friendly, professional and keeping me informed at all times. Also impressed with management if I have any worried.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

It feels like home because of the way I'm looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The carers, on the whole, work hard but they have too many people and duties to attend to. Some of the night staff seem very uncaring. Management very complacent and leave carers to do jobs which they should be doing.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Unlikely

Jackie Cridlin, Sales & Marketing Manager at Brentwood Care Centre responded to this review on 03 Mar 2017:

I am saddened to hear how you feel about Brentwood Care Centre. Delivering good care is above and beyond what my team and I strive to deliver and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns and look at how we can meet your expectations. I look forward to meeting you very soon. Kind regards, Lisa Bexton, General Manager, Brentwood Care Centre.

Staff are friendly and hardworking. Food okay, nice size rooms, sometimes cleaning is not to the standard required.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Likely

Karen Curtis-Brown, Administrator at Brentwood Care Centre responded to this review on 10 Feb 2017:

Thank you for your review.

My father enjoys the home and had the fondest of thoughts for the staff at Sandringham - this makes us very happy because my father is always happy. The staff at Sandringham are so helpful and kind, they help my dad greatly and always have time for him. This makes his life so much easier and knowing my dad is taken care of makes me content and happy. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Karen Curtis-Brown, Administrator at Brentwood Care Centre responded to this review on 09 Feb 2017:

Thank you for your lovely review of the staff and care home.

Very sad this home has issues regarding communication in relation to resident care plans and very poorly motivated carers. There are no specialist services as the website suggests. Care is basic and frequently different carers and agency staff due to high staff turnover.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Unlikely

My father has been in Brentwood Care Centre for 18 months. His care has been excellent. The staff work very hard in demanding circumstances. My father's room is adequate and the food is excellent. There are many activities for the residents. The entertainment staff work very hard. I believe my father is well cared for. Sometimes there is a shortage of staff on my father's unit.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

A lot is pleasant, but the garden furniture is shameful.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Likely

Mike Higginson, Chief Operating Officer at Brentwood Care Centre responded to this review on 17 Aug 2016:

Thank you for the review, new garden furniture has now been purchased and we look forward to our residents enjoying our lovely gardens with ease.

We are extremely happy with the care mum is receiving. She is very happy and settled even though she has only been a resident for 6 months. If any problems occur we are notified very quickly. The staff are all extremely patient and genuine.

How likely would you be to recommend Brentwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Mike Higginson, C.O.O at Brentwood Care Centre responded to this review on 15 Mar 2016:

Thank you very much for your positive feedback we are very pleased that you would recommend the service.

Submit a Review for Brentwood Care Centre

Top 20 Mid-size Care Home Groups 2018

Recipient: RCH Ltd

Top 20 Mid-size Care Home Groups 2017

Recipient: RCH Ltd

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Brentwood Care Centre